Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
How many NBA lottery picks will Kentucky have this year?

Chad Ford:
As usual, Kentucky has a number of high-profile NBA draft prospects. With the Wildcats' season ending on Saturday, it's time to assess how their NBA futures are shaping up. And that includes a potential top-three pick in the NBA lottery.

More than any other college, Kentucky has dominated the NBA draft over the past few seasons. They've had 14 first-round picks in the last five drafts, including a whopping four lottery picks last season.

This year has been a bit of a disappointment and the Cats were just eliminated in the second round of the tournament.

At least two of their players look like locks to enter the NBA draft. A couple of others are on the fence. Kevin, who do you think is the best NBA prospect on this team?

Kevin Pelton: Intriguingly, if we go strictly by the numbers, my WARP projections suggest Tyler Ulis is a slightly better prospect than backcourt-mate Jamal Murray. There's a reason, however, that adding a player's ranking on your Big Board improves the quality of projections. The stats can't entirely capture the effect of Ulis' small stature.

Given that, I don't think there's much question that Murray is Kentucky's best NBA prospect. He ranks third among college prospects in my scouting-informed projections behind the consensus top two picks, Ben Simmons and Brandon Ingram. Murray's shooting ability alone should make him an effective offensive player, and if he develops as a playmaker, he could become a star.

I know in the past scouts worried about Murray's athleticism. Has his freshman season answered those questions or do they still persist?

Ford: He's the top Kentucky prospect on my board as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a top-five pick and the first guard off the board.

While I agree that in theory Ulis is a better basketball player, his lack of size lowers his draft stock.

I think Murray has actually shown to be a better athlete than we thought coming out of high school. He's not super explosive or quick, but I think he is explosive and quick enough to play in the NBA. Combine that with a killer jump shot, a high basketball IQ and the ability to carry a team offensively when he wants to, and I think he's got a very bright future.

If teams are convinced Murray really is a point guard, then his stock even goes higher, in my opinion. But if he ends up just being a 2-guard along the lines of Brandon Roy or Joe Johnson, I still think he's going to be really good in the NBA.

The big question for scouts is who comes next among Kentucky prospects. There are really two options here: Skal Labissiere, who has all the physical tools NBA scouts are looking for, and Ulis, who has all the basketball tools scouts want.

Which would you take next? And just as importantly, where would you take them?

Pelton: Ulis, no question. According to Sports Reference, he was in the NCAA's top 10 this season in offensive box plus-minus, and one of three underclassmen in that group (Murray and Duke's Grayson Allen were the others).

And Ulis did that despite a down season from 3-point range. He improved his midrange game to make nearly half of his 2s even though his size is an issue finishing in the paint. That skill will serve him well in the NBA.

As I said, my WARP projections have him as a fringe top-10 prospect. I doubt he'll get that high and, given the issues his size will present on defense, he probably shouldn't.

But I do think he's a top-20 pick. Do you see him ending up that high?

Ford: A week ago, when John Calipari announced Ulis would go pro, I said I thought he'd go 20 to 30. However, with the weakness of this point guard crop -- especially after late fades by Wade Baldwin and Demetrius Jackson -- I think he might go higher. After Murray and Kris Dunn are off the board, I'm not sure there's a better choice.

I know you like Baldwin a lot, but I have a lot of questions given how bad Vanderbilt was this season. I'm also very intrigued by Washington freshman Dejounte Murray. His size and upside are tremendous.

But Ulis going 12 to 20? I don't think I'd have an issue. He's such a great competitor and the way he manages a game reminds me so much of a young Chris Paul, although Ulis' small stature keeps him from being a CP3-level prospect. If Ulis was three to four inches taller, I think he'd be a top-five pick in this draft.

That said, I'm on the fence about whether I'd put Ulis ahead of Labissiere. Labissiere has the size and skill set to be a terrific stretch-4 in the league someday.

I know, with the exception of a very small handful of games, he's been awful. He has shown zero toughness and has been a poor rebounder.

But NBA teams seem to be pining for big men who can shoot and protect the rim. Those guys don't come along very often.

I know you are much more skeptical given the pathetic numbers posted by Labissiere. What are your concerns and where's a realistic place in the draft where the reward outweighs the risk?

Pelton: Well, let's start with the fact that he wasn't even on the court for the final minutes of Kentucky's loss to Indiana despite Thomas Bryant's massive size advantage over Marcus Lee. At the most important point of the season, John Calipari didn't consider Labissiere one of his five best players.

Sometimes there's a tendency to talk about statistical projections like some kind of alchemy. Certainly there are some skills, like steal rate, that tend to be valued more than conventional wisdom. But for the most part, the guys the stats like -- including Ulis, the SEC player of the year -- are simply the ones who are good at playing basketball right now. Over the course of his freshman season, Labissiere just wasn't that good at playing basketball, at least by lottery pick standards.

Overall, Labissiere averaged 15.8 minutes per game. That would be the second-lowest of any player in my database the season before they were drafted. Only Daniel Orton (13.2), also a UK center, saw less action. Of course, Orton had a pretty good excuse, seeing as he was backing up DeMarcus Cousins. Labissiere didn't have that kind of competition for minutes.

There were still things to like about Labissiere's season. I think he protected the rim better than people expected, swatting better than 10 percent of opponents' 2-point attempts. That's a good sign for his ability to play center when he bulks up.

But Labissiere's 2-point percentage (52 percent) was disappointing for a college big man and his defensive rebounding was a major weakness. His projected defensive rebound percentage (17.3 percent) would be below average for a power forward (19.9 percent), let alone a center (23.2 percent). And it's not like Labissiere was competing with teammates for boards -- Kentucky was poor as a team on the defensive glass.

Where the upside outweighs the risk probably depends on the team. It might make sense for a team like the Toronto Raptors with plenty of young talent and appetite for a star to take Labissiere in the lottery. Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking him in the top 20 picks.

Ford:I totally understand why Labissiere is a statistical dud for all the reasons you outlined. And it's not like scouts were seeing something different. He was generally awful.

That said, Labissiere was so good at last year's Nike Hoop Summit. Calipari rightfully tried to toughen him up early and force him to play in the post. Karl-Anthony Towns, who was also a perimeter player in high school, responded in a big way. Labissiere? Not so much.

And I think when Cal started letting Labissiere play in the high post and when he started hitting 15-footers, I could see a future for him. He won't be a rebounder. He won't tough it out in the post. But could he play like Channing Frye?

I could see that and we just didn't have the data this year to really see him operate that way. If Dakari Johnson had stayed at Kentucky, I think we would've seen a different Skal.

So I think Labissiere is still worth the gamble as a 10 to 20 pick, though I hope he returns to Kentucky, gets stronger, gets his confidence back and allows us to re-evaluate him in a year. More than any prospect on out Big Board, I really feel he desperately needs another year at Kentucky.

After those three, any other UK prospects that stand out to you? Isaiah Briscoe? Marcus Lee? Alex Poythress? Someone else?

Pelton: Would you call me crazy if I told you Derek Willis? I'm always intrigued by 6-foot-9 guys who shoot 44 percent from 3-point range, though I doubt Willis can guard a position in the NBA.

The rest of those players project well below replacement level by my metric. Briscoe is a total non-shooter, Poythress not skilled enough offensively for a four-year player and Lee not well-rounded enough. Will Briscoe or Lee declare?

Ford: I will forever remain intrigued by Poythress because of the elite athletic skills. But my hopes that he would transition into a 3-and-D energy guy have never really materialized. Briscoe is a terrific physical defender, but his shooting woes and questions about his point guard skills make him a second-round pick at best. Lee has always been intriguing because of his athleticism and length. But he just hasn't progressed enough to warrant a pick.

So instead of those guys, maybe it is Willis. While he really hasn't been on the NBA radar and isn't in our Top 100, I wouldn't be surprised if Willis were the next Wildcat off the board. He's tall and he can shoot. That gets you a look.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NBA's top 15 players: Predicting all three All-NBA teams

The All-NBA team represents elite status, and there's a lot at stake -- a lot more than usual -- when it comes to the voting this season.

LeBron James has a chance to make the first team for the ninth consecutive season, joining Karl Malone and Larry Bird as the only players to do so since the ABA-NBA merger. With Kevin Durant healthy and Kawhi Leonard emerging as a candidate, however, LeBron is no sure thing.

The historical legacy of James' spot pales in comparisons to the financial implications for Anthony Davis. Because of the so-called Derrick Rose rule, Davis has approximately $24 million on the line based on whether he makes one of the All-NBA teams and qualifies to make a larger percentage of the salary cap during his five-year extension that kicks in next season.

Will James make first team? Will Davis make any of the three? I put together a model of what has mattered to All-NBA voting in the past to help answer those questions and more.

What predicts All-NBA voting
Last month, I looked at past MVP voting trends to see whether Stephen Curry might become the NBA's first unanimous MVP. Unsurprisingly, the three factors that helped explain MVP voting (a player's wins above replacement player, or WARP; team record; and points per game) have also been key in All-NBA voting over the past five seasons.

However, I found that two things improved the model's explanatory power. The first is games played, and that's important for Davis now that his season is over after 61 games due to impending surgery on a knee and a shoulder.

Here's the interesting thing: After we account for value provided using WARP, playing fewer games is actually a positive. The results suggest that where MVP voting is almost exclusively about value, voters tend to favor players who were more dominant in shorter seasons (think DeMarcus Cousins last year) when picking their All-NBA teams.

The other factor that comes into play for All-NBA voting might ultimately determine Davis' fate. The numbers show that centers have tended to get about 11.4 percent more of available votes than guards and 12.8 percent more than forwards over the past five years given equivalent production.

That makes sense when you look at the voting results. Though the NBA has relaxed its rules about where players are eligible on the ballot, the inability to pick between two positions as at guard and forward means the weakest All-NBA votes by far go to centers -- particularly during an era with few dominant players at the position.

Let's take a look at what the model says about this season's voting by position.

Guards: Will Harden get bumped to third team?
MVP Stephen Curry joined James as unanimous All-NBA first team picks last season, and the model suggests he'll repeat that honor with Russell Westbrook alongside him.
Top candidates
Player WARP Proj. Vote%
S. Curry 23.9 1.000
R. Westbrook 20.6 .806
K. Lowry 18.5 .657
J. Harden 17.0 .650
C. Paul 17.3 .537
D. Lillard 13.3 .439
K. Walker 13.1 .328
K. Thompson 7.4 .317
I. Thomas 11.5 .283
D. DeRozan 7.8 .232
J. Wall 12.8 .230
J. Butler 10.3 .225

The more interesting choice is for spots on the second team. The formula goes with Kyle Lowry and James Harden, but it would be surprising if voters snubbed Chris Paul. In this case, Paul probably gets extra credit for the Clippers' success because of how he has led the team in Blake Griffin's absence.

That would leave Harden fighting for a spot with Lowry, the best player on a Toronto Raptors team fighting for first place in the Eastern Conference. I wouldn't be surprised if voters favored Lowry over Harden due to the latter's indifferent defense and Houston's disappointing season. That would be a steep demotion, although a deserved one, given that Harden joined Curry on the first team last season.

The last All-NBA spot will probably go to Damian Lillard, who is also eligible for a Rose rule boost to his salary next season and beyond if he makes an All-NBA team. As part of his extension with the Portland Trail Blazers, Lillard agreed to cap his possible salary at 27.5 percent of the cap, according to BasketballInsiders.com, which means a difference of approximately $12 million in future salary if he's chosen All-NBA.

Prediction

First team: Stephen Curry | Russell Westbrook
Second team: Chris Paul | Kyle Lowry
Third team: James Harden | Damian Lillard

Forwards: Three stars for two spots
James, Durant and Leonard are all among the NBA's five best players, but because they happen to play the same position, one of them will end up on the second team.
Top candidates
Player WARP Proj. Vote%
K. Durant 18.0 .811
L. James 17.2 .695
K. Leonard 17.4 .695
P. George 13.0 .361
P. Millsap 14.0 .262
A. Davis 11.2 .248
D. Green 11.3 .244
L. Aldridge 8.6 .226

The model suggests James and Leonard are about equally likely to be the odd man out, with Durant closer to a lock because of his superior scoring average. My guess is Durant and James will edge out Leonard because of their longer track records as elite superstars.

The other forward spot on the second team probably belongs to Draymond Green, who's ideally suited to outperform his projected vote total. Most of Green's value lies at the defensive end, so while his WARP is good, it can't compare to his outstanding rating in ESPN's real plus-minus (Green ranks third among all players). RPM doesn't explain as much of past votes as WARP, but in this case voters will surely value Green's two-way contributions to the league's best team.

That leaves Davis battling for a third team spot at forward with Paul George and Paul Millsap. As of now, Davis is slightly ahead of George in WARP. However, he won't add to that total while George and Millsap continue to improve theirs.

(The chart projects final totals under the assumption players will miss one of their team's remaining games.)

Add in that they both play for playoff teams and George and Millsap look like favorites, with LaMarcus Aldridge a long shot to claim a spot and Davis probably on the outside looking in.

Prediction

First team: Kevin Durant | LeBron James
Second team: Kawhi Leonard | Draymond Green
Third team: Paul George | Paul Millsap

Centers: Does Davis belong?
Davis received votes at both positions last season, and there's a good case that he should be considered a center and not a forward.
Top candidates
Player WARP Proj. Vote%
D. Cousins 11.8 .460
A. Davis 11.2 .376
H. Whiteside 14.6 .329
D. Jordan 13.6 .285
A. Drummond 12.7 .257
P, Gasol 11.8 .248

According to NBAwowy.com, Davis played 1,173 of his 2,164 minutes -- 54 percent -- without one of the Pelicans' other center options (Alexis Ajinca, Omer Asik and Kendrick Perkins) alongside him.

Compared to centers, Davis' case is much stronger. Just two centers, Whiteside (12.0) and Jordan (11.3) have accumulated more WARP thus far. And Whiteside's All-NBA case isn't as strong as his WARP because the Heat haven't benefited from his presence as much as his box-score stats would suggest. Whiteside's plus-1.0 RPM is far worse than Davis' plus-2.7 mark.

If Davis is considered a center, I think he and Cousins would battle for the first team spot with DeAndre Jordan, Andre Drummond and possibly Pau Gasol in contention for a place on the third team.

Prediction

First team: DeMarcus Cousins
Second team: Anthony Davis
Third team: DeAndre Jordan

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Do Not Draft list: catchers, closers, CarGo

The truth about a do not draft list, at least to me, is that a smart fantasy owner would draft pretty much anyone if the cost were right. The problem is the cost often isn’t perceived to be right. When we say cost, it could mean a certain round in a draft or auction dollars, but ultimately it comes down to value. The players on this annual list for me can still be productive and awesome and important cogs in the fantasy machine, but probably will not end up on my teams because of how I value them in relation to how others do. Thus, I do not draft them.

That written, some of the same names keep showing up on my list each season for various reasons. Either they continue to underperform in relation to expectations, without it becoming obvious in public perception, or the position scarcity thing takes over the conversation and people panic and want the best options at several spots, even when history tells us it’s far from necessary. Hey, at least awesome lefty Clayton Kershaw is no longer on my list. I always realized his greatness, but wouldn’t take him in the first round. Now the value of aces has risen and I would.

