Wasteful Exercises in The Gym

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Not wasteful at all

This guy is a professional arm wrestler. He has zero concern for ideas such as time under tension. He trains for power, so accelerating weight quickly is his main tool

Awkward? Yes. Silly? Yes. Inefficient? Possibly. But not wasteful.

Everybody has different goals.

:ehh: Cool backstory

But couldn't he try something like weighted narrow-grip pullups to achieve the same thing, but with proper form?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Not wasteful at all

This guy is a professional arm wrestler. He has zero concern for ideas such as time under tension. He trains for power, so accelerating weight quickly is his main tool

Awkward? Yes. Silly? Yes. Inefficient? Possibly. But not wasteful.

Everybody has different goals.

That is always the part you have to keep in mind.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
:ehh: Cool backstory

But couldn't he try something like weighted narrow-grip pullups to achieve the same thing, but with proper form?

Tough to say.....thats why i mentioned he is possibly being inefficient

But i know a minimal amount about arm wrestling trainig so i cant say

All I know is that training for powerful bursts is a different ballgame than training for muscle growth, weight loss, or raw strength

I'm sure he probably uses a combination of training techniques. He just blessed us with one of the funniest weightlifting videos on the internet:blessed:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
Nothing is a waste as long as you are progressively overloading. But we know that isnt happening with the average gym-goer

I dislike seeing fat people doing bodybuilder style routines, but it aint their fault they are victims of too much fitness industry BS

What type of routines are fat people supposed to do with weights? What would you say is a bodybuilder routine?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
What type of routines are fat people supposed to do with weights? What would you say is a bodybuilder routine?
He might be referring to programming that focuses on "splits" that are "bicep day", "shoulder day", etc. Also just a lot of isolation work when more compound movements would establish a better base, burn more cals and build more strength.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

Bodybuilder routines means two things to me

1) splitting bodyparts up into too many individual days (i.e. doing arm day, shoulder day, back day, leg day, chest day)

2) doing a large amount of isolation exercises such as tricep kickbacks, sit ups or other ab work, leg extensions, or most cringeworthty of all the hip adductor/abductor machines

Why do I think these are wasteful for fat people? Simply because they are highly inefficient ways to burn calories.

Not dissing isolation work....its amazing if you use it right, but a 250 lb chick coming into the gym for 5 sets of kickbacks and a couple planks is flat out dumb. Not calling the person dumb....like I said it isnt their fault.

I have worn a heart rate monitor doing compound supersets and cardio, and I have worn a heart rate monitor doing isolation work. The difference in calories burned is staggering. A few hundred extra calories per session adds up to a lof of fat burned over time

USSInsiders

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thought stretching was a no-no before lifting...cardio to get the blood flowing was preferred. :patrice:

Static stretches can sometimes be detrimental, I forget why, but I leave it has something to do with stressing awkward or harmful ranges of motion. but dynamic stretching is better at least for running.

I never ever stretch before I lift. I like to break out the foam roller before I run though

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ
Stretching before warning up is cautioned against, I believe. Or at least the idea is that it's more beneficial after a warm-up.

Get the blood flowing, stretch, lift. That'd the order I go in

:salute:

Tim Dripcan

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Stretching is VERY important. If that was the case then gymnastics wouldn't be as strong/flexible without stretching.

But for 45 min? Nah, you can stretch for at-least 10 mins (get the blood flowing). Apart from that I agree overall that the smith machine, ab machine, leg press machine, are wasteful exercises.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lots of good answers so far.

I can't think of one useless exercise in itself but rather, the secondary components. i.e. smith squats (as mentioned) or fat ppl doing advanced routine (also mentioned). Im really trying to think of a wasteful excercise by itself.

rogue_riezo

Les Enfants Terribles
Daps
Doing squats on the Smith Machine :scust:

I actually had no choice but to do this this morning :mjcry:. Worst part is about 3/4's of the way the dude using the squat rack left and another dude came in there, immediately dropped the bar to the lowest point then proceeded to do reverse push ups, then some frog like push ups reading from a Mens Health centrefold :scust:. Gym manager is some kinda sadist, the squat rack is right next to the smith machine so if you're too late to use the squat rack you can look to the left at any time and see what you're actually supposed to be doing.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Recently, I've seen numerous people on the bench with 5 and 10 pound weights. When I was rehabbing my shoulder, I took this approach, but that was secondary to pushups. Once I was able to control my body weight, then I jumped to the machine.

I've also seen a few people doing lat pull downs at/around 100 pounds. Again, why not just do body weight exercises.

And when I see these people do these exercises, I know its not part of a set schedule or part of a routine. I know they're not hitting this area on a weekly basis and progressively getting better. I can tell by their demeanor that most of the time they're just doing the exercise because the machine is present.