Who started the myth that money can’t buy happiness?

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
I know this but i asked you a question... are you broke...:francis:

im comfortably poor

Screenshot-2021-10-11-103515.png

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If money isn’t so important, why do we have people, in all walks of life, that take risks or commit crime to get that money?

The risk of going to jail is worth it for some who didn’t have the typical avenues to make money.

People do all that for crack too, but if you think that crack will buy you happiness you're in for a rude awakening. :heh:

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Avada Kedavbreh!
Daps
Its various reasons money cant "buy" happiness. U got the law of diminished returns for starters. Being able to have whatever u like whenever u like it may seem nice at first but after a while the novelty wears off. Just like with an addict who has to do insane amounts of drugs over time just to feel "normal", ur standard of living gets pricier and pricier while the fulfillment that comes with it gets less and less.

Then there is the fact u still have regular life shyt to deal with. Getting sick, losing a loved one, marriage/relationship problems and to top it off the various problems that come with excessive wealth.

Just look at some of the richest people alive u will rarely see them genuinely smile.

True contentment can only come from within. U dont need to be rich to achieve it, and all the money in the world wont give it to u if ur misery is beyond material gains.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Your happiness is not conditional on others you may not even know suffering injustice.
YOU have no idea what HIS happiness is conditional on... Which is why a blanket statement of "money will make you happy or happier" is a lie. Nobody knows what makes the next man happy. Some people don't even know what makes THEMSELVES happy. So money ain't just gonna make it happen

People do all that for crack too, but if you think that crack will buy you happiness you're in for a rude awakening. :heh:
Tell that to a crackhead... Or one suffering through withdrawl

See why it's dumb to say what will make someone happy... You have no idea

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Depends on what level you are starting from

also, like the Maslow hierarchy of needs. There's people I know who have a lot of money, and still have same problems, relationship, lives are messy, drug/alcohol issues, family issues

BUT a lot of the BASIC needs are met. Shelter, food, security. Wheras a poor person is struggling with the basics, and the rest of it.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This was a thread from 2021 :dead:

Money can make you happy. It literally can. But, at the same time, money isn't everything. What do you do when you've bought everything you want? I had the problem recently. What do you do next? Material goods are nice, and there's always something new to buy, but it doesn't give you that existential fulfillment. There is more to life than material goods.

I'm just saying, if you don't care about that existential stuff, money can buy happiness. There are an multitude of things you can buy to make you happy for a while. Does it answer the existential questions? No. But can it make you happy, yes.

I was talking to my friend about happiness, and he's all about fukking as many people as he can (women and men). He thinks happiness comes from sex. I disagree. Others think happiness comes from material goods. That does work for a time, until you've bought everything you want. Happiness comes from something else. What that something else is, I don't know. But in the mean time, if you're lacking money, money can buy happiness. Money can certainly buy happiness. I know it can. Does it fulfill you for 80 years is the next question. I guess it doesn't if you've made all the money in the world, but who makes all the money in the world? There are always different planets to explore (i.e, Musk and Bezos and the like).

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
This was a thread from 2021 :dead:

Money can make you happy. It literally can. But, at the same time, money isn't everything. What do you do when you've bought everything you want? I had the problem recently. What do you do next? Material goods are nice, and there's always something new to buy, but it doesn't give you that existential fulfillment. There is more to life than material goods.

I'm just saying, if you don't care about that existential stuff, money can buy happiness. There are an multitude of things you can buy to make you happy for a while. Does it answer the existential questions? No. But can it make you happy, yes.

I was talking to my friend about happiness, and he's all about fukking as many people as he can (women and men). He thinks happiness comes from sex. I disagree. Others think happiness comes from material goods. That does work for a time, until you've bought everything you want. Happiness comes from something else. What that something else is, I don't know. But in the mean time, if you're lacking money, money can buy happiness. Money can certainly buy happiness. I know it can. Does it fulfill you for 80 years is the next question. I guess it doesn't if you've made all the money in the world, but who makes all the money in the world? There are always different planets to explore (i.e, Musk and Bezos and the like).
Who are you to agree or disagree on what makes someone happy?

I think that's the thing that's not being answered.... What's "happy?" I can be happy in jail but am I happy really? I can laugh with my cousins at a funeral but are we happy? I can buy a lambo but my sibling committed suicide, am I happy?

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
You're never gonna convince me you're an intelligent happy person with money issues.