Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Only broke people think this is true.

It's isn't.

I was the happiest person ever when I was a kid with no money or partying and drinking and in college.

Life is harder now and I can pretty much afford to live the lifestyle I desire. I can buy a big house and travel or I could get a cheap townhouse and save but none of that really changes my depression/anxiety/level of happiness.

Daps
Only broke people think this is true.

It's isnt.
On Average, poor people CANNOT be happier than wealthy people. Poor people are worst off in every category which measures well-being. Less Healthy, higher divorce rates, higher unemployment rates, higher family dysfunction, and shorter life spans. Again Money is NOT the ONLY key to happiness but a big factor to happiness.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
On Average, poor people CANNOT be happier than wealthy people. Poor people are worst off in every category which measures well-being. Less Healthy, higher divorce rates, higher unemployment rates, higher family dysfunction, and shorter life spans. Again Money is NOT the ONLY key to happiness but a big factor to happiness.

Source?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
While some rich people kill themselves, poor people kill themselves at a far greater rate. Money is not the ONLY factor to happiness BUT it's a HUGE factor to happiness. For example, poor people fare worst in every well-being measured category compared to wealthy people.
Poor people have shorter life spans, high obesity rate, high hypertension, high heart disease rates, higher stress levels, higher divorce rate, higher outer wedlock birth rates, higher unemployment rates, and overall less health.
I get that brother.

But it’s a very specific quote. Money does NOT buy happiness. Yes it can factor in, probably the biggest factor.... but if you’re unhappy in life about things outside money, money ain’t gonna help. You lose a child, money won’t help. Cop shoots you, money ain’t helping your family from depression. Momma dies tomorrow, you’d give away her insurance money for 10 more minutes.

But yea. Generally if 100 million was found at your door, you’d be a lot happier than yesterday

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Money = more options. Options don't give you happiness.

How you make your choices with the options you have, and being okay with the consequences of those choices, that brings you happiness.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People can acknowledging that money doesn't guarantee happiness without suggesting that it can't buy happiness at all. Money brings about freedom and stability and is an essential ingredient to happiness.

Having sex doesn't guarantee you'll have a child but it sure as hell can create one. Money can bring about happiness.

supertrekker

Superstar
Daps
People can acknowledging that money doesn't guarantee happiness without suggesting that it can't buy happiness at all. Money brings about freedom and stability and is an essential ingredient to happiness.

Having sex doesn't guarantee you'll have a child but it sure as hell can create one. Money can bring about happiness.
Or at least help you buy things that might give you some joy in life.