The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Makes sense

Like I've said, I actually know many people who found jobs easily

But I've also been told that its very competitive

its very competitive..thats why the grind is what it is..thats why the rewards are what they are breh...if you got the drive..if you like the industry..you can go far

FonzieJr

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Haven't read every post within this thread, but I am typing this after just receiving an offer letter for my first full-time Web Developer position. I've been focused the last year and a half on learning web development, sacrificing socializing, and even pay (scaled back from working as much). And after a lot of hard work, and some luck, and all of God's blessings I've been able to get my foot in the door.

All of those who think this field will be easy to get into, it will not. But if you believe in working hard, and are disciplined you WILL make it in. We are definitely a minority in this field, and let's just work together (networking, motivating each other) to change that!!!

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I have a masters graduate degree and work in tech with actual real world experience yet im the bullshytter to him
:gucci: But isn't that his whole point? That you need more than just a few certs to get in the door? That the propaganda is misleading?

I mean, it's kinda expected that a guy with a masters specific to the field would eat well, right? :gucci:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Makes sense

Like I've said, I actually know many people who found jobs easily

But I've also been told that its very competitive
If anything it's competitive at the bottom. Once you start getting experience and continue building your skill set, the higher you go the less competitive it is because there's not as much talent available.

Like countless brehs have told you, if you willing to put in the work you will eat. Tons of 'started from the bottom' stories in that 1000 page career IT thread in 6 certs forum. Post in there. You can learn a ton of shyt. Brehs will help you out.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
:gucci: But isn't that his whole point? That you need more than just a few certs to get in the door? That the propaganda is misleading?

I mean, it's kinda expected that a guy with a masters specific to the field would eat well, right? :gucci:
You missed it:snoop:

You don't need a masters at all

Breh is saying he has actual real world experience in the industry PLUS a masters

OP has no experience. No nothing but a tic tac toe game to his name, but wants to try to tell people what's real and what's not

Who would you listen to if you really want to k ow how shyt goes ?

Petty Pendergrass

True to self
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The thirst for knowledge
Sorry for the long reply... I lurk, rarely post.

I want to say as a 40-year-old Software Engineer with no previous coding experience that it was not an easy road. Especially as a Black man. I have kids a wife and very little time for myself. I have a degree in electronics engineering but ended up hating what I did. In my 30's I decided I was going to go into IT. That was a hard road to travel. I worked at call-centers, desktop support, etc. I had thought about going for the CCNA but life happened. One thing is, I never gave up on myself. In my final job I was lucky in how I need up here today. While working desktop support I found that we needed some software tools to run more efficiently in our jobs. Really, it makes my job easier. First, it started off small, handed it to a few colleagues(simple PowerShell scripts), then one day one of them said hey have you ever thought about becoming a "coder". I thought to myself Nah... That's gotta be hard but said "screw it" and stated where I was comfortable, PowerShell. I ended up turning those simple scripts into a full-fledged program using nothing but Powershell. I then found another hole to fill and created a tool using some XAML and C#. What helped me along was realizing that C# is an amazing language(To me).

One day my boss came to me said there was a QA position available and maybe I should apply. I didn't really think I would get it but applied. Now, this is where the luck comes in... at least for me. That day the VP of Software Development was in the office and decided to sit in the interview for the QA position. I was nervous as hell. He asks me about the tools I made and wanted to see all of the code. That interview ended up becoming a Quasi code-review, I knew that code inside and out... It wasn't the best but it was MINE. After the interview, he said he was impressed that I was able to do so much with so little. I thanked him then left. At that point, I was happy with whatever and more proud of myself. Weeks go by, my boss pulls into his office... I thought I was not getting the job and was okay with that. I knew I would need more experience. Here's the kicker... My boss says "WTF did you do in your interview?". I told him, then he tells me that they actually want to have me as a Software Engineer and are making room to do so.

I have been now doing this for 3 years. Is it HARD?? Hell yeah, but like everyone says you have to love it. I now have 2 patents under my belt and like most devs know multiple languages. If you learn one, others will follow easier. Was I lucky Yes, but I would have still ended up an Engineer because once I started writing code I saw that I loved it.

I can't speak to the trails of finding a dev job out of school but I feel like you have to tell yourself that it's okay to start from the bottom. That's where you start but not end up if you push yourself and never give up. I can now pay for my daughter's premed and med education and my wife's nursing education. I don't plan on stopping in the field until I have my own company which will employ more of us. With my age, I know there are still potential blocks but fukk it, gotta keep pushing.

If you really want to become an Engineer, look for jobs in IT that have a Development department and see if you can work your way up that way. The benefit is that you will have income coming in while trying to move up. And if their positions don't open up, network with the Devs on their team. There is always a way if you want it.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
You missed it:snoop:

You don't need a masters at all

Breh is saying he has actual real world experience in the industry PLUS a masters

OP has no experience. No nothing but a tic tac toe game to his name, but wants to try to tell people what's real and what's not

Who would you listen to if you really want to k ow how shyt goes ?
No disrespect, i think you missed it. You're arguing against a point nobody made. No one should open his threads looking for advice. :skip: That's clearly not his agenda. There are other threads for that.

His point is a simple one: no one ever tells you how very difficult it is, full stop. Everybody in here with (excellent) advice on how to grind harder and all that could make themselves more useful by telling us about the difficulties, the moments of self doubt, and how you overcame them.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
With any career now and days you got to be willing to move anywhere and go outside your comfort zone and work for small companies or government at the start. Sometimes you got to do a few years in an undesirable location to get your experience up.

I actually came in here to say this and this is pretty much how it goes with any engineering/programming job for 99% of graduates.

I graduated in may and had a job by August and yes I was underpaid. I got experience in VHDL and C/C++, stayed for a year, then bounced.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
I get all that. But if I do all that stuff and am still not really guaranteed work, it's a waste. I'm 30. I don't got time to focus on shyt that won't bring in any money. Only reason I'm not just going back to driving trucks and becoming an owner operator is cuz I know eventually I'll get tired of being on the road (which I kinda am now). Skills are important, it's just a matter of what you choose and the success rate in it.

What state do you live in? Ageism for new devs isn't as big of a deal with software companies in Maryland and virginia since most of the contracts are gov related.

Silicone valley is probably a different story

Hoshi_Toshi

Superstar
Daps
My bro is a front end developer and he got a job right out of college last year. Granted it’s in the middle of nowhere but he’s making good money and the cost of living is low. He didn’t have any experience either. But I’m sure now it’s harder due to COVID. I’ve seen people putting in 300 applications to get 5 calls back and out of those 5 get 1 offer.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
No disrespect, i think you missed it. You're arguing against a point nobody made. No one should open his threads looking for advice. :skip: That's clearly not his agenda. There are other threads for that.

His point is a simple one: no one ever tells you how very difficult it is, full stop. Everybody in here with (excellent) advice on how to grind harder and all that could make themselves more useful by telling us about the difficulties, the moments of self doubt, and how you overcame them.

The IT thread is full of it.
Pretty much the same posters been in there for years. You can literally see the rise.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.

nah. not full stop. His point was beyond that. he literally said

"tech industry is a scam".
"tech jobs are booming is a myth"
if you go into tech "forget about having hobbies or a social life"

If you want to say the tech industry can be tough to break into, there's very few people who would argue with that. Once you start saying "tech is a scam", "There's no job growth there", "the jobs aren't booming", "youll have no social life". Now you're just flat out lying and putting off young brehs seeking out promising careers.

Discouraging black people from pursuing a career that has a lot of demand and future job growth is flat out c00n shyt. Especially talking that shyt as someone who has no actual experience in it

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Job security concerns are why I am moving into the .nix space. After I pick up another router, I am going to set up a few spare PCs I have, run a KVM and learn all I need for Red Hat certs, and go for cloud after that. I was hustling backwards learning it the other way around. Scripting and linux knowledge may get me those niche positions sooner. I already have almost 3 years in IT so my resume padding game is gonna be superb.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I have about three years experience but I remember struggling to find my first SE job out of college. What helped me was a willingness to relocate. If you're willing to move to a mid sized city somewhere in an undesirable location you'll have a lot less competition. And after a year or two you can go back to a more desirable one.

Applied to like 100 places in atlanta and surrounding area and got nothing but received offers from DC, Omaha, and Chicago..
DC and Chicago are undesirable? :dwillhuh: