The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Balla

Superstar
Daps
no not at all
Self learning is a never ending process in tech, so no its not a waste of time.
Even if you’re learning from scratch with no degree?

I know with IT you can get in with certs (which I heard is still harder without a degree) but with programming I mostly heard you get in with a degree or bootcamp sometimes.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
Well this was discouraging :wow:
I mean I already have a few "certs", skilled trades included, but I wanted to add some kind of tech cert to my toolbelt as well. However, upon reading these stories about ageism and inexperience and being a Black man trying to break into the field...I might have to re evaluate my next path/hobby. :huhldup:
Damn I forgot all about ageism and racism.

:wow::wow:

7evens

All Star
Daps
So is self-learning a waste of time or nah?

Self learning is only enough if you have somebody to let you know where you’re lacking and can put you on game in regards to what you need to know to actually land a job.

You’re also going to need a solid portfolio with original projects. if you don’t have a cs background, you’re going to have to show an employer that you can code and the only way to do that is building stuff.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Even if you’re learning from scratch with no degree?

I know with IT you can get in with certs (which I heard is still harder without a degree) but with programming I mostly heard you get in with a degree or bootcamp sometimes.
You can get in without a degree but it will be very hard. Normally people who end up getting in without formal education are those who are talented and have a passion for programming and therefore do it as a hobby. That combination makes it easy to keep learning even when shyt is hard and confusing.

A regular Breh who is just looking at it as another way to make money, might not have the tools it takes to finally break in.

Think about it, if you can present some impressive projects to companies with zero formal training, they will know that u must be talented and therefore will be more open to giving u a chance.

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
:heh: an apology for what? What has changed? you're still too lazy to cut it in the tech industry. It's not for you breh. Let it go. There are several personal stories in this thread of people who started from the bottom and worked their way up. There's a lot of opportunity in the industry. You just aren't cut out for it

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
If you gotta degree, id join the military and try to be an officer breh.

No degree :yeshrug:

But I appreciate the advice.

Doing better though, in a web dev program and im working nights with a wage I can pay my rent with :yeshrug:

Osman

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't read the whole thread but let me throw in my 2c as a software engineer of 5 years:

There are PLENTY of jobs. The key here that most jobs are mid level-senior. Entry level job is indeed hard, but that's the case in almost every industry. Companies for the most part want someone who can more or less hit the ground running and doesn't need to suck up alraedy scarce resources. If you're an entry level with no degree, your competing with grads that just graduated, why would companies give you the chance when there's plenty grads already?I had a Mechanical engineering degree and I was never deluded enough to focus on applying for entry level jobs (I still tried though but never fretted about it).

What you need to do is KEEP PUSHING and keep practising. Keep learning different topics, work on side projects, learn your tools & stack until your JUST good enough (when & how you know is a whole nother topic) so you can apply for regular mid level roles. The best advise I can give that I used MYSELF to get over the hump:

FAKE YOUR RESUME. Put in fake experience to land your first job. That did the trick for me. It was a contract gig that paid $450 a day doing frontend development using Reactjs, that was my FIRST gig. I already knew React a bit, but I delayed my start date by 2 weeks and I did a Pluralsight course learning more about it.

Once you have that first job you'll get a real dose of what the job entails and the software development lifecycle is and you can be comfortable in your next interview as you'll have plenty of anecdotes and experiences to share, and have more material to expand on your bullshyt of course.

That's real game there that you won't hear that on reddit. Fake it till you make it. LITERALLY (but you must work overtime to overcome your bs experience!).

Last edited:

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

A question a guy asked me during the first few days of college.

Him: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Nope.

Him: You don't have one or you don't want one?

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.
Damn that makes me want to get a gf

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
IT is so broad, yet so connected, you can narrow your speciality or branch out a different way altogether. I started on a Computer Science path, but going more down a technical PM or data visualization road. Even those two have various options.

So yeah if you’re trying to follow a direct path, especially as a black person, you can forget it. You definitely have to be persistent and creative.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I didn't read the whole thread but let me throw in my 2c as a software engineer of 5 years:

There are PLENTY of jobs. The key here that most jobs are mid level-senior. Entry level job is indeed hard, but that's the case in almost every industry. Companies for the most part want someone who can more or less hit the ground running and doesn't need to suck up alraedy scarce resources. If you're an entry level with no degree, your competing with grads that just graduated, why would companies give you the chance when there's plenty grads already?I had a Mechanical engineering degree and I was never deluded enough to focus on applying for entry level jobs (I still tried though but never fretted about it).

What you need to do is KEEP PUSHING and keep practising. Keep learning different topics, work on side projects, learn your tools & stack until your JUST good enough (when & how you know is a whole nother topic) so you can apply for regular mid level roles. The best advise I can give that I used MYSELF to get over the hump:

FAKE YOUR RESUME. Put in fake experience to land your first job. That did the trick for me. It was a contract gig that paid $450 a day doing frontend development using Reactjs, that was my FIRST gig. I already knew React a bit, but I delayed my start date by 2 weeks and I did a Pluralsight course learning more about it.

Once you have that first job you'll get a real dose of what the job entails and the software development lifecycle is and you can be comfortable in your next interview as you'll have plenty of anecdotes and experiences to share, and have more material to expand on your bullshyt of course.

That's real game there that you won't hear that on reddit. Fake it till you make it. LITERALLY (but you must work overtime to overcome your bs experience!).

See this is honest advice that brehs need. Salute

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
What's your plan for getting out when you get older though?

It sounds like he ain't built for coding, I know I ain't tryna sit behind a computer:scusthov:

@Dap Fishin

Have you looked into community college? There's a lot of 2 year degrees that pay well. For example, Electronics Engineer Technicians make a median of $65,000. You can have a new career in 2 years

Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technicians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Yeah I been looking at other fields. I might consider. Just gotta do more research

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Ageism is also very much a thing in tech. Unlike trades and other careers where age is somewhat appreciated, if you're pushing 30 to 40 the road is gonna be 10x harder

Imagine being black, over 30, no experience, and looking for a job... :huhldup:

ageism is not only in Tech, it's in marketing too, perhaps even more than tech.
There is alot of ageism in marketing departments, and even genderism.
If you a female better than a male in mktg.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

A question a guy asked me during the first few days of college.

Him: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Nope.

Him: You don't have one or you don't want one?

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.
This is complete and utter horse shyt. It sounds good though.