When Did Rappers With Zero Substance & Stories Start Getting Away With It?

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I’m laughing cuz I’m taking a shyt right now too :mjlol:

that being said…these convos always end the same…and a keyword always ends up being “balance”

Last edited:

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
How could I not pay mind to the rappers blowing up the fastest? Why are the most popular new rappers starting off as jokes and then becoming some of the fastest growing rappers? Why are essentially Meme rappers prominent in the genre this year

Top 40 Music can be serious or have a decent message too. :skip:
the music just isnt for you b

these rappers arent starting off as jokes for the demographics that are jacking them

the late teens and early-mid twenties jawns were fw icespice since munch came out, same w the pound town joint

these artists are doing exactly what you would expect them to do based on who supports them

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
these rappers arent starting off as jokes for the demographics that are jacking them

Lets not do this

Sexxyredd (who isnt even a bad rapper imo) definitely started her run as a joke with the whole Booty Hole Brown shyt.

Ice Spice was seen as trash yet people stuck with her :dead:

You guys are forgetting that this demographic are my peers, I’m watching this shyt happen in real time.

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
When folks started taking the Easy route in making music...

U had to earn your dues before u got on.

In the 90s, getting signed was rough so that struggle made folks humble.

Honestly, it's nothing really mysterious about rappers now since they are social media. In the 90s, the rhymes made your favorite look like comic book characters. A lot of these goons dont deserve to be on camera anyways. King Von would have been in the background applying pressure like Sherm the Worm, not on a mic.

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
In honour of Hip-Hop turning 50...

I ask this. When did start becoming acceptable to offer zero insight, introspection or storytelling?

Looking at some of the most popular upcoming rappers, a lot of Gang Members and Sex Workers.

A lot of rappers are starting off as "jokes" then parlaying into serious runs:

Next Up:

Now the Superstar Tier of Rappers from the previous gen E.G Kendrick, J Cole, Drake have all displayed versatility and introspection in their own ways but the newest rappers? Severely lacking in that department :sas2:

Go listen to G Mo Skee. And Hexxx. and Ouija Macc.

There's a lot of good newer artists out

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
I’m laughing cuz I’m taking a shyt right now too :mjlol:

that being said…these convos always end the same…and a key phrase always ends up being “balance”

Real relatable raps right there :dead:

Bro literally all I’m asking for is balance. Idc if you talk about Drugs or selling p*ssy but shyt atleast add bit of introspection and creativity to it.

Atleast the female rappers are funny and entertaining, a lot of the new male ones can’t even do that.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
I bet you love Griselda though :heh:

Complaining about “substance” has always been code for I don’t like who’s popular.
Griselda is very artistic yeah they rap about the same run of the mill street shyt but they have stories and a very unique artistic backdrop

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
NBA YoungBoy is a underrated rapper as far as introspective tracks goes..

Everyone else to me come across as posers.

U cats that are ashamed about their pasts(EST Gee with the Football shyt), u got cats who are downright living a facade(Soulja Boy trying to be Gucci Mane Jr.

We need a another DMX or 2Pac in Rap right now...someone was for the people and never was a Hollywood snob.

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
Lets not do this

Sexxyredd (who isnt even a bad rapper imo) definitely started her run as a joke with the whole Booty Hole Brown shyt.

Ice Spice was seen as trash yet people stuck with her :dead:

You guys are forgetting that this demographic are my peers, I’m watching this shyt happen in real time.
youre not the only one on here that’s younger my boy, im not some oldhead neither and i know what im saying is true because i seen it a lot

youre trying to equate the artists success to the quality of their music which is why it isnt connecting for you

rap is more visual and interpersonal than ever before, these artists are doing numbers because their image is selling more than anything

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
The shift happened when people gave the rapper Rick Ross a pass after he was exposed as a CO.

Ross even finally admitted it was true and people let it fly.

That coincidenced with IG and social media allowing everyone to fake it online.

Same way there are plenty of people on this site making comments who have never really been "outside."

Definitely that...

Ross wanted to be hard. Maino, Styles P, and Beans(who each have a immaculate rep in the Hip Hop streets) all said he didnt have to lie.

I really think that Jay and Diddy put money behind Ross to spite 50.

Ross lost points for lying..I dont know who's worse

Him or Plies.

I would say this though. Plies had a lot introspective songs through his catalog.

He has Ross beat in that category

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
NBA YoungBoy is a underrated rapper as far as introspective tracks goes..

Exactly. I’m not even a big fan but YoungBoy is great at introspective songs. Talks about the good and bad in his life, his relationships with other etc.

Songs like Lonely Child etc. Has a great gift of conveying his emotions.

Iceson Beckford

Rich In Spirit.
Daps
Reppin
Dunya
Griselda is very artistic yeah they rap about the same run of the mill street shyt but they have stories and a very unique artistic backdrop

These dikkheads just wanna wave their capes and be contrarian.

Like I didn’t already say idc about drugs etc, just make it artistic and personal at times.

What do you think though, am I being old man yelling at cloud or nah?