When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
When Big died and NY started to prop up Puffy while criticizing anyone to called him wack as a "hater", that opened the door for a lot of wack mfers to come in an make music. Then the south explosion happened. For the record, I'm from the south and a lot of artists that came out during the NO limit and Cash Money phase could rap, but for every one that could rap in the south, you had 2 or 3 that were garbage as fuk along for the ride and affiliation. NY and Cali had wack artists too, but it's just something about the south propping up these garbage azz artists that set the standard for what we have today. And it all started with a talentless mf that NY propped up in puff daddy. Hammer(not a lyricist as well) was basically ran out of hip hop and when NY got their own version of Hammer(thought people were writing for Puff), they praised him.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
I bet you love Griselda though :heh:

Complaining about “substance” has always been code for I don’t like who’s popular.

I like Benny, can't speak for the others.

Like I said, I don't mind talking about Drugs Sex etc but tell me some stories and some of the downsides. Benny does that on top of actually being good at rapping.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
every era of rap had its share of zero substance

where people anal about it ..maybe but not like it is now when muhfukkas make threads cryin about it..

if it aint ya cup of tea..dont drink..sip ya brand

I'm talking about artists being projects in and not dropping ONE song of substance...

Not done storytelling ONCE. Song concepts virtually none existent.

Even most of the old "Ignorant" artists did this.

Marlo Barksdale

Really out chea
Daps
Reppin
Tha M
The shift happened when people gave the rapper Rick Ross a pass after he was exposed as a CO.

Ross even finally admitted it was true and people let it fly.

That coincidenced with IG and social media allowing everyone to fake it online.

Same way there are plenty of people on this site making comments who have never really been "outside."

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
The shift happened when people gave the rapper Rick Ross a pass after he was exposed as a CO.

Ross even finally admitted it was true and people let it fly.

That coincidenced with IG and social media allowing everyone to fake it online.

Same way there are plenty of people on this site making comments who have never really been "outside."

Might be a fair point

I don't want people to think im on some every female rapper has to be Lauryn Hill type vibe. Talk about sex if you want but shyt be an artist about it atleast:dead:

Corndog

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hip hop no longer works as pop music, most people are not interested. The rappers that really blow these days are simply making pop music, that just happens to have raps
What you are looking for is a niche scene now

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I bet you love Griselda though :heh:

Complaining about “substance” has always been code for I don’t like who’s popular.

Came in here to say it. Those dudes release the same album every year (multiple times) over the same beats with the same lyrics and nobody says anything. I'll give Conway credit for having some personal records, but you'd never know if you didn't listen to his full albums. And I guarantee you everyone shytting on these women rappers haven't listened to one of their full albums.
:manny:

I like Ice Spice since she got the wave but the rest...nah. I'm just saying it's hilarious it took hoe rap for dues to be concerned about lyrical content...while they listen to dusty nikkas rap about fentanyl. Come on fam.

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
Thanks for actually taking time to answer with something. I think it's a very fair answer.

What a run that was though (You ain't hear it from me):lolbron:
My guy never be apologetic for liking good music. There’s nothing embarrassing about loving Jeezy, Gucci, Migos or any number of other great artists the poetry above all brigade love to shyt on.
I dance to pop songs with my 7 year old daughter that have great songwriting, sound great and are far more enjoyable than some weirdly looped sound with no drum and a guy threatening me 6000 different ways.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
And I guarantee you everyone shytting on these women rappers haven't listened to one of their full albums.

Let's not turn this into you getting your Third Wave Feminism off doggie. This isn't even limited to Hoe Rap or the women.

So now we've got the Ice Spice & Sexxy Redd expert, if you can feel free to let me know I will gladly be corrected. Cause so far in her run I'm yet to hear one song from her that is remotely creative. She started off as joke lets not forget.:hubie:

Griselda was a shyt example because they have met the criteria I've mentioned yet you dapped that up. Even though I only posted females, most of the new Male rappers are no better but to be brutally honest most of them aren't anywhere as popular. Hoe Rap and Drug Rap can still have substance or creativity and storytelling.

I just wanna know why these new rappers have songs of zero introspection zero substance, zero concepts or storytelling. Simple question.