What did New York City used to be like?

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
according to fam during the 70s, if a female was to walk in central park at night, she was gonna get fukked... for money or otherwise:to: being raped/robbed was expected

and the graffiti game on ny trains:wow:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain

I heard stories about you could not not take the train outside of the crowded hours because it was too dangerous, people used to take cabs after a certain hour. Even manhattan was dangerous, the bronx and bk were the worse, the crack was everywhere, you had zombies who were in live at certain place to get drugs. Places were you could not saw the floor because it was full of crack bottles.

new york was dirty and grimey and cheap, appartements in manhattan were cheap in places that right now would cost thousand in rent

Last edited by a moderator:

3rdLetter

Pushin afros back to '76
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Qnz, NYC
:gladbron: :myman: :salute: :ohlawd: :shaq: :pachaha:

My favorite memory from the 90s :ahh:

Around 2000 when those newer trains came.... :gladbron: was crazy to see "sliver" trains on the 2 & 5 lines.

They got one of the old redbirds next to the courthouse on Queens blvd. Brings back memories whenever I see it.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
New York Subway 1986 NYC -directors cut- with stereo audio track.mpg - YouTube

The Streets of New York City - Oct. 1987 - Pt.2 - YouTube

I heard stories about you could not not take the train outside of the crowded hours because it was too dangerous, people used to take cabs after a certain hour. Even manhattan was dangerous, the bronx and bk were the worse, the crack was everywhere, you had zombies who were in live at certain place to get drugs. Places were you could not saw the floor because it was full of crack bottles.

new york was dirty and grimey and cheap, appartements in manhattan were cheap in places that right now would cost thousand in rent

:krs:

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
They got one of the old redbirds next to the courthouse on Queens blvd. Brings back memories whenever I see it.

Yea, I seen that before, kinda funny to see a subway car randomly sitting on a grass field :pachaha:

They still use them on the :trash: trains, there's a few of them in the yard near the E180th Street station in the BX, during rush hour when the yard is empty you can see them clearly, they look :flabbynsick: though, but still cool to see them, reminds me of the good ol days. :ahh:

john goodman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Everyone says white people took over ny...

I dunno about that, I was on 116th the other day and was the only white guy as far as the eye could see

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Everyone says white people took over ny...

I dunno about that, I was on 116th the other day and was the only white guy as far as the eye could see

:ld:

If you go on the Western end of 116th you should see some white people :ld:

I even go as far as to say you'd a hard pressed to see a black person on the western end of 116th

But the eastern end of 116th is the hood though

There are batches of Uptown where whites are no where to be found, especially north of 125th and below Washington Heights

john goodman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
I walked from the subway at 116 and Lexington to 116 and 1st.... No white people anywhere. Spanish Harlem is still pretty Spanish.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
There used to be no white people past 116th back in da day. now they live all up in harlem
Morningside,hamilton and washington heights.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
new york seem so dopppppppppe :noah: i wanted to live there BAD as a kid and do all the stereotypes. walkin down the street to chill with everybody on the steps of a brown stone, girls jump ropin or playin hop scotch, somebody opened the fire hydrant :whew:, nikkas battlin on the corner for no reason whatsoever, that fat puerto rican bytch thats always hangin out her window yellin to the streets... talkin that weird ass slang like

"ayo son, i'm mad hungry, foreal b. word is bond yo, lets get a couple slices from the bodega. and not that bummy ass one on the corner, the one on 145th and lenox where the dominicans be with the blickies out :youngsabo:"

i had an entire vision :wow:

how is that weird slang.

no wonder you dudes, talk all that bullshyt about me.
y'all sqaure as hell.
you dudes some sheltered lil motherfukkers!

i knew that, but now it is crystal clear.

art barr

hanh,....y'all some squares, b!!

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
19849_1198366846332_1443346318_1037481_3961171_n.jpg

Fulton's Beat Street was the place to cop albums and mixtapes. Some of the biggest artist (Big and Aaliyah had instore signings there)

Empire Skating Rink. Every Saturday, we'd b e :dj2::stylin:

:to: at my childhood

I remember seeing all the crack vials on the playgrounds....20 cats on the corner playing ceelo....zero bloods or crips....dudes smokin weed in the theaters when downtown brooklyn had 2 movie theaters...albee square mall...west indian day parade used to actually be fun....empire skate ring used to pop....overall, good times breh....i was born and raised in bk so thats my perspective:stylin:

beat street and empire :to:

I miss the old nyc but at the same time i dont. I think its because i dont mind it being better but i dont like how it became better.

Its these fukking hipsters from bubblefukkville wisconsin making everything trendy and takin away the real soul from nyc. All these weird restaurants, festivals etc its just weird certain places now. Its still the city but at the same time its not. NYC people know what im saying if this doesnt make sense to some lol.

Getting off at franklin and seeing a bunch of cacs im like :merchant:

Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, East Flatbush. :to:

I missed out on a lot of the grimier days (born in 87), but I remember a lot. For some reason, as bad as things seemed, it was a simpler time. It really is hard to describe. I love my city, brehs. I really do. :to:
Empire skating rink, Beat st, Fulton Mall, That movie theater on Church that was always getting shot up. The one on Flatbush that was always getting shot up. The Mango Man on Flatbush selling mangoes. Dirty ass 2&3 trains.
I'll never forsake my city. :to:

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Growing up in BK was so DOPE. The best experience that you can ask for. I saw it all, pre-crack to post-crack eras. Been riding the buses since Add-a-Rides (white tickets) and Transfers (blue or orange tickets), been chased by every breed of stray dogs, played in 3 story abandoned buildings with missing floors, one misstep an that's all she wrote! In the summer I went to free breakfast and free lunch everyday at 3 different schools, not because I was hungry, it was just because that what we did. I played football, coco Alevio, box ball, chinese hand ball, flies up, skelly, whiffle ball, tag, etc. on a SIDEWALK until I was old enough to play in the street and abandoned lots, I rocked Mark 5 sneakers, Puma, Pony, Pro-Cons, nu-Cons, Pro Players, Pro Keds, Buster Brown (free lollipop when you buy a pair), 69ers, and Jox as PLAY sneakers (we had 1 pair for playing outside and 1 pair for school), we had block parties where people battled in rapping, breaking, popping, and DJing, when we didn't have money we rode on the back of the bus (outside hanging on the vents) for blocks at a time. As I got older I used to hang out
downtown BK by the Albee Square Mall where I seen the likes of the REAL 50
Cent (yes we was shook of him), Kane, Biz, Mark Breland, and every kind of
hard rock that you can imagine, older dudes used to scheme on me and my
homeboy's rope chains (yeah we tucked them in, we was teens and them
niqqas was older and WAY realer than us, so we played our lane until I
started carrying my moms .22) I've seen stabbings and shootings galore, more dead bodies than I can count, more robberies and jumpings than most have
seen, I remember BK when Reid ave. wasnt Malcolm X Blvd, Sumner ave.
wasn't Marcus Garvey, I remember when there was no Z train, I remember when Jaz-O sold incense on Bushwick and Kossuth Ave. Don't let me start on
ENY, the 'Ville, C.I., Flatbush, Red Hook, Fort Green, etc. As a teen, living arrangements, weed, liquor, beer, hip-hop, boxing, basketball, football and boredom allowed me to literally venture
throughout the whole BK. I have stories because I am Brooklyn....so Brooklyn.