There's A Problem With 'Monster Hunter: World' Review Scores, But Fixing It Is Tough

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Out of these, only one I've played is God Eater, and it's gameplay>>>>MHW

Like i said, the general gameplay loop isn't the problem.

The problem is I'm not having fun within that loop.

Combat is the focus of the game. Combat sucks, and there isn't much else to enjoy.

You might wanna add a "to me" to that breh. The combat is pretty deep here, Each weapon class has whole how-to vids on youtube. Ive seen that opinion literally no where else.

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
If I gotta play a game for 10 hours before it gets "good" then that's bad game design.

Ehhh. Yes and no.

I'll say no because in a game like WoW(or other popular MMO's), the really fun content starts once you hit max level and begin raiding or PVPing. That takes a couple of days of non-stop grinding to level up to whatever max level is right now(if you actually know what you're doing on top of that). That's not bad game design because a lot of people like the grind, and there is enough story content and game mechanics constantly unlocking to keep people engaged even if they don't power to the endgame.

I also say yes because a game like FF XIII suffers from too much linear progression in terms of moving the story forward with a battle system that pretty much coasts on auto-pilot until 28349781293074890 hours and 4 discs later and you finally reach the open-world aspect that FF games have always been known for. THAT was bad game design. Horrid.

As far as MH goes, it's a niche title. I've played it on the 3DS, and have played MH clones on my PS Vita. They're fun for a bit but eventually that wears thin. I will probably cop because I know I can get atleast 100 hours out of it while I own it, but having played the series, it's not one I'm rushing to cop for full retail. Sorry you ain't dig the game breddren.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
should it take longer than that for a game to 'click'?
I dint know about "click". But to say the game and combat suck in a game this big , 3 hours is not even close to enough time. Thats not enough time to even scratch the surface of the combat.

You dont see shyt in this game, or any rpg type game for that matter, in the first 3 hours. :manny:

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I dint know about "click". But to say the game and combat suck in a game this big , 3 hours is not even close to enough time. Thats not enough time to even scratch the surface of the combat.

You dont see shyt in this game, or any rpg type game for that matter, in the first 3 hours. :manny:
I was told this isn't an RPG :troll:

idk, if I play a game for 3 hours, and I'm not feeling it, I might move on to the next game

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina

idk, if I play a game for 3 hours, and I'm not feeling it, I might move on to the next game
I mean, I don't exactly disagree with this - but a lot of games also aren't designed around that premise either.

shyt, Dragon's Dogma is still talked about today for its content and gameplay, but the first third of the game is boring and empty as fukk :dead:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I mean, I don't exactly disagree with this - but a lot of games also aren't designed around that premise either.

shyt, Dragon's Dogma is still talked about today for its content and gameplay, but the first third of the game is boring and empty as fukk :dead:
I guess it depends if you can see potential in the game getting better. but I think I usually know how I feel about a game's core mechanics pretty early on

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
I guess it depends if you can see potential in the game getting better. but I think I usually know how I feel about a game's core mechanics pretty early on
i don't really think that's fair to look at a game like Monster Hunter and say there's no growth potential (through gameplay, enemy diversity, progression, etc) in the game. it pretty much lays out from the start everything you'll be able to do. a skill tree isn't the only form of progression. you can be as creative as you want really. a lot of games won't even attempt to entertain that idea.

that being said, personal bias - MH is not as good as other games in the genre... i just think its getting a raw deal on certain fronts because its not immediately action packed out the gate. i blame reviewers for lacking the vocabulary necessary to differentiate certain elements of the game compared to other action RPGs out there. but we've known reviewers are lazy as fukk chumps who suck at gaming anyways.

if anything the game's issues come to light much later in the game lol. that's always where these games sink or swim.

I almost always solo these games. So when I'm forced into Coop because of bullshyt that's essentially a larger than necessary health pool I start checking out.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps

shyt I've done that too. :manny:

Certain games i go into knowimg its going to take a while longer to get the whole picture though.

My first 3 hours i did one quest and practiced with 2 of the 10 or so weapons for about 2 hours.

Last edited: