There's A Problem With 'Monster Hunter: World' Review Scores, But Fixing It Is Tough

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not everything is gonna be omg from the jump lol, the best books are slowburners. LOTR arguably one of the best example of a fantasy based story, has a slow start and gets good at Part 2.
Again. Slow in terms of story/character/backstory explanation is fine. Because it compels you to keep watching/playing to learn more.

Slow burn in terms of having fun with gameplay, is trash game design.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nah it doesnt take 10 hours to get to a difficult enemy....In the Nintendo versions they can pop up at any given moment, it’s just if they pop up with the weak azz stock weapons/armor you are toast. You won’t be able to ‘hunt’ them until you reach a certain level but they can pop up when you hunting mushrooms or whatever, but being one shotted by a monster that looks like it should fight Godzilla definitely isn’t fun! It’s an RPG for god sake you gotta grind! I thought you were a RPG guy? Regardless my last post wasn’t even about if you liked the game...just the back hand comment that it was easy....
I love RPGs. I love to grind for loot.

The grind here is just not fun.

If it was truly good and challenging combat like Souls that would be all I need to keep coming back.

Combat is all there is at this point and it's not fun or challenging.

And it's easy at this point. I was told it takes about 10 hours before it gets really good and challenging.

That sucks imo. I gotta grind to the fun?:what:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If I've never played the game, there's no way I would know the shyt is how it is. Reading reviews and watching videos only go so far. And when people in reviews and videos are comparing the combat to Dark Souls then what else would I think about the game.

No review is gonna say "well you just grab these knives and go spam the Y button to kill these little punk ass dinosaurs for 10 hours"

And it apparently didn't review poorly with anybody. And that's the damn problem. People keep saying "it's not for everybody" well the damn reviews should reflect that :beli:

Stan behavior.:smh:

You'll know when it's not for you, when you watch gameplay and/or play it yourself. :mjlol:

The reviewers liked it. A review is a writers opinion, it's not objective so they don't need to do any disclaimers.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
If I've never played the game, there's no way I would know the shyt is how it is. Reading reviews and watching videos only go so far. And when people in reviews and videos are comparing the combat to Dark Souls then what else would I think about the game.

No review is gonna say "well you just grab these knives and go spam the Y button to kill these little punk ass dinosaurs for 10 hours"

And it apparently didn't review poorly with anybody. And that's the damn problem. People keep saying "it's not for everybody" well the damn reviews should reflect that :beli:

Stan behavior.:smh:
I mean, the game just came out.
I'm sure there will be some, not so glowingly positive reviews eventually.
I can see your point to an extent, but I still think you could have seen plenty of gameplay videos that would have given you a very good idea of what the game would be like.
Even still, I like plenty of games that didn't review well.
The Order 1886 immediately comes to mind.
If you ask me, that game gets at least an 8 out of 10. I actually think you would like that game a lot too. It has a very good story, and the game play is similar to Gears of War. It's just a very short game so the $60 price tag comes with certain expectations that it didn't fulfill.
I also didn't particularly enjoy some games that reviewed well.
Here's one. Bloodborne. The game seems to get universal acclaim but for me, it just doesn't really do it.
I play games 2 things which I consider equally important: Story and Gameplay.
Bloodborne's story is non-existent. Therefore, going through the same areas and fighting each enemy the same way for the most part over and over doesn't click for me.
You know what game is repetitive as all hell but eventually clicked with me after a few hours in? Persona 5. That game definitely has a slow build up, and a ton of slow spots throughout the game, but the story is interesting, and the gameplay is as well. Every battle feels like a chess match. I like that a lot.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You'll know when it's not for you, when you watch gameplay and/or play it yourself. :mjlol:

The reviewers liked it. A review is a writers opinion, it's not objective so they don't need to do any disclaimers.
I never said reviews needed a disclaimer.

I simply said the reviews of this game would imply a more universal appeal and none of them that I read talked about the obvious shortcomings of the game.

teacher

All Star
Daps
I love RPGs. I love to grind for loot.

The grind here is just not fun.

If it was truly good and challenging combat like Souls that would be all I need to keep coming back.

Combat is all there is at this point and it's not fun or challenging.

And it's easy at this point. I was told it takes about 10 hours before it gets really good and challenging.

That sucks imo. I gotta grind to the fun?:what:

The Fun IMO is crafting new and better weapons/armor combining like armor and weapons yields increased benefits. I haven’t played this version might possibly be more casual then the Nintendo versions :yeshrug: FWIW i don’t care if you like the game, I’m just trying to say it ain’t easy and it does take strategy and it really shouldn’t take 10 hours for it to get good unless you are an explorer extraordinare...like everything YMMV

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You can’t use THOSE games as arguments.....then you gotta listen to @itsyoung!! talk about League of Legends or whatever lame nerdfest PC game
That's fine. I'm not trying to say they are the best or whatever. Not doing the itsyoung.:mjlol:

Dude just tried to claim the only reason I bought this was because there's nothing else to play. That couldn't be further from the truth.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
That's fine. I'm not trying to say they are the best or whatever. Not doing the itsyoung.:mjlol:

Dude just tried to claim the only reason I bought this was because there's nothing else to play. That couldn't be further from the truth.
Fair enough :manny:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You didn't type anything I disagree with. Maybe I didn't make my point clear. Maybe you misunderstood me.
I understand how opinions work, and how value depends on the individual.
What I'm commenting on is the fact that every time someone has a conflicting opinion they are immediately discredited.
That's all.
It depends on the tone of the opinion. There's a "Ehh, I'm not finding this really good" or "I didn't quite like this game as much as others did." They may go into detail and that's that. Those type of conflicting opinions are hard to find.

The ones that run rampant online are the
"LOOOL WHA!!?T? This game is fukking trash :mjlol:. How could you like this shyt? Chapter 8 was a slog, just rampant grinding and shooting gallery galore. I mean, yeah if you love shooting galleries like House of the Dead then go for it but I'm someone with taste. You guys are really defending this? Stan shyt how could you not even say anything bad about that part?!? This game is overrated trash that got high scores because p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶i̶e̶w̶s̶,̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶n̶ ̶r̶e̶v̶i̶e̶w̶e̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶e̶x̶c̶l̶u̶s̶i̶v̶e̶,̶ ̶.. Of course you're a shill you'd love this shyt.