"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
This the worst part of contemporary Hip-Hop, the standardization of "Hip-Hop", don't get me wrong there was
and still is a sonic palette which says "This is Hip-Hop" but within that niche artists could carve out their own
sound.

Q-Tip, Dillah, and Pete rock hail from the same school of thought when it comes to music production but they
have their own unique musical identities. This is hard to do in an era where Drumkits are available for download
and "Insert hot producer/rapper" - like beats are a normal way to distribute Hip-Hop production.

With the democratization of music production and the abundance of fast computers we're at a time in Hip-Hop history
where a person has more resources at hand than Marley Marl or Premier or Rick Rubin or J. Dillah or any other
"hardware" based producer in the past but despite that we get this sameness coming from uncreative individuals who
can use google and watch youtube videos.

I mean it's dope that Hip-Hop is as big as it is and can touch so many souls but what good is that
if something as beautiful and diverse as Hip-Hop is drilled down to "Trap Beat tutorial", "How to
paint trap Hi-hats in the piano roll", "How to make beats like *the hottest producer right now*" and so
on and so forth.

THIS

The problem is ppl from all coasts now just copy what's hot. Since the popular sound is Atl trap, every wannabe producer buys the same kits, sounds to try and jump on that wave. Hiphop is completely commodified....ppl just find the quikkest way to cash in. So they copy whats making money, whats trendy.

There used to be regional sounds but now its mostly homogenized....i fw trap but every beat i hear is the same machine gun hi hats n 808s.

Cant blame the south.....blame the folk who chose to waveride for quik $ and blame the managers and labels that enable this

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
no need to point to nore when it was the slick badboy formula (flossing, playa, shiny suit etc..)more than anything that killed east coast hiphop from a mainstream POV

Exactly!

I fw Mase but him n Puff bringing in that simple simon easy rhymin super glossy pop rap soumd was one of the 1st edamples of the dumbing down of hiphop

THIS DOESNT FIT THEIR NARRATIVE THO

poundedyam

Banned
Daps
Who was she running with and
Where was she at mostly ?

:gucci:

Cash money and no limit are some of the most successful labels in hip hop history..
Both based in N.O

Fat joe, French and diddy Vado all went to Miami To ride that Rick Ross, T-pain,Khaled .. plies. ace hood wave .

Houston had a wave 04-07

Memphis has always been innovative it may seem like none of them overtook the nation .. but we have to understand that the Media was biased .. and we know where hip hop media was mainly located at.

We might as well also go with live instruments for beats also since everything in hip hop is robotic and quantized..

:sas2:

And it don’t matter how lyrical you are if you have no musicianship.. sense of rhythm or groove.. if you tryna make people “think”at least make them bop or nod their head

And both produced terrible hip hop music and artists for the most part

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
I don’t think the shiny suit killed it . Sure it got corny after a while and it ran its course so did the while-t loops beat (wasn’t as popular)

I just think us as black people we migrate and discover new sounds and do new things
Harlem is/was (always on some lather tip) like that at one point it was the Mecca for black folks. You can see why other regions took a liking to Harlem artists at one point like Mase, cam, diddy , max b, ASAP mob....

(thinking about this, this makes me believe q the rumors are true that Dave east ain’t really from there )

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Most actual hip hop heads (not the xanax generation) know the art form died.
But it died on the South's watch. :manny:

na...there are like 4 official claims about when hiphop died before the south blew up

1. 1979 when the first official rap records were made

2. after the first golden age(1986 to about 93/94)

3. inbetween/right after gangsta rap and bad boy records blew up to the time of Pac's death (1996)

4. officially in 1997 with the rise of the slick bad boy records formula/jiggy-flossing era

....this is all before the south blew up:sas2:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
na...there are like 4 official claims about when hiphop died before the south blew up

1. 1979 when the first official rap records were made

2. after the first golden age(1986 to about 93/94)

3. inbetween/right after gangsta rap and bad boy records blew up to the time of Pac's death (1996)

4. officially in 1997 with the rise of the slick bad boy records formula/jiggy-flossing era

....this is all before the south blew up:sas2:

All those eras were vastly different but dudes were spitting and records were respected. This is some other shyt we in now

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
All those eras were vastly different

exactly...just like now

but dudes were spitting and records were respected.

some dudes were spitting and many weren't. To say that they were respected on the whole is more of a lie than the truth. Shyt....many of the pioneering OG's of the 70's ( see what melle mel thought about run dmc and later, nwa) didn't even respect the route hiphop took from 79 to 86 and then a whole other group who didn't like RUN DMC's hybrid sound, NWA-Ice T and 2 Live's Booty music.

This is some other shyt we in now

it's just a different stage in the sound just like

run dmc
nwa
g-funk
electro funk-hiphop
miami bass
shiny suit era
etc...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
This is how you feel, and that's fair - and I understand.

But here's the thing - folks outside the East didn't see East artists as "more advanced", just different.
And we while appreciated their difference, we loved artists like Short and Pimp (and Pac) because they could come right out and speak some real chit without trying to walk a line of poetical pretense.

That's why I can't agree with you on $hort. Simple chit is the best chit sometimes. It's never "outdated" to talk about hoes, because hoes are always around doing hoe chit. And that "slow" flow he got was riding them crunk beats.

like I said, I like too short. im just giving you reasons why someone from the east coast or into east coast hip-hop would view too short as a wack rapper.
what too short came out doing, was very much behind the times. same with a lot of the original '80s west coast rappers.

and no, im not saying EVERYBODY outside of the east was outdated. I was specifically talking about too short & pimp c.

and by outdated, im not just talking about simple. you can be simple but effective. I have 2pac listed as the goat artist, by the way.
and to place pac in the same bubble as too short & pimp c is disrespectful to pac. come on now. and I like too short, btw.

youre coming off like you know exactly what im talking about deep down, but don't want to come to grips wit it.

The fact that you brought up Bun is telling. Yeah, Bun is technically sound as a rapper. But if you ask a person who loves UGK (such as myself), they'll tell you they don't like Bun solo work as much as UGK stuff - or even Pimp solos, because he's not as entertaining. He was the "ice" to Pimp's "fire". Just like Kurupt and Daz, or Yukmouth and Numbskull, etc. Most niccas in the world like rappers who are straight up.

And that wasn't just a bias we had for our artists - that's why we loved DMX, M.O.P., Noreaga, Akinyele and dudes like that.

I TOTALLY AGREE. and im sure you know im the main poster on here always talking about the importance of groups. especially the jeckyll & hyde type of duos that bring two completely different styles & approaches to the table.

yea, bun b himself said that his music isn't the same when hes on his own and doesn't have pimp in his ear,
and while I viewed pimp c as an awful emcee and a clown off-wax, I respect him as an artist.
they were a perfect match, and "super tight" is a classic.

and yea, im always saying the same thing about kurupt & daz, which is an even better combo. im always the main one on here giving Daz his props for what he brought to the table on the mic. and im also on record saying that the dogg pound could've possibly been the goat duo if they cut a couple more albums in the '90s. and yea, the luniz are another one.

I think my previous post got you confusing me with somebody else. Im just the messenger breh. I didn't give you any personal opinions in that previous post. also note, I really do this. I lived in the east AND the south.

Last edited: