The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

peppe

Superstar
Daps
3 weeks later, done with my education to start working as a system admin and every job response is:

we are looking for someone with more experience. :usure:

Ok let me drop down to first line support jobs and see if I can find a job there:mjgrin:

we are looking for people with at least 2 - 4 years experience :usure:

fukk YOU MEAN, you think someone with 2 - 4 years experience is going to go back to 1ste line support when he should be at least 2nd or 3rd :pacspit:

these companies are looking for experienced slaves that are willing to work for the bare minimum. Imagine applying for the lowest tier IT job and still hear you're not good enough

:francis:

Last edited:

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Man this thread came at the wrong time for me lol, this shyt discouraged the hell out of me lol

Reason why I say that is because today I'm officially going to start my job search for a software testing position,

but I notice you guys are talking about software developing though.

Either way, I'm 30 plus, Black, no experience and hoping at least to find a entry level position.

I've also never had experience with applying for professional jobs either.

In my 20's I was running a company which I recently had to shut down due to FDA action.

But as far as difficulty finding jobs, I'm always hearing conflicting stories.

Some people tell me its easy, some people say its difficult.

I used to be at this one school that taught SDET(D.C, MD, VA area) and they had a high job-finding rate.

Every year, atleast 90% of those people would find jobs quickly.

But what they would do is, they would embellish your resume and give you a false years of experience number
Edit: Didn’t realize this was from October. Advice still stands if you haven’t found a job though.
Just a bit of advice:

1. Cater your resume for every job you apply to. Try to use the same verbiage from the job requisition to give the idea that you fit the position better. All jobs aren’t looking for the same things so make sure your resume is updated to be ideal for THAT job.

2. Have multiple people review your resumes, but only people you know have had success with getting job offers or are in HR or something. Take all that in and make any updates AFTER you’ve heard ALL of their input

3. Be flexible. Sometimes you have to think one or two jobs away. You may not get the exact job today, but it might lead to the next one that you really want, either through the same company or because this job gave you some experience to bulk up your resume.

4. Start looking for a new job the moment you get a job. These companies aren’t loyal so you shouldn’t be either. You never know when the best opportunity will present itself, so always be ready to take advantage, even if you’ve only been somewhere for a month or two.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
3 weeks later, done with my education to start working as a system admin and every job response is:

Ok let me drop down to first line support jobs and see if I can find a job there:mjgrin:

fukk YOU MEAN, you think someone with 2 - 4 years experience is going to go back to 1ste line support when he should be at least 2nd or 3rd :pacspit:

these companies are looking for experienced slaves that are will to work for the bare minimum. Imagine applying for the lowest tier IT job and still hear you're not good enough

Don't forget they don't want any black people in these jobs also.
:mjpls:

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
I wouldn't know :yeshrug:

I've moved on from programming... Not trying to waste my time
How long before you gave up and moved on to other things? I'm thinking about doing the same if no progress is made in the next 6 months to a year, as far as finding a job as a web developer. I have an associate in computer science but decided to go the self taught route the last few years. Had about a handful of interviews but didn't get the job and took a break from frustration. I recently got back into learning and doing projects again but like said before I'm giving myself a time limit if nothing works out in my favor, I'll move on and stop wasting time and resources.

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
I didn't read the whole thread but let me throw in my 2c as a software engineer of 5 years:

There are PLENTY of jobs. The key here that most jobs are mid level-senior. Entry level job is indeed hard, but that's the case in almost every industry. Companies for the most part want someone who can more or less hit the ground running and doesn't need to suck up alraedy scarce resources. If you're an entry level with no degree, your competing with grads that just graduated, why would companies give you the chance when there's plenty grads already?I had a Mechanical engineering degree and I was never deluded enough to focus on applying for entry level jobs (I still tried though but never fretted about it).

What you need to do is KEEP PUSHING and keep practising. Keep learning different topics, work on side projects, learn your tools & stack until your JUST good enough (when & how you know is a whole nother topic) so you can apply for regular mid level roles. The best advise I can give that I used MYSELF to get over the hump:

FAKE YOUR RESUME. Put in fake experience to land your first job. That did the trick for me. It was a contract gig that paid $450 a day doing frontend development using Reactjs, that was my FIRST gig. I already knew React a bit, but I delayed my start date by 2 weeks and I did a Pluralsight course learning more about it.

Once you have that first job you'll get a real dose of what the job entails and the software development lifecycle is and you can be comfortable in your next interview as you'll have plenty of anecdotes and experiences to share, and have more material to expand on your bullshyt of course.

That's real game there that you won't hear that on reddit. Fake it till you make it. LITERALLY (but you must work overtime to overcome your bs experience!).
Gonna try doing this and see how far I get

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
How long before you gave up and moved on to other things? I'm thinking about doing the same if no progress is made in the next 6 months to a year, as far as finding a job as a web developer. I have an associate in computer science but decided to go the self taught route the last few years. Had about a handful of interviews but didn't get the job and took a break from frustration. I recently got back into learning and doing projects again but like said before I'm giving myself a time limit if nothing works out in my favor, I'll move on and stop wasting time and resources.

It's been almost 2 years for me. I kinda just started doing my own thing and started creating and running my own websites and trying to build up enough content and traffic so I can make money off monetization. Websites in general are kinda dead though. Same with apps. The independent route for programmers seems almost impossible. Not only that, but every great idea you come up with is always already taken or been done before. In this industry you're better off working for someone cuz at least that pays. But getting the job is the impossible part.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

these companies are looking for experienced slaves that are willing to work for the bare minimum. Imagine applying for the lowest tier IT job and still hear you're not good enough

Same sh*t in finance and banking. They want someone with 5 years experience but want to pay $55,000. Nikka if I had 5 years experience I wouldn’t be applying to this bullsh*t entry level job.