The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
You aint getting no apology breh :unimpressed:
People were getting at you because you were content with doing the ultra bare minimum and then expecting these high paying jobs to come knocking at ya door cause you can make a basic tic-toc app or calculator. :ufdup:
dont get me wrong, I know these cac companies want to get immigrants for cheap and not pay natives, but you were bytching about not getting callbacks when your CV is competing with students in their undergrad.

apologize for what? :heh: you were in here bytching about putting in work (which you didnt) and projecting your failures in the guise of advice against the industry you couldn't break in and telling other black people its a scam. :unimpressed: what part of the article about FB does this apply to you?

Lies. My point was all the false advertising and promises involved in the industry that lures people in to start coding in the first place. There's super talented people struggling to get in the industry that can do much more then the basics. Y'all won't admit it tho

Shoog Shatmi

All Star
Daps
A few years ago a dude I know got an offer from this company that had a program where, if you scored high enough on their aptitude test and interview, they would train you to code for like 2 months and hire you if you passed. They paid for your room, but not board, while you trained at their school, but you only get paid once you finish and get hired. And you had to work for them for at least a year or else you owed them for training. It sounded borderline sus to me. Anyone ever participated in a program like that?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Lies. My point was all the false advertising and promises involved in the industry that lures people in to start coding in the first place. There's super talented people struggling to get in the industry that can do much more then the basics. Y'all won't admit it tho
Won't admit it? We live the shyt
full
. If you find a post of mine selling the dream about the tech industry, please point it out. I give people who do the bare minimum through school and expect to be handed a job a hard time because I know better and want them to know that when trying to get in, good enough ain't good enough (unless you're white). And if you can't handle the how tough it is now, you just won't be able to make it on the job.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
@Dap Fishin

Not saying you're wrong, but isn't certs still a much quicker path to good money compared to College? How much are you paying towards certs compared to College. We both know your typical Universities are around $12k per semester and a lot of it is bullshyt courses you don't need. Wouldn't someone pursing Certs come out way ahead than a college graduate? How many of those grads are complaining about their student loan debt?

It may be this golden pathway, but it looks much more enticing to low income folks who don't have the time, money, or patience for traditional college.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
/ Thread

Also come join coli skilled trade brehs and get out of that entry level position HELL.

As long as I'm an electrician I will never work an entry-level position again.

What's your plan for getting out when you get older though?
OP you need help. You are yelling at the sky. Why are your credentials? Education, Projects, internships. EVERYTHING is a grind you just gotta do what needs to be done.

If your not willing to put in the work then stop complaining.

It sounds like he ain't built for coding, I know I ain't tryna sit behind a computer:scusthov:

@Dap Fishin

Have you looked into community college? There's a lot of 2 year degrees that pay well. For example, Electronics Engineer Technicians make a median of $65,000. You can have a new career in 2 years

Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technicians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio

there's super talented ppl always trying to break in...youre not one of them :umad:..thats why these stupid threads are here..youre a defeatist who is entitled :gucci:

the above quoted post would hold more weight if it came from someone established in the IT industry..youre not the person

didnt you say you were learning a trade? :unimpressed:

GhettoTeK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
bEast Coast
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

A question a guy asked me during the first few days of college.

Him: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Nope.

Him: You don't have one or you don't want one?

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.
fukking agent @Op

Balla

Superstar
Daps
there's super talented ppl always trying to break in...youre not one of them :umad:..thats why these stupid threads are here..youre a defeatist who is entitled :gucci:

the above quoted post would hold more weight if it came from someone established in the IT industry..youre not the person

didnt you say you were learning a trade? :unimpressed:
So is self-learning a waste of time or nah?

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Well this was discouraging :wow:
I mean I already have a few "certs", skilled trades included, but I wanted to add some kind of tech cert to my toolbelt as well. However, upon reading these stories about ageism and inexperience and being a Black man trying to break into the field...I might have to re evaluate my next path/hobby. :huhldup: