There's A Problem With 'Monster Hunter: World' Review Scores, But Fixing It Is Tough

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Doesn't Monster Hunter usually review well? With all the improvements I would imagine that this would be reviewed even better than the previous entries.
should the reviews reflect how it compares to previous MH games, or how it compares to other games in general?

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
should the reviews reflect how it compares to previous MH games, or how it compares to other games in general?
I think they should be reviewed compared to their genre. Doing a quick look this game is scoring on par with the previous games but really the main difference is that since they were on the 3DS y'all weren't checking for it.
Look at Celeste, it is scoring way higher than I feel it should be but I'm not into those types of games and the people that are seem to love that game :yeshrug:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
idk, I feel like we've seen various sides of this issue. we've also seen games get bad reviews, which people write off because "the reviewer sucks at the game"

I think the article in the OP raises an interesting question: your company has to review the new Dark Souls. do you give the review to the Dark Souls fanboy, the dude that's never played Dark Souls, or the dude that hates Dark Souls? this isn't always simple either, since fanboys can also be very critical about shyt other people really don't care about. I think the best thing would be a mix of reviews from all these groups

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think they should be reviewed compared to their genre. Doing a quick look this game is scoring on par with the previous games but really the main difference is that since they were on the 3DS y'all weren't checking for it.
Look at Celeste, it is scoring way higher than I feel it should be but I'm not into those types of games and the people that are seem to love that game :yeshrug:
Compared to other action RPGs the game is lacking. Both in combat and strategy, other action RPGs are much better. Let alone talking about story/presentation.

Y'all keep saying "well if you don't like the genre....."

What I'm saying is, as a person who loves action RPGs(probably my favorite genre) the game is lacking as fukk.

It's like they took the absolute worst trope of action RPGs( "go here kill this many rabbits") and made an entire game out of it, and even then the combat is nowhere near as good as other action RPGs.

This isn't a case of "I don't like action RPGs"

This is a case of "this action RPG isn't that good"

Scores are purely hype. A beloved franchise finally comes to consoles, gets great scores.

And I can understand why it got the scores it did on DS. Handheld system, smaller games, with smaller scope, less story/presentation.

Distilling an action RPG down to what monster hunter is, makes sense on a handhelds. But putting the game on consoles and having it go up against other full fledged action RPGs the game absolutely should be held to a different standard than the handheld versions.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I love RPGs. I love to grind for loot.

The grind here is just not fun.

If it was truly good and challenging combat like Souls that would be all I need to keep coming back.

Combat is all there is at this point and it's not fun or challenging.

And it's easy at this point. I was told it takes about 10 hours before it gets really good and challenging.

That sucks imo. I gotta grind to the fun?:what:

Not sure about you but that big ass t rex looking thing with the fukked up nose popped out within my first few hours and killed me in 1 hit. It's not just weak enemies to start

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ya'll are shifting away from my point.
I responded to @Grand Conde directly because I've noticed it's very common for him to completely dismiss a person's opinion (by calling them a casual) when it doesn't 100% align with his Sony stannery.

Sony stannery? But this game is on all platforms??? :bryan:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
idk, I feel like we've seen various sides of this issue. we've also seen games get bad reviews, which people write off because "the reviewer sucks at the game"

I think the article in the OP raises an interesting question: your company has to review the new Dark Souls. do you give the review to the Dark Souls fanboy, the dude that's never played Dark Souls, or the dude that hates Dark Souls? this isn't always simple either, since fanboys can also be very critical about shyt other people really don't care about. I think the best thing would be a mix of reviews from all these groups

I agree that you should have a number of people scoring the game, not just one. A lot of gaming magazines used to do that.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not sure about you but that big ass t rex looking thing with the fukked up nose popped out within my first few hours and killed me in 1 hit. It's not just weak enemies to start
3+ hours in all I've seen is those little dinosaurs/lizards.

And more importantly the combat isn't challenging in terms of skill or strategy.

Just spam Y and move out of the way periodically.

I wouldn't have a problem with the smaller enemies if they were actually fun/compelling/challenging to fight.

Where? What post? Because your post complained only about the game not clicking.
Don't know how to read brehs :francis:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Compared to other action RPGs the game is lacking. Both in combat and strategy, other action RPGs are much better. Let alone talking about story/presentation.

What I'm saying is, as a person who loves action RPGs(probably my favorite genre) the game is lacking as fukk.

It's like they took the absolute worst trope of action RPGs( "go here kill this many rabbits") and made an entire game out of it, and even then the combat is nowhere near as good as other action RPGs.

Scores are purely hype. A beloved franchise finally comes to consoles, gets great scores.

And I can understand why it got the scores it did on DS. Handheld system, smaller games, with smaller scope, less story/presentation.

Distilling an action RPG down to what monster hunter is, makes sense on a handhelds. But putting the game on consoles and having it go up against other full fledged action RPGs the game absolutely should be held to a different standard than the handheld versions.

Your issue is comparing it to an action RPG. Nobody should go into a MH game thinking it's going to be an action RPG. Sounds like you didn't know what you were in for breh. I played Toukiden and Freedom Wars, I knew what this game was going to be like.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
3+ hours in all I've seen is those little dinosaurs/lizards.

And more importantly the combat isn't challenging in terms of skill or strategy.

Just spam Y and move out of the way periodically.

I wouldn't have a problem with the smaller enemies if they were actually fun/compelling/challenging to fight.

Don't know how to read brehs :francis:

I don't have time to trawl through seven pages of your posts breh. Just like Nier you are complaining about things no one else seems to complain about. Strange huh?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don't have time to trawl through seven pages of your posts breh. Just like Nier you are complaining about things no one else seems to complain about. Strange huh?
Not my fault you let hype guide you and pretend there's no criticism for the games you like.

At this point Nier>>>>>>MHW

But you will pretend both games are perfect cause you like them:camby:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Naw not really. Yes it's an action RPG but to be more specific it's in the Hunting Game genre. Freedom Wars, Ragnarok Odyssey, God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden also fall in that genre