What did New York City used to be like?

beezy

Old Member
Daps
Reppin
guala guala island
Its changing rapidly in Washington Heights tho. From 168th street all the way up to Dyckman (Mostly Broadway and Fort Washington) the majority of new residents coming in are white due to the rent prices skyrocketing the past 10 years or so.

Before I left NYC, I can't remember college kids renting out a place on my old block. Now its commonplace. Its almost like I don't know where my old neighborhood went :to:

This shyts heartbreaking breh :wow: i love wash heights. i grew up in jersey but i remember the days i spent with my fam up there.. i call it the mecca for us dominicans.. sad to hear its losin its character..

on a sidenote, my aunt still livin in a nice 4 bedroom apt up there and payin rent from the 60's when my grandpa first lived there:pachaha:

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ALot of people used to get stabbed there.

I remeber back when Park Place Shuttle train station smelled like piss and was on the opposite side of the street. Now it's so pristine.

When rollerblading was huge in the mid 90s, I used to be like the only girl doing tricks off the Prospect Park soundstage with all the dudes. This is where I met Harold Hunter at. He and the Zoo York team would come and skate there.

Old footage of 90s New York

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgsTU_QZ1_c&feature=related"]Harold Hunter - Zoo York: Mixtape 1 [1997] - YouTube[/ame]

Legends never die :to:

Classy X

Krispy Kreme Head
Daps
Hey, I found this video at City-Data:

I've never stepped foot in NYC but, good God, I would've LOVED to been there pre-2000s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Classy X

Krispy Kreme Head
Daps
There are more videos talking about the old days of NYC on the right sidebar at the link page of the video:

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
ALot of people used to get stabbed there.

I remeber back when Park Place Shuttle train station smelled like piss and was on the opposite side of the street. Now it's so pristine.

When rollerblading was huge in the mid 90s, I used to be like the only girl doing tricks off the Prospect Park soundstage with all the dudes. This is where I met Harold Hunter at. He and the Zoo York team would come and skate there.

damn, that brings back memories...I had an aunt who lived near there on park place, she's the first and only latino-muslim I knew. I used to have to stay with her some days during the summer when my parents were at work when I was a kid. I couldn't watch TV at her house, just had to read and go to the mosque with her.

I used to be heavy into rollerblading also but mostly went to chelsea piers for it. My mom was on some :pacspit: the hood for certain activities, though we lived in it (Crown Heights)

Prospect park is kinda funny know, there's a black side and a white side...Black side= flatbush, white side= Park Slope.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm from Crown Heights.

Sterling between Franklyn & Classon.

:sadbron: at it now.

Rollerblading and riding bikes with no breaks around Brooklyn in the mid 90s was :ahh:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
I'm from Crown Heights.

Sterling between Franklyn & Classon.

:sadbron: at it now.

Rollerblading and riding bikes with no breaks around Brooklyn in the mid 90s was :ahh:

:krs:

Right down the block from where I stay.

:snoop: @ all these hipsters now though. I was out the other Saturday and I hardly felt safe out there. Thought I was gonna get ran up on, beat by police and have crack sprinkled on me (Shoutouts to Dave Chappelle). My biggest problem with them is the lack of respect for the people and the history there. They came in, drove up prices, forced out local businesses, opened up a bunch of frou frou spots. Conversely though, it is a lot safer and cleaner. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of our people though. I shudder at what this place will look like in 10-20 years.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I saw a recent video of Sean Price from BCC performing in BROWNSVILLE of all places and half the crowd were white hipsters! You know times have changed.

I haven't been back to NYC in years but my one of my earliest grimey memories was being harassed by Deceptz when I used to visit my other relatives in Brooklyn. From what everybody says NYC has lost its touch bigtime.

This is how I like to remember the old NYC:

As for gentrification and all that, the same thing they did to Harlem was and still is being done to Brixton (which is pretty much the London version of Harlem). :no: