"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

Sindicated

Knowledge is the Greatest gift
Daps
Reppin
opus dei
The entire rap game is using some version of the "sticatto flow" to sound more lyrical than they are damn near,and it works. But it glosses over the fact cats aren't saying anything dope,they just sound more technically proficient in terms of flow,and appear more lyrical. Migos actually had dope lyrics unlike the rest of these jokers using some variation of that flow. You are being very disrespectful and probably not even listening to southern rap now,there are as many different styles in the south as there ever were. You want to fault the south because thats where all the media and marketing money is going to now. So unfortunately we have to hear every wack southern rapper with a record thats hot. When NY had the media and marketing dollars we had to hear plenty of wack New York nikkas. Difference is you are trying to paint it as though those one hit wonder ,viral hit southern rappers are the pulse and heart of the south:comeon:. This would be like me saying the Chicken Noodle Soup girl,Tony Yayo,Mr Cheeks were the heart of New York:mjlol:
If we keeping it a buck the south is the most diverse region sonically, ATL rap sounds nothing like Texas, Texas sounds nothing like NOLA, and NOLA sounds nothing like Florida each state has its on swag, own slang and for the most part DONT copy each other.

Sindicated

Daps
Reppin
opus dei
I don't think everything needed to be boom-bap, but the south, with the exception of a few artists/groups, certainly didn't concern themselves with maintaining the standard of 'skilled MCing' set by the east coast. I don't think 'being nice' mean as much in any other part of the country as it did on the east coast.

The south used rap purely as a hustle.

The problem with that is, because of rap's influence, being simple-minded AND ignorant as fukk became cool. Entertainers are trend setters, ESPECIALLY in our community, and especially rappers.

And someone up above hit it on the nail: I've heard soooo many people dismiss rappers with skill. 'We don't give a fukk about that bullshyt!'

I'm proud to say I've never had a friend or even a close associate who didn't appreciate lyricism. I don't think it's a reach to say, there is a connection between that, and every single one of my friends and associates being regarded by the people that know them as highly intelligent.
But is the south to blame for this or is it just ATL?

Sindicated

Daps
Reppin
opus dei
oprah.gif

Neither sounds sonically like eminem. kendrick is more andre 3000 than he is Eminem

:mjlol:

drake and kanye both pull from southern sonics
Lol this nikka really acting like Drake aint dikk ride Houston AND ZRO (ie a singing rapper) when he first came out i can show you videos of Drake performing with Z-ro damn near acting like a lifelong stan yet i cant seem to find a vid with Drake and Jarule:jbhmm: if anything Drake was inspired by Z-ro far more then Ja but ill let them cook with their alternative facts.
:coffee:

Sindicated

Daps
Reppin
opus dei
Right cause Rah Digga is from NJ lmao and how is it coming to bite us if some of the hottest MCs out now are from NYC :mjlol:

This ain’t 2006 or 2010 Atlanta is breaking no charts and half the south hasn’t contributed much to hip hop :mjlol:
My guy your biggest rappers are a former stripper who doesnt write her own music and a rainbow haired mexican who yells nikka 30 times on a track and punked all yall by claiming he run NY n his fanbase is 100% cacs and cactinos thats not something to be proud about breh.
:francis:
Not to mention NY rappers are the ones that sold rap out and helped the commercialization of it by running to labels and making being signed the ultimate goal, on the flipside southern rappers were REAL hustlers and were selling their tapes out their trunks, making mix tape after mixtape to generate buzz stayed indie and created their own labels.

If anything OG southern rappers embodied the spirit of Hip Hop and being a real hustler/boss thats the reason why you rarely see southern OG's out here struggling, clout chasing, and trend hopping to stay relevant, or pay their bills.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Lol this nikka really acting like Drake aint dikk ride Houston AND ZRO (ie a singing rapper) when he first came out i can show you videos of Drake performing with Z-ro damn near acting like a lifelong stan yet i cant seem to find a vid with Drake and Jarule:jbhmm: if anything Drake was inspired by Z-ro far more then Ja but ill let them cook with their alternative facts.
:coffee:

drake has texas and memphis connections through his father, it makes sense that he would be influenced by those regions on the rap tip, sonically speaking

Drake Returns To His Second 'Home,' Memphis

Daps
Breh we were all there. The south was not running hip hop in the early 2000s.

