Tom Joyner offers Rachel Jeantel a FULL SCHOLARSHIP to any HBCU - (Trayvon Martin)

SuburbanPimp

Giving game to lames since the 90s
Daps
Reppin
In Dallas, From Cleveland
This is dope, and Tom Joyner isn't doing this for "Kudos" cause he been giving out scholarships for kids for over a decade. I appulaud him of this thoug, because while ol girl may not have been interested in going to college before I'm sure this whole trial opened her eyes up alot and she might want to take advantage of these chances she wouldn't have had otherwise.. I can't see how anybody doesn't think this is a good thing.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:damn: so if it was her dream to attend FSU, UofM, or UCLA, then bushes??

No, she can get into student loan debt like everyone else. It's an offer, not a requirement. If she wants a free college education, its her if she chooses to attend an HBCU. If she doesn't, that's her choice.

BlackElitism

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Washington, DC
He coulda given her money to whatever school she got accepted into, not just limited to a raggedy HBCU:birdman:

:snoop: maybe those are the only schools who will take a chance on her. Her problems in high school could be linked to the fact she's not around people who look like her. Apparently the school her and trayvon attend in Miami is in Aventura and an "A" school. Last I checked Aventura area is 75% non-hispanic white and 21 percent hispanic, about 2% black.

Any higher education is going to be a win for her. For anyone in that matter. Raggedy or not.

dj vtg

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why do americans think sending someone to college is a cure for stupidity?

maybe she's just dumb.

TooLazyToMakeUp1

LWO suicide bomber
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Out here in my damn drawls
Ummm because she's illiterate!!

What the fukk is wrong with yall?

:whoa: I like what this man is trying to do, but I'm not going to pretend like being ill-prepared for school will end with success. This isn't really a commentary on Rachel (I don't know much about her), but more-so the idea on what college is supposed to be and the purpose it serves.

College is suppose to be about higher education; We're supposed to learn literacy and all that other sh!t in elementary school, otherwise, college would just be an overly-expensive extension of high school more-so than it already is the first couple of years :shrug2:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Agreed. shyt like that pisses me off.

Chances are, if you're trying to obtain your GED, then you won't have the education for college courses. Let's be real, you can't fail highschool, get your GED, then expect to go to college and succeed. :yeshrug:

At an HBCU (minus a select 4-5) you can :troll:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Ummm because she's illiterate!!

What the fukk is wrong with yall?

So what "college' could an illiterate person attend and hope to do well? Are you aware that colleges generally have basic requirements prior to entry? I'm sure general reading comprehension is one of them. Why the hell is that such an outrageous concept for nikkas to understand?

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
So what "college' could an illeterate person attend and hope to do well? Are you aware that colleges generally have basic requirements prior to entry? I'm sure general reading comprehension is one of them. Why the hell is that such an outrageous concept for nikkas to understand?

:myman:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
why do americans think sending someone to college is a cure for stupidity?

maybe she's just dumb.

People aren't purely dumb, some people clearly are smarter and excel further, but "dumb" is usually a result of a lack of time invested and resources.

To be honest, the gesture is nice, but the real wake up call is realizing that we need to invest in kids from 4th-8th grade especially, those years are so critical to developing vocab, reading skills, math skills, an interest in learning, etc. I've worked with middle and high school kids and it's much easier to change the outcome at 12/13 than trying to step in at 16/17

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:whoa: I like what this man is trying to do, but I'm not going to pretend like being ill-prepared for school will end with success. This isn't really a commentary on Rachel (I don't know much about her), but more-so the idea on what college is supposed to be and the purpose it serves.

College is suppose to be about higher education; We're supposed to learn literacy and all that other sh!t in elementary school, otherwise, college would just be an overly-expensive extension of high school more-so than it already is the first couple of years :shrug2:

If he's helping her obtain her GED, then i'm sure there will be a level of preparation for college as well. Because she's illiterate now, doesn't mean she will be forever. Illiteracy is not AIDS, there is a cure for it and it's called education.