The show “Dave” on FX is the latest example of how black culture is treated like a joke

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hip hop as a culture is to be respected. But lets be real here. I'm a black man with kids who grew up in hip hop culture. Truth is the vast majority of mainstream rap is trash in terms of the subject matter. You have some folks that are being really creative and a few that are talking about real life but the game is a whole lotta young dudes talking money, hoes, clothes, drugs and guns. Can't be mad at white dudes getting paid off it when there's no heart to most of this stuff anyway.

I hate when people literally mention about how some rappers rap about guns, drugs and etc not understand that its art based off of reality whether it's spoken in the first, second or third person but have no problem with the news which basically does this all the time and TV shows and movies whether it be fact or fiction. I also think many rap fans make the big mistake of not understanding that the music is art and to get the fundamental message from it. Not to actually follow the lyrics or what's being promoted word for word. Also to understand that the rapper is an artist and that their artistry although which may be a reflection of their or someone elses past or present lives, backgrounds, environments, experiences, and etc is just that-art. It's a important rule of thumb to separate the art from reality and that the art and the artist doesn't reflect the person or the personal life of the person that created it. I wouldnt expect and would hope the person behind the artist or persona they are portraying wouldnt be living their art for real if it's going to hurt people. I would expect them to be armed or have security which is understandable since theres so many warped minds out here.

If it were a bunch of white people doing the same shyt, would rap music receive the same scrutiny that it has always received? We both know the answer to that.

Last edited:

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
lol you really want some attention.

you don't even have the intellect to comprehend what i'm talking about.

please stop interacting with me on this forum. you on my dikk wild hard. your neg will be coming shortly. :mjlol:
You are a habitual c00n stepper breh

GreenGhxst

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
FBA hairline
the main people who respect and honor public enemy, wu tang, doom and other extremely important groups/people are non black people.

let's keep it a buck. im 26 and nikkas my age are not checking for lyrical rap or anything with a message.

nah I disagree, all the nikkas I'm around (24-28) dig Dom Kennedy, Curren$y, Larry June, Lil Wayne, Drake

rappers like Roddy Rich and No Cap are lyrical in their own way

it's different vibes for different spots too, lyrical rap definitely has its place though

it just has to have a vibe to it outside of that boring ass boom bap

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i'm not even sure why snoop did it.

I like snoop’s music and always have for years dating back to the ‘poetic justice’ soundtrack...but if I’m being honest w/ myself snoop been on some c00n shyt for a hot minute

I’m also a bit hypocritical too when it comes to the ‘dave’ show...said it in the dedicated thread last nite that I absolutely don’t respect his music or him downplaying the privilege being white affords him in the rap game...but the show itself is still highly entertaining for the most part

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
I like snoop’s music and always have for years dating back to the ‘poetic justice’ soundtrack...but if I’m being honest w/ myself snoop been on some c00n shyt for a hot minute

I’m also a bit hypocritical too when it comes to the ‘dave’ show...said it in the dedicated thread last nite that I absolutely don’t respect his music or him downplaying the privilege being white affords him in the rap game...but the show itself is still highly entertaining for the most part

i agree, most entertainers are c00ns because they use our culture to cater to cacs, because it's the cacs consuming everything.

i don't have cable so i don't watch any of it, but i get it. being black in america is a hypocritical position to be in.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I hate when people literally mention about how some rappers rap about guns, drugs and etc not understand that its art based off of reality whether it's spoken in the first, second or third person but have no problem with the news which basically does this all the time and TV shows and movies whether it be fact or fiction. I also think many rap fans make the big mistake of not understanding that the music is art and to get the fundamental message from it. Not to actually follow the lyrics or what's being promoted word for word. Also to understand that the rapper is an artist and that their artistry although which may be a reflection of their or someone elses past or present lives, backgrounds, environments, experiences, and etc is just that-art. It's a important rule of thumb to separate the art from reality and that the art and the artist doesn't reflect the person or the personal life of the person that created it. I wouldnt expect and would hope the person behind the artist or persona they are portraying wouldnt be living their art for real if it's going to hurt people. I would expect them to be armed or have security which is understandable since theres so many warped minds out here.

If it were a bunch of white people doing the same shyt, would rap music receive the same scrutiny that it has always received? We both know the answer to that.
Here's the problem, We've seen plenty of rappers rap about drugs, alcohol, guns and come to find out it wasn't their reality. It's clear that they stripped rap of its true essence, and made it into simplistic bullshyt.