What did New York City used to be like?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Where I live shyt was ghost town status. Nobody came around my area. Always felt like something bad would happen. Now that the River Plaza mall came into fruition shyt is packed everyday. :ohmy:

The neighborhood now looks great :ahh:

It looks great and it's a lil safer because of the gym and these other stores open 24/7. It's more convenient. It's only safer if you know the area. You can easily get fukked up if you go near them Marble Hill projects.

I remember when it was just the abandoned warehouse and the Kennedy's on the corner by the train when I first moved there. Now it has a Target a Planet Fitness and an Applebees. shyt is still kinda grimey though. That Chase bank got stuck up earlier this year.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
I tell you, sir...it was a big city of dreams. However, everything there was not always what it seemed. There was a possibility you might've gotten fooled if you come from out of town, but if you were down by law, you were probably gonna be fine.

Uh-huh-HUH HUH HUH.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous

this is shyt i remember and seeing and being all :dwillhuh:

i didnt grow up in NY but spent a lot of my summers in the bronx and queens because mad family there (jamaican) so i just remember it being grimey as shyt, and dirty as fukk, but fun as shyt cuz my older cousins were G's and wild. i went up there last year, and saw a cleaner, hipster infested city.

i remember when LL droped the Loungin video, and he was posted up at the market in jamaica, and riding down farmers and linden.

Last edited by a moderator:

Esau = Evil

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere NOT snitching.
I remember going to Yankees games and sneaking into the parking lot to get autographs, Winfield, Rags (do your research), Rickey Henderson, punk ass Wille Randolph, Bobby Meachem:win:, Don Baylor. Remember Mickey Rivers rocking a fur (in the summer) with 2 hoes in front of the stadium talking to my uncle Mike and us. I was there July 4th for Rags no-hitter, I remember Mark Jackson coming to Soul in the Hole, Isiah Zeke Thomas rookie game at the Garden, going way up in the BX to Dave Winfield's Foundation to see all of the Yankees stars UP CLOSE, boxing at Bed Stuy under the eye of George Washington, playing vs. Manny Ramirez (Washington) at baseball camp in Pennsylvania, snuck in Mets games and got autographs from Frank Viola and John Franco (went to my HS in BK). Remember seeing Spike Lee at Knicks games before he got rich, got schooled on court by Norman, Stephon Marbury's older brother, I'm friends with Lance Stevenson Sr.

Brehs, I got stories about NYC, too many to type out.

And no I'm not old, I'm just:win:

LOL, I feel the same way.

I can tell you're way more than genuine. Im from the generation right after yours. Im not old at all, but I got to go outside. Like I said earlier, I can write so many stories, But the game is to be sold, not told...

:youngsabo:

I'll drop some more pics though, these are from my block or blocks I frequented, more up to date than what I posted earlier.

Typical "corner store" (thats what we call it, nobody says "bodega" )

kaps9t.png

Ski Hat, This isn't around anymore...

dxzg2u.png

4q1po6.png

Anyone recognize this kid?
350s4cz.png

Jesus Christ
2qnxl08.png

The block I grew up on
ehc10i.png

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:ld:

If you go on the Western end of 116th you should see some white people :ld:

I even go as far as to say you'd a hard pressed to see a black person on the western end of 116th

But the eastern end of 116th is the hood though

There are batches of Uptown where whites are no where to be found, especially north of 125th and below Washington Heights
Its changing rapidly in Washington Heights tho. From 168th street all the way up to Dyckman (Mostly Broadway and Fort Washington) the majority of new residents coming in are white due to the rent prices skyrocketing the past 10 years or so.

Before I left NYC, I can't remember college kids renting out a place on my old block. Now its commonplace. Its almost like I don't know where my old neighborhood went :to:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Growing up in BK was so DOPE. The best experience that you can ask for. I saw it all, pre-crack to post-crack eras. Been riding the buses since Add-a-Rides (white tickets) and Transfers (blue or orange tickets), been chased by every breed of stray dogs, played in 3 story abandoned buildings with missing floors, one misstep an that's all she wrote! In the summer I went to free breakfast and free lunch everyday at 3 different schools, not because I was hungry, it was just because that what we did. I played football, coco Alevio, box ball, chinese hand ball, flies up, skelly, whiffle ball, tag, etc. on a SIDEWALK until I was old enough to play in the street and abandoned lots, I rocked Mark 5 sneakers, Puma, Pony, Pro-Cons, nu-Cons, Pro Players, Pro Keds, Buster Brown (free lollipop when you buy a pair), 69ers, and Jox as PLAY sneakers (we had 1 pair for playing outside and 1 pair for school), we had block parties where people battled in rapping, breaking, popping, and DJing, when we didn't have money we rode on the back of the bus (outside hanging on the vents) for blocks at a time. As I got older I used to hang out
downtown BK by the Albee Square Mall where I seen the likes of the REAL 50
Cent (yes we was shook of him), Kane, Biz, Mark Breland, and every kind of
hard rock that you can imagine, older dudes used to scheme on me and my
homeboy's rope chains (yeah we tucked them in, we was teens and them
niqqas was older and WAY realer than us, so we played our lane until I
started carrying my moms .22) I've seen stabbings and shootings galore, more dead bodies than I can count, more robberies and jumpings than most have
seen, I remember BK when Reid ave. wasnt Malcolm X Blvd, Sumner ave.
wasn't Marcus Garvey, I remember when there was no Z train, I remember when Jaz-O sold incense on Bushwick and Kossuth Ave. Don't let me start on
ENY, the 'Ville, C.I., Flatbush, Red Hook, Fort Green, etc. As a teen, living arrangements, weed, liquor, beer, hip-hop, boxing, basketball, football and boredom allowed me to literally venture
throughout the whole BK. I have stories because I am Brooklyn....so Brooklyn.
:wow: I remember the tickets we used to get from the buses when I was young.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
i lived in the Bronx from '76-'91, near the Castle Hill projects. shyt crazy...crack viles EVERYWHERE. i had family in the South Bronx and that shyt was a hell hole. abandoned and burned out buildings everywhere.

i had an aunt who lived in an abandoned building for years rent free. every apartment in the building was occupied. people just moved into that shyt.

Man Alive: The Bronx Is Burning (Part 1 of 4) FDNY 1972 - YouTube

Man Alive: The Bronx Is Burning (Part 2 of 4) FDNY 1972 - YouTube

Man Alive: The Bronx Is Burning (Part 3 of 4) FDNY 1972 - YouTube

Man Alive: The Bronx Is Burning (Part 4 of 4) FDNY 1972 - YouTube
:ehh:props, watching this in a few minutes

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
how is that weird slang.

no wonder you dudes, talk all that bullshyt about me.
y'all sqaure as hell.
you dudes some sheltered lil motherfukkers!

i knew that, but now it is crystal clear.

art barr

hanh,....y'all some squares, b!!

breh i'm from tx. it aint shyt like how they talk up there :shaq2: and nikkas aint talkin bullshyt when they mention you, its literally hard to follow your train of thought most of the time :what: :damn:

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
The city clean now. Only problem is there are too many hipsters and yuppies. Around 2000 was a dope time cuz the city got cleaned up from the horrible crack era. But Blacks was still in the hood. Thats when alot of the "NY Swag" shyt was in full force.

Dipset, Ghostface , Jadakiss, Fif n G-unit, Jay and the Roc etc.

shyt was all good until gentrification hit :to: