UFC 281 On ESPN+ PPV [11/12 @ 10 pm ET] “The Big Payback…Revenge” (Israel Adesanya/Alex Pereira)

Who Wins Saturday Night?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CW_1991

Banned
Daps
Scary to say, but I don't think Adesanya BELIEVES he can beat Pereira
You know that he's going to hunt Israel's dreams. This man was on top of the world and seemed absolutely unbeatable at his weight division and then this. And he would have won hadn't it been for that last explosion of effort that Alex went for at the end.

After that mean left hook to the jaw his brain was mush. I still can't believe it.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
i've seen children get hooks in faster and cleaner than izzy did tonight lol

ppl know i've been critical of usman for a while, but as a fighter dude was always adding new tools to his game to protect his belt. what did izzy do? give up on his hands and movement the first sign of trouble and start fighting stupid

even something like quality body work in the 4th lets him cruise to a 4-1

There was no takedown threat from Alex, its a octagon. Izzy probs could have pivoted off of the cage when breh got in on him, hes not quick on his feet it look like. IDK it just seems like his gameplan was type ass the whole fight, breh already ko'd you so you try to slip his punches on the cage in 4 oz gloves?

so upset lol, izzy you were the chosen one :damn:

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
He really had no choice. Alex's pressure was insane. When a bigger stronger guy keeps pressing forward, you pretty much have no choice but to retreat. Izzy's defense isn't good enough to stand and trade like that against a superior striker. It was a winnable fight for Izzy but he just didn't capitalize when he had Alex hurt.

This just shows how valuable pressure is in a fight. Alex was on some errol Spence shyt. Never giving his opponent any breaks or even time to think. shyt is mentally and physically exhausting.
Spot on. Down to him setting up the ko with body work.

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
As a breh that doesn't follow MMA, I have a question for the kats that do:

So...does Izzy have a serviceable ground game [mainly in regards to submissions]? Apparently, he's lethal on his feet, but if he's scared to let shyt rip because of his opponent's power, shouldn't he have, idk, went for a submission when he had him tired in round 4?

If he's bad on the ground as well, then how the fukk was he champion? Is the rest of the division that bad?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I'm new to MMA this year so still a casual but so I've never seen Izzy look very different in this fight than others. I went back and watched the Gastelum fight and that was about it. I guess I didnt think he was gonna knock him out so he needed to fight like he did and just not get knocked out. But based off how he acted all week and in the videos, I think he was worried about getting knocked out again and was trying to survive.

But he was tired himself and I dont disagree with anyone saying he could and should have really put the pressure on in the 4th. But when you think your opponent only way to beat you is knocking you out, Izzy fought it smart until that leg then Periera was in his face rest of the fight.
its cool. im only salty because i lost money to fight IQ lol

but alex whooped dude and bounced back from that 1st round like a real one. like others have said, you can't trust commentary like that. it was 3-1 on the cards, but izzy wasn't coasting like that and a lot of those clinches weren't some one-way thing either.

standing up as straight as alex does means you *have* to entertain the idea of takedowns. when a guy is gassed, you can't lower your output to let them comfortably recompose themselves. if you're gonna counterpunch on the fence, it can't be against a fukking juggernaut who's shown accuracy throughout the fight and has stunned you with just jabs.

like many are saying, a good fight is good for the division because izzy cleaned it out a while ago. new champ, new energy

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Scary to say, but I don't think Adesanya BELIEVES he can beat Pereira

It was written all over his face, along with Carla. This is what happens when Dana hyped these "faces" to the moon, without the realization that they will end up succumbing to a legit fighter. From Ronda to Izzy, it was all mouth, dancing and shyt...but once they meet somebody that's not for the show...its curtains. I know the "gimmick" is suppose to sell tickets...but the reality is that even the GOAT ended up on his back.

Hence why I knew from the get go that Pereira was going to get that win.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The problem I see with Izzy is that you need to fight like a complete dumbass in order for him to finish you.

You have to be extremly aggressive.
I mean that's how competition goes

Using boxing and fighting game experience if you're going against somebody who has a boring, methodical, solid, system you gotta be super aggressive and take big, bold chances

Because if you're fighting "smart" against someone like that you're playing right into their hands. They WANT you to play solid

They lull you into their pace, and before you know it the fight is almost over and you're like :wtf: wondering where it all went wrong

Last edited: