Tom Joyner offers Rachel Jeantel a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to any HBCU - (Trayvon Martin)

AlwaysLurkin

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop acting like yall didn't have a few friends that was like this girl,this is a good opportunity for her so I don't see how yall can hate on this

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
If he's helping her obtain her GED, then i'm sure there will be a level of preparation for college as well. Because she's illiterate now, doesn't mean she will be forever. Illiteracy is not AIDS, there is a cure for it and it's called education.

They cured AIDS :dwillhuh: ???

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They cured AIDS :dwillhuh: ???

:what:

Illiteracy IS NOT AIDS
There is a cure for it (illiteracy)
and it's called education.

aka...AIDS is not curable but illiteracy can be cured by being educated. How do you bold half a sentence and pretend you don't understand what I just said.

Theraflu

Newly-wed :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
This chick is illiterate. Why the fukk is Joyner trying to send her to college?

:wtf:

So what "college' could an illiterate person attend and hope to do well? Are you aware that colleges generally have basic requirements prior to entry? I'm sure general reading comprehension is one of them. Why the hell is that such an outrageous concept for nikkas to understand?

How exactly are we meant to lift someone from illiteracy other than educate them, while I see the POV of you and @Spud34, something is missing here. You meet many people who fail out of high school, end up in jail for example and then go on to eventually pass their GED, study to get into university and begin a new life.

Something is missing in your logic, surely if someone is 'stupid' (I don't believe these people are purely stupid) and I wanted to help change their life around, allowing them a chance to redo their high school diploma and giving them a chance to further their education would be the only way to actually help them rise from said stupidity.

Noone is inherently stupid, how exactly can we make them go from illiteracy to intelligence without bypassing the stage where we actually educate them.

The dude isn't going to randomly chuck her in a HBCU, he wants her to study the basics first and progress on and then once she is ready for the next step he will fund her university. I honestly can't see how anyone can even fault his plan.

Please elaborate on this.... both you and @Spud34, very interesting in your POV

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
We can't have martin going out like that. Please stop associating this chick with him

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I'm glad that some good could come from this trial. I hope she accepts his offer and gets a good education. Maybe she can become a lawyer. I wish her all the best.

Theraflu

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
He coulda given her money to whatever school she got accepted into, not just limited to a raggedy HBCU:birdman:

Raggedy HBCU? Maybe due to her experience he wants her to be in an environment where she is most comfortable ?

white people sittin back like

"look they still bashing each other even when one of them tries to help the other one! :blessed: "

LMAO :russ:

dj vtg

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People aren't purely dumb, some people clearly are smarter and excel further, but "dumb" is usually a result of a lack of time invested and resources.

To be honest, the gesture is nice, but the real wake up call is realizing that we need to invest in kids from 4th-8th grade especially, those years are so critical to developing vocab, reading skills, math skills, an interest in learning, etc. I've worked with middle and high school kids and it's much easier to change the outcome at 12/13 than trying to step in at 16/17

i agree with everything you just said...

Francis White

i been away to long, my feeling died.
Daps
Reppin
New York, New York
Not going to bash someone getting a chance, i really hopes she takes advantage of it makes something of her life, best case would be her moving away from where she lives now, peer pressure to drop out of school, struggle to get her GED, someone said she is poor, then you know her folks can't do jack for her. I would consider this a success if she moves away get a stable job and is around positive people. Plus lose that body fat, not a good look.

Theraflu

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
:whoa: I like what this man is trying to do, but I'm not going to pretend like being ill-prepared for school will end with success. This isn't really a commentary on Rachel (I don't know much about her), but more-so the idea on what college is supposed to be and the purpose it serves.

College is suppose to be about higher education; We're supposed to learn literacy and all that other sh!t in elementary school, otherwise, college would just be an overly-expensive extension of high school more-so than it already is the first couple of years :shrug2:

Breh, you have raised good points but again, the girl obviously failed her education first time round and this dude isn't just pushing an illiterate person into college. He is giving her a chance to gain her diploma again and then go into college.

I don't know where this mentality that if someone failed something or if they have literacy issues they are somehow a lost cause who don't deserve to be educated.

How exactly are we meant to make a person like Rachel better without educating her ? Seriously. Education is the only way we can deal with illiteracy and he is giving her that.

dontreadthis

philly.
Daps
Yep..

Haven't even gotten to the posts from the "HBCU's can't compare to the white mans universities" crowd yet...But I'm sure they're in here somewhere...
clocked in much later than I expected but the venom and disdain for them is as strong as ever.

Theraflu

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
Yep..

Haven't even gotten to the posts from the "HBCU's can't compare to the white mans universities" crowd yet...But I'm sure they're in here somewhere...

The ''why send her to a raggedy HBCU' is in here somewhere

Very interested to hear the brehs @Lewis Black @No_bammer_weed and @Malta take on this topic.

Last edited by a moderator: