True Detective - Season 3 (Jan. 13th/Official Thread)

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
I've seen fans speculate that there's a moment where it looks like Wayne remembers who Julie is and realizes she's alive.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Yeah, it's after the little girl brings him a glass of water. Again, I wonder how much of these things I should just leave to interpenetration, but I don't believe he remembered who she was. I believe there was some kind of look and a hint of remembering what he was doing there and then it passed. I do think given the subtleties of Mahershala's performance and the nuances he brings to it, people can read that as they wish.

Did you want to leave Julie's fate open to interpretation?

Ultimately, that is really her at the end. And I think it's enough to know that she made it. It's the same actress that we witnessed before and also in the surveillance video from 1990.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ESQ: This goes all the way back to season one, but there's such an active community talking about True Detective, and it's been fun to see you engage with viewers through Instagram.

Nic Pizzolatto: Yeah, I hadn't done that before, and a younger friend of mine recommended Instagram because I've just never been a social media person. I found I really enjoyed engaging with fans to the degree I could without ruining anything. I wanted to help reel in the wilder speculations to try to help people manage their expectations a little bit and to maybe help them see what we were trying to focus on. And I enjoyed the dialogue and I enjoyed seeing people talk amongst themselves. I liked seeing the conversations and discussions that would develop among the fans.
Like I said, he was probably responding with the :beli: because cats were throwing wild shyt out there and not enjoying what was going on because they were focused on having their theories confirmed.

I remember seeing you chime in on theories that Amelia was the killer and another one speculating that Roland's character might be gay.

I just felt like there was no reason to not offer some clarity about those issues. The Amelia thing, I just really didn't get. She's a complicated, ambitious, but fundamentally good person who wants to be a writer. I don't see how you would make the leap from there to child killer.

That kind of twist isn't something I really considered good storytelling—that I was lying about how I was portraying a character. And it would make Wayne a pretty terrible detective, because he was married to this woman for 33 years and he never clocked the fact that she was a murderer. So I thought that by providing clarity to that, it would help those fans who thought they were being set up for something like that. And again, the same thing with Roland—I was just providing clarity.
:russ:

One of the cut scenes you discussed on Instagram had to do with Amelia's death.

Yeah. And again, the reason I addressed it was I just felt like fans were owed that. Even if you're paying attention, I think, in the early episodes, Wayne mentioned it was just a couple years ago and they had plans to travel, but I did feel like fans deserved that answer and since we didn't get to put the scene in the final cut of the finale. I just wanted to clear that up for them. I don't think the story's weaker for not having it. I just felt that given some of the speculation, owed the fans an answer.

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
The next day Hoyt tells him that if he keeps looking for the girl, other people will keep looking for her and as long as people are looking for her, Wayne's family is in danger. Hays then tells Amelia they need to stop messing with the case and move on.

In hindsight, that was kinda bullshyt, no? What other people were looking for Julie besides Watts? Hoyt barely knew what the fukk was going on :heh: What danger would Hayes and his family be in when there was no conspiracy? Only real danger was Hayes and Roland getting jailed up for murdering Harris :patrice:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In hindsight, that was kinda bullshyt, no? What other people were looking for Julie besides Watts? Hoyt barely knew what the fukk was going on :heh: What danger would Hayes and his family be in when there was no conspiracy? Only real danger was Hayes and Roland getting jailed up for murdering Harris :patrice:
By "other people" Hoyt meant his guys. I have no doubt he had other goons on the payroll. He might not have known exactly what happened that day the boy was killed, but he knew that an investigation would lead to him as it had. As long as Roland and Hays were looking for the girl, Hoyt would have people trying to find her first. They don't know what she knows, what she remembers. Cops find her and she somehow remembers what happened, Hoyt is fukked.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
By "other people" Hoyt meant his guys. I have no doubt he had other goons on the payroll. He might not have known exactly what happened that day the boy was killed, but he knew that an investigation would lead to him as it had. As long as Roland and Hays were looking for the girl, Hoyt would have people trying to find her first. They don't know what she knows, what she remembers. Cops find her and she somehow remembers what happened, Hoyt is fukked.

:patrice: I guess, but that's still kind of weak though, Hoyt will let her go as long as no one else is looking for her...but Julie could just fukk around and start talking and fukk him up anyways :heh:

Another thing, did we find out who was behind Lucy's murder/dearh? Did Hoyt knew about that or was that Harris acting on his own? Pretty sure that was answered in the finale but I can't remember.

Daps

Hoyt was obviously talking about his people. That's why he said he could GUARANTEE that the "other people" would stop looking if Wayne stopped looking.

Sometimes I be wondering what show brehs is watching.

:patrice: I guess, but that's still kind of weak though, Hoyt will let her go as long as no one else is looking for her...but Julie could just fukk around and start talking and fukk him up anyways :heh:

Another thing, did we find out who was behind Lucy's murder/dearh? Did Hoyt knew about that or was that Harris acting on his own? Pretty sure that was answered in the finale but I can't remember.

She didn't tell in ten years since she ran away, why would Hoyt think she's gonna tell now? Remember, the only reason things got active with Julie again is cuz a pharmacy got robbed a bit after she was shopping there. It's not like Julie popped up making threats. Plus from the phone call Julie made (which I believe Hoyt indicated he had heard), it was clear that Julie's mental state was questionable since she didn't know her brother had died.

I don't think Hoyt explicitly confirmed he was behind Lucy's death, but it's the only thing that makes sense. Harris wouldn't act on his own, he was just a Hoyt goon. Hoyt hinted that he'd be willing to silence Julie if it came to that, so him silencing an addict unstable Lucy making threats fits right in line with that.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Just watched the finale. Underwhelming, I give the series a 6.5/10. I been saying this crime doesn't seem up to past True Detective standards and it wasn't. While Season 2 had its problems the crime story was at least compelling. This was an accidental death and kidnapping with no other implications. When the one eyed Black guy finished the story I was like. :russell: Really?
It's funny how they okey doked all the theory conjurers tho. :heh:

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
did @hex ever chime in on the finale, if so @ me,please.

That said, my own 2 pennies, I thought the season as a whole was really, really, really fukking good. I'm a big fan of good acting so I really was mindblown by how good Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff were. Ive seen Ali in House of Cards and Hunger Games, (I missed Moonlight) and always thought he was solid but didn't think the dude was this dope. The way he played the older version of Hays was really, really impressive. He better get all the trophies next award season. And Dorff was really good as well, knew him only as a B movie type dude but that guy can fukking act. The actress who played Amelia brought the piff as well.

As far as the plot. I thought it was really dope save for the finale. Yes, there was a HUGE info dump from the guy who played Mr. June, and in some ways that is kind of a cop out, but I look at it mainly as a story of how this case affected Purp, Roland and Ameilia and their families. A lot of people kind of sussed out that Hoyt was behind it early on so I wasn't to into the Julie case being resolved as much as I was hoping that Hays and Roland got some peace of mind finally at the conclusion. Both were tormented guys who were likable enough deep down but were so fukked up by their own demons that they lived pretty much in isolation.

People saying season 2 were better should off themselves. Season 2 was a rare, weird, unforseen combo of bad writing and bad acting the likes of which will probably (hopefully) never reach HBO again. I literally tried to watch season 2 again off the strength of season 3 and it was just as bad as I remember it. Vince Vaughn was given the most ridic lines and monologues Ive ever seen and the plot was beyond lazy. So hopefully HBO will give Nic time to cook up a worthy follow up and not pressure him to put out a yearly show. Season 2 was laughably bad.

But yeah, overall, off the strength of the acting mainly, Id give season 3 a 8/10. Dorff and Ali had be more worried about their characters than any I can remember in a fukking minute.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I've seen fans speculate that there's a moment where it looks like Wayne remembers who Julie is and realizes she's alive.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Yeah, it's after the little girl brings him a glass of water. Again, I wonder how much of these things I should just leave to interpenetration, but I don't believe he remembered who she was. I believe there was some kind of look and a hint of remembering what he was doing there and then it passed. I do think given the subtleties of Mahershala's performance and the nuances he brings to it, people can read that as they wish.

Did you want to leave Julie's fate open to interpretation?

Ultimately, that is really her at the end. And I think it's enough to know that she made it. It's the same actress that we witnessed before and also in the surveillance video from 1990.

I wish he just left this question unanswered. I PREFER to think he remembered and chose to let her live her life in peace.