When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Exactly. I’m not even a big fan but YoungBoy is great at introspective songs. Talks about the good and bad in his life, his relationships with other etc.

Songs like Lonely Child etc. Has a great gift of conveying his emotions.

He is...

I can believe the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

Rappers need to get back to talking about both sides. We also need some more social commentary.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
rap is more visual and interpersonal than ever before, these artists are doing numbers because their image is selling more than anything

Fair play I know most of the booth is flabby nikkas

Ice Spice & Sexyy Redd both had people supporting them from a trolling angle at first, we gotta be real.

But I even gave them props for having personality and being entertaining. Their male peers often don’t even have that.

So I’m not bugging then… it’s image and nothing else. Thats alarming if you ask me.

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
Fair play I know most of the booth is flabby nikkas

Ice Spice & Sexyy Redd both had people supporting them from a trolling angle at first, we gotta be real.

But I even gave them props for having personality and being entertaining. Their male peers often don’t even have that.

So I’m not bugging then… it’s image and nothing else. Thats alarming if you ask me.
its tough but its not a death sentence for rap

its mad artists that are working for the love of the music they just dont get the payola unless theyre established already

allat top 40 shyt isnt too different from pop music

if youre tapped in you know where the sound really is

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pretentious ass question. Nikkas love forgetting that this shyt started as party music

What does "getting away with it" even mean? False authority. Who has the power to let anyone get away with anything?

Fans choose what they like and you purist nikkas hate it. It's in all of these threads where nikkas blame everyone except the people that like and consume the music

You want substance go listen to your old shyt. Or find the new nikkas that have it. They do exist

You want knowledge pick up a book

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
It's in all of these threads where nikkas blame everyone except the people that like and consume the music

Thats who am I blaming hence the “getting away with it”. Rest is fair though, did start as party music.

And I’m not a purist, I like all kinds of rap but I’m aware that in the past even the “Ignorant” rappers had more dimensions to them. Not sure why this question has people so aggy.

If asking for a little bit of substance from an artist across their career is a tall order then nevermind :sas2:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thats who am I blaming hence the “getting away with it”.

Rest is fair though, did start as party music.

If asking for a little bit of substance from an artist across their career is a tall order then nevermind :sas2:
Seek and you shall find

How much substance you want from Ice Spice???

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Seek and you shall find

How much substance you want from Ice Spice???

I think someone like her could have substance bro, shes a human being lol. She goes through shyt and emotions like anyone else.

I aint expecting her to drop the Miseducation Of Ice Spice my man :dead:

I wanna know why it’s so ridiculous to ask these things from popular artists or to ask why people are okay with them never providing it.

Why do I have to seek? Why are prominent artists so one dimensional in 2023. Real questions?

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think someone like her could have substance bro, shes a human being lol. She goes through shyt and emotions like anyone else.

I aint expecting her to drop the Miseducation Of Ice Spice my man :dead:

I wanna know why it’s so ridiculous to ask these things from popular artists or to ask why people are okay with them never providing it.

Why do I have to seek? Why are prominent artists so one dimensional in 2023. Real questions?
Because your approach is ridiculous:manny: You're asking fish to ride bikes and wondering what the problem is

Ice Spice likes shaking her ass and rapping about whatever she raps about. She got famous for it. Why would she do anything else?

People operate on rewards. If Ice Spice could get the same reception for "substance" she'd do it. Nobody wants to hear that shyt, even the ones asking for it:manny: meanwhile there are plenty of those artists that no one gives a fukk about

And you have to seek because you have to seek:manny: no one's gonna curate your taste for you in 2023 unless you let them

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
A lot of this is label directed, like a lot of everything, pop music and reality TV, it's based on what will

1. Get attention

2. be able to emulate/relate to for social media/tik toks (note the 30 second max on Tik Tok clips, you aren't going to have some nuanced debate about sex and gender in 30 seconds)

-that's why so many of the bars feel like one liners for IG or Tik Tok, "don't even wanna kiss him, wont neva eva miss him, bottles with my sisters"

3. feel like it represents you, while at the same time being vague enough to represent everybody else too

which is what pop music is. and what it does. it appeals to base things like gender, sex, desire, power and authority and most importantly, probably is fantasy and escape.

I saw a group of women last night, I think there were listening to Sexxy Redd, and dancing outside their cars to the songs, it was something like "fill out my ass crack?"

for those women, it represents authority, but also traditional gender roles, power, seeing themselves as sexy and desirable. While the FANTASY part is that most of them probably don't have much power or authority in their real life. They aren't strippers. They aren't ballers. They aren't fukking crazy NFL player looking men. but for the moment, that night, the next 10 drunken hours, it is their life. that's the power of music.

Last edited:

Ɀoᥱɣ

All Star
Daps
every era of rap had its share of zero substance

where people anal about it ..maybe but not like it is now when muhfukkas make threads cryin about it..

if it aint ya cup of tea..dont drink..sip ya brand
Right, Ice Spice and Sexxy Redd make entertaining and fun music, I listen to them because they make catchy and fun music, ain't no one trynna listen to 'real shyt' 24/7 that gets draining. I can understand if you have no friends or social life though or are old AF.:manny:

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Because your approach is ridiculous:manny: You're asking fish to ride bikes and wondering what the problem is

Ice Spice likes shaking her ass and rapping about whatever she raps about. She got famous for it. Why would she do anything else?

People operate on rewards. If Ice Spice could get the same reception for "substance" she'd do it. Nobody wants to hear that shyt, even the ones asking for it :dead: meanwhile there are plenty of those artists that no one gives a fukk about

And you have to seek because you have to seek:manny: no one's gonna do this for you in 2023

It’s ridiculous yet not that long ago..

Rappers who are considered ignorant were capable of doing so :dead:

Anyways gonna have to just agree to disagree cause I don’t see whats so crazy about that. I think people just accept the bare minimums.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s ridiculous yet not that long ago..

Rappers who are considered ignorant were capable of doing so :dead:

Anyways gonna have to just agree to disagree cause I don’t see whats so crazy about that. I think people just accept the bare minimums.
Times change

Again if artist felt like they'd get rewarded for doing it they would. You're ignoring the most important factor because you don't want to accept it:manny:

papa pimp

All Star
Daps
Right, Ice Spice and Sexxy Redd make entertaining and fun music, I listen to them because they make catchy and fun music, ain't no one trynna listen to 'real shyt' 24/7 that gets draining. I can understand if you have no friends or social life though or are old AF.:manny:

See this is why I said its the consumer.

How much " real" music is even in the mainstream? People kept saying this until all we had was street rap and meme rap. Those should have spaces but the consumer has convinced themselves other forms of rap are "draining" and so you get a very one note genre.