True Detective - Season 3 (Jan. 13th/Official Thread)

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
Which is why I had the :francis:when people would keep bringing up season 1 like people weren't pissed at the finale because the Yellow King wasn't some supernatural shyt or it didn't end with the cops taking down the entire ring.
rust-vision.gif

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
One thing it seems people are sleepin on is the way they've been transitioning between flash backs and fast forward. They were really creative the way they been weavin thru the timeline. Not just your typical fading.

The story telling and sequencing was A1.

It's easy to lose folks with multiple timelines going on through a show, this was easy to follow and understand what was going on. The distinctiveness in the characters ages/looks from each timeline was a great touch.

The exact opposite from what we got in S2 of WestWorld. That was a shyt show in terms of how it was edited

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thought the season was alright, spectacular acting but can't rock with the conclusion, to set up everything for some heavy shyt and have it as vanilla as it gets (the detectives killed more people than the whole 40 year case) was just not right to me...

slightly better overall than S2 and nowhere near S1, hoping for a 4th as it's quality tv to me

i know i've said it on this forum before but bring MINDHUNTER back aaaaaaaaaaalready !!!

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

Thank you. Cats need to cut the bullshyt out. Obviously that can be chalked up to "Rust was hallucinating" but it's equally obvious Pizzolatto was trying to skirt the line between a police drama and cosmic horror in season 1. Otherwise there's no reason to see some shyt like that in the same room as The Yellow King. Not to mention the old caretaker rambling about "Him who eats time", which is about as Lovecraftian as a description gets.

Anyway, I'm about to finish up the finale, I'll post my thoughts after breakfast.

Fred.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
thought the season was alright, spectacular acting but can't rock with the conclusion, to set up everything for some heavy shyt and have it as vanilla as it gets (the detectives killed more people than the whole 40 year case) was just not right to me...

slightly better overall than S2 and nowhere near S1, hoping for a 4th as it's quality tv to me

i know i've said it on this forum before but bring MINDHUNTER back aaaaaaaaaaalready !!!
yeah, i'm pretty hyped for mindhunter s2

MAGNETO.

#STARKSET #LEMONCAKEGANG #NYGBIGBLUE
Daps
Reppin
NY FOOTBALL GIANTS. #STARKSET
I second the other posters who say it's not about the big reveals and twists. Down to its core, this show is about the people on these cases and their human flaws.. It's not a police procedural

Creator was bold for doing this and it paid off in the end for me.

Enjoyed this season.

MAGNETO.

Daps
Reppin
Which is why I had the :francis:when people would keep bringing up season 1 like people weren't pissed at the finale because the Yellow King wasn't some supernatural shyt or it didn't end with the cops taking down the entire ring.

ppl forget how much shyt that finale got in s1.

Rust character does a complete 180 in the last 5 mins after spewing nihilistic bullshyt and being a cynic the entire series. I gotta rewatch it but that's what I felt at the time, it felt unearned.

MAGNETO.

Daps
Reppin
A child being kidnapped to replace a crazy woman's dead daughter is creepy as fukk.

You can be creepy and disturbing without having to use a cult.

ppls fascination with cults/serial killers/conspiracies/nazi shyt is mind boggling to me

I feel like no matter how complex the story gets (season 2 was actually pretty interesting but they failed in execution) True Detective has always been at its core a character study of the protagonists. that's when it does it well. and there's no way you can subvert what occurs in these types of genres that involve cults/serial killers/conspiracies etc.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Forgot to write up my thoughts.

Over all I liked the season and will check for season 4 off the strength of it....but the two exposition dumps in the finale were absolutely terrible. And flies in the face of claims that the show wasn't concerned with answering questions, just exploring it's characters. Hell, Hays himself point blanks says his relationship with Amelia is inextricably bound to the case. Their entire time together (and even after she is gone) is haunted by it.

Anyway....I think the finale would've been 100x better if the info about the case was spread out over the last 2-3 eps as opposed to "here's what happened" twice in one ep.

As far as the whole "Hays forgot when he finally finds Julie"....not a fan of that at all. Not because I wanted some kind of resolution....but because it's kinda pointless to show him forget. Especially in light of the fact that his son kept the address. Hays was obsessed with the case, there's no guarantee he wouldn't have the same epiphany or remember why he went there, at a later date. I guess we can assume he didn't....but again, up until the last ep nothing indicates he would just let something like that slide.

Anyway, Mahershala Ali deserves every award on the planet. Dorff was great too. Him more or less begging Hays not to quit because he's the only friend he has was hard to watch.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
ppls fascination with cults/serial killers/conspiracies/nazi shyt is mind boggling to me

I feel like no matter how complex the story gets (season 2 was actually pretty interesting but they failed in execution) True Detective has always been at its core a character study of the protagonists. that's when it does it well. and there's no way you can subvert what occurs in these types of genres that involve cults/serial killers/conspiracies etc.

I think Pizzolatto severely fukked up by using the season 1 story first.

Creepy, seemingly all-powerful cult....Lovecraftian references....Rust paraphrasing Thomas Ligotti....the show had a vibe in season 1 that people now, for better or worse, expect from every season. I don't think people will be 100% satisfied until Pizzolatto does something similar, unfortunately.

Fred.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I finally finished it. I liked the season, and the ending was fine. This season relied on good acting and atmosphere. The story wasn’t all that great though. Still, it was a good ride

7/10