There was balance up until I would say 05 or so

The east coast was doing just fine behind G-Unit, DBlock, Dipset, Fat Joe, State Prop, Fab, Jigga, Kim, Nas & Busta

shyt even Mr Cheeks had his last hit early 00s lol

Things changed once “Get Low” caught on. Atlanta/The South went on a one of kind run that nyc was not able to sustain against. It was so much young talent coming out with hits by the time 06 rolled around they had officially tipped the scale

Jon
Youngbloodz
Trillville
Bone Crusher
David Banner
Lil Flip
Scrappy
TI
Crime Mob
Paul Wall
Mike Jones
Slim Thug

All these guys had songs making national noise

We’re not even considering established acts from the south who were doing their thing or the next wave of guys like Jeezy who were on their way.

It was just wayyyyy too many nikkax coming out making hits and party music. Was there an emphasis on albums? Nope..

Didn’t need to be

Keep in mind NY’s crab in the barrel mentality came back to bite them. I’m from the city and I get it plus don’t mind it but NY used to have this thing where unless you was down with a nikka team you can’t eat with him. Young talent wasn’t finding its way up.

Meanwhile the southern nikkax was pooling resources like Koreans and getting to it. Maybe that shyt wouldn’t have worked for NY but it worked down there.

Daps
Not to discredit your opinion, but I was in that era where Hov and your X and the East Coast nikkas that most on here hold high wasn't getting no radio play down south in these major cities and major events with the exception of Biggie and Mase

nikkas down south was not bumping X, Hov, or any East Coast nikka not named Biggie, Mase, LL, without them having a Southern artist co-sign, Facts.

If so, give me a song by any East Coast nikka, Redman, Method Man or anybody that nikkas down south bumped heavily in their radios?

That’s funny..I remember North Carolina nikkax burning the wheels off Ruff Ryders Anthem & Money Cash Hoes...shyt Superthug got crazy burn out there as well

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
If we keeping it a buck the south is the most diverse region sonically, ATL rap sounds nothing like Texas, Texas sounds nothing like NOLA, and NOLA sounds nothing like Florida each state has its on swag, own slang and for the most part DONT copy each other.

what many people also forget is the south has/had an underground-alt, type hiphop (little brother, j cole etc...) that's not in debt to 808's/rolling hihats etc....

Does the south have any alternative hip hop acts?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Exactly!
I fw Mase but him n Puff bringing in that simple simon easy rhymin super glossy pop rap soumd was one of the 1st edamples of the dumbing down of hiphop

THIS DOESNT FIT THEIR NARRATIVE THO

bad boy didn't dumb anything down.

the knocks on them were over-commercialization & payola.

but they were still spittin.

All those eras were vastly different but dudes were spitting and records were respected. This is some other shyt we in now

THIS
THIS
THIS

exactly...just like now

some dudes were spitting and many weren't. To say that they were respected on the whole is more of a lie than the truth. Shyt....many of the pioneering OG's of the 70's ( see what melle mel thought about run dmc and later, nwa) didn't even respect the route hiphop took from 79 to 86 and then a whole other group who didn't like RUN DMC's hybrid sound, NWA-Ice T and 2 Live's Booty music.

it's just a different stage in the sound just like

NAH.

theres a difference between criticizing the direction or approach, as opposed to having no respect for the quality of the music.

this situation that we've been in for the past 11 or so years is something new to hip-hop.

you can say that about every region.
almost every city has their own signature stuff that theyre known for.

the difference is, the south is the biggest region in the country, especially when it comes to urban cities.
so naturally, theyre gonna have the most cities poppin.

