True Detective - Season 3 (Jan. 13th/Official Thread)

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
fukkers acting like this was a bad finale :dahell:

I enjoyed it. Great season:wow:

Ali and Dorff acted their asses off.

I think Hayes did forget, but remembered once he start talking to Julie and her daughter. Probably figured to just leave it the hell alone.

I'm there for Season 4 :wow:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Like I said, he was probably responding with the :beli: because cats were throwing wild shyt out there and not enjoying what was going on because they were focused on having their theories confirmed.

:russ:
I posted this article in the season 1 thread:
Inside the Obsessive, Strange Mind of True Detective’s Nic Pizzolatto

Did you know from the beginning how Season One would end?

I knew what the last scene was. I wasn’t entirely sure how we were going to get ourselves there, but I knew what it was. And if the last scene had to change because the characters revealed something to me, then it would change. But actually the last scene is the last scene that was always intended to be.

I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting. But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show’s not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention… if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes.

Big reveals and twists are fun and, if done well, can enhance a show or a movie. But there's so many shows and movies that are popular where the twist or reveal is the whole point/reason we're watching that we've become accustomed to a "payoff" either at the end or right before the end. You factor in this show being about a murder mystery and people naturally expect shyt like that.

We're also in the age of the completionist who needs every single little thing answered. If not then it's called "plotholes" or "loose ends".

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I wish he just left this question unanswered. I PREFER to think he remembered and chose to let her live her life in peace.

LMAO

EVERYTHING POINTED TO THE FACT
HE DIDNT REMEMBER
AND YOU nikkaS STILL WANTED TO RUN OFF WITH YOUR OWN THEORIES.

IM GLAD HE SHUT THAT shyt DOWN.

IDK WHAT IT WAS ABOUT THIS SEASON
THAT HAD EVERYBODY IGNORING ALL THE CUT AND DRIED shyt.
:devil:
:evil:

OHSNAP!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Idiots just focusing on every little detail and being smarter than the others and "solving the case" at episode 1 etc

You dumbfukks, it's about THE JOURNEY to get from the beginning to the end. The relationships between Wayne/Amelia/Roland. The tragedy all main characters endured. The mistakes and good deeds in their lives. That's the story/intrigue

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Which is why I had the :francis:when people would keep bringing up season 1 like people weren't pissed at the finale because the Yellow King wasn't some supernatural shyt or it didn't end with the cops taking down the entire ring.
The Sopranos ending. Pretty much all of The Ledtovers. I fukk with shyt like that because it's real as hell. In real life we rarely get any answers let alone neat, tidy endings. Check the national murder-clearance rate:
It's not just Chicago. Murder clearance rate is a 'national disaster'

You add some illuminati shyt into the mix and you think these guys are about to bring down a whole cult?:gucci:Rust and Marty were troubled individuals in their prime, let alone when they got:flabbynsick:Wayne and Roland seemed a little bit more well adjusted in their primes (a little bit) but we saw what time did to them. These are the heroes of our story?:patrice:These will be the ones to shut the door on this widespread corruption once and for all? They're just a couple of regular ass nikkas who fell ass first into the case that would define the rest of their lives. They're not Sherlock and Watson. They're fallible. They confront their own demons in the course of working the case and even do some fukked up shyt in the process. As old crusty men, they see an opportunity to make all those mistakes and sins mean something. Going back to Sherlock and Watson, I love the show Sherlock. It's grandiose and full of twists and big reveals. It works. I love Sherlock. I love True Detective. I don't expect anywhere near the same experience or execution from them tho.

FLORIDA BOI

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the theories are whatt kept the season interesting . this was more about the journey than the actual case. like I said everyone wanted some deep shyt like we felt in season 1 and some more cultish shyt with the case . season 1 will never be duplicated it almost seems like they are going out of their way to go away from it. I like the season but I'm not hyped anymore like I was waiting for one of my favorite shows .

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
did @hex ever chime in on the finale, if so @ me,please.

That said, my own 2 pennies, I thought the season as a whole was really, really, really fukking good. I'm a big fan of good acting so I really was mindblown by how good Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff were. Ive seen Ali in House of Cards and Hunger Games, (I missed Moonlight) and always thought he was solid but didn't think the dude was this dope. The way he played the older version of Hays was really, really impressive. He better get all the trophies next award season. And Dorff was really good as well, knew him only as a B movie type dude but that guy can fukking act. The actress who played Amelia brought the piff as well.

As far as the plot. I thought it was really dope save for the finale. Yes, there was a HUGE info dump from the guy who played Mr. June, and in some ways that is kind of a cop out, but I look at it mainly as a story of how this case affected Purp, Roland and Ameilia and their families. A lot of people kind of sussed out that Hoyt was behind it early on so I wasn't to into the Julie case being resolved as much as I was hoping that Hays and Roland got some peace of mind finally at the conclusion. Both were tormented guys who were likable enough deep down but were so fukked up by their own demons that they lived pretty much in isolation.

People saying season 2 were better should off themselves. Season 2 was a rare, weird, unforseen combo of bad writing and bad acting the likes of which will probably (hopefully) never reach HBO again. I literally tried to watch season 2 again off the strength of season 3 and it was just as bad as I remember it. Vince Vaughn was given the most ridic lines and monologues Ive ever seen and the plot was beyond lazy. So hopefully HBO will give Nic time to cook up a worthy follow up and not pressure him to put out a yearly show. Season 2 was laughably bad.

But yeah, overall, off the strength of the acting mainly, Id give season 3 a 8/10. Dorff and Ali had be more worried about their characters than any I can remember in a fukking minute.

Nah unfortunately I been wild busy, still need to peep the finale. I'll keep you posted though breh.

Fred.

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I posted this article in the season 1 thread:
Inside the Obsessive, Strange Mind of True Detective’s Nic Pizzolatto

Big reveals and twists are fun and, if done well, can enhance a show or a movie. But there's so many shows and movies that are popular where the twist or reveal is the whole point/reason we're watching that we've become accustomed to a "payoff" either at the end or right before the end. You factor in this show being about a murder mystery and people naturally expect shyt like that.

We're also in the age of the completionist who needs every single little thing answered. If not then it'
When people wanted things explained to them for Bird Box I knew something was wrong. People really want to be spoon fed these days.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
I wish he just left this question unanswered. I PREFER to think he remembered and chose to let her live her life in peace.
Why would they clearly show him forget then somehow remember? It's way more thematically satisfying that he got so close to the answer he had been searching for his whole life but the dementia kicked in.