Regardless, here are players who do make my personal do not draft list, and let’s make it clear how it’s not really “personal” at all. I like these players, in theory. I might not like their value when compared to others, and I’ll aim to explain this. Look, we’re not breaking bread with these guys. We’re constructing fantasy teams. Throw out personal feelings about good guys and bad guys and get to the statistics, because after value that’s what it comes down to. And for these guys, I just don’t see it. Let’s use the ESPN average live draft results to guide us.

i

Buster Posey, C, San Francisco Giants

ESPN ADP: 28.5

Really, this fellow continues to amaze in his production and durability, and I don’t have concerns except when it comes down to comparing how others view him for fantasy-relevant statistics. That’s really all it is. Posey has an ADP of 28.5 in ESPN live drafts. He’s projected for 19 home runs and 88 RBIs. Pretty good, right? The hitters going directly after him in ADP are Chicago White Sox third baseman Todd Frazier, Detroit Tigers outfielder J.D. Martinez, Cincinnati Reds first baseman Joey Votto and Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Starling Marte. They’re each projected for better numbers than Posey. I’ll just get my catcher later -- much later. You don’t get the advantage you think when selecting Posey that early, and it's not even close. I used to compare this to New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski in football, and it still mostly works. Get the best players early, not the ones at perceived scarce positions.

i

Kenley Jansen, RP, Los Angeles Dodgers

ESPN ADP: 54.8

Let him represent the top tier of closers, if you will, going foolishly in the sixth round, per ADP. One can certainly win a league choosing a relief pitcher as their sixth or seventh player, but it makes it more difficult. Personally, I don’t even have Jansen as the top closer off the board. He’s terrific, but Kansas City Royals right-hander Wade Davis is clearly better. Davis in the past two years: a 0.97 ERA in 139 1/3 innings, with 187 strikeouts. Jansen’s ERA is 2.60 in that span, with a slightly better K rate. They’re both getting saves now. In the end, it doesn’t matter; I won’t get Davis, either. Or Craig Kimbrel. Or any closer in the first 10 rounds. It’s just not a good use of resources. Saves are always out there in free agency because generally half of all teams are forced to use more than one full-time closer. Use your sixth-round pick on Adam Jones or Stephen Strasburg. I’ll cease discussion of closers from here on out because after Round 12 or so, it’s just about the saves -- and they’re not difficult to find.

i

Carlos Gonzalez, OF, Colorado Rockies

ESPN ADP: 53.3

A year ago we were concerned mainly about durability and a rebuilding organization potentially trying to trade him. Today nothing has really changed except his banner 2015, which isn’t predictive at all. Remove Coors Field as his home park and things really change. CarGo was hitting .259 with 13 home runs at the All-Star break. Then he exploded, without warning. He bashed 40 home runs, 27 in the second half, 35 off right-handers and 24 at home. I just don’t see any of that as repeatable, and by the way, despite the fact that he played in 153 games last season, that type of durability seems unrepeatable as well.

i

Kyle Schwarber, C/OF, Chicago Cubs

ESPN ADP: 59.2

There’s no doubt the kid can hit for power and it sure looks as though he’ll get enough time at catcher keep qualifying there for next year but ... this is a team with major depth and I think Schwarber gets drafted too generously because of the catcher thing. I don’t think it’s a given he gets to 500 plate appearances, as he’s also a defensive liability and doesn’t hit left-handed pitching well. And by the way, if he hits “only” .250 or so with 20 home runs, does it make him special? Aren’t other guys doing this? I’m waiting at catcher.

i

Jason Heyward, OF, Chicago Cubs

ESPN ADP: 67.5

By the way, I do think the Cubs will win the National League Central. But Heyward isn’t what people think he is for fantasy purposes, where the amazing defense isn’t relevant. He last topped 14 home runs four seasons ago. His career batting average is .268. I don’t assume he’ll steal 20 bases every year, and he likely won’t score a ton of runs hitting fifth or sixth in this order, as the Dexter Fowler signing pushed him down. As a pure offensive provider, he was barely a top-20 outfielder on last year’s Player Rater and seems like a reach in the seventh round unless you think major blossoming is ahead. OK, so that’s two-thirds of the Chicago outfield on my list. I think Fowler is a tremendous bargain after Round 20, which is his ADP. In relation to Heyward, get bigger production from someone else and wait to grab Fowler.

i

Freddie Freeman, 1B, Atlanta Braves

ESPN ADP: 73.6

Even if he had two healthy wrists, which he pretty clearly does not, Freeman is not the power threat he’s made out to be. He has never hit as many as 24 home runs in a season. He has knocked in 100 runs once, and he’s sure not surrounded by much in this Braves lineup. And oh yeah, his wrist is still messed up from last year. I’m not saying your first baseman has to hit for more power, but if I can wait another 70 picks for Lucas Duda or Mark Teixeira, or even longer for Carlos Santana, I’m doing it. By the way, Giants first baseman Brandon Belt is in the same boat. You’re not getting the power you think from a top-100 pick. Perception affects ADP so much.

i

Corey dikkerson, OF, Tampa Bay Rays

ESPN ADP: 113.8

He wouldn’t be on this list if the Rockies had kept him. I liked him in Coors Field. However, his 12th round ADP just doesn’t add up for what is expected. dikkerson’s home/road splits are significant, and there’s a strong likelihood he gets platooned in Tampa. He’s a 20-homer, 80-RBI guy, which is fine for the 20th round, but that’s not where he’s being selected.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Billy Hamilton, OF, Cincinnati Reds

ESPN ADP: 119.6

He has come to the plate more than 1,000 times in the major leagues and his career on-base percentage is a brutal .287. Oh sure, he can run like the wind and it wouldn’t shock me if another 50-steal season is pending, but it also wouldn’t be a surprise if the Reds just stop using him. Jose Peraza can get on base more. Just about anyone can. Hamilton hits way too many fly balls and oh, his shoulder is injured. He’s just not that good and we have enough evidence to prove it. The category he provides is certainly influential, especially when stolen bases haven’t been so rare since the Jimmy Carter presidency, but Hamilton does nothing else. In this case, the Player Rater lies. Take Ben Revere and Billy Burns and plenty of other speedsters over him.

i

Jordan Zimmermann, SP, Detroit Tigers

ESPN ADP: 126.4

The change in leagues is going to affect him quite a bit, as it would most everyone, but then throw in the fact he’s coming off a year in which he allowed more home runs than ever and his strikeout rate dropped. I’d take Zimmermann several rounds later, but I’ve got at least 10 pitchers ranked ahead of him who are going later in ADP.

i

Josh Harrison, 2B/3B/OF, Pittsburgh Pirates

ESPN ADP: 159.3

The first thing one notices is that he’s eligible at three spots; while that is helpful, it’s overrated. It doesn’t make up for the fact the numbers he provides are rather ordinary. We figured Harrison wouldn’t match his surprising 2014 in 2015, and he didn’t. But more regression is actually possible. He doesn’t draw walks, doesn’t possess much power and doesn’t steal bases at a good enough rate to keep getting the green light. As a middle infielder in the later rounds, sure, I’ll listen, but he’s going in the 16th round and that’s too early. I’ll take his teammate Jung Ho Kang -- and that’s acknowledging that Kang is starting April on the DL.

i

Yordano Ventura, SP, Kansas City Royals

ESPN ADP: 179.2

I suppose it’s possible he makes great strides in his age-24 year, his third big league season, but a career WHIP of 1.30 seems like a safe baseline. He also seems to leave plenty of starts early for whatever reason: injury, performance or his lack of maturity. Ventura appears to be an example of someone getting drafted generously because everyone gets to see him in October. I’m fine with reaching on Madison Bumgarner, whose numbers warrant the attention. Ventura’s numbers do not.

i

Gio Gonzalez, SP, Washington Nationals

ESPN ADP: 181.9

Still living off his 21-win season of 2012, he hasn’t won 12 games in a season since then because he doesn’t go deep enough into his starts. And oh, that 1.42 WHIP isn’t cool and might not be a fluke. Look elsewhere in the top 200.

i

Melky Cabrera, OF, Chicago White Sox

ESPN ADP: 196.3

We’re getting late enough in the back of the top 200 that there can’t be outright bad picks, but here’s a guy who doesn’t hit for power, doesn’t steal bases and has hit in the .270s two of the past three seasons. He’s not a top-60 outfielder for me. Plenty of others with upside left.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Top-10 Mock Draft: Should Lakers take Simmons or Ingram at No. 1?

What should each team do with a top draft pick? It's time to take a deeper dive into that question with our first top-10 NBA mock draft.

Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton played ESPN's lottery mock draft generator to determine the draft order. The Lakers, Sixers and Pelicans landed in the top three, with the Celtics, Suns and Kings behind them.

Kevin won our coin toss so he's on the clock. Is he adding Ben Simmons or Brandon Ingram to L.A.'s young core?

This mock draft is based on what Kevin and Chad think teams should do -- it's not a prediction.

1. Los Angeles Lakers

20224.jpg

Ben Simmons
LSU
Freshman
Forward

i

Pelton: The Lakers are back, not only keeping their pick but landing the top prize in LSU forward Ben Simmons. I didn't really give much thought to taking Brandon Ingram instead. As we've discussed, Simmons' upside is simply too high.

The Lakers would take him and figure out where he fits alongside their pair of ball handlers (Jordan Clarkson and D'Angelo Russell) and incumbent power forward (Julius Randle) later.

2. New Orleans Pelicans

20256.jpg

Brandon Ingram
Duke
Freshman
Forward

i

Ford: Ingram is a terrific consolation prize and a particularly valuable one to the Pelicans. They need a star to pair with Anthony Davis and a small forward who can really stretch the floor -- Ingram can be both.

Ingram's ability to handle, shoot and post up makes him an ideal frontcourt partner for Davis. And his 7-foot-3 wingspan and quickness allow him to guard three different positions. He needs to get stronger, but New Orleans is one of the very best fits for Ingram. I think he'd help propel them back into the playoffs next season.

3. Philadelphia 76ers (swap with SAC)

i

Jamal Murray
Kentucky
Freshman
Guard

i

Pelton: The Sixers got swap rights for 2016 and 2017 in their trade with the Kings last July. That pays off in this case, as it allows them to slide ahead of Sacramento in the lottery and get their choice of the second tier of prospects.

That's particularly important because it guarantees Philadelphia a shot at Murray, the best guard in the draft.

He would immediately be a huge upgrade on the 76ers' current backcourt options and provide an injection of needed playmaking with more upside than players like Ish Smith and Isaiah Canaan.

4. Sacramento Kings (swap with PHI)

20219.jpg

Dragan Bender
Croatia
Forward/center

i

Ford: The Kings should regret allowing the Sixers to swap picks with them as part of the Carl Landry-Jason Thompson salary dump. But in this case, it's not a total loss. In this situation, despite falling one spot behind Philly, Sacramento would still get the guy I have rated as the third-best prospect in the draft.

Bender is young and a little raw, but he's a legit 7-footer who shoots the 3, protects the rim and plays with an excellent motor. He lacks experience and needs to get stronger, but a handful of scouts feel Bender could be the second coming of Kristaps Porzingis.

Given DeMarcus Cousins' very uncertain future in Sacramento, it might be wise to have his replacement waiting in the wings.

5. Phoenix Suns
20254.jpg

Henry Ellenson
Marquette
Freshman
Forward/center

i

Pelton: Not only is Ellenson the highest-rated available player in my consensus projections, he's also an ideal fit for the Suns. After trading Markieff Morris, Phoenix doesn't have a good young player at power forward and has been starting centers Tyson Chandler and Alex Len together -- hardly a long-term solution as, around the league, power forwards are drifting out to the perimeter.

Ellenson brings the ability to stretch the floor, having made 30 3-pointers as a freshman (albeit at a disappointing 28.8 percent clip), but doesn't sacrifice rebounding like current power forward Mirza Teletovic.

6. Boston Celtics (via BKN)
20328.jpg

Marquese Chriss
Washington
Freshman
Forward

i

Ford: Well, Kevin stole the guy I was hoping to get here and left me with a serious quandary -- production versus upside. Buddy Hield looks like an instant impact player at the next level. The Celtics could really use a player they can trust to get buckets at the end of games. Isaiah Thomas has shown signs of that, but at 5-9, he's too small.

Chriss has more size, length and potential. And it's not as if he had a shabby freshman season. He averaged better than 20 points over his last four games while shooting 50 percent from 3. Athletic 6-9 players who can shoot and block shots don't come along very often and I think Danny Ainge might be the type of GM willing to gamble on him.

7. Minnesota Timberwolves
20148.jpg

Buddy Hield
Oklahoma
Senior
Guard

i

Pelton: Sorry, Chad, you're not getting a second chance at Buddy. Hield's shooting ability is almost tailor-made for a Timberwolves team sorely in need of floor spacing.

Since Zach LaVine has claimed the starting spot at shooting guard, Minnesota needs a backup at the position and Hield could eventually start alongside him if the Timberwolves decide LaVine is better suited at point guard and move on from Ricky Rubio.

8. Denver Nuggets
20060.jpg

Kris Dunn
Providence
Junior
Guard

i

Ford: I was hoping to nab Hield here at No. 8, but of course Kevin broke his own rule about seniors and drafted him seventh. That leaves the Nuggets in an awkward spot.

The best two players left on my Big Board are Jaylen Brown and Kris Dunn. Both replicate the weaknesses of Emmanuel Mudiay. Neither is a great shooter, though Dunn in particular has shot it better lately.

So why take Dunn when you already have Mudiay? He's a better, more creative passer, for one thing. And at his size, Mudiay could play off the ball at the 2.

Most important, Dunn is the best prospect left on the board, and most GMs know better than to reach for need when a great prospect is still available.

9. Toronto Raptors
20221.jpg

Furkan Korkmaz
Turkey
Forward

i

Pelton: The Raptors would ideally get an athletic power forward who can stretch the floor, which means they're hoping to see Chriss slide.

Otherwise, they could take a chance on Kentucky's Skal Labissiere, whom Chad and I discussed last weekend. Alas, it's too risky for me to take a player with a negative projection for wins above replacement player by my model in the top 10, which rules out Labissiere and Brown.

In reality, I'd probably look for a trade.

Short of that, I considered Denzel Valentine as another wing option but ultimately decided Toronto has enough young talent (with an additional first-round pick coming in the 20s) and should draft Korkmaz with an eye toward stashing him overseas for a year or two.

Though my initial draft board didn't include international prospects, Korkmaz's limited Euroleague experience would put him in the top 10.

10. Orlando Magic
20223.jpg

Jaylen Brown
Cal
Freshman
Forward

i

Ford: On pure upside, Brown is a top-five pick. He already has a NBA body and he just looks the part. But his lack of jump shot has really hurt his draft stock, as have his out-of-control drives.

Brown isn't the best fit in Orlando, which has drafted three non-shooters in the last three years: Victor Oladipo, Aaron Gordon and Elfrid Payton. But his upside is enormous. If he starts making shots? Brown's a superstar.

Pelton: I guess I get the last word here. What stands out to me is how few teams in the top 10 need point guards and centers. That could push wings and power forwards higher than they'd rank on pure merit, and it's bad news for Dunn and Utah center Jakob Poeltl.

Poeltl ranks fifth among NCAA prospects in my consensus projections, so he was my best player available each of my last two picks. But neither of those teams needed centers, so Poeltl slid all the way out of the top 10.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
McShay's 2016 NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Predicting the first two rounds

The 2016 NFL draft is now just over a month away, making it a good time to release my fourth mock draft. This one, unlike the three prior, goes two rounds deep.

My tape study of nearly all the top prospects is now complete, and the free-agency frenzy is behind us, so we're dealing with a much clearer picture of team needs. There has also been a change to the draft order in this edition, with the Dolphins and Eagles swapping first-rounders as part of the Byron Maxwell/Kiko Alonso trade.

Let's dive into the picks.

i

1. Tennessee Titans
Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi
The Titans have made it clear they're open to trading the No. 1 overall pick, but general manager Jon Robinson also emphasized last week they would need a substantial offer to do so. If they keep the pick, I could see them going in one of three directions: pass-rusher (Joey Bosa is the most obvious candidate), defensive back (Jalen Ramsey) or left tackle (Tunsil). I'll stick with Tunsil for now. He's the most talented offensive lineman in the draft, and it's a clear need for the Titans, who have to protect the QB better this season after they allowed 54 sacks total in 2015.

i

2. Cleveland Browns
Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
Even if the Browns sign Robert Griffin III or trade for Colin Kaepernick, they still should use this pick on a quarterback. Since returning to the NFL in 1999, Cleveland has had 24 different starting quarterbacks, five more than any other team in the league. Wentz and Cal's Jared Goff are extremely close on my board, with the North Dakota State product slightly ahead. Wentz has the height, sturdy frame, natural accuracy and on-field leadership you look for in a QB.

Editor's note: According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, RG III is in fact expected to sign with Cleveland.

i

3. San Diego Chargers
Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
Defensive line is another need for the Chargers, but with Eric Weddle gone, San Diego will likely look to upgrade its secondary in the draft. Ramsey's ability to play both corner and safety gives him added value to the Chargers, who aren't set at either position. An All-America track-and-field star at Florida State, Ramsey is an extremely rare athlete and one of the best all-around football players in this draft.

i

4. Dallas Cowboys

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State

If I was running the Cowboys, I'd draft a quarterback. With Tony Romo turning 36 this offseason, now is the time to start planning for the future at the game's most important position. But this is a projection, and all indications are that Dallas will pass on a QB at No. 4. I wouldn't rule out RB Ezekiel Elliott, even after Dallas signed Alfred Morris earlier this week, but the Cowboys have a more dire need at pass-rusher. Yes, I know Bosa doesn't have elite speed off the edge, but he has shown the ability to be dominant -- even when fighting through double- and triple-teams. He has been the top player on my board since August.

i

5. Jacksonville Jaguars
Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
The Jaguars have made a conscious effort to get better on defense this offseason. Next year, they'll add free agents Malik Jackson and Tashaun Gipson -- along with 2015 first-rounder Dante Fowler Jr. (torn ACL) -- to a defense that finished 31st overall in 2015. But the Jaguars still need a playmaker at linebacker, and Jack fits the bill. A true sideline-to-sideline defender, the UCLA product excels in coverage and can make plays all over the field versus the run.

i

6. Baltimore Ravens
DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
The Ravens were unusually aggressive in free agency, signing S Eric Weddle, WR Mike Wallace and TE Benjamin Watson. While OT Ronnie Stanley and RB Ezekiel Elliott would both be in play here, I have a feeling Buckner would be the pick if GM Ozzie Newsome sticks to his best-available strategy. The No. 3 player on our board, Buckner isn't a traditional edge rusher, but he is disruptive against the run and plays with a great motor. He has the skill set to fit in both a 3-4 and 4-3 at the next level.

i

7. San Francisco 49ers
Jared Goff, QB, Cal
There has been a lot of noise around Colin Kaepernick since my last mock draft, with the 49ers exploring trade options. As of now, he's still on the roster, but the position is far from settled. If Goff -- or Wentz -- is still on the board at No. 7, you'd have to think San Francisco would at least consider pulling the trigger. A QB with Goff's skill set -- natural accuracy, good anticipation and a smooth release -- would fit nicely within Chip Kelly's offense.

i

8. Philadelphia Eagles*
Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
Jason Peters is 34 years old. It's time for the Eagles to consider teaming Lane Johnson up with a younger tackle on the opposite side. Stanley has experience playing both left and right tackle. With his long arms (35½ inches) and athletic skill set, he has the ideal makeup to eventually develop into a blindside protector at the next level. If he went to Philly, Stanley would get the benefit of not being thrust into left tackle duties from Day 1.

*Acquired in the Byron Maxwell/Kiko Alonso trade

i

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida

Hargreaves isn't a true speedster (4.50 40-yard dash at the combine), but he wins in coverage thanks to his exceptional quickness, fluidity and ball skills. Even though he's just 5-foot-10, Hargreaves' leaping ability (39-inch vertical jump) helped him snag 10 interceptions in college. The Bucs can never have too many cover guys playing in their division, and drafting Hargreaves would give them the best man-to-man corner in this class.

i

10. New York Giants
Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
The Giants spent a truckload of money in free agency on defensive playmakers -- DE Olivier Vernon, CB Janoris Jenkins and DT Damon Harrison. That's a good start for a team that hasn't drafted a defensive player in the first round since 2011, but the Giants shouldn't stop there. Lawson led the FBS last season with 25.5 tackles for loss, playing with a good mixture of relentlessness, technique and discipline. He also brings great work ethic and intangibles to the table.

i

11. Chicago Bears
Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

Inside linebacker is much less of a need after the Bears picked up Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman in free agency. But even after signing offensive tackle Bobby Massie, Chicago could still look to spend a first-rounder on another OT. Conklin is a plug-and-play starter on either the left or right side of the line, with the long arms (35 inches) and agility to protect the QB. This move would also allow Kyle Long to bump back inside to his natural position at guard and solidify the entire O-line.

i

12. New Orleans Saints
Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
The Saints are in dire need of a defensive tackle who can push the pocket from the inside, and one of Rankins' best attributes is his ability to pressure the QB (14.0 sacks during his last two seasons at Louisville). He has a rare combination of quickness and power, which he showed off during one-on-one pass-rush drills at the Senior Bowl.

i

13. Miami Dolphins*
Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
The No. 5 player on our board, Elliott has the skill set to be an every-down RB from Day 1. He's an exceptional blocker and a threat to catch the ball out of the backfield, while also showing great vision and suddenness in the open field. The Dolphins need some semblance of a run game to take the pressure off QB Ryan Tannehill.

*Acquired in the Byron Maxwell/Kiko Alonso trade

i

14. Oakland Raiders
Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
Ragland is a heat-seeking missile with the toughness to excel as a downhill linebacker. He thrived versus the run at Alabama, but he was never truly unleashed as a pass-rusher. He might have some hidden potential off the edge, possessing underrated speed (4.72 40-yard dash) and athleticism.

i

15. Los Angeles Rams
Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
Case Keenum is penciled in as the starting QB right now, so there's always a chance the Rams will try to trade up to grab one of the top-two passers. But with this being too early for Paxton Lynch and Los Angeles still needing a legit difference maker on the outside, Treadwell is the pick. He's the best pure WR in this class, showing outstanding hand-eye coordination and body control.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

16. Detroit Lions
Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
This is a no-brainer. The Lions need to do a better job of protecting QB Matthew Stafford, who has been sacked 89 times over the past two seasons, and Decker is a starting right tackle from Day 1. He doesn't have a lot of flash to his game, but Decker is one of the steadier offensive linemen you'll study on tape.

i

17. Atlanta Falcons
Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
Lee, a former high-school quarterback, still needs a little refinement as a linebacker, but he has been blessed with an elite combination of speed (4.47 40-yard dash) and athleticism. When he's freed up and doesn't have to take on blocks, Lee displays an upper-echelon closing burst getting to the ball carrier.

i

18. Indianapolis Colts
Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
The Colts need a lot of help in the trenches, so they should hope that one of the top four OTs falls to them. There's a pretty clear drop-off once Decker comes off the board. Not wanting to reach, Floyd is a good second option here. He possesses rare speed and athleticism for his position and would give the Colts a high-ceiling pass-rusher off the edge.

i

19. Buffalo Bills
Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
The Bills could use an edge rusher or an off-the-line linebacker, but the top options at those positions are off the board. Reed isn't a bad backup option. The Alabama product is the most dominant interior run-stuffer in this draft class. Reed won't be a high-impact pass-rusher, but he's a better athlete than you'd think, capable of pushing the pocket with his power and surprising closing burst.

i

20. New York Jets
Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Admittedly, I don't love this pick. It's too early for Lynch, who has a raw skill set and comes from an offense that featured few complex reads. He will need time to adjust to the pro game and is best for a team with a reliable QB already in place. With needs at outside linebacker and offensive tackle, the Jets would have to reach for guys like Noah Spence or Germain Ifedi here if the board fell this way.

i

21. Washington Redskins
Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
Billings has a shorter frame (6-foot-1), but his outstanding combination of quickness, athleticism and power helps him wreak havoc on the interior. This is a dominant and versatile run-defender who would give the Redskins more depth along the defensive front. Additionally, with a need at center, I wouldn't be surprised if Scot McCloughan considered Alabama's Ryan Kelly here.

i

22. Houston Texans
Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
The Texans gave themselves a little freedom in the draft after picking up Brock Osweiler and Lamar Miller in free agency. They need to address the interior of their offensive line at some point in the first three rounds, but Osweiler could use another vertical threat to take pressure off DeAndre Hopkins. Fuller, who blazed a 4.32 40 at the combine, fits the bill. While his hands are a bit inconsistent, the Notre Dame product is a big play waiting to happen.

i

23. Minnesota Vikings
Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
With exceptional leaping ability (41-inch vertical) and huge hands (10 inches), Doctson is the best WR in this class when the ball is in the air. And he shows the speed on tape to create late separation in contested-catch situations. Teddy Bridgewater needs another weapon on the outside after Mike Wallace was sent packing.

i

24. Cincinnati Bengals
Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
Coming from Baylor's spread offense, Coleman still needs work as a route runner. But make no mistake, this is an explosive athlete with game-breaking ability on offense and in the return game. While Coleman is a little undersized at 5-foot-11, he can change directions on a dime, which gives him a lot of upside in the NFL. The Bengals are in dire need of a No. 2 WR after both Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones left in free agency.

i

25. Pittsburgh Steelers
Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
At this point, all 21 players with first-round grades are off the board, so every pick could feel like a slight reach. Apple's tape is good but not elite. While his 4.40 40 speed is a positive, he needs to improve his technique in press coverage. He's a willing participant against the run, which is especially important in the AFC North, and teams will like his long, 6-foot-1 frame.

i

26. Seattle Seahawks
A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
Robinson could last a little longer than expected due to his inconsistent motor and lower-body stiffness. But Robinson's raw ability is undeniable, and he appears unblockable at times. Plus, he comes with great durability, playing in all 43 games during his Alabama career. Any team that takes him in the first round will placing a large bet on its defensive line coach's ability to maximize Robinson's unique skill set.

i

27. Green Bay Packers
Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
At 6-foot-4 and 323 pounds, Butler has good overall strength, explosive upper-body power and above-average mobility for his size. His tape has flashes of Muhammad Wilkerson (Jets), but he needs to improve his consistency as a pass-rusher. With B.J. Raji taking a hiatus from football, the Packers need more depth along the D-line. The good news? There's plenty of depth in this D-line class to find a good option here or in Round 2.

i

28. Kansas City Chiefs
William Jackson III, CB, Houston
The Chiefs need WR help, but there's quite a drop-off once the top four pass-catchers come off the board. With a good frame (6-0, 189 pounds) and elite speed (4.37 40), Jackson is a highly competitive corner who thrives off the challenge of facing the opposing team's No. 1 WR. He showed some playmaking ability with two interceptions returns for touchdowns this season, but he struggles at times when the ball is in the air.

i

29. Arizona Cardinals
Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
Jones is arguably the most naturally gifted DT in this draft, which is saying something, considering I have seven DTs coming off the board in the Round 1 -- and another five in Round 2. A former high school basketball standout, Jones has a rare combination of length, strength and athleticism. If he remains focused, Jones has the potential to develop into a highly disruptive inside presence.

i

30. Carolina Panthers
Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
Standing 6-foot-6, weighing 324 pounds and blessed with incredible 36-inch arms, Ifedi was born to play offensive line. The only times I saw him get beat in pass protection came when he faced elite speed rushers with great hands to negate his long arms. Ifedi's technique, particularly in the run game, could use some work, but his upside is undeniable.

i

31. Denver Broncos
Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Mississippi

Depending on how their quarterback situation shakes out, the Broncos could target Connor Cook here. For now, though, Nkemdiche is an intriguing fit. He has the skill set to play a versatile role within Wade Phillips' defense. He could potentially take over the spot vacated by Malik Jackson. Nkemdiche is a top-10 talent who fell this far because of inconsistent 2015 tape and behavioral concerns.

Note: There will be only 31 picks in the first round of the 2016 draft, with New England's first-round pick forfeited.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Round 2

32. Cleveland Browns: Ryan Kelly, OC, Alabama

A three-year starter, Kelly has the intelligence and technique to overcome his physical deficiencies and succeed at the NFL level. He's our top-ranked interior offensive lineman.

33. Tennessee Titans: Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State

Correa is a dynamic athlete who really gets after the passer. He started all 27 games in his final two seasons at Boise State, racking up 30 tackles for loss 19 sacks and five forced fumbles.

34. Dallas Cowboys: Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State

Cook showed better anticipation as a passer in 2015, but his accuracy was still too inconsistent. He could eventually develop into a starting-caliber QB.

35. San Diego Chargers: Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana

While Spriggs has elite athleticism, he doesn't do the best job of handling power rushers. We have a middle to late second-round grade on him, but I'd be surprised if his upside didn't intrigue a team before then.

36. Baltimore Ravens: Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky

High risk, high reward. Spence has Round 1 talent, but his off-field mishaps -- two drug-related suspensions that forced him to transfer away from Ohio State -- give teams pause.

37. San Francisco 49ers: Cody Whitehair, OL, Kansas State

Whitehair was a four-year starter, and his exceptional awareness is immediately apparent on tape. He needs to continue to improve his lower-body strength.

38. Jacksonville Jaguars: Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Alexander has one of the higher ceilings in this year's cornerback class due to his movement skills and ability to play press-man coverage. Zero interceptions in 27 college starts is a red flag, though.

39. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson

Dodd finished second in the FBS with 23.5 tackles for loss, up from 2.5 the previous season. Was it a one-year fluke or a sign of things to come? We'll find out soon enough, but it appears Dodd is just scratching the surface of his potential.

40. New York Giants: Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

Joseph is one of the more violent and efficient tacklers we've studied in the past five years at the safety position. And he showed improved range in coverage and ball skills in 2015, finishing with five interceptions in four games.

41. Chicago Bears: Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Fuller is an instinctive playmaker in coverage, he's tough against the run and he makes an impact on special teams. If he returns from his ACL injury at full strength, he'd be a steal here.

42. Miami Dolphins: Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

He's an explosive athlete with elite measurables, but that doesn't show up on tape frequently enough. Ogbah needs to play with more consistent effort, improve as a hand fighter and develop more of an plan as a pass-rusher.

43. Los Angeles Rams*: Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

Hackenberg had his best season when playing under current Texans coach Bill O'Brien. He has ideal size, a big-league arm and adequate pocket mobility. But his decision-making must improve.

*Acquired in the Sam Bradford/Nick Foles trade

44. Oakland Raiders: Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State

Bell played in all 42 games during his career at Ohio State, showing natural ball skills and a knack for coming up big in critical moments. He's the best cover safety in this draft class.

45. Los Angeles Rams: Artie Burns, CB, Miami (FL)

Burns' extremely long arms (33¼ inches) and ability to play press coverage give him a lot of upside as a cornerback. He had a career-high six interceptions in 2015 after having just one pick during his prior two seasons.

46. Detroit Lions: Jonathan Bullard, DT, Florida

Bullard has experience playing inside and outside along the D-line. He lacks elite physical tools, but he grows on you the more tape you watch. He's a high-motor player.

47. New Orleans Saints: Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

Smith got as high as No. 2 on my Top 32 during the season before suffering a devastating knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl. How his medical information checks out will determine where he ends up getting selected. When healthy, Smith is one of the best defensive prospects in recent years.

48. Indianapolis Colts: Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford

Coming from Stanford, Garnett is built for a power-run scheme. His pass-protection skills need some refining, but at 6-foot-4 and 312 pounds, he possesses adequate short-area quickness.

49. Buffalo Bills: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma

Shepard is a highly instinctive slot WR with good route-running ability and a history of showing up in big moments. His athleticism was readily apparent at the combine (4.48 40, 41-inch vertical).

50. Atlanta Falcons: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas

At 6-foot-5 and 253 pounds, Henry has the body type to make plays down the seam, and he uses his frame well to shield defenders from the ball in contested-catch situations.

51. New York Jets: Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU

Hawkins projects as a right tackle prospect with near-elite length (34¼-inch arms) and adequate athleticism in pass protection. His technique is still a work in progress.

52. Houston Texans: Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

A massive nose tackle prospect (6-4, 323), Johnson excels against the run. He showed the ability to anchor against double teams at the Senior Bowl.

53. Washington Redskins: Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

Thomas still needs to develop as a route runner, but he has natural ball skills and the ability to develop into a longtime starter on the outside.

54. Minnesota Vikings: Keanu Neal, S, Florida

A physical run defender, Neal comes with very good mental makeup and intangibles. But he doesn't have great playmaking instincts at this point, having tallied just four picks and five pass breakups in two seasons as a full-time starter.

55. Cincinnati Bengals: Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

At the Senior Bowl, Washington showed good first-step quickness off the ball for his size (6-3, 301). He has good range against the run and is disruptive at the point of attack.

56. Seattle Seahawks: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama

This is a straight-line explosive back, and you see it on tape. Henry has a ridiculous size-speed combo, running a 4.54 40 at 247 pounds. His game is really about getting downhill. He's a bulldozer when he gets going.

57. Green Bay Packers: Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina

He's still a work in progress as a blocker, but Adams flashes big-play ability as a pass-catcher down the seam. He's one of the most underrated players in this class.

58. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA

Clark has the quickness and agility to create some disruption in the backfield, and he's nimble enough to execute twists and stunts. After having just one sack in his first 26 games, he added six last season in 13 contests.

59. Kansas City Chiefs: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State

A former QB, Miller has caught on quickly as a WR. He's still not a finished product, but Miller has impressed with his explosiveness and improved route running throughout the postseason process.

60. New England Patriots: Nick Kwiatkoski, ILB, West Virginia

A three-year starter, Kwiatkoski comes with outstanding makeup and leadership skills. He has a chance to add immediate depth to a linebacker corps while contributing on special teams.

61. New England Patriots*: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

Standing just 5-foot-10, Jones lacks prototypical measurables, but he's instinctive, has quality mirror skills and is both physically and mentally tough.

*Acquired in Chandler Jones/Jonathan Cooper trade

62. Carolina Panthers: Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas

Big, thick and country strong, Ridgeway is a load to move up front. While he has the natural ability of a first-rounder, durability issues and conditioning concerns will likely cause him to fall.

63. Denver Broncos: Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois

Ward's tape suggests he's a better run-defender than a pass-rusher, but at the Senior Bowl, he flashed a little in one-on-one drills getting after the quarterback.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Ranking college basketball's top 25 freshmen for 2016-17

In this era of one-and-done players, the 2015-16 college basketball season was an anomaly. Sure, freshmen Brandon Ingram of Duke and Ben Simmons of LSU are likely to go one and two in June's NBA draft -- but this past season was all about the seniors.

Oklahoma's Buddy Hield and Michigan State's Denzel Valentine waged a back-and-forth competition for Player of the Year honors, while Virginia's Malcolm Brogdon, Kansas' Perry Ellis, Indiana's Yogi Ferrell, Iowa State's Georges Niang and Iowa's Jarrod Uthoff all had legitimate All-American cases. The list continues outside the big conferences, too: Kyle Wiltjer (Gonzaga), Jameel Warney (Stony Brook), Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker (Wichita State), Thomas Walkup (Stephen F. Austin). It was great to watch, but sad to see so many terrific careers end over the past few weeks.

There will be far fewer tears around this time next year, as the focus of college basketball will turn back toward the young players. The incoming freshman class is the deepest we've seen in a long time -- plus it's loaded with top-end talent ready to make an immediate impact. Some of the players on this list haven't made their college decisions yet -- but whichever schools they choose will see a significant boost.

You might notice that this doesn't correlate directly to the top 25 players in the ESPN 100; you would be right. While the ESPN 100 is based on a longer-term evaluation, the list below is about the 25 freshmen who will have the biggest impact on the 2016-17 college basketball season:

rn-100_lrg.png

1. Josh Jackson, uncommitted

i

2. Harry Giles, Duke Blue Devils

Jackson isn't our No. 1 player in the ESPN 100 -- and he's not No. 1 in John Gasaway's top 25 players in college basketball next season. Both of those honors go to Giles. As a result, it feels necessary to put these two players together in order to give my explanation.

First, Jackson is the best two-way player entering the college game. He was one of the best defensive players in the country the past couple of seasons, showing an ability to guard multiple positions on the ball and play passing lanes and help defense off the ball. His length and awareness are on another level -- which will help him adapt immediately to the college game. At last month's McDonald's All American game, Jackson played lockdown defense on Jayson Tatum, who might have the best offensive skill set of anyone in the high school game. Moreover, Jackson has a winner's mindset, more than anyone else in the 2016 class. Jackson will get on his teammates and should bring leadership right off the bat.

Then there's fit. Jackson is uncommitted right now, but his final three schools are Michigan State, Kansas and Arizona. All three will be somewhere between five and 15 in most preseason top-25 rankings, regardless of where Jackson decides to go. But Jackson could mean the difference between a second-tier Final Four contender and a top-three preseason ranking and national title contender. He would replace Wayne Selden at Kansas, Valentine at Michigan State and be the perfect Sean Miller type of player at Arizona. Jackson would automatically lift any of these three teams into elite territory toward the top of the national rankings.

Giles is terrific, no doubt. He has been considered the best player in his high school class for several years now, and is a future No. 1 pick contender. But Giles suffered a partially torn ACL in his right knee early November, and while he should be fully recovered from the injury by the time the season begins next season, it's not a lock he will be 100 percent mentally. Remember, Giles tore the ACL, MCL and meniscus in his left knee back in June 2013 -- and he wasn't the same player until well more than one year later. That was a much more severe injury, but two serious knee injuries in the span of 2½ years can be difficult to overcome, both physically and mentally.

We're expecting Giles to be one of the best frontcourt players in college basketball next season. He will obviously start immediately for Duke. But given his injuries and Jackson's ability to single-handedly vault whichever school he chooses into the national title discussion, we're giving the edge to Jackson.

i

3. Lonzo Ball, UCLA Bruins

One of the most unique players to come through high school basketball in a long time, Ball's vision and passing ability have no peer. He'll immediately be the best passer in college basketball -- but the big question is how he will fit with UCLA. Steve Alford plays a drastically different style to Ball's high school and AAU teams, and no one has really seen Ball play anything but an extremely uptempo style. With that said, he separates himself from other guards with his vision, his pinpoint accuracy and his demeanor. Ball never rattles. Expect him to bring much-needed help to the point guard position for Alford.

i

4. Jayson Tatum, Duke Blue Devils

Perhaps the most complete offensive player in the 2016 class, Tatum added another dimension to his game during his senior season. He improved -- and changed -- his outside shot, which was considered a weakness earlier in his high school career. Tatum has excellent midpost and midrange games, and his ability to consistently knock down outside shots really rounded out his arsenal. Tatum can play some four in a smaller lineup, but Amile Jefferson is likely to receive a redshirt and will get the majority of the minutes. As a result, Tatum and Luke Kennard will form a potent wing duo for the Blue Devils next season.

i

5. De'Aaron Fox, Kentucky Wildcats

Whoever plays point guard for John Calipari's team tends to have an enormous impact on the college basketball season -- whether they struggle or excel. Calipari is obviously hoping for the latter with Fox, a blur of a point guard who is more in the mold of John Wall than Tyler Ulis. If Ulis keeps his name in the NBA draft, though, Fox will likely get the ball from Day 1 and run the show. He's one of the best on-ball defenders at his position and gets from one end to the other faster than pretty much any point guard in the country. His jump shot remains a question -- but perhaps the only question. He's a stud.

i

6. Dennis Smith Jr., NC State Wolfpack

Don't forget about Smith. The elite-level point guard tore his ACL in August and decided to enroll at NC State in January to recover while also acclimating himself to the college lifestyle. He didn't suit up this season for Mark Gottfried's program, but he will get all the responsibility he can handle in 2016-17. Cat Barber seems likely to leave for the NBA, Abdul-Malik Abu is testing the waters and Caleb and Cody Martin are transferring -- there are plenty of shots waiting for Smith. He's a tremendous athlete who can get to the rim against nearly any defender and has range on his outside jumper. Expect him to put up big numbers.

i

7. Markelle Fultz, Washington Huskies

When Fultz signed with Washington in November, the Huskies had the makings of one of the most exciting teams in college basketball for 2016-17. Well, that's no longer in play. Freshmen Marquese Chriss and Dejounte Murray are both headed to the NBA, and combined with the departure of senior guard Andrew Andrews, Fultz now has to shoulder all of the load for Lorenzo Romar. He's a smooth guard who can make plays with the ball in his hands or score in a variety of ways. One of the fastest risers over the latter part of his high school career, Fultz's freshman numbers will be among the most impressive in the country.

i

8. Miles Bridges, Michigan State Spartans

Bridges will be one of the biggest matchup problems in the Big Ten next season. He's a strong, left-handed forward who is too athletic and mobile for most big forwards and too powerful for the skinnier wings. Bridges is at his best in transition, where he can use his terrific leaping ability to finish over defenders at the rim, but he's also a good 3-point shooter who can spread the floor or go off the bounce. Moreover, Michigan State needs him to step in right away and play a big role. Valentine is gone and Jackson might be headed elsewhere; Bridges could become the go-to-guy in East Lansing early in his career.

i

9. Bam Adebayo, Kentucky Wildcats

Calipari eventually figured out the personnel for this past season's Wildcats, but they never had someone in the mold of Adebayo. Derek Willis was a player who could stretch the floor, Marcus Lee brought length and shot-blocking, and Skal Labissiere's struggles are well-documented. What they needed was a motor guy who would compete for rebounds for 40 minutes at both ends of the floor. That player is Adebayo. He has a strong upper body and a nose for the ball, and is outstanding running the floor in transition. Adebayo also improved his touch and face-up game as his high school career progressed. Calipari will love to have him in the fold.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

10. Frank Jackson, Duke Blue Devils

Duke has all the pieces to be the No. 1 team in the country next season -- but the Blue Devils need more consistency at point guard. It held them back this past season, although freshman Derryck Thornton showed flashes throughout the campaign. Don't expect Mike Krzyzewski to have to use Kennard or Matt Jones or Grayson Allen to run the show again, though. Jackson will get the ball and bring a different dimension to Duke's offense. He's a strong scoring point guard, has a solid pull-up game and can shoot from the perimeter. While Jackson isn't a pure point guard, he will make the Blue Devils' offense potent.

i

11. Malik Monk, Kentucky Wildcats

Monk will immediately become one-half of the most athletic backcourt in college basketball, alongside Fox. He's a freak athlete who is unstoppable in transition and also possesses deep -- albeit streaky -- range on his jumper. Monk has also improved his ball-handling and playmaking ability and is difficult to handle off the dribble. It will be interesting to see what happens if Isaiah Briscoe returns to Lexington for his sophomore season; Monk and Briscoe can play together on the wing, as they bring vastly different skill sets, but it's something to watch. I'm already excited at the thought of Fox and Monk running a fast break.

i

12. Jonathan Isaac, Florida State Seminoles

After winter rumors of Isaac skipping college to go to the NBA subsided, the talented forward refocused on Florida State and is expected to enroll in Tallahassee for next season. Isaac was one of the fastest risers during the spring of his junior year, and his ceiling is through the roof. He has great length for the small forward position, can block shots and guard multiple positions. Offensively, the 6-foot-9 Isaac can make shots from the perimeter and also go past his man to finish at the rim. He needs to add some strength, but given where he was just two years ago, Isaac's arrow continues to point up.

i

13. Omari Spellman, Villanova Wildcats

The defending national champions are likely to find themselves inside most preseason top-fives, despite losing Ryan Arcidiacono and Daniel Ochefu. Part of the reason is everyone else returns and Jay Wright always has capable role players ready to step into the starting lineup. The other reason is Spellman, a five-star big man who will give the Wildcats a legitimate low-post option. Despite his size, Spellman is skilled enough to step out and make 3-pointers -- as if Villanova needed more shooters. But he gets good position and can finish in traffic. Spellman's conditioning has been a question mark in the past, but Wright won't let it be an issue in college.

i

14. Mustapha Heron, Auburn Tigers

If you're looking for a player who didn't make the McDonald's All American game but will put up huge numbers as a freshman, Heron might be your guy. He's a strong left-handed guard who has found ways to get buckets throughout his high school career. Moreover, Heron will be able to concentrate on scoring next season, with freshman Jared Harper entering the program. There weren't too many better pure scorers than Heron in high school last year, as he's capable of bullying his way to the rim and absorbing contact while finishing. He also improved his outside shot in the past couple years, although it's still a bit streaky.

i

15. Lauri Markkanen, Arizona Wildcats

Markkanen hasn't been seen too much on American soil, but the Finland native could be one of the best frontcourt players in the Pac-12 next season. College coaches who scouted him said he would be a top-20 player in the United States, and one NBA scout said last week he would have been the best big man at the McDonald's All American game (although the group was without Giles, that's still lofty praise). Fortunately for Markkanen, Sean Miller badly needs frontcourt production with Ryan Anderson, Kaleb Tarczewski and Mark Tollefsen leaving and Dusan Ristic the only rotation member coming back. Markkanen will certainly get his chances.

rn-100_lrg.png

16. Terrance Ferguson, uncommitted

Ferguson's development will be something to watch over the next few years. He's an unbelievable athlete with deep range on his jumper and the ability to guard multiple positions due to his length. At the same time, there's a feeling he should make more of a consistent impact while he's on the court. Worst-case scenario, Ferguson is a hyper-athletic three-and-D guy at the next level. Ferguson is uncommitted right now, but Arizona is considered to be the leader. Miller coached Ferguson at USA Basketball, and loved his ability to defend and make shots.

i

17. T.J. Leaf, UCLA Bruins

A top-10 prospect in the ESPN 100, Leaf is hoping -- along with Ball -- to change the current aura around the UCLA program. He's a skilled forward who is good in transition and has nice touch on his face-up shot. Leaf can also post up on the block and score with turnaround jumpers and jump-hooks. Expect Leaf to create matchup problems in Westwood and also complement Thomas Welsh, his future post partner. Both players can score on the block and are highly skilled. With Ball pushing the rock, Leaf will also find ways to score in transition given his ability to run the floor.

rn-100_lrg.png

18. Marques Bolden, uncommitted

Bolden was one of the more impressive players at the McDonald's All American practices, establishing himself as perhaps the best low-post scorer in the class. He can score consistently with his back to the basket, and Bolden's ability to finish with his left hand -- his weak hand -- is second-to-none in 2016. He carves out deep position and knows how to use his body to get leverage despite not being uber-athletic. Duke and Kentucky are both battling for Bolden -- and he could be the missing piece to either team being the preseason No. 1 team in the 2016-17 preseason polls. Both teams could use him.

i

19. Josh Langford, Michigan State Spartans

He might not get as much hype as some of the other five-star prospects, but Langford's ability to score will be needed by Tom Izzo right away. Valentine's do-everything skill set is gone, so the Spartans will need multiple players to help replace him. Moreover, Bryn Forbes is also gone. Langford has a college-ready body for the wing and will bring his slashing, playmaking style to East Lansing. He's a good shooter out to the perimeter, but is at his best when beating his man off the dribble and getting into the paint. Langford loves contact and is a solid passer for a wing player. Izzo will love his defensive versatility as well.