Tom Joyner offers Rachel Jeantel a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to any HBCU - (Trayvon Martin)

rip928

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Savannah, Ga
Regular ass schools were not even available to blacks until the early 60's, so HBCUs are the "regular" schools for our people. Of course major universities in america have more resources because they have been building them for more than a century with white privilege. The only reason we are accepted into this culture of "higher education" is because the money we are allowed to pay to attend is too great to ignore from the same white administrators that poured soup on your folks head at the sit ins. Yet and still, blacks were able to fight through and still become doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers etc. with the help of HBCUs.

Lets cut the bull$hit. We go to these overpriced schools because the majority(whites) do it. Because we are the minority, we feel like like we must assimilate ourselves into the real world(white world). All the while, we look down on the same institutions (hbcu) that carried our ass the whole time.

If blacks, latinos, asians and whatever other minority in this country strictly went to a bunch of fictional minority universities, do you think white people would beat down its doors in order to be apart of a better representation of the "real world". Hell no

Blacks should go wherever they feel, but not realizing how important and viable HBCUs are is crazy. "Major" universities are major because of MONEY and a hell of a head start, solely because of segregation. White minds arent inherently better than black ones. And our resources can be just as great if we pooled them together.

Just my opinion. My 2 cents aint worth a dime brehs :manny:

Black_Jesus

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
from the home of coca-cola, i'm not referring to s
Regular ass schools were not even available to blacks until the early 60's, so HBCUs are the "regular" schools for our people. Of course major universities in america have more resources because they have been building them for more than a century with white privilege. The only reason we are accepted into this culture of "higher education" is because the money we are allowed to pay to attend is too great to ignore from the same white administrators that poured soup on your folks head at the sit ins. Yet and still, blacks were able to fight through and still become doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers etc. with the help of HBCUs.

Lets cut the bull$hit. We go to these overpriced schools because the majority(whites) do it. Because we are the minority, we feel like like we must assimilate ourselves into the real world(white world). All the while, we look down on the same institutions (hbcu) that carried our ass the whole time.

If blacks, latinos, asians and whatever other minority in this country strictly went to a bunch of fictional minority universities, do you think white people would beat down its doors in order to be apart of a better representation of the "real world". Hell no

Blacks should go wherever they feel, but not realizing how important and viable HBCUs are is crazy. "Major" universities are major because of MONEY and a hell of a head start, solely because of segregation. White minds arent inherently better than black ones. And our resources can be just as great if we pooled them together.

Just my opinion. My 2 cents aint worth a dime brehs :manny:

So 30k a year for most HBCUs isn't overpriced to you??

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is a tough one. A scholarship is supposed to be a reward for hard work and educational excellence, two things we have no evidence of her accomplishing. Add to that the fact that she didn't even try to present herself in a favorable capacity in an effort to ensure that Trayvon's killer goes to jail, I have to ask the question:

What the hell are we rewarding her for?

*edit* He's rewarding her not "we", so he's entitled to do whatever he wants with his money.

My issue comes down to the perception that I have of her "effort" she gave during her testimony. She came off as someone who did not give a shyt about making sure he was convicted. I feel like he's rewarding a person who dropped the ball, a person who isn't exactly college scholarship material to start with. I don't know why. Maybe it's because he was embarrassed for her.

I can't shake that image of her tweeting #courtnails out of my head. Hopefully if she does accept (which would be crazy if she didn't), the school environment can give her the chance to get her mind right.

There are need-based scholarships and academic ones. This one is clearly need-based.

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Only on the Coli will people find something wrong with a black person givin a free education to another black person. :snoop:

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If y'all have ever listened to Joyner's radio show you would know Joyner only fukks with HBCUs anyway, if he is giving Jeantel a free scholly than why is there even a debate on this?

MR. Conclusion

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
There are need-based scholarships and academic ones. This one is clearly need-based.

