Wasteful Exercises in The Gym

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's no magical number

Heavy RELATIVE TO YOUR ONE REP MAX = "heavy"

There isn't some magical weight that you'll hit that will make you massive, but individual to your strength if you hit like 60-70 percent of your max that's enough workload to stimulate growth. Don't quote me on that though, but I'm sure the resident fact-checkers can confirm that.
i was thinking more of like multiples of your own bodyweight (like 1Xbodyweight or 1.5X or 2X), not a specific number of pounds. but i understand what you guys are saying though. more relative to current strength.

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i was thinking more of like multiples of your own bodyweight (like 1Xbodyweight or 1.5X or 2X), not a specific number of pounds. but i understand what you guys are saying though. more relative to current strength.

Like others have said, it's not a perfect science. You don't always have to go that heavy to stimulate growth

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Breh get that infomercial bs outta here.
I am rather new to this stuff, so excuse me if I am ignorant.. so are you saying 1800 calories worth of what ever (pork, beef jerky, fried chicken) is eguivilant to 1800 calories worth of bird food, when trying to lose weight?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
I am rather new to this stuff, so excuse me if I am ignorant.. so are you saying 1800 calories worth of what ever (pork, beef jerky, fried chicken) is eguivilant to 1800 calories worth of bird food, when trying to lose weight?
Relative to simple weight loss yes. For optimal/desired body composition it's a different story.

XxBboyxX

Banned
Daps
Yes. And also what @The ADD said.

It's better over all to eat clean for your health though, not just to lose weight or put on muscle or whatever body type your aiming for.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps

It's better over all to eat clean for your health though, not just to lose weight or put on muscle or whatever body type your aiming for.
ok yea that was an extreme example.. Somebody told me that along time ago but I didn't quite understand until just now:ohhh:

jerniebert

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, Ca

Yes eating healthy works. For years I was of that same mentality of eat whatever you want as long as your work out. I always had a fast metabolism and stayed skinny but then all that stopped and I was on my way to being a diabetic because of that mentality. It may be cool for the moment but putting bad things in will catch up to you. I am now eating a healthy diet and feel the best I've ever felt in my life. The gains I've made are incredible.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Thought stretching was a no-no before lifting...cardio to get the blood flowing was preferred. :patrice:
Technically you can do some static stretching(but only for 5 seconds)
But it's encouraged to do active stretching as warmup before exercises. Which is what I live by....

I do a lot of static stretching on my off days....

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I've always heard conflicting things about this: always stretch before, only stretch after, only stretch the buddy parts you aren't lifting that day, etc.
:dahell:

First it's important to classify whether it's static or active stretching....

Secondly, static stretching gets thrown in the bushes, while working out, unless it's for very short intervals, (less than 5 seconds) or part of cooling down.....

Active stretching is the way to go, before lifting...

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Not wasteful at all

This guy is a professional arm wrestler. He has zero concern for ideas such as time under tension. He trains for power, so accelerating weight quickly is his main tool

Awkward? Yes. Silly? Yes. Inefficient? Possibly. But not wasteful.

Everybody has different goals.
His arms are big as fukk, though.....