The east coast was doing just fine behind G-Unit, DBlock, Dipset, Fat Joe, State Prop, Fab, Jigga, Kim, Nas & Busta
Things changed once “Get Low” caught on. Atlanta/The South went on a one of kind run that nyc was not able to sustain against. It was so much young talent coming out with hits by the time 06 rolled around they had officially tipped the scale

Jon
Youngbloodz
Trillville
Bone Crusher
David Banner
Lil Flip
Scrappy
TI
Crime Mob
Paul Wall
Mike Jones
Slim Thug

We’re not even considering established acts from the south who were doing their thing or the next wave of guys like Jeezy who were on their way.
It was just wayyyyy too many nikkax coming out making hits and party music. Was there an emphasis on albums? Nope..
Didn’t need to be
Keep in mind NY’s crab in the barrel mentality came back to bite them. I’m from the city and I get it plus don’t mind it but NY used to have this thing where unless you was down with a nikka team you can’t eat with him. Young talent wasn’t finding its way up.
Meanwhile the southern nikkax was pooling resources like Koreans and getting to it. Maybe that shyt wouldn’t have worked for NY but it worked down there.

GREAT POST

the south is the only region that's keeping it moving organically. and with atlanta in particular, they got new stars poppin up everyday even if most of them only last about 15 minutes.:laugh: it doesn't matter because when one of them disappears, two more people pop up. they got like 8 radio stations or something crazy like that, and theyre breaking new records & new artists pretty much daily.

the east coast hasn't done that in ages. the most they do is they give you an interview and a freestyle session on the mix-shows where most casuals aren't really listening. and then youre lucky to get an actual song in rotation in the mix-shows, and you dam sure aren't getting any spins in regular radio rotation.

and then theres the rappers themselves. I don't mind the "you gotta be down with the team" mentality either. in fact, I prefer it over the non-competitive kumbaya stuff. but they lose me when they get to playing politics & blackballing; especially when these radio DJs get involved in it. even worse, are the DJs that aren't involved but still enforce their favoritisms & bias.

the entire south isn't like this tho. that's why atlanta is so far ahead of the rest, even tho theyre not particulary better than any other city.
and then theres citires like Memphis who are way behind because 3-6 mafia set them back 20 years with all the blackballing & sand-bagging they used to do to just about every upcoming Memphis artist that wasn't under their umbrella. whats even worse is that 3-6 mafia wasn't all that big nationally, so the Memphis flagged wasn't even firmly planted that tight to begin with.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
what many people also forget is the south has/had an underground-alt, type hiphop (little brother, j cole etc...) that's not in debt to 808's/rolling hihats etc....

Does the south have any alternative hip hop acts?

Damn near anything that's didn't get a spot on 106 & Park or is MTV Jamz material gets no burn
on The Coli, you know this breh :laugh:

:salute: @ Little Brother. Supastition, Cunnylinguists. All those southern Alternative/Back Pack Cats.

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps

Jon
Youngbloodz
Trillville
Bone Crusher
David Banner
Lil Flip
Scrappy
TI
Crime Mob
Paul Wall
Mike Jones
Slim Thug

Didn’t need to be

Meanwhile the southern nikkax was pooling resources like Koreans and getting to it. Maybe that shyt wouldn’t have worked for NY but it worked down there

This is why PAC lives Cali the bay especially they showed love and showed him the game they weren’t stingy and would allow you to function and eat.

The record labels fukked up Hip Hop

Unfortunately this was a necessary evil for exposure in the beginning.. but they should’ve been got cut off

Daps
bad boy didn't dumb anything down.

the knocks on them were over-commercialization & payola.

but they were still spittin.

THIS
THIS
THIS

NAH.

theres a difference between criticizing the direction or approach, as opposed to having no respect for the quality of the music.

this situation that we've been in for the past 11 or so years is something new to hip-hop.

you can say that about every region.
almost every city has their own signature stuff that theyre known for.

the difference is, the south is the biggest region in the country, especially when it comes to urban cities.
so naturally, theyre gonna have the most cities poppin.

GREAT POST

the south is the only region that's keeping it moving organically. and with atlanta in particular, they got new stars poppin up everyday even if most of them only last about 15 minutes.:laugh: it doesn't matter because when one of them disappears, two more people pop up. they got like 8 radio stations or something crazy like that, and theyre breaking new records & new artists pretty much daily.

the east coast hasn't done that in ages. the most they do is they give you an interview and a freestyle session on the mix-shows where most casuals aren't really listening. and then youre lucky to get an actual song in rotation in the mix-shows, and you dam sure aren't getting any spins in regular radio rotation.

