"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
that's based on the opinions of the one doing the judging. we heard the same type of complaints when west coast gangsta rap blew up and the same later with the bad boy jiggy era

no we didn't hear the same type of complaints.

and youre actually proving my point with this video.

hes not saying that NWA flat-out made awful music or weren't talented. hes criticizing their approach & direction!!

there will never be a point where everybody is satisfied with the state of hip-hop. but what we have been seeing for the past decade where the general quality of the music is flat-out looked down upon...…...that's some NEW chit. just like homie said on the previous page.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
If were being real the south saved hip hop.:yeshrug:

the NEW south was pushed so hard in an attempt to water hip-hop down.

and it worked.

Maybe the rap music industry, but it hurt the Hip-Hop culture.

not even the rap industry.

sales dropped drastically.

most of these guys crunk/snap crackle pop/ringtone/jingle rappers really weren't selling like that either.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
One factor that is hardly brought up in regard to The South's rise is the fact that Southern artists don't treat rap as a sport. Down South, rap is treated as music. There was never really competition of who was better than who. So when people talk about lyrics, Southern artists were more so about feeling vs. trying to be lyrical. When cats up North had cyphers and were engaging in battles, Down South rappers were actually in the studio learning how to make beats, mix, and master their own music. While cats up North were making demo tapes and shopping deals to labels. Southern artists already had albums mixed and mastered and were selling them out of the trunks of cars. You could be the greatest lyricist ever and Down South people would be like "give me something I can bump", which is basically "if you don't have an album or mixtape I can bump, I don't care how good you are". That wasn't just on the street level, but even in the industry. The major stations here will not play your songs unless it has some type of traction in the streets. You could be lyrical, but if it didn't connect with the streets or the club, it wasn't going to be big. That birthed a breeding ground for one hit wonders, but it also produced some talented artists as well.

"Get Low" wasn't some force fed radio record. Jon was actually pushing "Play No Games", but "Get Low" was the song that got the club lit and it had a huge response before it caught on with radio.

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
That’s funny..I remember North Carolina nikkax burning the wheels off Ruff Ryders Anthem & Money Cash Hoes...shyt Superthug got crazy burn out there as well

To some North Carolina back in 96-98 wasn't consider a southern part of the region. Hell some don't consider it now, that's why I don't even place J.Cole as a Southern artist, but I'm not mad at those that do

When you say dirty south, North Carolina doesn't come to mind.

I can see that. I can see RR being played heavy there.

RR wasn't getting play down here until Juvie made it cool for ppl to bump Down Bottom. When nikkas found out Juvie would be on that CD, nikkas cop'd the album and started to get on the wave.
At that time, who was the hottest nikkas in the South, Juvie and the Hot Boys

Put it like this:

If a rapper from the East Coast not named Biggie, Mase or Puff, LL, didn't have a Southern artist on their radio single or album, it wasn't getting no play down here at any events in the late 90s. nikkas down here wasn't fukking with Nas until "I ruled the world" came out and that was a lead single and Hate me Now. (which many High school and college marching bands played at football games)

I lived in this era and witnessed shyt live and direct, first hand. I knew/know who and what was getting played down here from across the region.

This is no hate towards you or anybody, but these are facts, we can't rewrite history and some like to do that. Just keeping a 100.

Daps
To some North Carolina back in 96-98 wasn't consider a southern part of the region. Hell some don't consider it now, that's why I don't even place J.Cole as a Southern artist, but I'm not mad at those that do

When you say dirty south, North Carolina doesn't come to mind.

I can see that. I can see RR being played heavy there.

RR wasn't getting play down here until Juvie made it cool for ppl to bump Down Bottom. When nikkas found out Juvie would be on that CD, nikkas cop'd the album and started to get on the wave.
At that time, who was the hottest nikkas in the South, Juvie and the Hot Boys

Put it like this:

If a rapper from the East Coast not named Biggie, Mase or Puff, LL, didn't have a Southern artist on their radio single or album, it wasn't getting no play down here at any events in the late 90s. nikkas down here wasn't fukking with Nas until "I ruled the world" came out and that was a lead single and Hate me Now. (which many High school and college marching bands played at football games)

I lived in this era and witnessed shyt live and direct, first hand. I knew/know who and what was getting played down here from across the region.

This is no hate towards you or anybody, but these are facts, we can't rewrite history and some like to do that. Just keeping a 100.

In your opinion why do you think nikkax down there fukked with Big, Puff, Mase & LL of all people?

NO-BadAzz

Superstar
Daps
In your opinion why do you think nikkax down there fukked with Big, Puff, Mase & LL of all people?

Biggie had "Big Poppa" and had beef with Pac. Pac, southern artist, listeners fukk'd with him heavy along with other rappers on the West Coast, E-40, Cube, B-Legit, Snoop, Warren G etc.
Pac also fukk'd with a lot cats from the South on the low, at the time a lot of Southern rappers were doing shyt on the underground, they were know in our parts of town and would open up for 2pac, even Master P, I think when Pac came to Houston, Pimp C and Bun would open up for him or the Geto Boys, when he would come to New Orleans, Mystikal at the time would open up or it would be a local artist

Southerners had that West Coast connection too, Southerners (again IMO) would listen to a West Coast artist first before listening to an East Coast artist not named Biggie, Mase, LL. Biggie had nice radio singles, shyt Biggie got play here because he was pushed heavy as well, but lowkey his sound had a southern vibe to it. Juicy is a Mtume record, so growing up in the South, you would hear that song being played by your mama, or daddy, or uncle' nem and shyt. Big Poppa, old Isley Brother sample, so again growing up in the south, you'll hear those records being played at old tunk, pity pat, spades parties, cookouts, Saturday morning house cleaning, so that sound gravitated to the Southerner's ears. Now you have Biggie spitting on it, made it more appealing.

Old samples for the most part helped Biggie get play down here IMO. I never heard Party and Bullshyt played down here anywhere.

Mase, same way, old samples, him doing songs with females on the hook, LL was in the 80s, that's when rap was born for the most part, LL had the party cuts, so he got played here because of Rock the Bells, that was the go to party song, I need love, and his early on cuts. Those songs were played by cats here because it set the tone for a dope ass party or dope ass date with your ole lady.