Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness?

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Yup, always said that saying was bs. If figure the main people that started it were poor people to make themselves feel better and rich people because they probably genuinely don’t worry about it since they have so much :yeshrug:

and I’m not saying money solves 110% of problems, but, me having more money and not having to worry about going to some bum ass job I hate, being stressed about bills and having the ability to travel/explore my passions alone would remove like 80% of the stress and unhappiness from my life.

Except it’s not BS cause people with money always commit suicide. People who work at jobs that pay stupid money are always the ones crying about depression and often will take a pay cut to explore happiness.

A lot of y’all don’t really understand the saying.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness? :dahell:

Motherfukker, it definitely can and does :ufdup:

Was this idea just started by rich people to keep the middle and lower classes down. To stop them from trying to make more money for themselves?
full

I was looking back at my life. When I was poor, making like $30K a year, I was always anxious, worried, and depressed.

Every time I level up to a new salary level, my life improves. Less worry, freedom to pursue the hobbies I enjoy. Freedom to eat out at nice restaurants. The ability to take vacations and travel. Nicer material goods. More self-esteem. Better cloths and cars. Etc, etc.

fukk this conspiracy that tells us money can’t buy happiness. Money is the tool you can use to do whatever you want. Being wealthy is a freedom not many people have... maybe by design
full
it does correlate with happiness up to a certain amount so yeah if youre only making 30k a year you wont be happy but i think it was around 90k or so where it doesnt.

wtfyomom

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Money can buy happiness. It doesn't always though. But it can. Money is the ultimate stress reliever.

If you gave the average person $500,000, they would definitely be happier. You can pay off debt, get a new car, go on vacation, invest some, and even take time off from your job to focus on your passions.

The only time money doesn't buy happiness is if you are born into a lot of money, as others have said.

Basically, if you have passions and dreams you care about, then money will make you happy since it can help continue doing those things.

But if you don't care about the little things in life, than money won't automatically make you happy.
its not really money thats making you happy though then. its just the medium under this system that buys "freedom"

wastedmermaid

Superstar
Daps
Except it’s not BS cause people with money always commit suicide. People who work at jobs that pay stupid money are always the ones crying about depression and often will take a pay cut to explore happiness.

A lot of y’all don’t really understand the saying.
How many people in the top 1% are really offing themselves at high rates tho compared to everyone else?

At least when you have money and are established you can afford to take a pay cut and explore other shyt. If you’re poor you don’t even have the option and you gotta stay at some BS job just to not starve. And for every depressed guy making 500k+ there are probably 1000 other minimum wage workers that feel just as shytty if not more.

and I assumed this thread was talking about making a lot more money doing something you don’t hate.

Last edited:

Johnny Kilroy

79 points in 1 quarter
Daps
Reppin
the midrange
What is true happiness? Is it just a chemical reaction, a natural drug? I guess I don’t know. I should probably explore that more in depth :hubie:

Then what does money have to do with it? If money made happiness, then why would you ever be unhappy unless you lost your money? :jbhmm:

The truth is happiness is a choice. We choose whether or not to be happy. Our senses report our surroundings to our brain and our brain then decides how to react to it. Then it sends off the chemicals you were referring to. But it starts with a choice.

True happiness is when we can easily and almost automatically choose happiness in any situation.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
People saving for the sole purpose of when they retire is what i don't understand. 'i'll be set when i'm 50 or 60..' man who cares... you are old af at that point.

if you got some money to do shyt in your 30s and 40s you better use it..

Rarely-Wrong Liggins

Name another Liggins hot I'm just honest.
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Staff
Money can't buy happiness but it can alleviate stress and anxiety. You can be stress and anxiety free and still not be happy. I don't think a lot of people know what happiness truly is. It's definitely not something you can buy.

More money would make me content though.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
Rich people started that rumor to keep "poors" and "undesirables" from working to get ahead, separate the classes and whatnot :mjpls:.

On the other hand I can see how amassing a bunch of wealth can put you into problems if your people around you don't have their head on straight

Daps
Probably all the rich unhappy people who wind up killing themselves
While some rich people kill themselves, poor people kill themselves at a far greater rate. Money is not the ONLY factor to happiness BUT it's a HUGE factor to happiness. For example, poor people fare worst in every well-being measured category compared to wealthy people.
Poor people have shorter life spans, high obesity rate, high hypertension, high heart disease rates, higher stress levels, higher divorce rate, higher outer wedlock birth rates, higher unemployment rates, and overall less health.