"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
And trap sounds didn't touch UK until after the jump in the US breh, re-read my post as I figured I needed to clarify that without it seeming like I was popping off

southern hiphop sonics in general reached the UK going back to the late 90's prior to modern trap is the point Im getting at

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Even when you watch 90s videos west, south, midwest all similar and can tell they kinfolks. Northeast on some odd man out shyt. Them videos ain't have the same vibes.

You buggin big time cuz. How old you is?

As far as who started before unless he talking about jay- z background vocals for jaz-o or BDK ..

And even then I’m sure P was in Richmond in the mix soaking in game himself.

Lol yea juvenile is the reason why cash money got that big lucrative universal deal ( with the huge assistance of Wendy Day)

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
..switch ya style up go south-paw

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

A lot of NY artists embrace it, those stuck stayed salty

Rah Digga is from NJ

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Never heard any of them whining. But that’s because we’ve always been down with the West and Midwest. It was NY that had the problem with everybody else and now it’s come back to bite em in the ass

Right cause Rah Digga is from NJ lmao and how is it coming to bite us if some of the hottest MCs out now are from NYC :mjlol:

This ain’t 2006 or 2010 Atlanta is breaking no charts and half the south hasn’t contributed much to hip hop :mjlol:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
the souths production sound is basically the best thing about hiphop these last few years. NY hasn't had a good batch of producers come out since the fukking justblaze/heatmakers era. NY has no one to blame but NY. NY became irrelevant because it is now a culturally stagnant generic gentrified cosmopolitan city.

What does NYC have to do with an NJ artist opinion :mjlol:

And NYC has many talent on the charts currently :mjlol:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Lol we need to stop with this “southern” nonsense. First of all the only city in the south that was giving nyc issues was Atlanta. Never did Miami, New Orleans, Houston or Memphis ever threaten NYC in music :mjlol:

And I’m convinced that southern dudes are slow as hell. 15 pages in a thread and we having a NYC vs South argument over a NJ residents opinion on hip hop. Lmao.

I would have respected the posters on here if they had just said up north. Lol

It’s probably NYC fault that Philly rapper Cassidy thinks hip hop is trash also :mjlol:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
These southern dudes will talk shyt about nyc hip hop even though nyc hip hop is doing good currently but will talk highly of a bum trash rapper like Ralo :mjlol:

:russ:

Dude sounds like a dog with a stomach ache!

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I don't think everything needed to be boom-bap, but the south, with the exception of a few artists/groups, certainly didn't concern themselves with maintaining the standard of 'skilled MCing' set by the east coast. I don't think 'being nice' mean as much in any other part of the country as it did on the east coast.

The south used rap purely as a hustle.

The problem with that is, because of rap's influence, being simple-minded AND ignorant as fukk became cool. Entertainers are trend setters, ESPECIALLY in our community, and especially rappers.

And someone up above hit it on the nail: I've heard soooo many people dismiss rappers with skill. 'We don't give a fukk about that bullshyt!'

I'm proud to say I've never had a friend or even a close associate who didn't appreciate lyricism. I don't think it's a reach to say, there is a connection between that, and every single one of my friends and associates being regarded by the people that know them as highly intelligent.

Cant ignore the facts, people. Making the lowest common denominator music do a hustle, instead of an art form, b*stardized rap as a whole.

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Rah Digga is from NJ

Who was she running with and
Where was she at mostly ?

Lol we need to stop with this “southern” nonsense. First of all the only city in the south that was giving nyc issues was Atlanta. Never did Miami, New Orleans, Houston or Memphis ever threaten NYC in music :mjlol:

And I’m convinced that southern dudes are slow as hell. 15 pages in a thread and we having a NYC vs South argument over a NJ residents opinion on hip hop. Lmao.

It’s probably NYC fault that Philly rapper Cassidy thinks hip hop is trash also :mjlol:

:gucci:

Cash money and no limit are some of the most successful labels in hip hop history..
Both based in N.O

Fat joe, French and diddy Vado all went to Miami To ride that Rick Ross, T-pain,Khaled .. plies. ace hood wave .

Houston had a wave 04-07

Memphis has always been innovative it may seem like none of them overtook the nation .. but we have to understand that the Media was biased .. and we know where hip hop media was mainly located at.

Cant ignore the facts, people. Making the lowest common denominator music do a hustle, instead of an art form, b*stardized rap as a whole.

We might as well also go with live instruments for beats also since everything in hip hop is robotic and quantized..

:sas2:

And it don’t matter how lyrical you are if you have no musicianship.. sense of rhythm or groove.. if you tryna make people “think”at least make them bop or nod their head

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Who was she running with and
Where was she at mostly ?

:gucci:

Cash money and no limit are some of the most successful labels in hip hop history..
Both based in N.O

Fat joe, French and diddy Vado all went to Miami To ride that Rick Ross, T-pain,Khaled .. plies. ace hood wave .

Houston had a wave 04-07

Memphis has always been innovative it may seem like none of them overtook the nation .. but we have to understand that the Media was biased .. and we know where hip hop media was mainly located at.

We might as well also go with live instruments for beats also since everything in hip hop is robotic and quantized..

:sas2:

And it don’t matter how lyrical you are if you have no musicianship.. sense of rhythm or groove.. if you tryna make people “think”at least make them bop or nod their head

Nah, I want a balance. Vocabulary from a grown man perspective like Nas. Listening to them strip club beats all the time, catering to hoes and white people, is basically throwing away your right to exist.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
why do people keep saying shes not from new York?

like she aint from the northern part of new jersey. that's basically new York.

northern new jersey gets the same new York radio stations and everything. shoot, that's where new York's beloved summer jam is really at every year. not in new York.

you mustve forgot that new orleans is the city that blew the south up in the first place, and has the legendary crews that people still dwell on 20 years later.

atlanta doesn't threaten anybody musically. their industry footing is the real threat, and they established that in the early '90s. once they started pumping out rap hits on the daily in the '00s, it was a wrap. but musically, the vast majority of their stuff is disposable and easily forgotten.

and Miami got NEXT. whether the quality of the music is good or bad, remains to be seen, but that's the next big industry capital. give it 2 more years. theyre setting up shop as we speak.

Last edited:

3rd Ward Swangin

Superstar
Daps

I think y'all slow, don't say southern of you mean only Atlanta:martin: