When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
listen to them because they make catchy and fun music, ain't no one trynna listen to 'real shyt' 24/7 that gets draining.

I feel like I’m repeating myself constantly in here so I’m gonna stop after this.

I never asked for them to make “real” music constantly, I just think artists NEVER making songs with any depth, concept or substance is very odd.

Very clear difference. I enjoy artists who are ignorant and fun too but they can also touch upon real shyt. Balance.

You guys are more than okay with just accepting catchy & fun for every song and thats why we are where we are. Like @O.Red Said theres no reward clearly.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
There’s always been rappers like that. I used to love Das Efx and them nikkas didn’t rhyme about shyt. The only story I remember was a song about diarrhea
:heh:

Fair play

I made this thread for discussion so I appreciate responses like this even if they don’t agree with my premise.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
A lot of this is label directed, like a lot of everything, pop music and reality TV, it's based on what will

1. Get attention

2. be able to emulate/relate to for social media/tik toks (note the 30 second max on Tik Tok clips, you aren't going to have some nuanced debate about sex and gender in 30 seconds)

3. feel like it represents you, while at the same time being vague enough to represent everybody else too

which is what pop music is. and what it does. it appeals to base things like gender, sex, desire, power and authority and most importantly, probably is fantasy and escape.

I saw a group of women last night, I think there were listening to Sexxy Redd, and dancing outside their cars to the songs, it was something like "fill out my ass crack?"

for those women, it represents authority, but also traditional gender roles, power, seeing themselves as sexy and desirable. While the FANTASY part is that most of them probably don't have much power or authority in their real life. They aren't strippers. They aren't ballers. They aren't fukking crazy NFL player looking men. but for the moment, that night, the next 10 drunken hours, it is their life. that's the power of music.

Best response in here from a great poster.

Repped.

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Blaming record labels is weak. The consumer rejected the gating keeping that A&Rs did as well as artist development and bought wholesale into social media algorithms feeding them their next star. You can maybe blame tech giants for building out the applications but the consumers are the ones dictating where to allocate attention.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Blaming record labels is weak. The consumer rejected the gating keeping that A&Rs did as well as artist development and bought wholesale into social media algorithms feeding them their next star. You can maybe blame tech giants for building out the applications but the consumers are the ones dictating where to allocate attention.

Bro after reading this thread I put full blame on the consumer.

I ask why an artist can’t make one singular song of substance and I get a woman stating that she doesn’t want to listen to depressing shyt 24/7 and I’m an anti social bum for asking otherwise.

Explains everything I need to know.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Blaming record labels is not the phrasing I would use. Sure, it is giving people what they want. It's not different from The Bachelor or The Kardashians.

I can remember being like 17 and my boy and I are with two girls, high, smoking blunts, heading to the beach, back seat of his car, and we are playing The Chronic 2001

and that one song that's like "all these bytches and all these hoes" and essentially starts describing a gang bang, and I'm all high, and start overthinking everything to myself, is that what these girls think is happening? Because, I don't want to do that all that. And I look back, and they are just happy and singing along.

Last edited:

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
ha, thanks, that's really gracious

and also, male rap, or many forms of it, are selling the same thing. it's almost urban fantasy role play. Ice and Sexxy Redd are just emulating what male artists have done for years.

For sure

The whole blow up of Drill is really just that.

Their male counterparts are just Gang Members talking aimlessly about killing which is even worse than what they do. One dimensional across the board.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
I feel like the rise in popularity of Wayne had a little to do with this

Maybe but Wayne had substance, different concepts etc. Had no issue getting personal either.

If Wayne came out today, they’d call me crazy for suggesting he could make a Georgia Bush or even a Trouble.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
and that one song that's like "all these bytches and all these hoes" and essentially starts describing a gang bang, and I'm all high, and start overthinking everything to myself, is that what these girls think is happening? Because, I don't want to do that all that. And I look back, and they are just happy and singing along.

:dead: :dead: :dead::dead: