The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
No disrespect, i think you missed it. You're arguing against a point nobody made. No one should open his threads looking for advice. :skip: That's clearly not his agenda. There are other threads for that.

His point is a simple one: no one ever tells you how very difficult it is, full stop. Everybody in here with (excellent) advice on how to grind harder and all that could make themselves more useful by telling us about the difficulties, the moments of self doubt, and how you overcame them.

Thank you !!!!!

:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

Someone fukking gets it ! :blessed:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Job security concerns are why I am moving into the .nix space. After I pick up another router, I am going to set up a few spare PCs I have, run a KVM and learn all I need for Red Hat certs, and go for cloud after that. I was hustling backwards learning it the other way around. Scripting and linux knowledge may get me those niche positions sooner. I already have almost 3 years in IT so my resume padding game is gonna be superb.

Respect breh. I salute and support you :salute:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
nah. not full stop. His point was beyond that. he literally said

"tech industry is a scam".
"tech jobs are booming is a myth"
if you go into tech "forget about having hobbies or a social life"

If you want to say the tech industry can be tough to break into, there's very few people who would argue with that. Once you start saying "tech is a scam", "There's no job growth there", "the jobs aren't booming", "youll have no social life". Now you're just flat out lying and putting off young brehs seeking out promising careers.

Discouraging black people from pursuing a career that has a lot of demand and future job growth is flat out c00n shyt. Especially talking that shyt as someone who has no actual experience in it

Might as well be a scam if there's such a "huge demand" yet more people aren't getting in than those that are, even with experience and met qualifications :yeshrug:

Last edited:

momma

All Star
Daps
Do you have any idea what it's like to be the point of contact for a company wide impacting event? That 6 figure salary you want them to pay you? ...yeah they're hemorrhaging that every few minutes while you're trying to figure out the root cause and how to get the company back to normal operation while your boss is requesting status updates and an ETR every 30 mins because the C-Suite is at his neck. Now you got all these different teams on a conference call trying to figure out who fukked up, and they're gonna be asking you questions that you wont be able to google the answers to. That's where experience comes in. Have you ever worked under that kind of pressure? Do you even want that responsibility? And yeah it may seem like people at the top do a lot less grunt work than the juniors/mid/entry, but when you get to that level companies don't pay you for how much grunt work you're able to do, they pay your for what you know.. it's a security thing.. they have a person or a team of people that can get the company out of a disaster in x amount minutes/hours, vs x amount of days. That's why they pay for experience.. that's what experience gets you.

The other side of it is time/efficiency.. you can pay a lot less for a team of shytty developers that takes twice as long to complete a half baked project or you can pony up the $$ and get it done right and once(a lot of managers are retarded though, especially when that money affects their bonuses. I've see this shyt happen one too many times). Also, people with experience know their worth and are able to turn down what may seem like great paying jobs. That amazon wish list of a job description that you're only trying to pay $150k/yr for.. yeah, good luck with that. You're gonna need another $50k before anyone who's really proficient in half that list even begins to entertain applying for that job. The person who can check all those boxes? They're a rockstar at a FAANG making double/triple that as a base plus stock options and bonuses, and that may seem like a wild number, but the amount of time and sacrifices it took to get to that level.. the compensation in raw $$ is probably still not enough.

But this is very high level stuff you're talking about. In an ecosystem of tech jobs, being a point of contact for a company wide event is like 4 to 5 skip levels from junior and is something you ask of applicants with decades of experience. The OP is posting about entry-level jobs, he hasn't even made a git commit on a functional team yet.

You also seem to be describing situations at smaller companies or startups. The bigger the company, the less and less pressure on the engineer as you decrease in seniority. For a Google gig, chances are the multiple rounds of interviews will be more difficult than what you're asked to do on the job.

I should also note for any sizable organization, if there's a company wide failure or breach (which is very rare), the person at the top who will be held accountable would be the actual director of software engineering, which is an executive level role. If they investigate, it'd be damn near 10 levels down before they reach someone who's actually seen the code.

Last edited:

momma

All Star
Daps
There are absolutely zero hires they are making from ppl with certificates or trainings of any sort. All these high paying jobs are going to early 20 somethings with MIT/Cal/Stanford degrees with at least previous experience working at one or another tech giant. They’re essentially poaching ppl from other companies with ridiculous signing bonuses. I’ll post a pic if I can find of the offers they’ve given
I’m talking 375k+ with massive bonuses and other RSU shyt and incentives

This is only half true. For FAANGs yes, you have to be pretty accomplished and highly talented to not only pass the interviews themselves but also be selected among a very competitive pool of applicants, although they can turn into crapshoots sometimes because you might luck out with an interview or something

But in a tech hub city like NYC, SF, Austin, Seattle, DC etc. there are literally hundreds to thousands of companies hiring for software engineering roles and a lot of them are paying six figures especially if it's in a super expensive city. You don't need to be an accomplished undergrad with impressive credentials to get these jobs - you just need to have connections and/or luck to get the interview in the first place, the algorithm chops and people skills to pass the interview(s), and a resume that demonstrates something to the employer

Some of the posts in this thread make this shyt seem like some mysterious journey to the mountain top. It's really not that complicated or esoteric, and it's not a scam or some gold rush Forex trading type shyt.

You just have to set yourself up for success. Learn as much as you can about development every step of the way and put yourself in uncomfortable situations. Starting early is better but starting late is OK too. All these cliche's are cliche's because they're true.

momma

All Star
Daps
If you want to say the tech industry can be tough to break into, there's very few people who would argue with that.

Understanding of this doesn't just apply to tech, getting your foot in the door for any career is extremely tough, and double that if you're in a big city. Most Americans don't see established careers until they're in late 20's - 30.

(that should lead into a whole nother discussion though about the lunacy of American capitalism / work culture :mjpls:)

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
Job security concerns are why I am moving into the .nix space. After I pick up another router, I am going to set up a few spare PCs I have, run a KVM and learn all I need for Red Hat certs, and go for cloud after that. I was hustling backwards learning it the other way around. Scripting and linux knowledge may get me those niche positions sooner. I already have almost 3 years in IT so my resume padding game is gonna be superb.

I'm glad you didn't get stuck on the Help Desk like I did, I remember when you were just starting your IT journey :salute:

I fukked up too many times and I can't afford any certs. I'm also in crippling debt and no one pays me enough to pay my rent :wow:

So I'm stuck atm. I'm taking some Udemy courses on learning C# in Unity, because, well, I like Video games and creating stories.

I'm taking a job that will kinda pay the rent but the hours are 3:00pm to 11:30pm, so there goes my sleep cycle :wow:

This goes for anyone looking into IT (NOT Software dev, even though as folks have said you can move into another role if you demonstrate you ready) you gotta do your due diligence when looking at your path.

Legit look up those job postings and google search every term they bring up. Set up a Home lab and poke around. Get that entry level IT job to pay the bills and get experience.

But please have at least two plans. Otherwise, you'll be hit with the reality that you didn't work hard enough for X amount of reasons and hate yourself like I do :wow:

Taking care of my mom and NOT taking care of myself is one reason I'm suffering now, take care of yourselves too brehs and brehettes:francis:

If the field isn't for you, please don't take it as a defect of character, it is rough.

I've been around dudes who never had a cert in years, but making $10k more than me because they knew a little more. And lazy as shyt, watching Netflix.

Meanwhile, I'm running around three different buildings trying to fix a phone system AND being stopped in the hallway helping people as a I go.

I'm legit burned out and I hate that I let this happen to me. IT is all I know so, I gotta make the experience count for something.

Apologize for the rant, I'm really going through it right now :mjcry:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Don't be scared now. Y'all 1 starred the thread and made me sound like I'm just lazy and don't want it enough and all that shyt. Where y'all at now doe? :mjgrin:

Facebook ain't the only one doing this either and y'all know it :usure:

Last edited:

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Don't be scared now. Y'all 1 starred the thread and made me sound like I'm just lazy and don't want it enough and all that shyt. Where y'all at now doe? :mjgrin:

Facebook ain't the only one doing this either and y'all know it :usure:
You aint getting no apology breh :unimpressed:
People were getting at you because you were content with doing the ultra bare minimum and then expecting these high paying jobs to come knocking at ya door cause you can make a basic tic-toc app or calculator. :ufdup:
dont get me wrong, I know these cac companies want to get immigrants for cheap and not pay natives, but you were bytching about not getting callbacks when your CV is competing with students in their undergrad.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I'm glad you didn't get stuck on the Help Desk like I did, I remember when you were just starting your IT journey :salute:

I fukked up too many times and I can't afford any certs. I'm also in crippling debt and no one pays me enough to pay my rent :wow:

So I'm stuck atm. I'm taking some Udemy courses on learning C# in Unity, because, well, I like Video games and creating stories.

I'm taking a job that will kinda pay the rent but the hours are 3:00pm to 11:30pm, so there goes my sleep cycle :wow:

This goes for anyone looking into IT (NOT Software dev, even though as folks have said you can move into another role if you demonstrate you ready) you gotta do your due diligence when looking at your path.

Legit look up those job postings and google search every term they bring up. Set up a Home lab and poke around. Get that entry level IT job to pay the bills and get experience.

But please have at least two plans. Otherwise, you'll be hit with the reality that you didn't work hard enough for X amount of reasons and hate yourself like I do :wow:

Taking care of my mom and NOT taking care of myself is one reason I'm suffering now, take care of yourselves too brehs and brehettes:francis:

If the field isn't for you, please don't take it as a defect of character, it is rough.

I've been around dudes who never had a cert in years, but making $10k more than me because they knew a little more. And lazy as shyt, watching Netflix.

Meanwhile, I'm running around three different buildings trying to fix a phone system AND being stopped in the hallway helping people as a I go.

I'm legit burned out and I hate that I let this happen to me. IT is all I know so, I gotta make the experience count for something.

Apologize for the rant, I'm really going through it right now :mjcry:

If you gotta degree, id join the military and try to be an officer breh.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

apologize for what? :heh: you were in here bytching about putting in work (which you didnt) and projecting your failures in the guise of advice against the industry you couldn't break in and telling other black people its a scam. :unimpressed: what part of the article about FB does this apply to you?