Why Did Dreamcast flop?

Oroko Saki

The Shredder
Daps
I got a Dreamcast for sale all cords, a controller, VMU and games for $45 shipped. :Jordan:

I know a store where I can get it for a similar price. I went through 3 dreamcast systems back in the day so Id prefer to be able to easily exchange it for another if necessary

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
250px-ShenmueDCbox.jpg

:ahh: :to: We ain't ever going to see Shenmue 3 come out!!! :sadbron:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Bane

The Fire Rises
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That Dreamcast Memory card was fun all by it's self

I still think the DC was the best system. Skies of Arcadia was probably one of the best RPG I ever played.

Battle Beast

Over 9000!
Daps
Reppin
Jersey City, New Jerz
Dreamcast was dope. We would have tournaments at my boy house ordering mad dominos and drinks playing tournaments for ready 2 rumble, powerstone, virtua tennis, nfl 2K1. We used to get intense for NBA 2K1 though if you got smashed by more than 20 points nigguhz would miss a turn if you was on the receiving end of an epic asswhuppin, we called it the "betty ford clinic".

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think EA dropping support didn't help, but I think what killed it was the pirating. I don't know anyone that owned a dreamcast that actually bought more than 2 games. I mean dreamcast had a shyt load of quality games, but everyone just downloaded them. I think if they made it harder to burn games for it, it probably would have survived. It wouldn't have beat out the PS2, but it would be the solid #2 .

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
one thing that I havnt seen mentioned in this thread is how sega alienated its own audience when it dropped Saturn.

we talked about the core audience and identity that sega established for itself with the genesis. but they basically handed both the audience and identity over to SONY when playstation came out. its crazy how sega tried to move in a completely different direction with Saturn.

I think this hurt them in the long-run as well. there was a chitload of brand-loyalty money that they tossed in the bushes when Saturn dropped. they didn't even have to do much. if they would've just launched the system with a prominent football & basketball title, they would've been str8. a lot of genesis money would've crossed over to the Saturn.

I think EA dropping support didn't help, but I think what killed it was the pirating. I don't know anyone that owned a dreamcast that actually bought more than 2 games. I mean dreamcast had a shyt load of quality games, but everyone just downloaded them. I think if they made it harder to burn games for it, it probably would have survived. It wouldn't have beat out the PS2, but it would be the solid #2 .

yea, 2k sports was HUGE fresh out the gate. nba 2k was arguably getting more respect than nba live right from the start. and nfl 2k was of course a huge deal.

but yea, the piracy was insane. Im looking at people list these games. most of them I never played, but I distinctly remember the names because blank discs with those titles written on them were rampantly being sold in school.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Dreamcast was dope. We would have tournaments at my boy house ordering mad dominos and drinks playing tournaments for ready 2 rumble, powerstone, virtua tennis, nfl 2K1. We used to get intense for NBA 2K1 though if you got smashed by more than 20 points nigguhz would miss a turn if you was on the receiving end of an epic asswhuppin, we called it the "betty ford clinic".

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

loved that game

ryshy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
newwave
wat happen with ea?

aight so sega has a history of fukking up, something people in this thread didnt find necessary to bring up

errybody was hella hype for the saturn, a good console, an they (sega) said it was gonna come out in like a year, like that was the official release date, but then at E3 they decided to throw a curveball an release it in 4 months from that day, when it was supposed to drop way after that. All the game companies were pissed af cuz they didnt have time to make the games, and because it was a terrible business decision. EA was the most pissed an they decided to never make games for sega consoles again, along with some other top developers

this would prove to fukk sega over for ever, since the companies still didnt make games for the dreamcast. Its segas fault tho cuz they fukked up a few times, so naturally people were apprehensive about supporting them, even customers.

plus the saturn was hard as hell to program games for, so that mixed with the release date botch probably just made the developers say fukk it, since the PS1 was comin too an that shyt was real af