"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Most actual hip hop heads (not the xanax generation) know the art form died.
But it died on the South's watch. :manny:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Blame the allure of the strip club culture infecting the youth and,non rap followers alike. This is also an easy way for white folks to steal this art form from blacks cause the music is cheap and processed like McDonalds food.

its no coincidence that the ridiculous push for crunk music came right on the heels of benzino's failed attempt to wake the hip-hop community up regarding Eminem/interscope.

fast forward to 2018, and hip-hop is whiter than ever, and they don't even bother letting us know who these white rappers are before they crown them anymore. and its hard to call them out when the biggest black hits are "do the hokie pokie" or some ultra-simplistic mumble jumble in autotune.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Most actual hip hop heads (not the xanax generation) know the art form died.
But it died on the South's watch. :manny:

ehh

im not gonna put that on the whole south tho.

just blame Georgia and lil wayne.

For every mumble type songs he gave you 3, 4 lyrical joints

he was never really lyrical.

wayne along with Kanye, mastered the art of making it seem like their bars were way more lyrical than they actually were.

and when you did get a lyrical verse, it was most likely ghostwritten.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
to keep it a buck, and yall know I got love for the south, but the main reason why the south gets so much criticism is because its the region that is the furthest removed from hip-hop culture, with atlanta being the furthest removed of the major rap cities down there, and yet theyre in the driver's seat, driving us str8 off a cliff.

I saw this coming a mile away back in '03 when they were forcing crunk music in as having a way bigger wave than it actually had. I knew we were under attack right then & there.

not to disregard Atlanta's legitimate contributions throughout this tenure, but overall, their run has been the hip-hop equivalent of the brothers who flooded the streets with the CIA's dope back in the day.

yall know darn well most of the stuff theyre putting at the forefront is music that's meant to filtered at the bottom of the barrel, with the best stuff creeping up into the middle
Repped for the bold.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I remember that period from like 2011-2017 which was like the worst years in hip hop history. And guess what. It all sounded southern.
Mumbling,gobidy goop,all sounding the same,every one sounding like ace hood flow carbon copies every song.
It was horrible.
I dont care what anyone says i aint even new york or even from the states but the best hip hop always came from east coast mainly new york. The west coast done their thing as well and made classic music but 95 percent of southern rap was unlistenable garbage with no substance.
I think you are proving rah diggas point fpr her.
Apart from scarface,ugk and outkast most those rappers/groups you listed are fukking garbage
Ur post reeks of a 14 year old who just discovered Rap.

Ole "I listen to real hip hop" ass nikka:mjlol:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Ur post reeks of a 14 year old who just discovered Rap.

Ole "I listen to real hip hop" ass nikka:mjlol:

Yeah, this is straight "I'm in high school but me and my friends know all Big L's lyrics" status...

And just to chime in... I don't feel like The South fukked up hip-hop's sound. I feel like the increasing habit of nikkas bein' unoriginal and dikkriding anything hot is what fukked up hip-hop's sound.

I'm a proud :flabbynsick: because I recall when NYers sounded like NYers, the South sounded like the South, and Cali sounded like Cali... not this shyt where rappers AND listeners just wanted to follow one trend and do one thing at a time. The Southern sound coulda been all its own with no problem, it didn't have to become "THE sound" that nikkas not from there had to emulate just to be "hot".

That's why I respect and enjoy Migos. Because their rap style was/is theirs, so they're leaders... it's just unfortunate that they have so many bitin'-ass followers.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
the point is, of course shes gonna share the common opinion of a biased new Yorker.

im not trying to say shes from new York exactly.
the way we and jersey rock are completely different

would a new yorker/jerseyan speak for philly as well:mindblown:

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia

its impossible for the east coast videos to have the same similar vibes to the west & the south. life itself is completely different.

the Midwest is a mixture of everything. it has characteristics of all the other three coasts. the downside, is they never had their own identity.

theres two sides to that coin.
and im neutral on this. both parties will be mad at me, but everybody just hear me out.

in fairness, let us not forget that hip-hop started on the east coast. you can never be the odd man out regarding your own creation. if anything, the west, south and SOME of the Midwest would be the actual oddalls, because lets be reality, theyre all spinoffs at the end of the day. so from an east coast perspective, particularly of the elitist variety, I can see why elitists tend to look down other coasts. not saying that I agree with it at all.

