Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

54. Minnesota Vikings
Todd McShay's pick: Darian Thompson, S, Boise State
Thompson is a true ball hawk in the back end, finishing his career with 19 interceptions. He'd form quite a safety tandem with Harrison Smith.

i

55. Cincinnati Bengals
Mel Kiper's pick: Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh
I thought Todd reached a little bit for the Bengals in Round 1, so this helps. The Bengals need help at wide receiver, and this in a good value for Boyd.

i

56. Seattle Seahawks
Todd McShay's pick: Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
Clark is a highly effective run defender who can help fill Brandon Mebane's old spot on the interior of the Seahawks' D-line.

i

57. Green Bay Packers
Mel Kiper's pick: Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss
The defense already seems improved with the addition of Ragland. If Nkemdiche stays focused in Green Bay, watch out. Could be the steal of the draft.

i

58. Pittsburgh Steelers
Todd McShay's pick: Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
Total value pick here. The No. 33 overall player on my board, Johnson has enough quickness to disrupt plays in the backfield. Adds good depth to the Steelers' D-line.

i

59. Kansas City Chiefs
Mel Kiper's pick: Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers
A needed weapon in the passing game, Carroo is another player who makes driving it down the field more appealing.

i

60. New England Patriots
Todd McShay's pick: Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame
I love watching Day play. His motor is second to none at the DT position. He's one of the most underrated players in this draft

i

61. New England Patriots*
Mel Kiper's pick: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
Bill Belichick has taken running backs in Round 2 before, so it won't offend his sensibilities here if the Patriots get him another big banger.

*Acquired in trade with Cardinals

i

62. Carolina Panthers
Todd McShay's pick: Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas
Ridgeway could be an overachiever playing with our supporting cast. He's a load to move up front and doesn't lose many one-on-one matchups.

i

63. Denver Broncos
Mel Kiper's pick: Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
He might be a short-term project, but roll the freshman tape and you'll see a guy who can handle an NFL offense. The physical skills are all there.

ROUND 3

i

64. Tennessee Titans
Todd McShay's pick: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State
Vannett has the frame (6-6, 257), athleticism and route-running skills to be a weapon for QB Marcus Mariota down the seam.

i

65. Cleveland Browns
Mel Kiper's pick: Cody Whitehair, C/G, Kansas State
The Browns need help everywhere, and the offensive line is no exception. Whitehair is a good value here.

i

66. San Diego Chargers
Todd McShay's pick: Nick Kwiatkoski, ILB, West Virginia
Kwiatkoski has the best instincts in this year's LB class. He will provide immediate depth at the second level while contributing on special teams.

i

67. Dallas Cowboys
Mel Kiper's pick: Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina
Strong hands and dangerous after the catch. Cooper can win from the slot in this offense.

i

68. San Francisco 49ers
Todd McShay's pick: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama
Jones has experience working as a nickel CB and also adds value as a punt returner (four TDs in college).

i

69. Jacksonville Jaguars
Mel Kiper's pick: Christian Westerman, G, Arizona State
One of my favorite players in the draft available this far down the board? Steal.

i

70. Baltimore Ravens
Todd McShay's pick: Willie Henry, DT, Michigan
An underrated prospect, Henry has a good blend of size, mobility and strength. He has the ability to play different positions along our D-line.

i

71. New York Giants
Mel Kiper's pick: Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn
Coleman offers needed depth at tackle, and could compete to start (most likely on the right side) right away.

i

72. Chicago Bears
Todd McShay's pick: Su'a Cravens, S, USC
He is a bit of a tweener and lacks the speed to hold up in a coverage as a true safety, but Cravens would really help elevate our run defense.

i

73. Miami Dolphins
Mel Kiper's pick: Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech
They like Jay Ajayi, and Dixon can take some pressure off. He's decisive and bounces off contact.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

74. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Todd McShay's pick: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State

The Bucs need a productive pass-rushing DE. I wish my partner here would've taken care of that earlier, but Calhoun has the length and speed-to-power capabilities to become an impact guy off the edge.

i

75. Oakland Raiders
Mel Kiper's pick: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State
Athletes this impressive are rarely around at No. 75, and with a little time Miller can become a contributor.

i

76. Tennessee Titans*
Todd McShay's pick: Chris Moore, WR, Cincinnati
This is a value pick; Moore is my No. 48 overall player. If you're keeping track, we've upgraded Mariota's receiving corps (Doctson and Moore), while also giving him an OT with upside (Spriggs) and a solid TE (Vannett). (Not to mention the Ogbah and Alexander selections to help the defense.) The lesson? Tennessee has the capital to make some serious upgrades in this draft.

*Acquired in trade with Rams

i

77. Cleveland Browns*
Mel Kiper's pick: Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Washington was at one time seen as a first-rounder, and is a good value at this point. Who doesn't need a versatile D-lineman?

