When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Bro after reading this thread I put full blame on the consumer.

I ask why an artist can’t make one singular song of substance and I get a woman stating that she doesn’t want to listen to depressing shyt 24/7 and I’m an anti social bum for asking otherwise.

Explains everything I need to know.

When the term "industry plant" exist and is tossed around freely, it should tell you just how much people hate good A&Rs and artist development. Maybe the consumer has too much insight now where as in the 00s and before there was more ignorance to "how the sausage is made."

Flav

Where the dice game at?
Daps
The funny thing is a lot of people complain about “What happened to rap” while at the same time waiting for corporate record labels to feed you the rap that you are looking for.

Get on YouTube, Spotify, Tital etc and find the kind of rap you want to listen to instead of waiting to be spoof fed.

There are some rappers that is making the kind of music you want but they are not viral or TikTok famous.

Yes it was a good time when Jive, Universal, Interscope, fed us with good music, but that time is over now. Get out and find it yourself.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Y'all really listening to these rappers whole albums looking for deep songs?

Most the time I just come across the single/ video.

Did Cardiologist B have a introspective song on her album? I have no idea cuz I definitely didn't listen to it.
You don't really care about music

And unfortunately a lot of ppl feel this way

"Do you fools listen to music or just skim through it?"

Last edited:

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
Maybe but Wayne had substance, different concepts etc. Had no issue getting personal either.

If Wayne came out today, they’d call me crazy for suggesting he could make a Georgia Bush or even a Trouble.

It was before Wayne tbh.

I disagree. Wayne is the example for what artist development can be and also he was fairly diverse as a rapper.

IMO Wayne became most famous when his songs for the most part started lacking substance and stories. People were going around quoting his punchlines but he barely had songs post TC3 that really had any substance or stories. I'm not saying he's the only reason or the genesis, but I do think there is a slight correlation to his music and what OP said.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
The funny thing is a lot of people complain about “What happened to rap” while at the same time waiting for corporate record labels to feed you the rap that you are looking for.

Alright and lets say I just wanted to discuss the popular rappers at the moment

Or why Label are using certain techniques.

Don’t worry, I have my artists I listen to but it’s okay to question things too.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
IMO Wayne became most famous when his songs for the most part started lacking substance and stories. People were going around quoting his punchlines but he barely had songs post TC3 that really had any substance or stories. I'm not saying he's the only reason or the genesis, but I do think there is a slight correlation to his music and what OP said.
This isn't true either

C5 had quite a few songs with substance and storytelling

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas

I can respect that. I do agree that he was mainly coasting post C3.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I remember he had a great song about becoming a father when he was young

Can't remember the name of it and only heard it once

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What was Sir Mix-a-Lot's substance? What was his story? What was Father MC's story? Tone Loc's? Candyman's?