There's A Problem With 'Monster Hunter: World' Review Scores, But Fixing It Is Tough

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
What exactly is "trash" about the combat mechanics? What weapons have you used and mastered? The skill ceiling in this game is huge.
There isn't much in the sense of tactile feedback in using the weapons. You kinda just go in on your moves then move out of the way.

Dark souls is a game that masters this. Every movement is deliberate and significant. In MH I feel like I'm just flailing away.

Secondly and I know this might change going forward(I hope) there isn't much strategy yet. Yeah the different weapons work very differently, but the actual encounters don't force me to strategize or use any one weapon over another.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I dint know about "click". But to say the game and combat suck in a game this big , 3 hours is not even close to enough time. Thats not enough time to even scratch the surface of the combat.

You dont see shyt in this game, or any rpg type game for that matter, in the first 3 hours. :manny:
Lies.

A lot of games especially RPGs start out by giving you a sense of what to expect in high level combat somehow through narrative and giving you some fun/excitement up front.

This game started out by making me run for my life like 30 minutes:beli:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
There isn't much in the sense of tactile feedback in using the weapons. You kinda just go in on your moves then move out of the way.

Dark souls is a game that masters this. Every movement is deliberate and significant. In MH I feel like I'm just flailing away.

Secondly and I know this might change going forward(I hope) there isn't much strategy yet. Yeah the different weapons work very differently, but the actual encounters don't force me to strategize or use any one weapon over another.
that's on you

I'm not gonna say you need to hit the training area or anything, but I will say that the weapon combos and properties are anything but a button mashing mess. If you feel like you are flailing away, then you gotta actually figure out what you're doing out there. Only difference between the opening of Souls and MH in this context is that Souls smacked you in the face immediately and MH gives you a generous cushion and learning curve - and its very obvious and upfront about it as well. That flailing will get you out of 3-4 star quests, but after that you're either getting carried in coop or getting beat into the dirt.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
that's on you

I'm not gonna say you need to hit the training area or anything, but I will say that the weapon combos and properties are anything but a button mashing mess. If you feel like you are flailing away, then you gotta actually figure out what you're doing out there. Only difference between the opening of Souls and MH in this context is that Souls smacked you in the face immediately and MH gives you a generous cushion and learning curve - and its very obvious and upfront about it as well. That flailing will get you out of 3-4 star quests, but after that you're either getting carried in coop or getting beat into the dirt.
Nah man y'all can't keep saying "that's on you" when the game is criticized.

It's not about button mashing or not. It's that when I swing or get hit none of it feels significant.

I mean, I could name a bunch of games both action RPG and just Action that have better combat. And all of those games have something more to offer other than just combat. That's all MH has, so it makes the combats shortcomings stand out even more.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Nah man y'all can't keep saying "that's on you" when the game is criticized.

It's not about button mashing or not. It's that when I swing or get hit none of it feels significant.

I mean, I could name a bunch of games both action RPG and just Action that have better combat. And all of those games have something more to offer other than just combat. That's all MH has, so it makes the combats shortcomings stand out even more.
You're at a point in the game where nothing you swing at has anything significant to hit :beli: Also, anything not in the first few areas will snuff you the fukk out when you get hit. If you're not to a 3-4 star quest, you're in tutorial mode.

And there's definitely massive differences in combo gameplay and just winging it out there. Banging out a few simple combos and building into your weapon's bigger attacks is a night and day difference in gameplay. Also, critics usually fukking suck at playing games anyways lol

I'm still laughing at people saying that Bloodborne was the hardest shyt out

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You're at a point in the game where nothing you swing at has anything significant to hit :beli: Also, anything not in the first few areas will snuff you the fukk out when you get hit. If you're not to a 3-4 star quest, you're in tutorial mode.

And there's definitely massive differences in combo gameplay and just winging it out there. Banging out a few simple combos and building into your weapon's bigger attacks is a night and day difference in gameplay. Also, critics usually fukking suck at playing games anyways lol

I'm still laughing at people saying that Bloodborne was the hardest shyt out
I don't think you are following me, It's hard to put in words what I'm trying to convey.

Some games do a really good job with making the combat feel like you're hitting something. The animations. The reactions from the enemy and your character, the sound, the rumble in the controller, all work together to make it feel good. MH just kinda feels like I'm doing my moves. And like you said working up my combo for bigger attacks, but it never really feels like I'm hitting anything.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I don't think you are following me, It's hard to put in words what I'm trying to convey.

Some games do a really good job with making the combat feel like you're hitting something. The animations. The reactions from the enemy and your character, the sound, the rumble in the controller, all work together to make it feel good. MH just kinda feels like I'm doing my moves. And like you said working up my combo for bigger attacks, but it never really feels like I'm hitting anything.
You still in the tutorial phase :manny: and lets not front like enemies in Souls got knocked into walls after every attack from the player either...

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Just keep in mind that if you don't end up loving this game something is wrong with you. :ufdup:
full