"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Even when you watch 90s videos west, south, midwest all similar and can tell they kinfolks. Northeast on some odd man out shyt. Them videos ain't have the same vibes.

its impossible for the east coast videos to have the same similar vibes to the west & the south. life itself is completely different.

the Midwest is a mixture of everything. it has characteristics of all the other three coasts. the downside, is they never had their own identity.

Even when you watch 90s videos west, south, midwest all similar and can tell they kinfolks. Northeast on some odd man out shyt. Them videos ain't have the same vibes.

theres two sides to that coin.
and im neutral on this. both parties will be mad at me, but everybody just hear me out.

in fairness, let us not forget that hip-hop started on the east coast. you can never be the odd man out regarding your own creation. if anything, the west, south and SOME of the Midwest would be the actual oddalls, because lets be reality, theyre all spinoffs at the end of the day. so from an east coast perspective, particularly of the elitist variety, I can see why elitists tend to look down other coasts. not saying that I agree with it at all.

on the flipside, elitists & purists are so full of chit. and I feel like the east coast lost its footing in the early-mid '90s because of it. people love to uphold this time period as some sort of holy grail and act as if that's when hip-hop began. and in turn, east coast music lost a lot of elements that previously made it great in the 1st place...……

......….and the other coasts picked up the slack & kept those elements alive thru the '90s to today. not just the party elements, but also the production, the presentation, the mic presence, the chit that blew hip-hop up in the first place. outside of the new jack swing rap in the early '90s and a chosen few in the mid-90s, all of this became absent on the east. and it has been hit-or-miss ever since because half the artists are just lost.

don't get it twisted, I still love some '90s boom bap and the native tongue stuff was overall good too, but the east coast as a whole did a poor job of balancing it out, and they were losing because of it.

im gonna make a spinoff thread out of this:
East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value

Last edited:

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Nah, I want a balance. Vocabulary from a grown man perspective like Nas. Listening to them strip club beats all the time, catering to hoes and white people, is basically throwing away your right to exist.

Then listen to nas and rappers like that and big that up ..

You don’t hear people complain about east coast hip hop just their biasness.

Back in the days majority of white people and old people use to complain about rap.

This is a situation of die a hero or live long enough to Be a villain mentality

Brehs became the very people they complaining about sad

:yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
Westside Atl Perry Homes
These acts were all selling hundreds of thousands of records around the country. They didnt get respect from NY until the end of the 90s....but the REST of the country were on it. The South wasnt the dominant national sound until the mid 2000s.....i can agree with u on that.

But Southern acts were eating and getting props early on.

NY cats were just on some arrogant shyt as always so they got on the train late and eventually got rolled over
That's right bruh. These dumb ass dudes just want listening to southern acts, but everyone you named were selling like a mfer.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That's right bruh. These dumb ass dudes just want listening to southern acts, but everyone you named were selling like a mfer.

all of those acts he listed, had east coast fanbases tho, except UGK, 8ball & MJG.

he listed late '90s/early '00s rappers. the southern golden era, and they actually sold more records back then, as opposed to the force-fed atlanta chit.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
to keep it a buck, and yall know I got love for the south, but the main reason why the south gets so much criticism is because its the region that is the furthest removed from hip-hop culture, with atlanta being the furthest removed of the major rap cities down there, and yet theyre in the driver's seat, driving us str8 off a cliff.

I saw this coming a mile away back in '03 when they were forcing crunk music in as having a way bigger wave than it actually had. I knew we were under attack right then & there.

not to disregard Atlanta's legitimate contributions throughout this tenure, but overall, their run has been the hip-hop equivalent of the brothers who flooded the streets with the CIA's dope back in the day.

yall know darn well most of the stuff theyre putting at the forefront is music that's meant to filtered at the bottom of the barrel, with the best stuff creeping up into the middle.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
why do people keep saying shes not from new York?

like she aint from the northern part of new jersey. that's basically new York.

northern new jersey gets the same new York radio stations and everything. shoot, that's where new York's beloved summer jam is really at every year. not in new York.

Because shes...not..from... new york:gucci:

And no northern new jersey across the hudson river is not "basically new york"

Who are you tell natives whose new york or not:stopitslime: You have to be from the five boroughs period

poundedyam

Banned
Daps
I remember that period from like 2011-2017 which was like the worst years in hip hop history. And guess what. It all sounded southern.
Mumbling,gobidy goop,all sounding the same,every one sounding like ace hood flow carbon copies every song.
It was horrible.
I dont care what anyone says i aint even new york or even from the states but the best hip hop always came from east coast mainly new york. The west coast done their thing as well and made classic music but 95 percent of southern rap was unlistenable garbage with no substance.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
95 percent of southern rap was unlistenable garbage with no substance.

:whoa:

Because shes...not..from... new york:gucci:

And no northern new jersey across the hudson river is not "basically new york"

Who are you tell natives whose new york or not:stopitslime: You have to be from the five boroughs period

I don't care about all that extra chit.

I m not saying shes FROM new York, and I really could care less.

im just saying, a Newark bias is the same as new York bias, as far as other regions are concerned.

you can nitpick the insignificant semantics all you want.

poundedyam

Banned
Daps
Bullshyt

So Goodie Mob, UGK, Outkast, 8Ball n MJG, Trick Daddy, Scarface, Hot Boys, Juvenile werent going gold and platinum consistently

West coast had their peak from 90-95 with NWA, Chronic, Doggy Style n Death Row. They were falling off towards end of the 90s.

I think you are proving rah diggas point fpr her.
Apart from scarface,ugk and outkast most those rappers/groups you listed are fukking garbage

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

:whoa:

I don't care about all that extra chit.

I m not saying shes FROM new York, and I really could care less.

im just saying, a Newark bias is the same as new York bias, as far as other regions are concerned.

you can nitpick the insignificant semantics all you want.
why do people keep saying shes not from new York?

like she aint from the northern part of new jersey. that's basically new York

What semantics are being played this was your opening statement. If shes from new jersey than keep it new jersey. As provincial as new york is we not taking a hit from some broad for jersey. Nobody had to mention nyc in this thread outside of straight dikkriding period

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I think you are proving rah diggas point fpr her.
Apart from scarface,ugk and outkast most those rappers/groups you listed are fukking garbage

its so hilarious and outrageously phoney how UGK has been added to the southern exemption list.

you dudes know darn well yall weren't tryna touch UGK with a 10-foot pole ten years ago. and they were already :flabbynsick: back then.

What semantics are being played this was your opening statement. If shes from new jersey than keep it new jersey. As provincial as new york is we not taking a hit from some broad for jersey.

of course yall not trying to take a hit for her. yall booed jersey artists out the building just the same as if they were from alabama.
bottom line is, she grew up on new York radio stations just like you did, and she probably had a quicker route to summer jam than you.

I understand you don't want to be associated with it, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

of course yall not trying to take a hit for her. yall booed jersey artists out the building just the same as if they were from alabama.
bottom line is, she grew up on new York radio stations just like you did, and she probably had a quicker route to summer jam than you.

I understand you don't want to be associated with it, but it is what it is.

what type of criteria is this:mindblown:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
to keep it a buck, and yall know I got love for the south, but the main reason why the south gets so much criticism is because its the region that is the furthest removed from hip-hop culture, with atlanta being the furthest removed of the major rap cities down there, and yet theyre in the driver's seat, driving us str8 off a cliff.

I saw this coming a mile away back in '03 when they were forcing crunk music in as having a way bigger wave than it actually had. I knew we were under attack right then & there.

not to disregard Atlanta's legitimate contributions throughout this tenure, but overall, their run has been the hip-hop equivalent of the brothers who flooded the streets with the CIA's dope back in the day.

yall know darn well most of the stuff theyre putting at the forefront is music that's meant to filtered at the bottom of the barrel, with the best stuff creeping up into the middle.

Blame the allure of the strip club culture infecting the youth and,non rap followers alike. This is also an easy way for white folks to steal this art form from blacks cause the music is cheap and processed like McDonalds food.