There's A Problem With 'Monster Hunter: World' Review Scores, But Fixing It Is Tough

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Naw not really. Yes it's an action RPG but to be more specific it's in the Hunting Game genre. Freedom Wars, Ragnarok Odyssey, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden also fall in that genre
Out of these, only one I've played is God Eater, and it's gameplay>>>>MHW

Like i said, the general gameplay loop isn't the problem.

The problem is I'm not having fun within that loop.

Combat is the focus of the game. Combat sucks, and there isn't much else to enjoy.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Its in its own section of action rpg's. This is different than nier which is different than dark souls etc. Other action rpg's have better combat, this has far better crafting and customization.

You can't subtract points for it being worse at one thing, and not add points for it being better at another thing.

It is what it is and the 3 reviews i watched were good at explaining why they gave it the scores they did.

Last edited:

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps

Combat is the focus of the game. Combat sucks, and there isn't much else to enjoy.
If you dont like the combat thats cool, but it's subjective. Alot of people realy like it.

Review scores are subjective.

You dont like the game and thats fine lol

Last edited:

The Plug

plug couldnt trust you now u cant trust the plug
Daps
This article didn't show me that there's a problem

A 90+ on MC usually implies universal appeal, as it's an aggregate score presumably coming from all types of different gamers.

I knew what the general gameplay loop was going in. My problem is that the combat is just not fun, skilled, or varied enough to keep me grinding for hours on end. Only way I could find that out is to play the game.
You make a good point and this is coming from someone who thought Monster Hunter was a mediocre series that got better. It has flaws and there are things other games do better.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I know what the wiki says but it really annoys me that people call Monster Hunter any type of RPG. Your character doesn't level/progress at all and they don't really have a class or anything like that. There are no warrior hunters, healer hunters, mage hunters, etc. It's all tied to your equipment and weapons.
You can increase your hunting rank but that's different. I just don't see the role playing elements. Monster Hunter is kind of its own thing

The Plug

plug couldnt trust you now u cant trust the plug
Daps
I know what the wiki says but it really annoys me that people call Monster Hunter any type of RPG. Your character doesn't level/progress at all and they don't really have a class or anything like that. There are no warrior hunters, healer hunters, mage hunters, etc. It's all tied to your equipment and weapons.
You can increase your hunting rank but that's different. I just don't see the role playing elements. Monster Hunter is kind of its own thing
Monster Hunter isn't an rpg and even capcom calls it an action game and the action is all that matters. Stupid ass reviewers and fans will literally call anything that allows you to switch weapons and armor, an rpg.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Monster Hunter isn't an rpg and even capcom calls it an action game and the action is all that matters. Stupid ass reviewers and fans will literally call anything that allows you to switch weapons and armor, an rpg.
That makes it even worse:huhldup:

Compared to action games. MHW combat is straight trash.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
3+ hours in all I've seen is those little dinosaurs/lizards.

And more importantly the combat isn't challenging in terms of skill or strategy.

Just spam Y and move out of the way periodically.

I wouldn't have a problem with the smaller enemies if they were actually fun/compelling/challenging to fight.

Don't know how to read brehs :francis:
your complaints read like you only put 3 hours in:heh:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Each have very similar gameplay mechanics but I think World blows them out of the water in how they improved on nearly every aspect.
I personally would love to see Freedom Wars 2 running on the MH World engine.