True Detective - Season 3 (Jan. 13th/Official Thread)

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Finished the rewatch. Am now prepared for S4 :ehh:

The acting was out of the world this season but low-key, S2 gained some ground for me (not sure if I would move it above S3). The latter had much of a better watch on the 2nd go around. Just needed to chop some of that dialogue, and pulls one of the character/plot string back a bit. This one was a little boring, almost mundane at times (and no I was not hoping for some secret cult or ring or shootout or whatever)
Second season is messy and I think a large part of that is not having a singular director/vision. The writing is sloppier too but it could have been better with a strong guidance. I still don't think its nowhere near as bad as ppl make it out to be, it's just season 1 was such a high bar to set.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
I just went through and did a full detailed watch of season 1 :wow: I kinda just used it as something to put on before bed at first. shyt was great, a lot of life gems and quotables from both main characters.

Gonna start season 2 today. I remember the big shooting scene which was crazy but that’s about it.

Superstar
Daps
I just went through and did a full detailed watch of season 1 :wow: I kinda just used it as something to put on before bed at first. shyt was great, a lot of life gems and quotables from both main characters.

Gonna start season 2 today. I remember the big shooting scene which was crazy but that’s about it.

I found that the shooting episode is the perfect starting point for season 2. I start there finish the season then watch what led up to it. It helped me really appreciate the LA noir campiness of it, Like LA confidential or dikk Tracy.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Finally got around to watching it, and I really enjoyed this season beginning to end. As in the first season, the acting is magnificent. Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff both put on a clinic. I was very impressed by Carmen Ejogo as well as the portrayal of the character, who was far more complex than I would have expected. And the guy who played the father of the missing children, Scoot McNairy...stunning performance from beginning to end.

I like how this season plays with tropes from the previous seasons only to pull the rug from under you and reveal this is really just a mixture of detective procedurals and noir. Instead of a grand conspiracy you're faced with a far simpler resolution: a broken man (Hoyt), a family coverup, and the crimes that were committed to hide it all. The buildup makes you expect a mass conspiracy, child trafficking, pedophiles, etc. But the truth is more Raymond Chandler than Jeffery Epstein. So it's more traditional noir than what we saw in S1. Rich men trying to hide the sins of their family, and the dogged detective who keeps stumbling closer to the truth.

The finale has a lot of exposition and characters dumping plot on you but it works IMO. By the end it's a collection of elderly characters, each clinging onto pieces of a puzzle they want to complete. Each full of regrets and mistakes. Think about how much this dwells on cops/detectives fukking up cases. The errors, biases, low case clearance rates...this isn't a heroic tale of detectives doing everything right and winning the day. Instead it's a lot of ego, alcoholism, and overlooking details.

Also thought it was another interesting take on masculinity, just like season one. Roland's loneliness in his later years, the isolation from everything, the lack of family...that's the end road for so many men unwilling to change. Seeing Hays drag him back into the world was beautiful because he brought him back to life. Almost wanted to shed a thug tear when he mentioned he was going to spend a few days at Hays' house going forward. Their chemistry was amazing man. What a season.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Finally got around to watching it, and I really enjoyed this season beginning to end. As in the first season, the acting is magnificent. Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff both put on a clinic. I was very impressed by Carmen Ejogo as well as the portrayal of the character, who was far more complex than I would have expected. And the guy who played the father of the missing children, Scoot McNairy...stunning performance from beginning to end.

I like how this season plays with tropes from the previous seasons only to pull the rug from under you and reveal this is really just a mixture of detective procedurals and noir. Instead of a grand conspiracy you're faced with a far simpler resolution: a broken man (Hoyt), a family coverup, and the crimes that were committed to hide it all. The buildup makes you expect a mass conspiracy, child trafficking, pedophiles, etc. But the truth is more Raymond Chandler than Jeffery Epstein. So it's more traditional noir than what we saw in S1. Rich men trying to hide the sins of their family, and the dogged detective who keeps stumbling closer to the truth.

The finale has a lot of exposition and characters dumping plot on you but it works IMO. By the end it's a collection of elderly characters, each clinging onto pieces of a puzzle they want to complete. Each full of regrets and mistakes. Think about how much this dwells on cops/detectives fukking up cases. The errors, biases, low case clearance rates...this isn't a heroic tale of detectives doing everything right and winning the day. Instead it's a lot of ego, alcoholism, and overlooking details.

Also thought it was another interesting take on masculinity, just like season one. Roland's loneliness in his later years, the isolation from everything, the lack of family...that's the end road for so many men unwilling to change. Seeing Hays drag him back into the world was beautiful because he brought him back to life. Almost wanted to shed a thug tear when he mentioned he was going to spend a few days at Hays' house going forward. Their chemistry was amazing man. What a season.
My fav season so far, underrated imo

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Glancing through the thread and some other reviews, I've seen people complain about red herrings. Specifically the video journalist plot. But to me that felt like a not so subtle wink at the audience: specifically, fans who come up with elaborate theories that taint how they watch the show. There's a scene where Hays points out how personal bias for a specific conclusion leads to bad detective work. The first couple seasons of the show delve into secret societies but that doesn't guarantee every season will be that. More importantly, noir is much more than that. How many noir stories basically boil down to the rich guy covering up for his mentally ill son who killed somebody lol. In this case, the rich guy covers up for his mentally ill daughter who kidnaps somebody.