and then theres the rappers themselves. I don't mind the "you gotta be down with the team" mentality either. in fact, I prefer it over the non-competitive kumbaya stuff. but they lose me when they get to playing politics & blackballing; especially when these radio DJs get involved in it. even worse, are the DJs that aren't involved but still enforce their favoritisms & bias.

the entire south isn't like this tho. that's why atlanta is so far ahead of the rest, even tho theyre not particulary better than any other city.
and then theres citires like Memphis who are way behind because 3-6 mafia set them back 20 years with all the blackballing & sand-bagging they used to do to just about every upcoming Memphis artist that wasn't under their umbrella. whats even worse is that 3-6 mafia wasn't all that big nationally, so the Memphis flagged wasn't even firmly planted that tight to begin with.

Atlanta became the true home of Black music at some point along the line. It was just too much. It’s only recently that we’ve gotten a wave of ny acts making national noise. The manner in which one atl act have way to another atl act since 2000 is unbelievable. I’ll try...

TI
Jon
Scrap
Trillville
Youngbloodz
D4L
Franchise
Ciara
Bobby Valentino
DJ unc
Jeezy
Gucci
Flocka
OJ
Travis Porter
Migos
Thug
Rich Homie
Makonnen
Lil Baby

These are all the guys from atl who had a song/songs getting burn in nyc clubs/radio at some point. I honestly feel like I may be missing people

The significance of that? NY has always been notorious for adding other songs which were poppin in other regions late to their rotation. The infrastructure here could not possibly compete.

For every shellz, newz, stack, papoose the city was saying was on the cusp but had to learn how to make a single these atl nikkax was shyttin our melodies and had the proper soundscape to make it work.

Ny nikkax was screaming bring NY back but the 16 states that make up the south were laughing like the tables have turned. I heard nikkax playing bia bia in 01 and it was funny to us. Not because we didn’t like it but it was just so unusual to hear nikkax out here out of their comfort zone. Little did we know

To live through it all was truly something

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Atlanta became the true home of Black music at some point along the line. It was just too much. It’s only recently that we’ve gotten a wave of ny acts making national noise. The manner in which one atl act have way to another atl act since 2000 is unbelievable. I’ll try...

These are all the guys from atl who had a song/songs getting burn in nyc clubs/radio at some point. I honestly feel like I may be missing people

The significance of that? NY has always been notorious for adding other songs which were poppin in other regions late to their rotation. The infrastructure here could not possibly compete.

For every shellz, newz, stack, papoose the city was saying was on the cusp but had to learn how to make a single these atl nikkax was shyttin our melodies and had the proper soundscape to make it work.

Ny nikkax was screaming bring NY back but the 16 states that make up the south were laughing like the tables have turned. I heard nikkax playing bia bia in 01 and it was funny to us. Not because we didn’t like it but it was just so unusual to hear nikkax out here out of their comfort zone. Little did we know

To live through it all was truly something

well, atlanta was already the home of black music overall since the early '90s. their rap scene just wasn't there yet.
they had to wait for new orleans to blow the south up, and then they used their resources to capitalize. and that's whatever but they need to stop lying to the youths and acting like they were the ones that blew the south up.

but yea, atlanta was the #1 place for black music. once they capitalized off of the already popular southern rap market, it was a wrap.
I also feel like a lot of that bullchit was pushed extra hard in order to dumb-down the culture and numb us up for what they had in store in the future. a lot of ulterior motives there. so while I enjoy the way they still have an organic flow chart moving down there, I despise the big picture.

im from the east, but not new York. those guys you listed were just local. not even regional - except stack, who would've been in the same boat as those guys but he was with desert storm & byrd gang.
new York should've put their eggs into dipset's basket. and they had legit hitmakers with hooks and all. not just cam/jones/Juelz. aw man. max b & jr writer should've been huge.
also, with new York being the only ones on the east with outlets, yall should've been reaching out to more cats from other cities and rode their waves while still putting your names over it. rocafella laid the blueprint. and truth be told, NY had dipset & dblock but philly had the overall better lineup from top to bottom, and the fresher styles. the fact that meek millz had to go down south says it all.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

that's based on the opinions of the one doing the judging. we heard the same type of complaints when west coast gangsta rap blew up and the same later with the bad boy jiggy era