Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Who are you to agree or disagree on what makes someone happy?

I think that's the thing that's not being answered.... What's "happy?" I can be happy in jail but am I happy really? I can laugh with my cousins at a funeral but are we happy? I can buy a lambo but my sibling committed suicide, am I happy?
Happiness doesn't really exist, it's just a transitional state. You can prolong that transitional state by buying things or fukking or whatever you want. Does it give you existential fulfillment, I don't think so. Let's ask Musk and the like if they are happy. I'm willing to bet they aren't. However, that doesn't mean money can't buy happiness in the short term; It certainly can. But once you've bought everything you want, what is next? That is the question. I'm a nihilist, so nothing matters. There's a never ending search for true happiness, but it doesn't exist. We need to go outside of happiness. It's just an emotional state. It doesn't mean anything. But it's better to be happy than to be sad. It's better to have money, than to be broke. It's better to have material goods than not. It's just a better existence. Money is the answer in the short term, and what is life, but on the short-term. Nothing can make you happy but yourself. I'm not denying that, but when you're in your shytty apartment, sweating because you have no a/c, your kids are crying because they have no food to eat, your pockets are empty and your girl (if you're lucky enough to have one) is complaining about not fixing some appliance, money can buy happiness. It just can.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
its not a myth. I've been around people with real money. a lot of people with $ are unhappy.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Happiness doesn't really exist, it's just a transitional state. You can prolong that transitional state by buying things or fukking or whatever you want. Does it give you existential fulfillment, I don't think so. Let's ask Musk and the like if they are happy. I'm willing to bet they aren't. However, that doesn't mean money can't buy happiness in the short term; It certainly can. But once you've bought everything you want, what is next? That is the question. I'm a nihilist, so nothing matters. There's a never ending search for true happiness, but it doesn't exist. We need to go outside of happiness. It's just an emotional state. It doesn't mean anything. But it's better to be happy than to be sad. It's better to have money, than to be broke. It's better to have material goods than not. It's just a better existence. Money is the answer in the short term, and what is life, but on the short-term. Nothing can make you happy but yourself. I'm not denying that, but when you're in your shytty apartment, sweating because you have no a/c, your kids are crying because they have no food to eat, your pockets are empty and your girl (if you're lucky enough to have one) is complaining about not fixing some appliance, money can buy happiness. It just can.
What if you hate your family? Will that money help you?

I think more like you, but not all the way. I think happiness is NOT wanting anything (like Buddhists believe). If I want something, it means I don't have it, and I'm not going to be happy about THAT until I do. But if I wake up tomorrow and don't want a single thing... not more family, not more time, not another watch, not a car, not a house, nothing..... Well I'm in bliss. I literally have zero desire that isn't being met. I don't want up saying "if I only had......." cause I have no desire to have that thing or anything else.

And I believe that's impossible lol. Nobody wants nothing more in life. Life is damn near about gaining more things whether inanimate or not

Last edited:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
My understanding of the quote is that solely money (and the things you buy) won’t make you happy. Or in other words, there’s more to happiness than money.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
My understanding of the quote is that solely money (and the things you buy) won’t make you happy. Or in other words, there’s more to happiness than money.
Money is a critical ingredient to happiness. The majority of problems people have in life outside of health issues and even some of them involve a lack of money. Money might not guarantee happiness but the absence of it can almost always guarantee misery.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
it was started by rich people who didn't want the lower class have those same aspirations, so they started a lie that money can't buy you happiness, lmao

being rich can buy a lot of happiness, the best doctors, comfortable lifestyle and money left to your kids etc

those in power created the lie that good people have to be poor and suffer