*Acquired in trade from Eagles.

i

78. New Orleans Saints
Todd McShay's pick: Jordan Payton, WR, UCLA
Payton has some of the best ball skills in this WR class. There's a lot to like about his upside.

i

79. Philadelphia Eagles
Mel Kiper's pick: Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State
Extremely productive as a pass-rusher in his final season at Penn State, he gives the Eagles another pass-rusher to rotate.

i

80. Buffalo Bills
Todd McShay's pick: Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska
After getting Lawson in Round 1, it's time to address the interior of our D-line. Collins flashes the first-step quickness to penetrate and disrupt.

i

81. Atlanta Falcons
Mel Kiper's pick: Sean Davis, S, Maryland
The Falcons need to get a safety at some point, and I'll get them a pretty good one here. Davis can help soon.

i

82. Indianapolis Colts
Todd McShay's pick: Adam Gotsis, DE, Georgia Tech
One of the most underrated players in this class, Gotsis shows terrific toughness on tape and fills a need for us at defensive end.

i

83. New York Jets
Mel Kiper's pick: Joe Schobert, OLB, Wisconsin
The Jets get a needed pass-rusher, and in the actual draft Schobert is a player who could come off a lot higher than this point. Possibly near Round 1.

i

84. Washington Redskins
Todd McShay's pick: Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU
We've done nothing to address the defensive front. Come on, Mel! Kaufusi has the potential to develop as an outside linebacker in our 3-4.

i

85. Houston Texans
Mel Kiper's pick: Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
Clark is a massive lineman who would need work to stick at tackle but can also slide inside.

i

86. Minnesota Vikings
Todd McShay's pick: Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia
Worley has an intriguing skill set as a press cornerback due to his combination of size, length and fluidity.

i

87. Cincinnati Bengals
Mel Kiper's pick: Jordan Jenkins, OLB, Georgia
A high-floor player with toughness at the point, he can set the edge and could give you something as a pass-rusher. Good value slot.

i

88. Green Bay Packers
Todd McShay's pick: Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor
Another pick for the defense. At 6-foot, Howard is most effective in playing press-man which allows him to his length to disrupt at the line of scrimmage.

i

89. Pittsburgh Steelers
Mel Kiper's pick: Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU
The Steelers were pleasantly surprised at some of the growth on the O-line last year, but this pick adds immediate depth with starter potential.

i

90. Seattle Seahawks
Todd McShay's pick: KeiVarae Russell, CB, Notre Dame
Russell has some upside because of his athleticism. He's a good fit for our scheme, given his strengths in zone/press coverage.

i

91. New England Patriots
Mel Kiper's pick: Tavon Young, CB, Temple
Todd might be a little jealous as I nab for the Patriots one of his favorites. He's not big, but he's everything else.

i

92. Arizona Cardinals
Todd McShay's pick: Max Tuerk, C, USC
This is the Cardinals' biggest need entering the draft. I would've loved to grab Ryan Kelly in Round 1, but he was off the board. Tuerk was a three-year starter at USC and his experience is evident when you watch his tape. This is a smart player who reacts quickly to movement from the D-line.

i

93. Carolina Panthers
Mel Kiper's pick: D.J. White, CB, Georgia Tech
The need at cornerback is pronounced, and White is a good value at this point. Superior instincts.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

94. Denver Broncos
Todd McShay's pick: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah
You can never have too much depth at running back. A natural pass-catcher, Booker has the potential to develop into a good third-down back.

i

95. Detroit Lions
Mel Kiper's pick: Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State
Detroit could use the depth at wide receiver, and Burbridge is a favorite of mine.

i

96. New England Patriots
Todd McShay's pick: Justin Simmons, S, Boston College
Simmons is a terrific athlete -- best short-shuttle (3.85 seconds) and eighth-best vertical jump (40 inches) at the combine -- and a good man-to-man cover safety.

i

97. Seattle Seahawks
Mel Kiper's pick: Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana
Howard isn't just a big banger, he's also capable of moving his feet and finding backside lanes. He might even be better than Derrick Henry in that regard.

i

98. Denver Broncos
Todd McShay's pick: B.J. Goodson, ILB, Clemson

The Broncos need an inside linebacker after losing Danny Trevathan in free agency. An above average run defender, Goodson would provide quality depth.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Rookie Report: Top 10 rookies to start season

We are now three weeks into the regular season and already several of the preseason favorites to win American League Rookie of the Year, including Byron Buxton, Luis Severino, Blake Snell, Joey Gallo, Jose Berrios, Byung Ho Parkand Tyler Naquin, are either underperforming or in the minor leagues. Instead, it is Tyler White, Nomar Mazara and rule 5 selection Joey Rickard who are leading the way.

In the National League, it’s been a different Story (excuse the Trevor pun), as the experts' front runner Corey Seager of the Dodgers is off to an OK start but the big story (excuse the Trevor pun again) has been that three Dodgers made the top 10 thanks to dominating performances by Kenta Maeda and a terrific start to his career by Ross Stripling. Of course, the leader so far has to be Trevor Story of the Rockies who, by far, has been the best rookie story (I promise that was my last pun of this article) so far leading all rookies with 14 runs, 2 triples 8 home runs, and 14 runs batted in.

This rookie class won’t be as strong as last year’s that was led by Carlos Correa, Kris Bryant and Francisco Lindor, but does appear to be a solid one with players from various backgrounds including: a Rule 5 selection, a 28-year old rookie, an international signing, a shortstop that only made the team because his teammate was put on administrative leave and another shortstop who was initially optioned out before the season started and considered their third best option at the position just a few weeks ago.

Here is the breakdown of how the 10 top rookies have performed to start the season based on performance.

1. Trevor Story, SS, Colorado Rockies

i
Story was my preseason pick for rookie of the year. The interesting part is the only reason he’s in the major leagues this year is because Jose Reyes was put on administrative leave prior to the start of spring training. Otherwise, the plan was to start Story at AAA in the Rockies farm system. Story, 23, was a former first-round pick of the Colorado Rockies in the 2011 June Amateur Draft out of Irving H.S. in Irving, Texas. Last year between AA and AAA he smacked 40 doubles, 10 triples, 20 home runs, 80 RBI and stole 22 bases in 25 attempts. So, it should be no surprise that he got off to a fast start for Colorado. However, how he did it was dramatic as he is the first player in baseball history to hit seven home runs in the first six games and eight in his first 13 games of his career. Story does have some work to do defensively, and he certainly won’t be able to keep this pace up, but he has cemented himself as a legitimate Rookie of the Year candidate at the start of this season.

2. Kenta Maeda, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

i
Maeda has been the best rookie pitcher so far in the month of April going 2-0 with a 2.47 ERA in his first three starts with 15 strikeouts and only four walks in 19 innings pitched. The Dodgers signed Maeda to one of the most creative contracts in baseball this off-season that included an eight-year, $25 million dollar guarantee that can grow to $106.2 million over the life of the contract if he stays healthy by making 32 starts per year and logging 200 innings a year. The reason the contract was so incentive laden was because he there were some irregularities in his physical that factors into his contract. Maeda, 28, is an early favorite to win NL Rookie of the Year thanks to two impressive starts and not allowing a single run. Maeda doesn’t have over powering stuff but he really knows how to pitch. His fastball is in the low 90s with a four-pitch mix. His slider is his go to secondary pitch but his curveball and change-up are effective as well. The best part of his game is that he uses both sides of the plate, elevates when he needs to, has solid late life and hits the mitt with consistency. He’ll add and subtract on all his pitches with deception in his delivery. He even homered in his first major league start at Petco Park, which was amazing considering he hit only two home runs in his eight years in Japan.

3. Tyler White, 1B, Houston Astros

i
Most analysts and experts in spring training kept talking about A.J. Reed still one of the best position prospects in the Astros' farm system or they kept talking about how committed the Astros were to Jonathan Singleton because of the mistake contract they gave him. Behind the scenes GM Jeff Luhnow and Manager A.J. Hinch kept whispering about how impressed they were with Tyler White and sure enough he won the job in Kissimmee before the Astros broke camp. Why did the Astros brass like White so much? Because he can flat out hit and that’s all he’s done in his professional career. White, 25, has an impressive minor league slash line of .311/.422/.489 after his first three seasons including .325/.442/.496 last year between stints in AA and AAA. So far, in the minor league he’s shown just 15 home run power, and most of his tools are average to below-average. However, his bat tool is special as he can flat out hit anything in the strike zone and with an Astros lineup that should always have traffic on the bases, he should get plenty of opportunities to drive in runs. He was my preseason pick for AL Rookie of the Year. His start has been amazing slashing .340/.404/.720 with five home runs and 12 RBIs. It looks as if he's on his way to possibly hitting 20 home runs for the first time in his professional career.

4. Jerad Eickhoff, RHP, Philadelphia Phillies

i
Eickhoff was acquired by the Phillies in their blockbuster Cole Hamels deal with the Texas Rangers last July along with Jorge Alfaro, Jake Thompson, Nick Williams, Alec Asher and Matt Harrison, (the trade also sent, Jake Diekman and cash to the Rangers). Eickhoff was the top pitching prospect acquired in that deal and got off to a fast start to his major league career last year when he had a 2.65 ERA and 1.039 WHIP in eight starts for the Philllies after the deal. This year he’s continued where he left off with a 1.89 ERA after three starts. Eickhoff, like Maeda, doesn’t have overpowering stuff with a low 90s fastball but has a good four-pitch mix highlighted by an above-average curve ball that he throws over 25 percent of the time.

5. Jeremy Hazelbaker, OF, St. Louis Cardinals

i
Cardinals Manager Mike Matheny and GM John Mozeliak started spring training talking about their plan of mixing and matching their outfielders and first baseman in an effort to improve the team’s overall offense this year. The players they talked about included: Matt Holliday, Randal Grichuk, Stephen Piscotty, Tommy Pham, Brandon Moss and Matt Adams. That's six players for four positions. However, all of a sudden a 28-year old rookie, whose name sounds more like a latte from Starbucks started pounding the baseball. Hazelbaker, who had never had an at-bat in the major leagues in seven years in the Red Sox, Dodgers and Cardinals farm systems started to put on a show leading all Cardinals hitters in home runs and RBIs in the spring and made the major league team when Pham was placed on the disabled list. He has continued his hot hitting to start the year. He hit three homers in spring training and already hit three in April to go along with seven runs scored and seven RBIs.

6. Ross Stripling, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers

i
Stripling, 26, was the Dodgers fifth-round pick in the 2012 June Amateur Draft out of Texas A & M University. In his first professional season he was dominating, as shown by his 1.24 ERA after his first 12 starts and 15 games. After the 2013 season he quickly became one of the Dodgers top pitching prospects as going 8-4 in 22 starts (16 of which came at the AA level) and 27 games with a 2.82 ERA and 117 strikeouts in 127.3 innings pitched. However, he then would have Tommy John surgery and miss all of the 2014 season, returning last year to make 14 starts with a 3.66 ERA at both A and AA levels. In 2016, he arrived at spring training with better stuff than he had last year and won a job in the Dodgers rotation because of all the injuries to Hyun-Jin Ryu, Brandon McCarthy and Brett Anderson. Stripling has pitched so well in his first three starts -- as shown by his 2.65 ERA and yielding only 11 hits in 17 innings pitched -- that he might just be able to hold on to his job even when the Dodgers pitchers are ready to come off the DL. Stripling's fastball has been mostly around 90-92 mph with a four-pitch mix. His curveball is his best breaking ball and he throws his changeup more than his slider. So far, the key for Stripling has been his ability to pitch, throw strikes and get early count outs.

7. Nomar Mazara, OF, Texas Rangers

i
The Rangers did not have confidence that Mazara was major-league ready, so instead of giving him the chance to be their everyday left fielder, they went out and signed Ian Desmond as a free agent. However, when Shin-Soo Choo went down with a strained right calf on April 10, team president Jon Daniels was not afraid to call-up top prospect Mazara, whom Daniels had refused to include in the Cole Hamels deal last July. Mazara, 21, is off to a fast start making diving plays to his left and right and showing off his strong arm. At the plate he’s batting an impressive .364 including a double, home run and five runs batted in. He has a chance to be special player for the Rangers for years to come.

8. Joey Rickard, OF, Baltimore Orioles

i
The Baltimore Orioles were excited this off-season when they signed Hyun Soo Kim, 28, to a two-year, $7-million dollar deal in December after he had played nine seasons with the Doosan Bears in the Korea Baseball Organization. To add depth, almost as an afterthought, they also drafted Joey Rickard in the Rule 5 draft from the Tampa Bay Rays for $50,000 dollars. By the time spring training was over Rickard was a regular for $6.950 million less than they were paying Kim to, now, sit on the bench. Rickard paid immediate dividends to start the season giving the Orioles a much needed leadoff hitter slashing .337/.339/.473 with five runs, five doubles, one HR, and four RBIs in his first 13 games. The Tampa Bay Rays, desperate for offense in the same division, have to be regretting not protecting him in the Rule 5 Draft.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
9. Aledmys Diaz, SS, St. Louis Cardinals

i
When the Cardinals lost Jhonny Peralta for the first half of the season with a thumb injury in early March, they quickly turned to Diaz and Gyrko to compete for the job. However, just 10 days later they were unimpressed by both and ended up signing Ruben Tejada who had been released by the New York Mets earlier in the week and inked him to a $1.5 million dollar guaranteed contract. However, on March 31, Tejeada was injured with a quadriceps strain and he had to be put on the disabled list with Peralta. The Cards after already having optioned Diaz to the minor leagues quickly recalled him to replace Tejada. Since then, Diaz has been putting on an offensive show going 15-for-39 with six doubles, a triple, two home runs and eight RBI, though in the field, it has been a little rougher as he he has made 4 errors. With Tejada back from the DL, playing time might become an issue here.

10. Corey Seager, SS, Los Angeles Dodgers

i
Seager was the strong frontrunner for NL Rookie of the Year entering the regular season but is off to a slow start slashing just .228/.262/.351 with one home run and seven RBI, but has played solid shortstop with 19 putouts, 44 assists and only two errors to start the year. However, I would just look at his offensive numbers as a small sample size and remember how good he was last year in his major league debut when he slashed .337/.425/.561 with eight doubles, four home runs and 17 runs batted in in his first 27 Major League games. Give him time and he’ll be back near or at the top of this ranking.

Cwilk02

Pro
Supporter
Daps
@Skooby coukd you post the

Pro Football Focus: What if NFL teams drafted college football teams instead of players article breh?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@Skooby coukd you post the

Pro Football Focus: What if NFL teams drafted college football teams instead of players article breh?
Pro Football Focus: What if NFL teams drafted college football teams instead of players?

With the draft only a day away, we have seen more or less every conceivable analysis of the draft.

So maybe it's time for a little bit of fun. Imagine for a moment that the NFL teams weren't selecting individual players, but were instead drafting entire programs.

At the top of the draft, if you need a quarterback, you can draft one, but only by tying yourself to the talent he comes along with. Cardale Jones might not be the best prospect, but he comes with the powerhouse of Ohio State products entering the draft at the same time. Carson Wentz, on the other hand, comes with the rest of North Dakota State's draft crop.

Let's look at how the top 10 might look if teams were drafting entire school draft classes instead of single players, because there's only so much more we can hear about Jared Goff's hand size. The No. 1 pick might surprise you.

1. St. Louis Rams select Michigan State Spartans

There's no getting around the fact that the Rams still need a quarterback, but this is a chance to rebuild a roster in a major way, so they can't focus simply on Goff and Wentz at the expense of everything else. Michigan State represents the best compromise in the form of Connor Cook and the rest of its draft class.

It's not the strongest class in the draft, but it has a quarterback most likely to develop while also bringing some talent with him. Cook has been inconsistent, but his good has been very, very good, notching a passer rating of 108.0 last season when kept clean in the pocket. He brings with him receiver Aaron Burbridge and one of the top tackle prospects in the draft, Jack Conklin, right about the time the Rams are giving up on LT Greg Robinson.

They'd also add a nice situational rusher in Shilique Calhoun and some depth on the line on either side. This might not be the best draft class in the nation, or even coming out of the Big Ten conference, but Cook has shown so much more as a QB prospect than Jones from Ohio State, so this represents the best chance the Rams have of maximizing the use of this No. 1 overall pick and still getting a viable quarterback out of it.

2. Philadelphia Eagles select Ohio State Buckeyes

The Eagles are in a similar boat to the Rams, but with the best compromise off the board, and with a little more wiggle room in terms of being able to sit and develop their quarterback for a year or two, they go all-in on the best draft class in the nation -- Ohio State. That gives them a young, raw quarterback in Jones, but it also presents them with immediate upgrades and depth almost everywhere else.

In Ezekiel Elliott, they snag one of the best running back prospects to come along for years, and with Joey Bosa, Eli Apple and Adolphus Washington, they grab three clear first-round talents to go along with Elliott. If you throw inMichael Thomas, Taylor Decker, Darron Lee and Vonn Bell, this is as good a draft haul as you could hope to find. The only down side for the Eagles would be how much Jones could develop sitting behind either Sam Bradford orChase Daniel.

3. San Diego Chargers select Alabama Crimson Tide

In no desperate need for a quarterback, the Chargers can afford to go BSA (best school available), and that leads them to a nice haul from Alabama that adds several key upgrades. Jarran Reed and A'Shawn Robinson may both be better than anybody on the Chargers' D-line last season, and when combined with Corey Liuget would give San Diego a formidable front for the first time in years.

Center has been a problem position for the Chargers for a while. In Ryan Kelly, they would get the best one in the draft, a player who didn't allow a single sack over the past two seasons and just 13 total pressures over two years.Derrick Henry gives them a similar player to Melvin Gordon, but Kenyan Drake could be a new Darren Sproles for that offense, as well as adding value in the return game.

Cyrus Jones is a talented corner, albeit one with lapses that cost him at times -- he surrendered six touchdowns last season. But overall was the eighth-best-graded corner in the draft class and is a force against the run and short screen game.

4. Dallas Cowboys select Clemson Tigers

Dallas is another team with no pressing need at QB, so the Cowboys go for one of this year's most talented draft classes that nicely fills some team needs. Between Shaq Lawson and Kevin Dodd, the Cowboys add a pair of edge rushers who combined for 119 total pressures for the Tigers last season, and each plays the run very well. Mackensie Alexander is the best man-coverage cornerback in the draft, allowing only 19 receptions in his final season and no touchdowns. T.J. Green and Jayron Kearse provide some options in the secondary, while Charone Peake is an intriguing development prospect as a receiver.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars select Notre Dame Fighting Irish

At No. 5, the Jaguars couldn't have fared much better than the Notre Dame draft class. It gives them one of the best tackles in the draft, Ronnie Stanley, allowing them to finally give up on the Luke Joeckel experiment, and also provides some interesting players who can find a role on the team or provide needed depth.

Nick Martin is one of the best center prospects in the country and didn't allow either a sack or hit this past season. KeiVarae Russell adds an intriguing corner prospect. Will Fuller might not be a complete receiver, but he adds a blazing deep threat to an already loaded group in Jacksonville, while Sheldon Day and C.J. Prosise bring a lot of talent to the depth chart. They also get the ultimate gamble in Jaylon Smith, one of the most talented players in the draft, but an injury question mark.

6. Baltimore Ravens select Ole Miss Rebels

As usual, the Ravens just do the sensible, non-flashy thing and take Ole Miss, giving them three of the best prospects in the draft. Laremy Tunsil is the top tackle prospect and was a candidate to go No. 1 overall before all of the trade dealings. Laquon Treadwell is a beast of a possession receiver, having broken 14 or more tackles in each of the past two seasons despite missing time injured.

Finally, Robert Nkemdiche is a top talent and one of the most disruptive interior linemen in the nation, but has character concerns and personality red flags that might see him fall in the draft.

7. San Francisco 49ers select UCLA Bruins

It's not that the Niners would turn down a QB, but they need more help than that. And at this point in our imaginary draft, UCLA provides far more of that help.

Myles Jack is one of the top talents in the draft at linebacker, but this class would also give the Niners a nose tackle in Kenny Clark, a tight end in Thomas Duarte to replace Vernon Davis, receiver depth in Jordan Payton and one of the top running backs in the class, Paul Perkins. Perkins was PFF's second-highest graded back in the class, trailing only Elliott, and broke 73 tackles last season on just 236 carries, notching 3.6 yards per carry after contact.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
8. Cleveland Browns select Cal Golden Bears

The Browns still desperately need a quarterback, despite the RG III reclamation project having begun, and this is the point Goff alone is too much value to pass up for a better school overall.

Goff is the best prospect at the position this season, and the highest-graded of any of the top QBs PFF has seen over the past two seasons. He is an accurate, smart passer who can become the face of this franchise.

It's not like Cal has nothing else in this draft class. Goff would bring his favorite receiving target, Kenny Lawler, as well as running back Daniel Lasco, both of whom are popular sleeper picks in this draft. Lawler caught 13 touchdown passes from Goff this past season, five more than any other Cal receiver, and in 2014, Lasco had a fine grade running the ball before a hip injury derailed his 2015 season.

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Baylor Bears

At this point, the program talent starts to drop off, especially in areas of need for the Bucs. They end up shooting for impact talent in the Baylor draft class, and secure three players who could make a quick impact, with more potential depth behind them.

Corey Coleman is arguably the best receiver prospect in this draft, and brings a speed and burst lacking from the current Tampa Bay receiving corps. With Vincent Jackson appearing to be on the downslope of his career, Coleman comes in at the right time. Andrew Billings can be the defensive tackle partner to Gerald McCoy that the team has been searching for, and Xavien Howard could start immediately at corner.

Spencer Drango could help out on the line, and the team even gets a chance to upgrade at long snapper with Jimmy Landes coming in to compete with their incumbent, who was just the 20th-graded long-snapper in the NFL last season.

10. New York Giants select Stanford Cardinal

The Giants are another team whose needs aren't a great fit with the remaining talent, but they end up going for the Pac-12's finest in Stanford.

Guard Joshua Garnett and tackle Kyle Murphy could both compete to start immediately, while Austin Hooper and Devon Cajuste give the Giants two potential upgrades at tight end. Blake Martinez had the highest PFF coverage grade in the nation among inside linebackers. Aziz shyttu is an intriguing depth player along the D-line, and the Giants even wind up with a project QB to sit behind Eli Manning in the form of Kevin Hogan, whose improvement in the final year of his Stanford career was marked.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Round 2 mock draft: Perfect fits for every team

After a roller-coaster Day 1 at the 2016 NFL draft, let's take a look at how Round 2 should play out if every team were drafting purely for best fit.

At each slot, we make a selection in the best interest of only the team with the pick. We won't pass on a player at No. 34 just because we like the team better at No. 35.

Here's our Round 2 mock draft:

i

32. Cleveland Browns
Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

Cook is the most NFL-ready QB available after starting 40 games in a pro-style system at Michigan State. In addition, first-year head coach Hue Jackson has had success with Andy Dalton, who, like Cook, doesn't possess an elite physical skill set.

Watch Cook's highlights

i

33. Tennessee Titans
Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

Thomas is one of the more polished route runners in this class and would provide second-year QB Marcus Mariota with a big and reliable target.

Watch Thomas' highlights

i

34. Dallas Cowboys

Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Dallas tried to move back into the first round to pick up Paxton Lynch but was unsuccessful, so a QB could be in the mix here. But after cutting ties with Greg Hardy and with Randy Gregory serving a four-game suspension, the Cowboys need to find pass-rushing help on the edges.

Watch Dodd's highlights

i

35. San Diego Chargers
Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

LT King Dunlap, who turns 31 in September, missed seven games because of injuries last season and was up and down when on the field. Spriggs would be a player to groom as Dunlap's eventual replacement.

Watch Spriggs' highlights

i

36. Baltimore Ravens
Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida

The team cut ties with Chris Canty this offseason and Brandon Williams enters a contract year. Carl Davis, a 2015 third-rounder, was ineffective in his rookie season, and Bullard plays with a physical and relentless edge that the Ravens covet at the position.

i

37. Kansas City Chiefs*
Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama

Ragland's enlarged aorta condition reported Thursday likely played a part in him falling out of the first round. Assuming his medical checks out, the Chiefs could use a physical thumper next to Derrick Johnson, who is getting up there in age at 33 years old.

Watch Ragland's highlights | *Acquired in trade with 49ers

i

38. Jacksonville Jaguars
Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

This isn't a big need for the Jaguars, but Reed is a great value here. Jacksonville would continue to target and strengthen its defensive front with the draft's best interior run defender.

Watch Reed's highlights

i

39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA

Jack is a top-five talent in this class, but long-term durability concerns with his knee deterred teams from using a first-round pick on him. Similar to Ragland, if his medical situation is deemed OK by the team, Jack could end up filling a need and being a steal for the Bucs.

Watch Jack's highlights

i

40. New York Giants
Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

The Giants need to start looking to groom an eventual replacement for Eli Manning, who turned 35 in January. This would be an ideal spot for Hackenberg to go into the witness protection program and hone his craft while Manning wraps up the remainder of his career. Hackenberg has the tools to eventually have success in the NFC East.

Watch Hackenberg's highlights

i

41. Chicago Bears
Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

Henry would be an ideal replacement for Martellus Bennett, who was traded to New England this offseason.

Watch Henry's highlights

i

42. Miami Dolphins
Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Miami traded for Byron Maxwell to help replace the void left by Brent Grimes, who left in free agency. But the Dolphins still have a hole to fill on the opposite side and adding another Clemson Tiger here would be a solid fit within their scheme, which mixes in a heavy dose of press technique.

Watch Alexander's highlights

i

43. Tennessee Titans*
Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor

The Titans need to find some consistency at the position. Kendall Fuller also would be an option here, but we went with Howard, who has the size, athleticism and ball awareness to fit within defensive coordinator dikk LeBeau's heavy press-zone scheme.

*Acquired in trade with Rams

i

44. Oakland Raiders
Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor

The Raiders need to continue to infuse depth and talent on the interior. Billings would quickly push for a starting spot next to Dan Williams on the inside.

Watch Billings' highlights

i

45. Tennessee Titans*
Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky

OLBs Derrick Morgan and Deiontrez Mount are coming off of season-ending injuries last season. Spence is one of the more natural edge rushers in this class and would have a chance to thrive within LeBeau's exotic blitz packages.

Watch Spence's highlights | *Acquired in trade with Rams

i

46. Detroit Lions
Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Fuller has some limitations and is a bit speed deficient, but he has excellent instincts and ball awareness that would fit well within the Lions' heavy-zone scheme.

Watch Fuller's highlights

i

47. New Orleans Saints
Cody Whitehair, G, Kansas State

After parting ways with six-time pro bowler Jahri Evans, the Saints have a void to fill on the interior of the O-line. Whitehair is a technician who plays with great balance to fit within the Saints' zone-blocking scheme.

Watch Whitehair's highlights

i

48. Indianapolis Colts
Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State

After addressing the offensive line in the first round, the Colts should look to continue to get stronger in the trenches. Jones shows some inconsistencies on tape, but he has the most upside of any of the defensive tackles. That, combined with his versatility, makes him worth risk at this point.

Watch Jones' highlights

i

49. Buffalo Bills
Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State

The Bills are looking to infuse some talent at the linebacker position. Correa's ability to play in space and bring value as a pass-rusher could be appealing for coach Rex Ryan and his creative defensive mind.

Watch Correa's highlights

i

50. Atlanta Falcons
Deion Jones, OLB, LSU

The Falcons are short on playmakers at the linebacker position, as they gave up an NFL-high 213 combined receptions to RBs and TEs last season. Jones' speed and ability to hold up space could help their cause in this area.

i

51. New York Jets
Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

SS Calvin Pryor is coming off a strong season, but the Jets could use to add depth and potential upgrade at FS. Bell also brings great value at this point; he is arguably the best cover safety in this class.

Watch Bell's highlights

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

52. Houston Texans
A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama

DE Jared Crick left via free agency, and Jeoffrey Pagan and Christian Covington have yet to make a big impact up front. Robinson's versatility as a two-gapper makes him a fit here.

Watch Robinson's highlights

i

53. Washington Redskins
Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

Johnson would add size and strength to a defense that ranked 26th in rushing defense last season, while giving up 4.8 yards per rush (31st in the NFL).

Watch Johnson's highlights

i

54. Minnesota Vikings
Nick Martin, G/C, Notre Dame

Even after signing G Alex Boone to a four-year deal, the Vikings need to add youth and talent on the interior. G Brandon Fusco struggled last season, while C John Sullivan missed all of 2015 and is coming off of two back surgeries. Martin could be a plug-and-play rookie because of his experience, toughness and advanced technique.

Watch Martin's highlights

i

55. Cincinnati Bengals
Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh

The Bengals need to infuse weapons on the perimeter next to A.J. Green after the free-agent departures of Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu. Boyd is a smooth route runner who has reliable hands and is underrated after the catch. This pick would ensure QB Andy Dalton continues to be surrounded by talent at the offensive skill positions.

i

56. Seattle Seahawks
Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

This would be a perfect marriage between what Henry brings as a runner and the Seahawks' physical downhill rushing attack as they look for a long-term replacement for Marshawn Lynch.

Watch Henry's highlights

i

57. Green Bay Packers
Joshua Perry, ILB, Ohio State

Perry is NFL-ready with the size, instincts and point-of-attack skills that Green Bay is looking for. This pick would enable the Packers to move Clay Matthews back to OLB, where he makes the most impact as a player.

i

58. Pittsburgh Steelers
Darian Thompson, S, Boise State

The Steelers would continue to upgrade their secondary with this selection. Thomas is one of the more instinctive and ball-hawking safeties in this class. He would immediately push for a starting role next to Mike Mitchell.

i

59. Kansas City Chiefs
Su'a Cravens, S, USC

Husain Abdullah retired and Tyvon Branch signed with Arizona in free agency. Cravens would be a strong fit at strong safety next to Eric Berry. The USC product has the versatility to hold up near the box as a nickel linebacker in sub-package situations.

Watch Cravens' highlights

i

60. New England Patriots
Willie Henry, DT, Michigan

The Patriots need to find depth at DT after releasing Chris Jones and former first-rounder Dominique Easley. Henry is an underrated prospect whose toughness and motor could be appealing to coach Bill Belichick.

Watch Henry's highlights

i

61. New England Patriots*
Alex Lewis, OT, Nebraska

OTs Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer were hit by the injury bug, while Marcus Cannon struggled in relief last season. Lewis is an under-the-radar prospect whose versatility to line up at both tackle and guard could bring solid value at this point.

*Acquired in trade with Cardinals

i

62. Carolina Panthers
Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

The Panthers did well to re-sign Charles Johnson at a reduced price, but after the retirement of Jared Allen, they have a big void to fill at the DE position. General manager Dave Gettleman covets depth in the trenches and could use his first two picks on D-linemen, similar to what he did in 2013, when he took Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short with his first two picks.

Watch Ogbah's highlights

i

63. Denver Broncos
Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois

Denver looks to fill the void left by the departure of Malik Jackson along the defensive line. Although a bit raw, Ward brings a similar size/power/athleticism combination, along with interior pass-rushing upside, to take advantage of the attention garnered by edge rushers Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware.

Watch Ward's highlights

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
5-on-5: Should the Clippers make big moves, or give it one more try?

The Los Angeles Clippers face an offseason full of questions after injuries derailed their playoff run.

Where does Lob City go from here? Is it time to break up the Clippers' core?

Our NBA Insiders go 5-on-5 on the future of the Clippers.

1. What do you foresee and advise for the Clippers this offseason?
Kevin Arnovitz, ESPN.com: The biggest upgrade needed is asset management and acquisition -- there's not even a little wiggle room on the Clippers' spreadsheet. They own Jeff Green's Bird rights and I suspect they'll pay him and throw the mid-level exception at a third-tier free agent or use it to re-sign their bench free agents like Wes Johnson. The realistic route would be to fill out roster spots No. 5-10 more selectively than they have in recent years.

Amin Elhassan, ESPN Insider: My advice is to get a real GM. But what I foresee: They'll look for some also-ran players who once played for team president Doc Rivers or played well against him (or played in his driveway). That's who they'll target.

Tom Haberstroh, ESPN Insider: I'm guessing Doc Rivers will continue to sign big-name, over-the-hill veterans to fill out the roster, but I'd veer in the other direction and start investing in some youth like the San Antonio Spurs andMiami Heat have done. It's staggering that the only guy who's younger than 25 in the rotation is the coach's son.

Andrew Han, ESPN.com: Consistency, consistency, consistency. The Clippers have done well to keep their core together, but the bench has been turned over each of the past three seasons. L.A. should seek to retain the majority of its roster, look for one or two additions and spend the bulk of its offseason buttressing the front office and training/development staff. They also should set a plan to create a Clippers-controlled D-League franchise.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider: I'd probably advise putting all the Clippers' energy toward finding a legitimate 3-and-D wing to fill out their starting five before searching for the same kind of value players they found to fill their bench this season. Most likely, the Clippers will play over the cap and re-sign guys like Jeff Green and Austin Rivers before deciding whether to use their mid-level exception to add a free agent or re-sign players like Cole Aldrich and Wes Johnson.

2. For several years, there has been talk of breaking up the Clippers. What is your take on this idea?
Arnovitz: If you break it up, what exactly are you getting in return? As currently constituted, let's say the Clippers have a 10-15 percent chance of getting where they want to go. Not great, but a puncher's chance. If detonating yields a series of deals that moves that number to 20 percent, go for it. But if there's little value in return, they're probably better off playing the 7-to-1 or 8-to-1 odds.

Elhassan: If you look at the four-man combination of Chris Paul, J.J. Redikk, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan, they've consistently ranked among the top lineups in the league in plus-minus and net rating. The idea that the Clippers need massive changes is overblown. What they need is competent cap management, good free-agent signings, better minor league evaluation and better player development. In short, all the things you need to correctly fill out your supporting cast.

Haberstroh: Rather than use the major injuries as a reason to detonate the roster, I'd keep it together for the same reason: Things happen and you have to be ready to capitalize when luck falls your way. Injuries can happen to anyone, but not everyone has the talent to win a championship. Keep the big three together.

Han: There's essentially no scenario where the Clippers can net fair value for any of Chris Paul, Blake Griffin or DeAndre Jordan at this point. And frankly, the fact that their postseason has been mired in playoff woe clearly indicates there's still potential untapped in this squad. You don't trade truffles for a carton of chips just because you haven't perfected the recipe.

Pelton: I think the Clippers' injuries (and Steph Curry's) actually make the strongest case against breaking up their core. As long as you're in the mix, things can happen in the playoffs. And I wouldn't be in a hurry to throw that opportunity away unless I could get a better player, a true younger talent or a similar talent on a better (read: longer) contract.

3. If the Clippers move one of the big three, who should it be?
Arnovitz: If the Clips ultimately decide blowing up the roster is the right thing to do, they might want to look at dealing Paul. By retaining their two 27-year olds, they could stay young and bide their time while reloading. And Paul is precisely the kind of veteran star a "one-player-away" team would offer value for to go all-in next season. All that said, it's nearly impossible to get full value for a top-10 player.

Elhassan: Depends on what brings back the biggest and best haul. For example, if OKC native Blake Griffin can be used in a Durant sign-and-trade, obviously that's the way you go. But absent that sort of manna from heaven, it probably makes a lot more sense to trade Paul -- the eldest of the big three -- and try to keep the window of opportunity open.

Haberstroh: I just said keep the core together! All right, fine, I'll bite. If I trade someone, it's DeAndre Jordan. He'd return the most value considering he wouldn't be a one-year rental like Griffin and Paul. Also, it'd force Griffin to commit to playing the five, where the Clippers might need him anyway.

Han: If push comes to shove, CP3 should be the one moved. Paul will be 31 at the start of next season and, even if he'd return less than Griffin or Jordan, trading one of them probably wouldn't keep L.A. in a position to win now. And Paul has no time to fiddle with a roster not actively in contention.

Pelton: If the Clippers are trying to maximize their chances of winning next year, Griffin, since the team has shown the ability to win without him and could get the kind of secondary creator necessary to play without him against elite competition in return. If they're instead trying to maximize their chances of winning in the next five years, Paul is the choice given his high value and age.

4. Austin Rivers has a player option. If he becomes a free agent, what will and should the Clippers do?
Arnovitz: They should evaluate the market for available point guards and see if they can do better within the constraints of their cramped cap situation (e.g. Mario Chalmers). If they can't, the Clippers can probably get Rivers at a better than market value deal.

Elhassan: The Clippers should do better -- much better. There might be a good 20 minimum-salary players I'd rather have, and half of them were in the D-League. But knowing Doc's Decision Tree, Austin will be back and at a higher salary slot. Welcome to the Clippers!

Haberstroh: Awkwaaaard. If the Clippers overpay (anything over an annual $5 million in my opinion), then every player in that locker room will be looking at the head coach sideways. Rivers has never posted a 12 PER, and ranks 67th in real plus-minus ... among point guards. I'd let him walk if he wants a big bump from his $3.3 million option.

Han: Seeing as the Clippers hold Rivers' Bird rights, they should and will retain the young guard. Under the assumption L.A. stays over the cap, a three-year, $15 million contract with the second and third year non-guaranteed would probably be best. That would be a similar cap percentage to his current salary and it gives the team the contract flexibility to use in transactions moving forward.

Pelton: They should be excited he opted out of the deal. Despite the good moments Rivers had this season, he still rated below replacement level and is unlikely to improve much more after four NBA seasons.

5. If the Clippers were a stock and you were looking ahead five years, would you buy, sell or hold?
Arnovitz: Hold. Jordan is still improving, as was Griffin at full health -- and both are 27. Paul and J.J. Redikk are both aging very well. And the team finished top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency. The failure has occurred at the margins of the roster, which is correctable.

Elhassan: Sell. Absent a different voice in management who can not only say "no" to Doc, but can also influence him to develop younger players not related to him and give them a chance, the Clippers will continue to underachieve and their talent will start to dwindle as Paul and Redikk age.

Haberstroh: Sell. Griffin's quad injury is a concern for a player so dependent on explosiveness, and the roster has no youth around him, nor is there any indication that Doc Rivers can identify talent in the draft. I'd give it one more go and then trade Paul to LeBron James' team. Wherever that may be.

Han: Hold. The Clippers are one of the few teams perennially in the conversation for contention. More important, we've yet to see tech-billionaire owner Steve Ballmer's influence on the basketball side of the franchise. And deep pockets coupled with analysis typically means positive things.

Pelton: Hold. The glass half-empty view is that the Clippers have an aging core group and are already out a couple of future first-round picks due to short-sighted trades. The glass half-full version is that the Clippers still have two stars in their 20s and should remain a premier destination for free agents as long as they're competitive thanks to the L.A. market (and possibly the Lakers' mismanagement).