Oh ok, and I meant to ask a question about that in my post. The only scholarships I knew about were based on good grades / extra curricular activities.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
Not being able to string together a complete sentence is "doing enough" to be rewarded an education. She clearly needs better guidance as what she's had thus far is SEVERELY lacking. So maybe Tom Joyner, like others, myself included, found it painful to see a person of color be on the witness stand and not be able to properly communicate. That's a huge problem in all aspects of her life, unless she just opts not to talk to anyone. Those are people that deserve help the most. WHAT THE fukk IS WRONG WITH YALL!?!?!?

I guess I have carried over anger at the fact that she went on the stand and didn't take it seriously. Maybe the prosecution set her up to fail by putting her up there on the stand, but her friend was murdered and she didn't take the shyt seriously at all. Then you have the verdict, which her testimony was factored in, to get the not guilty verdict. Now she is getting offers from people to get an education? I know you see something wrong with this. She should have been offered an education BEFORE all this happened. But since she was thrown into the spotlight, now, people want to help her. I'm sorry but I'm not cut like that. I don't believe in rewarding or feeling sorry for ignorance. There might be something wrong with me, I'm sorry, but I can't feel sorry for her. (Reminds me of too many young black women and young black men I know who just don't give a fukk.)

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I guess I have carried over anger at the fact that she went on the stand and didn't take it seriously. Maybe the prosecution set her up to fail by putting her up there on the stand, but her friend was murdered and she didn't take the shyt seriously at all. Then you have the verdict, which her testimony was factored in, to get the not guilty verdict. Now she is getting offers from people to get an education? I know you see something wrong with this. She should have been offered an education BEFORE all this happened. But since she was thrown into the spotlight, now, people want to help her. I'm sorry but I'm not cut like that. I don't believe in rewarding or feeling sorry for ignorance. There might be something wrong with me, I'm sorry, but I can't feel sorry for her. (Reminds me of too many young black women and young black men I know who just don't give a fukk.)

No one asked you to feel sorry for her but I think you have to be brain dead to think she couldn't benefit from an education.

and George Zimmerman was getting off anyway.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
No one asked you to feel sorry for her but I think you have to be brain dead to think she couldn't benefit from an education.

and George Zimmerman was getting off anyway.

It's crazy right. We are all beating around the bush and not just saying it like it is. Of course she could benefit from an education. We are all saying that she is a dumbass. :heh: The brutal truth is that she didn't finish high school. For whatever reason and continued to live without finishing high school. She feels comfortable living like this, it's not our responsibility to feel pity or even try to help her out. Tom Joyner knows that this will enhance his credibility with his listening audience and he probably won't have to pay a dime for her to get into a school. (Assuming she gets her GED) I'm sorry but I don't have the compassion in my heart for this nikka bullshyt anymore. I have a lot of real nikkas in my fam and my tolerance for nikka shyt (not finishing high school because you are too tired to go, or you need bail money) is very low. Good luck to her, I hope she proves all the nay-sayers wrong and she becomes the next Oprah. I just don't give a damn about her or her simple ass opinions at the present time.

Seea

rill rill
Daps
Reppin
Nope.
She should have been offered an education BEFORE all this happened.

:dwillhuh:

How would this have been possible had she NOT been thrust into the spotlight? Not a soul would offer a free ride just off the strength of her being Trayvon's friend. Come the fukk on. We all know what we saw watching her on the stand. Something gotta give.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
:dwillhuh:

How would this have been possible had she NOT been thrust into the spotlight? Not a soul would offer a free ride just off the strength of her being Trayvon's friend. Come the fukk on. We all know what we saw watching her on the stand. Something gotta give.

LOL That's my point. We have all been guilt-tripped into this. I've even seen people :cape: to her rescue because people are just saying the truth. She probably doesn't even realize what an embarrassment she is or she just doesn't give a fukk. At the end of the day I want to see how this "Scholarship/GED combo" is going to pan out. All the luck to her in the world to succeed so they can make a movie about this but as of right now, I'm just not feeling this helping her out bullshyt. If she couldn't finish her GED how long is she going to last in college? Some people are just not willing or able to go to school.

irishfury

Get Money Gang
Daps
I swear do people hop out of bed like welp time to get hating on everything on the internet today.

images