Wasteful Exercises in The Gym

Deaf2twothirds

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Babylon & Sodom Reincarnated
Not really.

If someone has too big of a belly to see their abs, it doesn't mean they shouldn't work their abs, you can still strengthen them which is incredibly important if you're pushing or pulling a weight that required core stabilization (like deadlifts and squats). Neglecting abs and your core because you "can't see them" is a recipe for disaster as well as a ticket to snap city due to a bulging/slipped disk.
Thats what squats or any compound exercise does is stabilize your core. A big belly person is wasting his time doing that. Working out lower back is more important than abs in that scenario.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Not really.

If someone has too big of a belly to see their abs, it doesn't mean they shouldn't work their abs, you can still strengthen them which is incredibly important if you're pushing or pulling a weight that required core stabilization (like deadlifts and squats). Neglecting abs and your core because you "can't see them" is a recipe for disaster as well as a ticket to snap city due to a bulging/slipped disk.
I think the issue is people doing ab specific exercises as opposed to this compounds you mentioned.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bodybuilder routines means two things to me

1) splitting bodyparts up into too many individual days (i.e. doing arm day, shoulder day, back day, leg day, chest day)

2) doing a large amount of isolation exercises such as tricep kickbacks, sit ups or other ab work, leg extensions, or most cringeworthty of all the hip adductor/abductor machines

Why do I think these are wasteful for fat people? Simply because they are highly inefficient ways to burn calories.

Not dissing isolation work....its amazing if you use it right, but a 250 lb chick coming into the gym for 5 sets of kickbacks and a couple planks is flat out dumb. Not calling the person dumb....like I said it isnt their fault.

I have worn a heart rate monitor doing compound supersets and cardio, and I have worn a heart rate monitor doing isolation work. The difference in calories burned is staggering. A few hundred extra calories per session adds up to a lof of fat burned over time

But for a man with a highly strict diet... This is still an efficient muscle building process that will change his body composition, and in turn, burn more calories in a resting state... Its not the best way, but it can work

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
But for a man with a highly strict diet... This is still an efficient muscle building process that will change his body composition, and in turn, burn more calories in a resting state... Its not the best way, but it can work

I wasn't talking about that type of person. Was talking strictly about the undisciplined overweight person who looks like they took their routine straight from a fitness magazine......which is about 90% of overweight people you see in the gym. People who have no clue how they can reach their goals with efficiency.

Once again though, I don't blame them AT ALL. I entirely blame the fitness industry which is about as capitalist as you can get (and when you are talking about people's health and well being, capitalism is a bad word). Tell people what they want to hear to sell your program? Sure. Take hormonal drugs and claim natural? Sure. Take advantage of people's mental weakness? Sure. Repackage basic fundamentals and make them appear revolutionary? Sure. Convince people that your way is the best way? Sure.

I fukking hate the fitness industry.

I'm taking them down one weighted dip and one bowl of Captain Crunch at a time

ILC303-1.gif

Sensei

Hallowed Be Thy Game
Daps
The most wasteful exercises are when you have bad form. You might as well undertrain and do a light workout with bad form.

DatBoiHawk

HAWK
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Most Ab exercises are useless. Abs are built in the kitchen or cardio once your body fat gets low enough. But a machine in particular that's BS is the Ab twist machine. All it do is bulks up your obliques. I believe its called the AB abductor. Had to talk my woman out of buying the abductor the other day.
yea, but if you want abs that stick out then you should do exercises. Im finding this out right now. I got em, but they aint just bulging

DatBoiHawk

HAWK
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I wasn't talking about that type of person. Was talking strictly about the undisciplined overweight person who looks like they took their routine straight from a fitness magazine......which is about 90% of overweight people you see in the gym. People who have no clue how they can reach their goals with efficiency.

Once again though, I don't blame them AT ALL. I entirely blame the fitness industry which is about as capitalist as you can get (and when you are talking about people's health and well being, capitalism is a bad word). Tell people what they want to hear to sell your program? Sure. Take hormonal drugs and claim natural? Sure. Take advantage of people's mental weakness? Sure. Repackage basic fundamentals and make them appear revolutionary? Sure. Convince people that your way is the best way? Sure.

I fukking hate the fitness industry.

I'm taking them down one weighted dip and one bowl of Captain Crunch at a time

ILC303-1.gif
That grinds my gears. Have these people thinking they can get ripped in 4-5 months