Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
24. Philadelphia 76ers (via Heat)
i

Dejounte Murray
Washington
Freshman
Guard

i

Dejounte Murray might have as much upside as any point guard in the draft after Jamal Murray and Dunn are off the board. He has great size, toughness and a knack for seeing the floor. He also can be wild, and his jump shot is erratic.

Murray has bust potential, but he also carries some of the ingredients to be a star at the next level if he develops. That's exactly the type of player the Sixers need to find right now.

Video: Prospect breakdown
watch_headlines.png

25. Los Angeles Clippers
19991.jpg

Demetrius Jackson
Notre Dame
Junior
Guard

i

The Clippers found some success with Austin Rivers running the point, but they really need a full-time backup for Chris Paul.

Jackson is the perfect player for that role. He is an athletic player who can defend, rarely makes mistakes on the court and is also a great locker room guy.

watch_headlines.png

26. Philadelphia 76ers (via Thunder)
20333.jpg

Patrick McCaw
UNLV
Sophomore
Guard

i

The 76ers need wings, and after McCaw's performance last Friday at the combine, I think he has a shot at going here.

He's not only a good athlete who can defend multiple positions, but he's also a terrific passer and an emerging shooter.

27. Toronto Raptors
20255.jpg

Cheick Diallo
Kansas
Freshman
Forward

i

Diallo didn't really do much at Kansas this past season, but that won't stop a team like the Raptors from grabbing him, especially after his strong play at the combine.

He is tough and athletic, and he might have the best motor in the draft. He's very, very raw. But had he stayed in school another year, he probably would have been a lottery pick in 2017. That makes him a good value here.

28. Phoenix Suns (via Cavaliers)
Juan Hernangomez
Spain
Forward

i

The Suns have three picks in this draft. They won't want to keep all three in the NBA next season.

Hernangomez is intriguing as a stretch-4 who played significant minutes in the ACB this year. The Suns can stash him for a year, and he ultimately could really help them down the road. Big guys with solid athleticism and shooting ability don't come along every day.

29. San Antonio Spurs
20199.jpg

Chinanu Onuaku
Louisville
Sophomore
Center

i

The Spurs got killed in the paint against the Thunder in the playoffs and will certainly be looking for some big men to help in the long term.

Onuaku might be raw offensively, but he could bring a lot of the same toughness the Spurs saw in the Thunder's Steven Adams. Onuaku is a good rebounder and shot-blocker who plays with great toughness.

30. Golden State Warriors
20352.jpg

Ben Bentil
Providence
Sophomore
Forward

i

Bentil is the type of power forward the Warriors will love. He's not afraid to let it fly. He can score in the paint and from beyond the arc. He's hungry for points and plays hard.

He could be a nice long-term replacement for Marreese Speights, who is a free agent this summer.

watch_headlines.png

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The Seminoles lead FPI's top projected offenses for 2016

With five of the top seven vote-getters in last year's Heisman voting returning, there is no shortage of offensive talent in the upcoming college football season. But which offensive unit, with a Heisman vote-getter or not, will be best in 2016?

Using ESPN's Football Power Index -- which is broken down into predicted offense, defense and special-teams components -- we can project the top offenses heading into the season. A detailed explanation of what goes into the predictions and why can be found here, but in short, past offensive efficiencies and the number of returning starters (with special consideration given to quarterbacks) are the biggest drivers.

It's important to note that FPI is not projecting yards or points; it's projecting a team's expected points added (EPA) per game. Unlike yards, which treat all situations equally, the teams with the highest offensive EPA per game will be efficient units that convert yards to points, avoid turnovers and control field position. The number associated with EPA per game below refers to the points per game an offense is expected to contribute against an average defense to the team's net scoring margin, with an average offense expected to contribute zero net points.

Let's run through the list.

1. Florida State Seminoles
i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-15.6

Returning starters: 11 (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 22nd

Florida State returns all 11 offensive starters to a unit that has ranked in the top 25 in efficiency each of the last four years. Dalvin Cook is the most explosive running back in the nation; he led the FBS with 22 rushes of 20-plus yards in 2015. The receiving corps is deep, with second-team All-ACC selections Travis Rudolph and Kermit Whitfield returning. Adding to their depth, the Seminoles have signed a top-three recruiting class in each of the last three seasons. The only outstanding question is whether QB Sean Maguire, who sat out the spring recovering from a broken ankle, can hold off redshirt freshman Deondre Francois for the starting spot and perform at a level needed for the Seminoles to return to the College Football Playoff.

2. Clemson Tigers

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-14.4

Returning starters: Eight (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: Ninth

With consensus All-American QB Deshaun Watson back for his junior year, the Tigers are poised for another productive offensive campaign. Watson, the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy, had the second-highest Total QBR in the FBS last season (87.8) and was a model of consistency, with a QBR above 70 in every game. With three All-ACC selections returning -- RB Wayne Gallman, WR Artavis Scott and TE Jordan Leggett -- Watson will have plenty of help at the skill positions. Wide receiver Mike Williams, who missed most of last season with a neck injury, also returns and could take Clemson's offense to new heights because of his ability to stretch the field (he led the ACC in 20-yard receptions in 2014). If Clemson can fill the holes left on its offensive line, its 2016 offense may be even more dominant than last season's.

3. Oklahoma Sooners

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-12.8

Returning starters: Seven (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 12th

After its loss to Texas on Oct. 10 last season, Oklahoma was the third-most efficient offense in the nation. During that time, QB Baker Mayfield ranked sixth in Total QBR and the Sooners led the nation in yards per rush (excluding sacks). With running backs Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon, who rushed for a combined 2,102 yards and 23 touchdowns, returning this season, the Sooners should again have one of the most dynamic rushing attacks in the FBS. Oklahoma has to replace the heart and soul of its offense, wide receiver Sterling Shepard, along with a few key offensive linemen, but the Sooners have a deep bench to fill those spots. Look for wide receivers Dede Westbrook and Geno Lewis, a transfer from Penn State, to emerge as Oklahoma looks to return to the College Football Playoff.

4. Oklahoma State Cowboys

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-12.7

Returning starters: 10 (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 21st

Oklahoma State lost its final three games of 2015, so it's easy to forget that the Cowboys began the year 10-0 and were in the thick of the College Football Playoff discussion. They return 10 starters, including QB Mason Rudolph, to an offense that ranked fourth in the Big 12 in efficiency. James Washington, who averaged 20.5 yards per reception in 2015, again should be one of the most explosive receivers in the Big 12, and Marcell Ateman is expected to be a strong No. 2 option. Additionally, the Pokes return all five starting offensive linemen to a unit that ranked third in the Big 12 in pressure percentage allowed.

5. LSU Tigers

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-11.8

Returning starters: Eight (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 17th

Given LSU's recent deficiencies at quarterback, it may be surprising to see that the Tigers are projected to have the top offense in the SEC in 2016. Then again, LSU returns the most powerful running back in the nation, Leonard Fournette, and a boatload of untapped talent at wide receiver. LSU will need to improve its passing game to rank among the top offenses in the country, but QB Brandon Harris showed signs of development this spring, which could allow offensive coordinator Cam Cameron to open up the playbook. The Tigers led the SEC in rush EPA per game in 2015, so they may simply be a quarterback away from the College Football Playoff.

6. Baylor Bears

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-11.5

Returning starters: Five (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 10th

In the Russell Athletic Bowl against North Carolina, Baylor was missing its top two quarterbacks, its leading receiver and its top rusher, but still managed to gain 756 total yards and post a 94 offensive efficiency rating (out of 100). That's a testament to the offensive machine Art Briles has built in Waco. After ranking third in rush EPA per game in 2015, Baylor again should boast one of the top rushing attacks in the FBS with Shock Linwood, Johnny Jefferson and Devin Chafin all returning. The main reason the Bears enter the season outside the top five in the projections is that they lost six starters, including four on the offensive line. Briles has been tasked with filling much larger holes in seasons past, so don't be surprised if the Bears end the season ranked in the top four in efficiency for the fifth time in six years.

7. Tennessee Volunteers
i
>

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-11.4

Returning starters: Nine (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 18th

Tennessee returns an SEC-high nine offensive starters, including QB Joshua Dobbs, running back Jalen Hurd and four offensive line starters. The Vols again should have one of the top rushing games in the SEC, but for them to take the next step, Dobbs must become a more efficient passer (25th in QBR on passing plays) and a receiver must emerge as a true No. 1 option. Tennessee was a few quarters away from a magnificent season in 2015, so expectations are high on Rocky Top. With the experience and talent returning, there is no reason why coach Butch Jones and the Vols shouldn't lead the SEC in a number of key offensive categories in 2016.

8. USC Trojans

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-11.2

Returning starters: 10 (No QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: 19th

Every offensive starter except QB Cody Kessler returns for USC in 2016. Although the Trojans have yet to name a starting quarterback, Max Browne appears to be the favorite. Whoever is under center will have a ton of speed and talent to work with. JuJu Smith-Schuster is the top wide receiver on Mel Kiper's 2017 Big Board, and the running back duo of Justin Davis and Ronald Jones II, who combined for 1,889 rush yards in 2015, could be the top tandem in the Pac-12. USC is set to play the toughest schedule in the nation, according to ESPN's FPI, and the offense won't have a lot of time to settle in since Alabama looms in Week 1. Ultimately, USC's offensive success depends on its quarterback's development, but the Trojans have the experience and depth elsewhere to be among the top offenses in the nation.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-10.4

Returning starters: Six (including QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: Fifth

Lost in Texas Tech's 2015 defensive struggles was one of the most efficient and productive offenses in the nation. The Red Raiders' fast-paced offense put up gaudy raw numbers and ranked in the top eight in efficiency, points per drive and yards per play in 2015. QB Patrick Mahomes returns after leading the nation in total offense per game (393 yards) and ranking 12th in Total QBR in his first full season as a starter. Despite losing many of Texas Tech's top playmakers, Mahomes should still find plenty of receiver options with No. 1-rated juco transfer WR Derrick Willies headed to Lubbock. Questions remain on the offensive line and at running back, but Mahomes' playmaking should be enough to keep Texas Tech near the top of most offensive efficiency categories in 2016.

10. North Carolina Tar Heels

i

Predicted offensive EPA per game: plus-10.3

Returning starters: Seven (No QB)

2015 offensive efficiency rank: Seventh

Despite losing QB Marquise Williams, North Carolina is expected to remain among the nation's top 10 offenses in 2016. Mitch Trubisky was named UNC's starter for 2016, and although no one expects him to sustain his success in limited action last season (85.1 completion percentage, 93.3 QBR), he is in his fourth year in the system, which should create as seamless a transition as possible. Running back Elijah Hood, who ran for 1,463 yards last season, is back, along with four of the team's top five wide receivers from 2015, so Trubisky will have plenty of talent to work with.

Next 10: Oregon, Georgia, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, Arizona, Michigan, Western Kentucky, Miami, Louisville, Nebraska

These rankings are based purely on statistical projections that account for previous years' efficiencies (most recent year counting most), returning starters (special consideration given to a team returning its quarterback or adding a graduate transfer quarterback), four-year average recruiting rankings (using Scouts, Rivals, Phil Steele, ESPN) and coaching tenure. A full description of what goes into the projections and why is available here.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Keith Law's 2016 MLB mock draft 1.0

Considering we're only three weeks and one day away from the MLB draft, it's time I stop procrastinating and take a shot at projecting the first round. This is never easy -- I think it's the hardest thing I do in this job because I'm trying to get information teams have no incentive to disclose -- but this year, it's even more difficult because the teams at the top, including the Phillies at 1-1, have yet to decide whom they're taking.

I think with the way the top of the board is shaking out, with probably just two prep arms going in the top 10, several other top high school pitchers will end up in the teens -- or they'll be totally unsignable unless someone goes way over slot in the comp round. That could apply to Clifton Park, New York, right-hander Ian Anderson, who has barely pitched this spring because of terrible weather in the area and a bout of pneumonia, or Kansas lefty Joey Wentz, whose velocity has tailed off and whose medical reports teams are waiting to read.

Enjoy this for what it is: a first attempt. I'll have another one in two weeks, and I hope that will be more accurate. (You can see my MLB draft Big Board here.)

Note: Click on a player's name to go to his player card, which has a full scouting report written by Eric Longenhagen.

1. Philadelphia Phillies
A.J. Puk, LHP
Florida

Puk threw well Saturday with a ton of heat in the house, including three folks from the Phillies, at least two each from Atlanta and Colorado, and the scouting director for the Reds. The Phillies' mix is still pretty broad, which reflects the lack of consensus around the top talents in the class, with Puk, Kyle Lewis, Corey Ray, Mickey Moniak and Blake Rutherford forming their current decision set.

i
2. Cincinnati Reds
Kyle Lewis, OF
Mercer

The Reds have been rumored to be on college players most of the spring. Scouting director Chris Buckley has had three top-10 picks with Cincinnati, and he went college for each of those, though he went with a high schooler at No. 11 last year. This year, Lewis, Ray, Nick Senzel and Puk are the most likely options.

i
3. Atlanta Braves
Jason Groome, LHP
Barnegat (New Jersey) High School

Atlanta could take a strong college position player here, such as Ray, and then resume its usual, high-upside high school strategy in the sandwich round. That said, the Braves have loved Groome's upside since the fall, and I think they'd feel they were getting the draft's top talent.

i
4. Colorado Rockies
Riley Pint, RHP
St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Overland Park, Kansas)

The Rockies are on pitching. They'd take Puk if he got here, which seems unlikely but not impossible. If Puk is gone, I think their choice would come down to Pint or Groome, though they've also been very heavy on Moniak.

i
5. Milwaukee Brewers
Corey Ray, OF
Louisville

Brewers scouting director Ray Montgomery has always gone after the top player on the board wherever he has drafted (with Milwaukee and Arizona), and in this scenario, that's Ray. However, the Brewers also like Delvin Perez and Zack Collins, and they would be in the mix for Puk or Groome if either fell. Josh Lowe is also a dark horse here.

i
6. Oakland Athletics
Nick Senzel, 3B
Tennessee

Oakland is on college bats here, especially Senzel and Zack Collins, though it has scouted Moniak hard and would consider any of the top five guys who fell here, even Pint.

i
7. Miami Marlins
Mickey Moniak, OF
La Costa Canyon High School (Carlsbad, California)

I've heard the Marlins have expressed interest in Perez, Moniak, Braxton Garrett and Pint, as well as Senzel if he gets this far. That said, I don't think they'll take another college hitter in the first round, after Colin Moran didn't work out.

i
8. San Diego Padres
Braxton Garrett, LHP
Florence (Alabama) High School

Padres GM A.J. Preller said he wants "loud tools," but Garrett is not "loud." He is just a good, polished, high school pitcher who should move more quickly than some of his higher-ceiling peers. I've heard the Padres with Pint, Forrest Whitley and Perez. They're also widely rumored to have a deal in place at pick 24 with Stanford pitcher Cal Quantrill, who's still out after 2015 Tommy John surgery and might not pitch this spring (which is fueling rumors that he has a deal with a team, though it could be just about any team).

i
9. Detroit Tigers
Blake Rutherford, OF
Chaminade College Prep (West Hills, California)

It's Rutherford here for now, though I've heard Riley Pint will go here if he drops this far.

i
10. Chicago White Sox
Dakota Hudson, RHP
Mississippi State

I've heard the White Sox are on big college arms, especially Hudson and Georgia right-hander Robert Tyler. That said, I wonder if they'd roll the dice on Pint, given their willingness to take guys with great stuff but unusual aspects to their deliveries.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
11. Seattle Mariners
Zack Collins, C
Miami

Collins almost certainly is not a catcher long-term, but he almost certainly is a major league bat at first base or even DH. Look for Seattle to lean toward a college bat at least with this pick, so if any of Ray, Lewis or Senzel slides here, one of them would be the pick. I've heard the Mariners are also very high on Justin Dunn.

i
12. Boston Red Sox
Nolan Jones, SS
Holy Ghost Prep (Bensalem, Pennsylvania)

Jones has been high on the Red Sox's radar for a while now. They don't seem to love the college pitching options and are very unlikely to take a high school arm.

i
13. Tampa Bay Rays
Delvin Perez, SS
International Baseball Academy (Puerto Rico)

Perez's stock has fallen due to questions about his work ethic and maturity, as well as some doubts about whether his ability to hit is enough to make his other plus-plus tools play. He's also just 17 years old and one of the highest-ceiling talents in the draft. The Rays, meanwhile, have never shied away from a player with questionable makeup, and compared to some past Rays players, such as Elijah Dukes and Josh Lueke, Perez is an angel. The Rays are looking for upside here and are also on Taylor Trammell.

i
14. Cleveland Indians
Cody Sedlock, RHP
Illinois

Perez stops here. I've also heard the Indians connected with a few college arms, including Sedlock and Justin Dunn, though I don't think that's all they're targeting.

i
15. Minnesota Twins
Matt Manning, RHP
Sheldon (Sacramento) High School

The Twins love power arms and have seen a lot of Manning -- part of that is due to his proximity to scouting director Deron Johnson's residence -- but I've heard them with Hudson if he slides here. Industry expectation is that Manning goes between pick No. 8 and here, if he's signable. The Twins seem to be on power arms first and a few high school athletes as well.

i
16. Los Angeles Angels
Alex Kirilloff, OF
Plum (Pittsburgh) High School

With the GM change in Anaheim (to Billy Eppler), the Angels are again open for business in the high school market, which should allow them to target some higher-ceiling players, such as Kirilloff or Trammell.

i
17. Houston Astros
Forrest Whitley, RHP
Alamo Heights (San Antonio) High School

I've heard the Astros more on high-upside high school players such as Whitley and Trammell, rather than the expected (or stereotyped?) college performers.

i
18. New York Yankees
Taylor Trammell, OF
Mount Paran Christian (Kennesaw, Georgia)

I've also heard the Yankees connected with Santa Barbara, California, prep right-hander Kevin Gowdy, who, if he doesn't go here, is a favorite of Phillies scouts and could be an overpay at 43.

i
19. New York Mets
Will Craig, 1B
Wake Forest

The Mets seem to be mostly focused on college bats, such as Craig, Collins if he gets here, Chris Okey and Matt Thaiss.

i
20. Los Angeles Dodgers
Justin Dunn, RHP
Boston College

The Dodgers are also on Sedlock, Trammell and prep shortstop Gavin Lux, the No. 2 true shortstop in this class.

i
21. Toronto Blue Jays
Bo Bichette, IF
Lakewood (St. Petersburg, Florida) High School

Dante Bichette's son was very good last summer and has continued to mash this spring, though he's clearly not a shortstop. He'll have to find a new position in pro ball.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
22. Pittsburgh Pirates
Matt Thaiss, C
Virginia

Thaiss might not stay at catcher, but he rarely strikes out, which makes him an obvious fit for the Pirates' philosophy. They're also the highest team I've heard on Louisville reliever Zack Burdi, who might be able to pitch in the big leagues this season.

i
23. St. Louis Cardinals
Robert Tyler, RHP
Georgia

This is the first team about which I can honestly say I haven't heard anything of substance, and given that they have a new scouting director, I can't give you anything more than an educated guess.

Compensation picks
Because the first round is unusually short this year, here are a few stabs at the sandwich-round selections, the 11 picks awarded to teams that lost free agents who declined qualifying offers.

24. San Diego Padres: Cal Quantrill, RHP, Stanford

25. San Diego Padres: Zack Burdi, RHP, Louisville

26. Chicago White Sox: Gavin Lux, SS, Indian Trail Academy (Kenosha, Wisconsin)

27. Baltimore Orioles: Anthony Kay, LHP, Connecticut

28. Washington Nationals: Carter Kieboom, 3B, Walton High School (Marietta, Georgia)

29. Washington Nationals: Alec Hansen, RHP, Oklahoma

30. Texas Rangers: Josh Lowe, 3B/RHP, Pope High School (Marietta, Georgia)

31. New York Mets: Eric Lauer, LHP, Kent State

32. Los Angeles Dodgers: T.J. Zeuch, RHP, Pittsburgh

33. St. Louis Cardinals: Chris Okey, C, Clemson

34. St. Louis Cardinals: Jordan Sheffield, RHP, Vanderbilt

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Trade, free-agent questions for 17 teams: Kings, Raptors, Heat, more

Sacramento KingsFact or Fiction: The Kings should keep and build around DeMarcus Cousins.
Tom Haberstroh: Fiction. Ranadive or Cousins -- one's going to have to go before this organization can take a serious step toward relevance. Ranadive has shown almost no ability to maximize a top-10 talent like Cousins. And I don't see Ranadive being the one to step away.

More questions:

• Fact or Fiction: Dave Joerger (coach) and Ken Catanella (assistant GM) signal a new day in Sacramento.
  • What other moves do you expect from the Kings this offseason?
  • Cousins aside, how many keepers do the Kings have on the roster?
  • Fact or Fiction: The Kings will make the playoffs by 2019.
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Kings

Toronto RaptorsShould the Raptors max out DeMar DeRozan?
Amin Elhassan: Yes, for two reasons. 1. Because he wants to be there, and that's crucial to building any sort of sustainable culture of success. 2. Because regardless of how you feel about his current market value, in a year the inevitable cap inflation will correct for it and he'll increase in value by default.

More questions:

• What do you foresee and advise for the Raptors this offseason?
  • From 0 to 10, to what degree should the Raptors make Jonas Valanciunas their new offensive cornerstone?
  • What kind of trade would make the most sense for the Raptors?
  • Are the Raptors about to rise or fall in the East?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Raptors

Atlanta HawksFact or Fiction: Atlanta should offer Al Horford a max contract.
Kevin Pelton: It certainly shouldn't be their first offer, given the likelihood that the last year of that contract ($33.6 million in 2020-21, when Horford will be 34) will get ugly. But if it's the only way to re-sign Horford, I would reluctantly say yes because I think another team would still be willing to acquire Horford early in the deal, when it's more favorable, should the Hawks go another direction.

More questions:

• What should the Hawks do this offseason?
  • Fact or Fiction: Atlanta should offer Kent Bazemore a big contract.
  • Point guard of the future: Jeff Teague, Dennis Schroder or neither?
  • If the Hawks were a stock and you were looking ahead three years, would you buy, sell or hold?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Hawks

Boston CelticsShould the Celtics stay the course or make moves to contend for the title next season?
Bradford Doolittle: Boston's biggest star is its coach, Brad Stevens. On the roster, they have a number of solid young professionals. Now is the time to make a splash and bring some definition to a squad laden with redundancy. Go get a top big man (like Al Horford, Dwight Howard or Brook Lopez) and a scoring wing (Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, DeMar DeRozan), and this all comes into focus.

More questions:

• Which potential free agents should Boston keep?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Celtics this offseason?
  • You're a GM looking to trade a superstar to Boston. Which players and/or draft picks do you want in return?
  • Some say the Celtics are not a free-agent destination. What do you say?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Celtics

Charlotte HornetsWhat is the ideal Hornets frontcourt of the future?
Justin Verrier: Their base look -- Williams at 4, Zeller at the 5 -- works. Zeller, with his aw-shucks demeanor, may not be the sexiest option, but his screen-setting, improving midrange game and physical defense allowed the Hornets to bomb away at the league's fourth-highest rate.

Clifford can adjust, as evidenced by the retro look when Al Jefferson plays, but the Hornets should add more options with range, speed and passing, not limit themselves with a high-priced, older and often injured star like Dwight Howard.

More questions:

• How should Charlotte prioritize its free agents?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Hornets this offseason?
  • From 0 to 10, how desirable a destination will Charlotte be for players in the near future?
  • Have the Hornets peaked or are they rising?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Hornets

Dallas MavericksWhat should the Dirk plan be?
Jeremias Engelmann: I think it makes sense for him to play another season, but he might want to call it a career before 2017-18 if the Mavs can't significantly improve the roster. That gives him about a year to share the secrets of his patented one-legged fadeaway with Dallas' bigs.

More questions:

• Where do Justin Anderson and Salah Mejri fit into the picture?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Mavs this offseason?
  • Is Mark Cuban an example of success for other owners?
  • If the Mavs were a stock and you were looking five years ahead, would you buy, sell or hold?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Mavericks

Detroit PistonsFact or Fiction: Reggie Jackson and Andre Drummond are a championship-level foundation.
Kevin Pelton: Fiction. Look at the best players on championship teams in modern NBA history. They've generally been top-10 players, and I'm not sure Drummond will get to that point. Jackson has the potential to become an above-average No. 2 option, but is unlikely to end up better than Drummond.

More questions:

• In a "pre-offseason" trade, the Pistons used their cap space to acquire Tobias Harris in February. Good move or not?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Pistons this offseason?
  • Agree or disagree: Detroit's progress supports the idea of a coach-president.
  • How many playoff series will Detroit win in the next three years?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Pistons

Houston RocketsWill and should Dwight Howard return?
Tom Haberstroh: I don't see that happening, which seemed like an impossibility when he joined in 2013. I suspect Howard will end up in Dallas where he can team up with Dirk Nowitzki, be pampered by Mark Cuban and take part in the fountain of youth there. After ranking ninth on the roster in usage rate, my guess is Howard feels as if the Houston thing has run its course.

More questions:

• Is James Harden a reliable foundation for the Rockets' future?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Rockets this offseason?
  • How do you assess Houston GM Daryl Morey?
  • If the Rockets were a stock and you were looking five years ahead, would you buy, sell or hold?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Rockets

Indiana PacersWhat's your take on the hiring of Nate McMillan as head coach?
Kevin Pelton: While he doesn't exactly fit Bird's stated desire to play faster, McMillan can transition the Pacers to the four-out style Bird wants the Pacers to play. Remember, McMillan's 2004-05 Sonics team that played eventual champion San Antonio as tough as anyone in the playoffs relied heavily on Vladimir Radmanovic as a stretch-4, and some of McMillan's best Blazers lineups had LaMarcus Aldridge in the middle with Gerald Wallace sliding down to power forward.

If retaining assistant Dan Burke can help Indiana maintain its defensive integrity, McMillan's ability to build offenses that combine lots of 3s with strong offensive rebounding could juice the offense.

More questions:

• Should the Pacers get a stretch 4 and play smaller and faster?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Pacers this offseason?
  • What do you expect from Myles Turner next season and beyond?
  • What's the Pacers' most likely path to getting another star?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Pacers

Los Angeles ClippersFor several years, there has been talk of breaking up the Clippers. What is your take on this idea?
Kevin Arnovitz: If you break it up, what exactly are you getting in return? As currently constituted, let's say the Clippers have a 10-15 percent chance of getting where they want to go. Not great, but a puncher's chance. If detonating yields a series of deals that moves that number to 20 percent, go for it. But if there's little value in return, they're probably better off playing the 7-1 or 8-1 odds.

More questions:

• If the Clippers move one of the big three, who should it be?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Clippers this offseason?
  • Austin Rivers has a player option. If he becomes a free agent, what will and should the Clippers do?
  • If the Clippers were a stock and you were looking ahead five years, would you buy, sell or hold?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Clippers

Miami HeatWhat should the Heat do about mercurial center Hassan Whiteside?
Amin Elhassan: That's the four-year, approximately $92-million question. The Heat darn near had to beg and plead to get Whiteside to buy in when he was making the non-guaranteed minimum, so I don't see how paying him $20-plus million a year will get his attention. That said, he was really productive down the stretch in the regular season, and if you let him go, you have the instant issue of figuring out how to replace him.

More questions:

• What should the Heat do about aging superstar Dwyane Wade?
  • What should the Heat do about veteran forward Luol Deng?
  • What role should big man Chris Bosh play in the Heat's plans for next season and beyond?
  • Fact or Fiction: The Heat will compete for the East title within the next two seasons.
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Heat

Memphis GrizzliesWhat's your take on the hiring of David Fizdale?
David Thorpe: Memphis was wise to promote assistant coach Dave Joerger in 2013 -- top assistants like Joerger then and Fizdale now should get strong consideration more often.

There are not a lot of similarities between the Miami and Memphis franchises, with the Grizzlies enduring a lot of turmoil the past two years. Perhaps the new coach can help settle down a franchise that has some quality talent on its roster and a great fan base.

More questions:

• Memphis general manager Chris Wallace was quoted predicting, "We are going to re-sign Mike Conley." How confident should Wallace be?
  • What other moves do you expect from the Grlizzies this offseason?
  • Wallace also predicted a "full recovery" for Marc Gasol after foot surgery. From 0 to 100 percent, how confident should Wallace be?
  • Should and will the Grizzlies bring back Lance Stephenson?
For all the answers, check out the 5-on-5 on the future of the Grizzlies