on the flipside, elitists & purists are so full of chit. and I feel like the east coast lost its footing in the early-mid '90s because of it. people love to uphold this time period as some sort of holy grail and act as if that's when hip-hop began. and in turn, east coast music lost a lot of elements that previously made it great in the 1st place...……

......….and the other coasts picked up the slack & kept those elements alive thru the '90s to today. not just the party elements, but also the production, the presentation, the mic presence, the chit that blew hip-hop up in the first place. outside of the new jack swing rap in the early '90s and a chosen few in the mid-90s, all of this became absent on the east. and it has been hit-or-miss ever since because half the artists are just lost.

don't get it twisted, I still love some '90s boom bap and the native tongue stuff was overall good too, but the east coast as a whole did a poor job of balancing it out, and they were losing because of it.

im gonna make a spinoff thread out of this:
East Coast Lost It's Footing In the Early-Mid '90s Because Of The Lack Of Entertainment Value
I dont mean odd man out in a hip Hop sense. I mean it in an African American cultural sense.

TaxCollector13459

2018 Coli Rookie of the Year
Daps
ehh

im not gonna put that on the whole south tho.

just blame Georgia and lil wayne.

he was never really lyrical.

wayne along with Kanye, mastered the art of making it seem like their bars were way more lyrical than they actually were.

and when you did get a lyrical verse, it was most likely ghostwritten.

Anything to discredit us huh lol

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
i
theres two sides to that coin.
and im neutral on this. both parties will be mad at me, but everybody just hear me out.

in fairness, let us not forget that hip-hop started on the east coast. you can never be the odd man out regarding your own creation. if anything, the west, south and SOME of the Midwest would be the actual oddalls, because lets be reality, theyre all spinoffs at the end of the day. so from an east coast perspective, particularly of the elitist variety, I can see why elitists tend to look down other coasts. not saying that I agree with it at all.

On the contrary, I understand how this could be in theory - and I'm not mad about it.

But here's why it's not that way:

If you're the only one that's different, you're the "oddball" - not everybody else.

New York (or shall I say "tri-state", for that one dude in here acting like we give a damn about the slight difference between NY and Jersey) niccas are the first ones to tell you how "New York" is not like every other city", but then can't see how every other city related to each other more than them. The result was you had like I said earlier Oakland artists connecting with Memphis artists, Chicago artists connecting with New Orleans artists, Florida artists with Atlanta and so on and so on...eventually New York - which has a history of not even fuccing with different Burroughs - was more so the odd man out.

Case in point - iono how many people remember this, but around '96 or '97 when Too $hort came back from retirement the first time (lol), he formed a group The Nation Riders - which eventually became Badwayz. It had him, two other Oakland dudes, a Chicago dude, an Atlanta dude, one from L.A., and one from Detroit. They had more than a few spots on $hort albums, compilations, even that first Lil Jon album. You could tell by accents that they all were from different places, but they all kinda had the same flavor and way. You could tell they were just some 'hood dudes rapping over some bass-heavy trunk-rattling funk beats. And at the time, that's what damn near everybody rapping was doing! The exception was those who, as Pimp C said around the same time,

"fucced their money off trying to be Puff Daddy"

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
New York (or shall I say "tri-state", for that one dude in here acting like we give a damn about the slight difference between NY and Jersey)

:russ:

Case in point - iono how many people remember this, but around '96 or '97 when Too $hort came back from retirement the first time (lol), he formed a group The Nation Riders - which eventually became Badwayz. It had him, two other Oakland dudes, a Chicago dude, an Atlanta dude, one from L.A., and one from Detroit. They had more than a few spots on $hort albums, compilations, even that first Lil Jon album. You could tell by accents that they all were from different places, but they all kinda had the same flavor and way. You could tell they were just some 'hood dudes rapping over some bass-heavy trunk-rattling funk beats. And at the time, that's what damn near everybody rapping was doing! The exception was those who, as Pimp C said around the same time,

"fucced their money off trying to be Puff Daddy"

and on the flipside of that, I like too short but you gotta realize, his raps are too simple, slow & outdated for the east coast.
when he came out, the east coast was already like 10 years removed from what he was doing.
should that really be a knock on the east coast for being too advanced or should it be a knock on those other cities for churning out rappers that are behind the ball?

same with pimp c, who I didn't like at all. dude stayed whining and trying to mask his own short-comings as a coastal issue.
UGK didn't take off because they didn't have that appeal. the south took off in the late '90s, yet 10 years later, he was still using 15 year old arguing points because HIS GROUP never got there.
im not down with retroactively honoring his bullchit just because he passed away.
bun b was pretty dope when he ramped up tho, and he benefited from it.

the way we and jersey rock are completely different

would a new yorker/jerseyan speak for philly as well:mindblown:

I never said rah digga was speaking for new York.

a south jerseyan would easily voice a common philly opinion and be confused as a philly native.

truth be told, most east coast vets share that opinion of the topic. new York, new jersey, philly, etc.

Last edited:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
and on the flipside of that, I like too short but you gotta realize, his raps are too simple, slow & outdated for the east coast.
when he came out, the east coast was already like 10 years removed from what he was doing.
should that really be a knock on the east coast for being too advanced or should it be a knock on those other cities for churning out rappers that are behind the ball?

same with pimp c, who I didn't like at all. dude stayed whining and trying to mask his own short-comings as a coastal issue.
UGK didn't take off because they didn't have that appeal. the south took off in the late '90s, yet 10 years later, he was still using 15 year old arguing points because HIS GROUP never got there.
im not down with retroactively honoring his bullchit just because he passed away.
bun b was pretty dope when he ramped up tho, and he benefited from it.

This is how you feel, and that's fair - and I understand.

But here's the thing - folks outside the East didn't see East artists as "more advanced", just different.
And we while appreciated their difference, we loved artists like Short and Pimp (and Pac) because they could come right out and speak some real chit without trying to walk a line of poetical pretense.

That's why I can't agree with you on $hort. Simple chit is the best chit sometimes. It's never "outdated" to talk about hoes, because hoes are always around doing hoe chit. And that "slow" flow he got was riding them crunk beats.

The fact that you brought up Bun is telling. Yeah, Bun is technically sound as a rapper. But if you ask a person who loves UGK (such as myself), they'll tell you they don't like Bun solo work as much as UGK stuff - or even Pimp solos, because he's not as entertaining. He was the "ice" to Pimp's "fire". Just like Kurupt and Daz, or Yukmouth and Numbskull, etc. Most niccas in the world like rappers who are straight up.

And that wasn't just a bias we had for our artists - that's why we loved DMX, M.O.P., Noreaga, Akinyele and dudes like that.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What's crazy is every region had it's own sound. Very few NYers worked with the South which caused them to band together and represent for their own. Nobody telling NY artists to sign deals where labels make them put out music sounding like the South.

I miss when NY sounded like NY because I was able to envision through the music and lyrics. Same with LA and the Bay. Same with H-Town, Louisiana and everywhere else.

The sound has become streamlined across the board, a lot of southern hip-hop is just easily digestible which is easy to understand in a society constantly on the move. People don't take or have time to break down lyrics like they used to.
This the worst part of contemporary Hip-Hop, the standardization of "Hip-Hop", don't get me wrong there was
and still is a sonic palette which says "This is Hip-Hop" but within that niche artists could carve out their own
sound.

Q-Tip, Dillah, and Pete rock hail from the same school of thought when it comes to music production but they
have their own unique musical identities. This is hard to do in an era where Drumkits are available for download
and "Insert hot producer/rapper" - like beats are a normal way to distribute Hip-Hop production.

With the democratization of music production and the abundance of fast computers we're at a time in Hip-Hop history
where a person has more resources at hand than Marley Marl or Premier or Rick Rubin or J. Dillah or any other
"hardware" based producer in the past but despite that we get this sameness coming from uncreative individuals who
can use google and watch youtube videos.

I mean it's dope that Hip-Hop is as big as it is and can touch so many souls but what good is that
if something as beautiful and diverse as Hip-Hop is drilled down to "Trap Beat tutorial", "How to
paint trap Hi-hats in the piano roll", "How to make beats like *the hottest producer right now*" and so
on and so forth.

Last edited: