Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

20. Alterique Gilbert, Connecticut Huskies

The thought of Gilbert and Jalen Adams in the backcourt together is enough to get people in Storrs excited. Kevin Ollie teams -- and UConn teams in general -- are at their best when they have multiple ballhandlers and playmakers at the guard position. That fits Gilbert and Adams perfectly. Adams showed throughout the season he needed to be on the court more often for the Huskies, and Gilbert is among the best penetrators in the 2016 class. Both guys love to get into the lane and create for themselves or others, and they also use ball screens effectively. Ollie is going to love his backcourt next season.

i

21. Rawle Alkins and Kobi Simmons, Arizona Wildcats

One of these players will need to see extended minutes right off the bat next season, but it will be interesting to see if both are getting 25-30 minutes. Arizona already returns Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Kadeem Allen at the point guard spot, plus Allonzo Trier and Ray Smith on the wing -- and the possibility of Terrance Ferguson coming into the fold. Simmons is talented enough to beat out both Jackson-Cartwright and Allen at the point, but needs to be more consistent. Alkins is a physical scorer who could also find himself playing the small forward spot if Smith moves to the four in a smaller lineup.

rn-100_lrg.png

22. Jarrett Allen, uncommitted

This ranking is essentially contingent on Allen staying in the state for college. If the Austin native goes to Texas, there are plenty of minutes available for Allen. Shaka Smart loses Prince Ibeh and Cameron Ridley, and Allen could step in immediately at center . If Allen goes to Houston instead, he can be a dominant performer in the American Athletic Conference. Six-foot-10 players like Allen -- long, athletic, mobile -- don't play for the Cougars (or any AAC program) very often, and he could be a program-changer over the next few years. There's a high ceiling to go with his skill set, too.

i

23. Bruce Brown, Miami Hurricanes

Miami is bringing in two impact freshmen next season: Brown and five-star big man Dewan Huell -- but Brown is likely the more college-ready of the two. With James Palmer transferring and the starting backcourt of Angel Rodriguezand Sheldon McClellan running out of eligibility, there are plenty of minutes on the perimeter available as well. Brown is a strong combo guard who is tough to keep out of the lane or slow down in transition, but is also capable of playing off the ball and making 3-pointers. He's also a good defender because of his toughness. He's not a pure point guard, but he'll be able to fill multiple roles for Jim Larranaga.

i

24. Kameron McGusty, Oklahoma Sooners

Hield is gone, so are Isaiah Cousins and Ryan Spangler, meaning Lon Kruger needs to find some replacements for the Sooners. Jordan Woodard returns in the backcourt, while Ohio State transfer Austin Grandstaff is eligible at the semester break -- but McGusty has a major opportunity from the opening practice. At 6-foot-5, he has great size to play either backcourt spot and can certainly be a secondary ballhandler and playmaker alongside Woodard. He makes plays off the dribble and is good in transition. McGusty is also one of the better perimeter defenders in the 2016 class, which will immediately help Oklahoma. The kid constantly stays in attack mode.

i

25. Xavier Simpson, Michigan Wolverines

Once Caris LeVert went down with an injury, Michigan was left without a consistent go-to-guy on the perimeter. Derrick Walton and Zak Irvin are good players, but they could have used a fearless scorer in the backcourt. In steps Simpson. He made big plays throughout his high school career and will bring leadership and toughness to Ann Arbor as a freshman. Walton and Irvin are both back, but John Beilein will have a difficult time keeping Simpson on the bench. He can run an offense, but when the game is on the line, Simpson is not afraid to go get his own shot -- and make it.

Five more: Tony Carr, Penn State; Shamorie Ponds, St. John's; Charlie Moore, Memphis; Carsen Edwards, Purdue; De'Riante Jenkins, VCU

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Sneak peek: Ranking the 2017 NBA draft's top 10 prospects

PORTLAND, Ore. -- More than 100 NBA scouts and GMs attended the Nike Hoop Summit to get a closer look at the 2017 and 2018 NBA draft classes.

I spoke with a number of NBA scouts about which high school players and newly eligible international players made the best impressions here and in the recent McDonald's game.

NBA scouts are very, very excited about the incoming class of college freshmen.

Our ESPN Recruiting gurus have ranked 22 players as five-star prospects. Team USA was one of the deepest and most talented squads in years.

"This year is loaded with some crazy talent," one NBA GM said. "This is the deepest class I can remember in some time. There isn't necessarily a lot of superstar power in the class, but it's very, very deep. I think 20 to 25 of these guys will play in the NBA in some capacity."

And with so many players bolting for the 2016 draft (only two players in our top 30 have indicated they are returning to college), these players are likely to dominate the first round of the NBA draft in 2017.

Based on numerous discussions with scouts in Portland, here's a sneak peek at nine high school players and one international prospect who should be topping our 2017 Big Board.

1. Josh Jackson
i

College: uncommitted
Guard/forward
6-foot-8, 202 pounds

There's no real consensus among NBA scouts about who should be the 2017 No. 1 pick, but Jackson was the player mentioned most often among the scouts with whom I spoke.

2016 NBA draft

Get ready for Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and the 2016 draft with analysis from Chad Ford and other ESPN experts.

It doesn't take long to see why. He's a long, explosive wing who plays with an elite motor and competitiveness on both ends of the floor. He's aggressive without ever being selfish. He can be a relentless driver to the basket, excellent passer (he might even be able to play a little point guard) and defender of at least three positions on the floor.

His jump shot is his biggest weakness right now. If it isn't broken, it needs a lot of work.

He can also be overly competitive at times (think Marcus Smart), which can get him and his team into trouble. But no one wants to win more than him. He's like Michael Kidd-Gilchrist with a more refined offensive game.

He has narrowed down his school choices to Kansas, Arizona and Michigan State, with most folks here thinking he'll likely pick Kansas.

If he does, he should be a perfect fit in Lawrence, and I think he'll have the best chance of hearing his name called first in June 2017. I don't think there's a player in this class with more upside.

McDonald's: 19 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 9-for-11 shooting in 17 minutes
Hoop Summit: 7 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal in 13 minutes

2. Harry Giles

i

College: Duke
Forward
6-11, 222

Giles is the top-ranked player according to our recruiting experts. He would likely have taken the No. 1 spot on this board had he not partially torn the ACL in his left knee last summer. It's his second knee injury in the past two years -- he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus in his right knee in the summer of 2013 -- and that's what worries scouts right now. Everything else is a wow.

He has elite size and length, is an explosive athlete, plays in attack mode on both ends and just has a great feel for the game. He rebounds, blocks shots and defends in the paint and on the perimeter. He needs to get stronger and to develop more of a face-the-basket game, but we're nitpicking here.

If he recovers fully from his injury and has a huge season at Duke, he'll be strongly in the mix for the No. 1 pick. But until scouts see him healthy, it's hard to project him there for right now.

McDonald's/Hoop Summit: did not play due to injury

3. Markelle Fultz

i

College: Washington
Guard
6-5, 186

Fultz is another star in the making, as he's shown the past several weeks.

He's a bit of a late bloomer (he didn't make the varsity squad until his junior season), but, man, has he bloomed. He's got the ability to play both the point and the 2. He's a smooth athlete who can score from anywhere on the floor, almost always plays under control and can rack up the steals.

I heard several scouts here say he's a better version of Kentucky's Jamal Murray. That's a huge compliment. While not the same player, they can do many of the same things well, and many scouts are predicting a huge year for Fultz, much like Murray had at Kentucky.

If scouts are convinced he can play the point in the NBA (and most of them were in Portland), he's got a real shot to be a top-five pick.

McDonald's: 10 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals in 15 minutes
Hoop Summit: 11 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals in 18 minutes

4. Jayson Tatum
i

College: Duke
Forward
6-8, 204

Tatum has some real appeal. He has elite size for his position and an NBA body. He totally looks the part of an elite NBA wing the same way someone such as Rudy Gay or Harrison Barnes does. He has a refined midrange game, gets out into passing lanes on defense and is a beast in transition.

But it feels like there's something missing with Tatum. His lack of a consistent 3-point shot is part of it, but there's also something about his cool demeanor that turns scouts off just a little as well.

Everyone I spoke with said he is a future NBA player, but no one said that it's obvious he'll be a star in the NBA -- thus he's ranked a little lower here than on most recruiting boards.

McDonald's: 18 points, 5 rebounds, 5-for-15 shooting in 23 minutes
Hoop Summit: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals in 17 minutes

5. Jonathan Isaac

i

College: Florida State
Forward
6-9, 200

Isaac was the the real high riser this week. His size, athleticism and versatility to play both forward positions are intriguing. He's one of the rare players who can both protect the rim and stretch the floor, and he even showed some nice awareness as a passer this week.

He is extremely skinny and lacks toughness, and his 3-point shooting needs some polish. But in terms of pure upside, there aren't many guys who can match his ceiling.

McDonald's: N/A
Hoop Summit: 7 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists in 20 minutes

6. Lonzo Ball
i

College: UCLA
Guard
6-5, 195

Ball may be the best pure passer in the projected 2007 draft class. He's the consummate floor general who always seems to make the right pass and doesn't wilt under pressure. He has great size and length for his position. His court vision for his size is phenomenal. He rebounds and can defend multiple positions.

The biggest question marks for him are strength and shooting. While he has a lot of range on his jumper, he has inconsistent shot mechanics.

Scouts are all over the place on which point guards they love the most in this class, but the ones who love Bell think he has Penny Hardaway-type potential.

McDonald's: 0 points, 13 assists, 4 rebounds in 21 minutes
Hoop Summit: N/A

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
7. Frank Ntilikina
France
Guard
6-5, 180

The international squad at the Hoop Summit was a disaster this year. The only player who looked like a lock for the NBA, DeAndre Ayton, won't be eligible until 2018. But that doesn't mean there aren't intriguing international prospects out there for 2017.

Ntilikina is the one with the most buzz. He wowed NBA folks at the Basketball Without Borders camp in Toronto during All-Star Weekend and -- with the possible exception of Bell -- may be the best pure 1 among the crop of talented guards in this year's class.

He has elite size and length with excellent court vision and can get anywhere he wants to on the floor. He also can defend both backcourt positions and has real leadership qualities. He isn't a great shooter, and he doesn't always look to score, but teams are really in love with him.

If he can get even more minutes from his team in Germany next year, he's expected to be the first international player off the board in 2017.

McDonald's/Hoop Summit: N/A

8. De'Aaron Fox
i

College: Kentucky
Guard
6-4, 171

Fox's speed really stands out. He flies up and down the court and is excellent both in transition and when he gets a full head of steam getting into the lane. He has the ability to create his own shot off the bounce and is a creative finisher at the rim.

He's a terrific on-ball defender, too, and while he's not a lights-out shooter, he shot it pretty well in practices here.

He can play a bit out of control at times -- and can be turnover prone -- but he should have a big year in Kentucky and push Fultz, Ntilikina and Bell to be potentially the first point guard off the board.

McDonald's: 2 points, 7 assists, 5 turnovers, 1-for-8 shooting in 22 minutes
Hoop Summit: 9 points, 5 assists, 2 steals in 15 minutes

9. Terrance Ferguson

i

College: uncommitted
Guard
6-7, 186

After looking just solid at McDonald's and in practices, Ferguson exploded in the Hoop Summit, hitting six 3s in about a four-minute stretch in the second quarter. Those who have followed Team USA closely the past few years know he's a favorite of the program.

His shooting, NBA size, length and athleticism for his position -- combined with a real commitment on the defensive end -- make him very, very appealing as a pro prospect. Every team in the NBA needs guys like that.

He decommitted from Alabama and has been looking at both Arizona and Kansas.

McDonald's: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 1-for-5 from 3 in 16 minutes
Hoop Summit: 21 points, 7-for-11 from 3, 2 assists in 15 minutes

10. Dennis Smith
i

College: NC State
Guard
6-2, 190

Smith is the fifth (fifth!) point guard in the top 10. After struggling to find elite point guard prospects for the past several years, scouts see a plethora of them coming up in 2017.

Like Giles, he missed this past season because of a torn ACL.

Smith's an elite athlete both in quickness and explosiveness. He's strong and bouncy and he can really change speeds with the ball. He's a very good passer and scorer.

He just needs to refine his 3-point shooting, cut down on turnovers and prove to scouts that his knee injury won't sap his athleticism.

Smith enrolled at North Carolina State in January, so his transition should be relatively smooth. I think he's got a chance to be special as an NBA player.

McDonald's: N/A
Hoop Summit: N/A

Others to watch
Edrice Adebayo, PF, Kentucky; Miles Bridges, F, Michigan State; Malik Monk, G, Kentucky; Jarrett Allen, C, uncommitted; Omer Yurtseven, C, Turkey; Marques Bolden, C, uncommitted; Isaiah Hartenstein, PF, Germany; Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona; Frank Jackson, PG, Duke; Weneyn Gabriel, F, Kentucky

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Who joins Kawhi Leonard on All-Defensive teams?

The NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award has traditionally been the province of big men, and ESPN's real plus-minus backs that logic.

It takes a special perimeter player to be the NBA's best defender.

San Antonio Spurs forward Kawhi Leonard, last year's Defensive Player of the Year and the first non-big man to win since Ron Artest in 2003-04, is just such a transcendent talent. Leonard leads my picks for this year's All-Defensive Teams, made using a combination of scouting and statistical analysis.

More so than offense, defense remains difficult to quantify at the individual level. Still, in addition to my own observations and those of others, I made use of metrics including defensive RPM, Synergy Sports charting and SportVU tracking on NBA.com/stats to help inform my selections.

POINT GUARD

First Team: Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves

When Rubio first came to the NBA and graded out as an elite defender, skepticism was understandable.

Five years into his career, it's impossible to dismiss the numbers as a fluke. Rubio's size and anticipation make him as effective defending point guards as any player at the position. His plus-2.0 defensive RPM leads all point guards.

Second Team: Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

Paul sits right behind Rubio in defensive RPM, and not coincidentally, they rank second and third in steals per game. Although steals aren't a perfect defensive indicator -- Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors, who leads the league, isn't in their class, defensively -- Paul and Rubio are able to get them without taking detrimental gambles and are also sound one-on-one defenders.

Honorable mention: Avery Bradley, Boston Celtics; Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors; Marcus Smart, Celtics

Bradley and Smart are the NBA's best pair of defensive guards, capable of trading defensive assignments, depending on matchups when they're on the court together. Bradley's defense on Klay Thompson helped key Boston's upset win at Golden State earlier this month.

Like Paul, Lowry combines an excellent steal rate with strength and a low center of gravity that makes him tough to move around.

SHOOTING GUARD

First Team: Tony Allen, Memphis Grizzlies

At age 34, Allen is still "First Team All-Defense," as he reminded everyone throughout Memphis' Game 2 win last year against the Warriors. Only Rubio had a superior steal rate, and Allen remains the league's toughest individual defender at the position, an honor Kobe Bryant bestowed on him before their last head-to-head matchup.

Second Team: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Detroit Pistons

Caldwell-Pope's finesse style is different from Allen's more aggressive defense. Caldwell-Pope has perhaps the quickest feet of any shooting guard in the league, which allows him to use his wingspan to corral smaller opponents -- he's especially effective defending point guards and did a nice job against Curry -- and keep them in front.

Honorable mention: Danny Green, San Antonio Spurs; Andre Roberson, Oklahoma City Thunder; Klay Thompson, Golden State Warriors

Green's shooting has slumped this season, but his defense hasn't. His defensive RPM ranks second at the position behind Allen, though that relies more on box score stats (including impressive shot blocking for a guard) than his plus-minus impact.

Similarly, Roberson's ongoing quest to master the NBA 3 hasn't prevented him from excelling defensively.

Although Thompson's steal rate is abnormally low for an elite defensive guard, he compensates with size and agility that allow him to defend either guard spot.

SMALL FORWARD

First Team: Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs

Leonard is my choice for Defensive Player of the Year, but that wasn't as easy a call as I expected.

Leonard has only a slight edge on Draymond Green in defensive RPM, and he actually ranks second on his own team behind Tim Duncan. But Leonard plays a lot more than Duncan and is more essential, and the Spurs have been better defensively than the Warriors.

Based on plus-minus data, real plus-minus shows that big men make their teams better defensively, while guards and wings tend to produce better offense.

In other words, this is not generally an award for wing defenders. For Leonard to be, justifiably, on the verge of perhaps a second straight DPOY award is quite an accomplishment.

Second Team: Paul George, Indiana Pacers

Quietly, the Pacers have the league's third-best defense a year after trading former Defensive Player of the Year runner-up Roy Hibbert. Several players deserve credit, including Ian Mahinmi in his role as Hibbert's replacement (more on him later).

However, none deserves more credit than George. He returned from a serious leg injury without missing a beat and continues to take his role as defender seriously, despite his rise as a go-to scorer.

Honorable mention: Jae Crowder, Boston Celtics; Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors; Thabo Sefolosha, Atlanta Hawks

Crowder is every bit as important to Boston's aggressive, effective defense as Bradley and Smart. His absence was keenly felt when he missed a few weeks because of a sprained ankle.

Although Iguodala hasn't been as effective defensively this season, his presence still elevates the Warriors' small lineups at that end.

Like George, Sefolosha returned from a serious injury undiminished on D. He is the best perimeter defender on the league's second-best defense.

POWER FORWARD

First Team: Draymond Green, Golden State Warriors

Picking him second for Defensive Player of the Year is no indication of Green dropping off defensively. His ability to defend guards on switches and centers several inches taller when he plays the middle is invaluable to the Warriors' defense and unlocks their most effective lineups.

In fact, despite Green's size disadvantage, only Jonas Valanciunas has allowed fewer points per play among defenders who have faced at least 100 post-ups, according to Synergy Sports tracking.

Second Team: Paul Millsap, Atlanta Hawks

When Millsap was drafted, the assumption was that he would be a defensive liability due to his size. (Of course, the same was true of Green. We're not great at projecting defensive ability.) It's amazing that he leads the league in defensive win shares, according to Basketball-Reference.com.

That overstates Millsap's performance; the Hawks actually have defended slightly better with him on the bench. Nonetheless, I'm inclined to give him a great deal of credit for Atlanta's unlikely defensive dominance.

Honorable mention: Darrell Arthur, Denver Nuggets; Taj Gibson, Chicago Bulls; Justise Winslow, Miami Heat

Several fixtures in this spot, most notably Serge Ibaka, slumped this season. Two players return for the first time in many seasons.

Arthur, an elite defender with the Memphis Grizzlies before suffering a ruptured Achilles, has compensated for the quickness the injury cost him with experience.

After Joakim Noah's injury, Gibson was Chicago's best interior defender by miles.

Lastly, Winslow is the lone rookie to appear in this column. His quickness and strength allowed him to overcome a size disadvantage when defending power forwards, and Erik Spoelstra also used the versatile Winslow to defend guards at times.

CENTER

First Team: Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs

I fear Duncan's difficulty defending against the Warriors this season, including on national TV on Thursday, might doom his All-Defensive chances. It shouldn't. Golden State is a unique defensive challenge, and Duncan has been elite against the other 28 teams.

As noted, Duncan actually has a better defensive RPM than Leonard (and the league's best rating) because San Antonio has allowed just 93.7 points per 100 possessions with Duncan on the court, the lowest rating for any regular player in the NBA.

Given how limited Duncan's lateral mobility is as he nears age 40, that's a testament to his intelligence and ability to put himself in the right position on D before a play needs to be made.

Second Team: Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz

At times this season, the Jazz have been every bit as dominant defensively as they were in posting the league's best defensive rating after they moved Gobert into the starting lineup at last year's trade deadline.

Gobert remains as difficult an obstacle at the rim as anyone in the league. He allows 41.6 percent shooting within five feet of the hoop, according to SportVU tracking on NBA.com/Stats (only Milwaukee Bucks reserve John Henson has been better) and isn't as hopeless away from the basket as some modern rim protectors.

Honorable mention: Andrew Bogut, Golden State Warriors; DeAndre Jordan, Los Angeles Clippers; Ian Mahinmi, Indiana Pacers

Bogut actually ranks second in the entire league in defensive RPM. His on/off impact isn't as strong, however, and I think Bogut benefits to some extent from being protected against bad matchups by the Warriors' ability to go small.

Thankfully, Doc Rivers has stopped crusading for Jordan to be Defensive Player of the Year, which allows us to appreciate his improvement on D -- he's particularly good for a center at defending on the perimeter -- instead of picking apart his flimsy case.

As mentioned earlier, Mahinmi has more than just replaced Hibbert's rim protection. He has also given the Pacers more defensive versatility. He even matched up with power forwards at times when playing alongside rookie Myles Turner.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Todd McShay's three-round 'Grade: A' mock draft

Mel has been doing this so-called "Grade: A" Mock Draft for a few years, so it was only a matter of time before I got roped in. The concept is simple: I play general manager for every team. This isn't me projecting picks; this is me making them, for three full rounds, based on what's best for each team at that slot.

Please read the ground rules:

1. At each slot, I make a pick in the best interest of only the team with the pick. I won't pass on a player at No. 4 just because I like the team better at No. 5.

2. No trades unless they're already done. I try to address team needs, but like the draft, value can supersede need.

3. Again: I'm not projecting. It's more a look at where I see value up and down the board.

There's a team-by-team look below, as well as a pick-by-pick version so you can see how the order of the picks progressed and get an idea of who was off the board when each team selected.

Picks in order, Rounds 1-3

i

Tennessee Titans
Round 1 (1): Laremy Tunsil, OT, Mississippi
Round 2 (33): Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
Round 3 (64): Christian Westerman, G, Arizona State

Analysis: When you draft a player like Marcus Mariota with the No. 2 pick last year, you need to do everything in your power to give him help as he develops. To that end, Tunsil would provide the second-year QB with a building-block left tackle who thrives in pass protection. Tunsil and Westerman also would help jump-start the Titans' new-look running game with DeMarco Murray at the helm. Apple's length and range in coverage would be an asset to a defense that finished 29th overall in yards per pass attempt in 2015 (7.87).

i

Cleveland Browns
Round 1 (2): Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
Round 2 (32): Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State
Round 3 (65): Willie Henry, DT, Michigan

Analysis: I understand the argument to take a position other than QB at No. 2 overall, but Cleveland has had more starting quarterbacks than any other team in the NFL since 1999. I have Wentz slightly ahead of Jared Goff on my board. With his 6-foot-5, 237-pound frame, the North Dakota State product is a good fit for the rugged AFC North. Wentz will need someone to throw to -- Brian Hartline and Andrew Hawkins are the top two WRs currently on the roster -- so Thomas makes sense in Round 2. He has natural ball skills and the skill set to develop into a solid outside receiver in the NFL. After spending a first-round pick on Danny Shelton last year, the Browns need to continue to beef up their run defense. Henry fits the bill.

i

San Diego Chargers
Round 1 (3): DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
Round 2 (35): Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State
Round 3 (66): Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford

Analysis: Defensive line and safety are two of the Chargers' top needs, and this would be a dream scenario, with Buckner (my No. 2 D-lineman) and Bell (No. 2 safety) both falling into their lap. Buckner is disruptive against the run and plays with a great motor. Perhaps most important, he has the skill set to fit in both a 3-4 and 4-3 at the next level. After letting Ladarius Green hit free agency and sign with Pittsburgh, the Chargers should be looking for a young TE like Hooper to develop.

i

Dallas Cowboys
Round 1 (4): Jared Goff, QB, Cal
Round 2 (34): Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
Round 3 (67): Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma

Analysis: And now it gets interesting. Tony Romo turns 36 on April 21 and he's coming off a season in which he played just four games after suffering two collarbone injuries. It's time for the Cowboys to start planning for their future at QB. Yes, they need a pass-rusher -- which I took care of in Round 2 with Dodd -- but you can't just ignore the game's most important position, especially a season after seeing the true value of having a competent backup in place. It'd be the perfect situation for Goff, too. He'd get time to transition to the pro game after playing in a spread system at Cal, while also getting to learn from Romo and coach Jason Garrett.

i

Jacksonville Jaguars
Round 1 (5): Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
Round 2 (38): Keanu Neal, S, Florida
Round 3 (69): Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

Analysis: The Jaguars upgraded their defense in free agency with the additions of DE Malik Jackson and S Tashaun Gipson, but they shouldn't stop there. They need a sideline-to-sideline playmaker at the second level, and Jack is one of the best overall athletes in this class. Neal would give the Jags a good run-stuffer to complement Gipson's ability in coverage. And while Jacksonville has 2016 first-round DE Dante Fowler Jr. slated to return from an ACL injury, you can never have enough pass-rushers. Ogbah has a high ceiling and is a value pick in Round 3.

i

Baltimore Ravens
Round 1 (6): Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
Round 2 (36): Artie Burns, CB, Miami (FL)
Round 3 (70): Nick Kwiatkoski, ILB, West Virginia

Analysis: Bosa is the best available player at No. 6. He's not a perfect scheme fit, but who cares? He shows the relentlessness and instincts shared by most top-level NFL pass-rushers. With cornerback Lardarius Webb getting older andJimmy Smith coming off a so-so season, Burns is an enticing upside play in Round 2. He has the length and raw coverage ability to develop into a good outside starting cornerback. Kwiatkoski would give Baltimore another instinctive run defender to pair with C.J. Mosley.

i

San Francisco 49ers
Round 1 (7): Jalen Ramsey, CB, Florida State
Round 2 (37): Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
Round 3 (68): Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers

Analysis: If Goff or Wentz had been on the board at No. 7, I wouldn't have hesitated to take one of them, but I didn't want to reach for Lynch or Connor Cook, neither of whom have a first-round grade in my book. So I went with Ramsey, the best player on my board. No, he doesn't have elite ball skills, but he has proved that he can play both corner and safety at a high level, and he's a truly rare athlete. Lynch has outstanding mobility for his size (6-foot-7) and it'd be fun to see how Chip Kelly would develop his raw skill set. With Quinton Patton (36 catches in three years) in the mix for the No. 2 WR role right now, the 49ers need to take a hard look at this wide receiver class. Carroo comes with terrific ball skills and polished route-running abilities.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Philadelphia Eagles
Round 1 (8): Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
Round 3 (77): Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor
Round 3 (79): Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn

Analysis: No, I don't normally advocate for taking a running back in the first round, but there are exceptions to every rule. Adrian Peterson was one back in 2007, Todd Gurley was another in 2015, and Elliott is yet another this year. He's an instinctive runner, a tough blocker and a natural pass-catcher. A Day 1 starter, Elliott would take pressure off QB Sam Bradford from the get-go. Both Howard and Coleman would help the Eagles add depth at cornerback and tackle, respectively.

i

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Round 1 (9): Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
Round 2 (39): Chris Moore, WR, Cincinnati
Round 3 (74): Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State

Analysis: For a team that wants to run the ball and needs a right tackle, Conklin is a better fit for Tampa Bay than Ronnie Stanley. The Michigan State product is a natural fit on the right side as a plug-and-play starter. He has the long arms (35 inches) and agility to protect the QB and would be a welcome sight for second-year QB Jameis Winston. So too would Moore. Vincent Jackson had just 33 catches in 10 games last season, as he struggled to stay healthy. Moore has underrated playmaking ability and the potential to develop into a solid No. 2 WR. He would give Winston a good underneath option to complement Mike Evans. Calhoun, meanwhile, needs to get stronger against the run, but he brings an impact edge rusher if developed properly.

i

New York Giants
Round 1 (10): Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
Round 2 (40): Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State
Round 3 (71): Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

Analysis: I know the Giants need to continue to add playmakers to their defense, but the value with Stanley was too good to pass up here. With his long arms (35½ inches) and athletic skill set, Stanley has the ideal makeup to develop into a blindside protector at the next level. Correa really gets after the passer (19 sacks and five forced fumbles in his final two seasons at Boise State). He'd give the Giants a stable of explosive pass-rushers, joining Olivier Vernon andJason Pierre-Paul. Cooper has the versatility and big-play ability to make life easier for Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr.

i

Chicago Bears
Round 1 (11): Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
Round 2 (41): Jason Spriggs, OT, Indiana
Round 3 (72): Hassan Ridgeway, DT, Texas

Analysis: Floyd possesses rare speed and athleticism for his position. That's good news for Chicago, which is in need of playmakers off the edge after Lamarr Houston led the team with just 8.0 sacks in 2015. The Bears picked upBobby Massie in free agency, but drafting another tackle like Spriggs would allow Kyle Long to bump back inside to his natural position at guard, solidifying the O-line. Ridgeway is a great example of the value teams will be able to find with defensive tackles in the middle rounds. He'd be another welcome addition to a defense that was soft up the middle in 2016.

i

New Orleans Saints
Round 1 (12): Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
Round 2 (47): Joshua Garnett, G, Stanford
Round 3 (78): Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame

Analysis: I love the fit with Rankins and the Saints. He fills a huge need on their defense with his ability to pressure the quarterback from the interior. A high-motor player, Rankins also excels against the run -- good news for a Saints defense that got gashed far too often last season. Smith would've been my No. 1 overall player if not for the devastating knee injury he suffered in his final collegiate game. He's one of the ultimate risk-reward players in this class, with rare ability to impact the game on every snap when healthy.

i

Miami Dolphins
Round 1 (13): Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
Round 2 (42): Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
Round 3 (73): Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech

Analysis: Mario Williams (31) and Cameron Wake (34) are both getting up there in age, so the Dolphins need to find a way to infuse some youth along their D-line in this draft. The more I watch Lawson, the more I love his game. It wasn't a fluke that he led the nation with 25.5 tackles for loss; he plays with a combination of quickness, power, technique and relentlessness that is hard to stifle. Fuller and Dixon would fill two of the Dolphins' bigger needs entering the draft.

i

Oakland Raiders
Round 1 (14): Chris Jones, DT, Mississippi State
Round 2 (44): Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
Round 3 (75): Devontae Booker, RB, Utah

Analysis: Rather than reach for CB Eli Apple in the first round, I like the idea of Oakland plugging a hole at DT with Jones. He has the tools to develop into a big-time difference-maker along the interior of the D-line, which is what Oakland needs. The risk with Jones is his immaturity and the inconsistent effort he shows when he wears down. Even though Alexander finished his college career without an interception, he has one of the higher ceilings in this year's cornerback class because of his movement and pure press-man coverage skills. Booker would give the Raiders a reliable backup behind Latavius Murray.

i

Los Angeles Rams
Round 1 (15): Laquon Treadwell, WR, Mississippi
Round 2 (43): Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
Round 2 (45): Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
Round 3: (76): Daryl Worley, CB, West Virginia

Analysis: The Rams look like they hit on 2015 first-rounder Todd Gurley, but they need to continue to surround him with talent. Treadwell -- who projects as a big-bodied weapon in the short-to-intermediate passing game because of his 4.63 speed -- would complement the smaller, speedier Tavon Austin. Hackenberg's tape is up and down (his best season was as a freshman under Texans coach Bill O'Brien), but Los Angeles has no choice but to try to develop a quarterback, with the Nick Foles/Case Keenum combination yielding below-average results in 2015.

i

Detroit Lions
Round 1 (16): Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
Round 2 (46): Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Mississippi
Round 3 (95): Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State

Analysis: Decker isn't flashy, but he has one of the highest floors of anyone in this class. He's an easy choice for the Lions, who have allowed QB Matthew Stafford to be sacked 89 times over the past two seasons. Nkemdiche's inconsistent tape and off-field issues are a concern, but his raw talent makes him a worthwhile risk midway through Round 2. The Lions could use another young stud CB to play opposite Darius Slay. Redmond, who tore his ACL in October 2015, has the instincts and cover skills to fit in either a man or zone coverage scheme.

i

Atlanta Falcons
Round 1 (17): Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State
Round 2 (50): Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas
Round 3 (81): Carl Nassib, DE, Penn State

Analysis: The Falcons were the worst defense in the NFL at covering running backs and tight ends last season, allowing 213 combined completions, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Lee would help solve that problem with his 4.47 speed and outstanding coverage ability. At 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, Henry would give QB Matt Ryan a much-needed weapon down the seam, while Nassib would help bolster a pass rush that generated just 19 sacks last season.

i

Indianapolis Colts
Round 1 (18): Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia
Round 2 (48): Cody Whitehair, G/C, Kansas State
Round 3 (82): Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU

Analysis: I wanted to get the Colts and offensive lineman with their first-round pick, but the value just wasn't there. So I went with the best player on the board (Joseph), who could be their next Bob Sanders. Joseph is one of the more violent and efficient tacklers we've studied recently at the safety position. Concerns about his 2015 knee injury aside, he's one of the fastest-rising prospects in this draft. Whitehair shows exceptional awareness on tape and would provide the Colts with a versatile interior lineman. Hawkins has the frame, skill set and football character to develop into a solid right tackle starter in the NFL.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Buffalo Bills
Round 1 (19): Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama
Round 2 (49): Jonathan Bullard, DE, Florida
Round 3 (80): KeiVarae Russell, CB, Notre Dame

Analysis: I tried to get Buffalo an edge rusher in Round 1, but there wasn't great value available but they time it was their turn to pick. I went with Ragland instead, who would help improve a Bills defense that allowed 4.4 yards per carry last season (25th overall). He was a tone-setter in the middle of Alabama's championship defense last season, and he has the toughness to excel as a downhill linebacker. Ragland would be a good fit with Bullard, who makes a ton of effort plays on tape. The Florida product would also be a moveable piece along the D-line for Rex Ryan, having played both inside and outside in college.

i

New York Jets
Round 1 (20): Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
Round 2 (51): Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky
Round 3 (83): Joshua Perry, ILB, Ohio State

Analysis: We downgraded Hargreaves a bit due to his less-than-ideal measurables (5-foot-10 frame and 30 5/8-inch arms), but he has the aggressiveness and confidence to develop into a quality starting CB on the outside. The Jets need one of those to play opposite Darrelle Revis after cutting Antonio Cromartie. Spence fell to the second round here because of his off-field mishaps, but he has skill set to develop into an impact pass-rusher in the NFL.

i

Washington Redskins
Round 1 (21): Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama
Round 2 (53): Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois
Round 3 (84): Jordan Payton, WR, UCLA

Analysis: The Redskins allowed 4.8 yards per carry last season (31st in the NFL), which I tried to address with my first two picks here. Reed is the most dominant interior run-stuffer in the 2016 class, with the toughness to hold his ground and fight through double teams. Ward's outstanding combination of height, bulk and arm length gives him a lot of upside as a run defender. Pierre Garcon is set to turn 30 before the season begins, so it makes sense to add a player like Payton, who has the skill set to develop into a No. 2 WR.

i

Houston Texans
Round 1 (22): Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
Round 2 (52): Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina
Round 3 (85): Su'a Cravens, S, USC

Analysis: What do you do after giving Brock Osweiler $37 million guaranteed? Easy: Give him as many weapons as possible. He already has WR DeAndre Hopkins and RB Lamar Miller, but Doctson and Adams would give Osweiler ample opportunity to succeed. Doctson is the best WR in this class when the ball is in the air, while Adams flashes big-play ability as a pass-catcher down the seam. Cravens, a physical and aggressive run defender, fits the mold of a hybrid safety who's comfortable lining up near or inside the box.

i

Minnesota Vikings
Round 1 (23): Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
Round 2 (54): Deion Jones, OLB, LSU
Round 3 (86): Adolphus Washington, DT, Ohio State

Analysis: Fuller blazed the second-fastest 40-yard dash time at the combine this year (4.32). On tape, he's a vertical burner who is always a threat to rip off a big play (20.3 yards per catch last season). The Vikings could use more playmakers like that to assist with QB Teddy Bridgewater's development. Washington was dominant at the Senior Bowl, showing good first-step quickness off the ball for his size (6-3, 301). He slipped here after a surprisingly poor combine performance, but he's skilled enough to develop into an every-down NFL starting DT.

i

Cincinnati Bengals
Round 1 (24): Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
Round 2 (55): Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
Round 3 (87): Jeremy Cash, S, Duke

Analysis: Both Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones left in free agency, so the Bengals need to add a playmaker opposite A.J. Green. While Coleman is a little undersized at 5-foot-11, he can change directions on a dime, which gives him a lot of upside in the NFL. Clark has the strength to eventually fill the Bengals' 4-3 nose tackle position. Cash projects as a hybrid S/LB with his ability to make plays against the run.

i

Pittsburgh Steelers
Round 1 (25): William Jackson III, CB, Houston
Round 2 (58): Darian Thompson, S, Boise State
Round 3 (89): Adam Gotsis, DE, Georgia Tech

Analysis: The Steelers' pass defense needs a major upgrade after allowing 272 yards per game last season (30th overall). Jackson has a good frame (6-0, 189 pounds) and elite speed (4.37 40). He thrives off the challenge of facing the opposing team's No. 1 WR, while Thompson finished his Boise State career with 19 interceptions. Gotsis shows terrific toughness on tape and would provide a boost to Pittsburgh's run defense as he continues to develop.

i

Seattle Seahawks
Round 1 (26): Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor
Round 2 (56): Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama
Round 3 (90): Le'Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech
Round 3 (97): Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota

Analysis: A nimble athlete for his size (310 pounds), Billings is a dominant and versatile run-defender. He still needs to develop as a pass-rusher, but he'd get plenty of one-on-one opportunities playing in Seattle's stellar front seven. Henry has a ridiculous size-speed combo, running a 4.54 40 at 247 pounds. I love the fit within the Seahawks' scheme, especially considering he'd stay fresh splitting carries with Thomas Rawls. Clark, meanwhile, has the frame and the length to develop into a starting left tackle. He fills a need in Seattle after Russell Okung left for the Broncos in free agency.

i

Green Bay Packers
Round 1 (27): Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
Round 2 (57): Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State
Round 3 (88): B.J. Goodson, ILB, Clemson

Analysis: A massive defensive lineman with good quickness for his size, the 323-pound Butler is a premier run-defender. On tape, he wins a high percentage of one-on-one matchups. I love the fit with the Packers, as Butler is capable of playing NT and DE in a 3-4. Vannett had a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, showcasing his route running and ball skills. Aaron Rodgers can never have too many weapons, especially down the seam. With Clay Matthews moving back to outside linebacker, Goodson would give Green Bay more depth and some upside at ILB.

i

Kansas City Chiefs
Round 1 (28): A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
Round 2 (59): Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State

Analysis: No. 28 is around the right range for Robinson, who has impressive movement skills for his size but plays too upright and his motor can run a little too hot and cold. Going to a team like Kansas City, with plenty of veterans who lead by example, would be ideal. Miller has been playing WR for only one year, but he has continued to improve his route running, and his ability in the open field is undeniable. He'd give Alex Smith a much-needed weapon in the short-to-intermediate passing game.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Arizona Cardinals
Round 1 (29): Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
Round 3 (92): Jacoby Brissett, QB, North Carolina State

Analysis: I thought about taking Paxton Lynch in the first round, but decided instead to solidify to center position. The Cardinals, who traded their second-rounder to New England for Chandler Jones, have made a point to upgrade their offensive line over the past few seasons; Kelly would give them another building-block piece up front to protect 36-year-old QB Carson Palmer. Brissett, meanwhile, has the tools and work ethic to develop into a good backup QB in the NFL. Given time to work under Palmer and learn from quarterback guru Bruce Arians, there's a chance Brissett could eventually emerge as an adequate starter.

i

Carolina Panthers
Round 1 (30): Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M
Round 2 (62): Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
Round 3 (93): Justin Simmons, S, Boston College

Analysis: Ifedi has all of the measurables you're looking for in a OT prospect -- 6-foot-6, 324 pounds and 36-inch arms. He has the raw tools to one day develop into a starting left tackle. With experience playing guard and tackle, Ifedi would give the Panthers some options up front. Both of Carolina's starting DTs (Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei) are free agents next offseason, so it makes sense to bring in a guy like Johnson, who could develop into a starter if one or both of those guys left. Simmons had an eye-opening combine workout -- best short-shuttle (3.85 seconds) and eighth-best vertical jump (40 inches) -- and a nose for the ball while at Boston College. Carolina needs another playmaker to pair with Kurt Coleman in the backend.

i

Denver Broncos
Round 1 (31): Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
Round 2 (63): Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame
Round 3 (94): Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana
Round 3 (98): Connor McGovern, G, Missouri

Analysis: With just Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian on the depth chart, quarterback is by far the biggest hole for the defending Super Bowl champions. At pick No. 31, there wasn't a single player left on the board with a first-round grade, and Cook was actually less of a reach than the top available players at other positions of need. Cook improved as a senior, showing more comfort with his reads and better anticipation as a passer. Day's motor is second to none at the DT position; he's one of the most underrated players in this draft and would thrive in Wade Phillips' defense, which highlights versatile interior guys who can penetrate. Howard, meanwhile, has the size, power, vision and competitiveness to eventually develop into a bell-cow starter in the NFL. He'd give the Broncos a good 1-2 punch with C.J. Anderson.

i

New England Patriots
Round 2 (60): Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh
Round 2 (61): Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama
Round 3 (91): Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State
Round 3 (96): C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame

Analysis: The Patriots have made a point to surround Tom Brady with more weapons this offseason (WR Chris Hogan, TE Martellus Bennett), but they still need an outside WR. Boyd has the size (6-1) and savvy route-running skills to develop into a solid No. 2 at the next level. Jones has experience working as the nickel CB and also adds value as a punt returner (4 TDs in college). The Patriots already have two smaller RBs (Dion Lewis and James White); at 6-foot and 220 pounds, Prosise would fill the big-back role.

Exit9NJturnpike

Gmen Giants Big Blue
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Brunswick, NJ
i

New York Giants
Round 1 (10): Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
Round 2 (40): Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State
Round 3 (71): Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

Analysis: I know the Giants need to continue to add playmakers to their defense, but the value with Stanley was too good to pass up here. With his long arms (35½ inches) and athletic skill set, Stanley has the ideal makeup to develop into a blindside protector at the next level. Correa really gets after the passer (19 sacks and five forced fumbles in his final two seasons at Boise State). He'd give the Giants a stable of explosive pass-rushers, joining Olivier Vernon andJason Pierre-Paul. Cooper has the versatility and big-play ability to make life easier for Eli Manning and Odell Beckham Jr.
Thanks Breh!!

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The new reality: What the Titans-Rams trade means for the NFL draft

The Rams constructed a large chunk of their roster upon the largesse of another team's big bet, having acquired a mountain of players and picks from Washington in the Robert Griffin trade. Now, despite knowing firsthand how those sort of massive gambles often fail to work out, they've moved all their chips into the middle by trading with Tennessee for the first overall pick.

Assuming that they're projected to go 8-8 next year, a fair bet with Jeff Fisher around, the Rams paid about $1.70 on the dollar as part of the deal, per Chase Stuart's draft value chart. It's not all bad; as Mike Sando noted for Insider, you can understand why they made this specific trade at this specific time. Despite having an excellent defense and a promising running game around Todd Gurley, Los Angeles has one of the worst quarterback situations in football and no clear way to improve it without making this sort of trade. And as Mel Kiper mentioned in his Insider piece, the Rams have a young roster by virtue of the picks from the Griffin trade.

I don't think it's a good trade for the Rams -- these sorts of deals rarely work out, and this is still a team with a subpar offensive line, major question marks at receiver, and holes in the secondary -- but it's about as defensible as a deal like this can be, given the context of where the Rams are right now. But what about the rest of the league? In a draft where there wasn't (and actually still isn't) an obvious top pick, there's going to be an enormous knock-on effect for how this deal impacts the teams who have to follow the Rams at one.

Let's run through a few of those organizations and see how their situation shifts from this deal, starting with the team who is now staring up at Los Angeles and perhaps looking longingly at Tennessee:

The Browns lose more than any other team with this deal

The best-case scenario for the Browns, in just about every way, was for the Titans to stay put and draft Laremy Tunsil with the first overall pick. The Browns could theoretically have an interest in drafting Tunsil themselves, but with 31-year-old superstar Joe Thomas entrenched on the left side for the next several years during what would be Tunsil's rookie contract, it's exceedingly unlikely that they'll want to draft a right tackle with the second overall pick. Right tackles are more important in pass protection than ever before, but the league just doesn't value them at that level.

If the Titans took Tunsil first, the world was Cleveland's oyster. They would have been able to choose between Carson Wentz and Jared Goff with the second overall pick, with the option of going for a wild card like Jalen Ramsey or Ezekiel Elliott as a fallback plan if they didn't like either of the quarterbacks. The fallback plans will still be there, but now, the Browns won't be able to choose between their favorite of the passers at two. It's possible that Los Angeles and Cleveland could come to entirely different conclusions on which quarterback they want, but it's even more unlikely that the Browns are in love with both passers and would be happy with whichever one of the quarterbacks falls to them at two.

To be honest, though, this hurts the Browns even further in terms of what they most likely wanted to do with the second overall pick: trade down for future picks. If the suggestions that the Browns are going to pursue a heavy emphasis on analytics are true -- and there's little reason to think that the suggestions aren't true -- the first credo of any historically-inclined draft approach is to acquire as many picks as possible. The Browns basically sat out free agency and acquired four compensatory picks, including three fourth-rounders, for the 2017 draft. Their roster is threadbare, somehow devoid of both stars and depth.

I firmly believe that organizationally the Browns would have tried to make this exact sort of trade with a team like the Rams to trade down and acquire more picks. It fits their organizational mindset at the moment to a T. The only reason they wouldn't have made that sort of deal would have been if they had fallen in love with Goff or Wentz, and if that were the case, it's more plausible that they would have traded up to the first overall pick before now.

Now, Cleveland's trade leverage is halved at best. They were always going to have to wait to see what the Titans did with the first pick before they could consummate a deal with a team who was desperate to acquire one of the top-ranked passers, but at least then, they could agree to terms with a team in advance who would know that they would get the quarterback of their choice. Now, assuming that the Rams wait until draft day to reveal which quarterback they're taking (and aren't grabbing Ramsey), that opportunity is gone. They'll either have to agree to terms on tentative trades with a team (or perhaps two teams) who are waiting to see whether their guy will be available with the second pick. Those teams, knowing that they won't be competing in a two-quarterback market, won't be offering as much in return. Not ideal.

It's possible that a team coveting Tunsil could now trade up and grab their franchise left tackle at No. 2, but that seems less likely than a team falling in love with one of the quarterbacks and sending a haul of picks to move up. If you want to spin this as a positive for the Browns, the best way I can figure is that there was a chance the Titans might have taken Ramsey first, and he might be the best player at a position of need for the Browns in the draft pool. Cleveland's chances of acquiring him rise as part of this deal. Otherwise, though, this has to be considered a major disappointment for the Browns.

Simultaneously, it helps the Chargers

With Philip Rivers on a no-trade clause and signed to a long-term extension, the Chargers weren't drafting a quarterback. With Tennessee and Cleveland ahead of them, there was a non-zero chance that the Chargers would have been stuck with the top two quarterbacks still available on the board at three. If the Chargers wanted to trade down and acquire more picks, that scenario wouldn't have been a problem, but San Diego badly needs offensive line help to keep Rivers upright. With Tennessee picking first, it seemed unlikely that San Diego would end up with a chance to draft Tunsil at three. Now, with the Rams taking a quarterback and the Browns hardly in need of a left tackle, there's a good shot the Chargers can draft their left tackle of the future with the third overall pick.

The Cowboys lose some trading leverage

As I wrote about earlier this month, it didn't make sense for the Cowboys to draft a quarterback with the fourth pick. It was always more likely that their interest was a smokescreen designed to create a market for them to trade down and acquire additional picks. They could still find a trade partner if the right quarterback falls to four, but with one of the two top passers guaranteed to be off the board, they lose some flexibility heading into the draft. And if their interest in Wentz or Goff was real, obviously, they'll be even more disappointed.

The Jaguars and Ravens have to be happy

Neither Jacksonville nor Baltimore wants a quarterback. Now, if a desperate team sitting below them sees one of the two quarterbacks come off of the board, they very well might trade up to grab the passer they want, either giving the Jags or Ravens extra picks or ensuring that both quarterbacks are gone before Jacksonville's seat at five.

Alternately, this might make it easier for either of these teams to trade up. If the Jaguars are in love with Ramsey, they might very well want to move from five to two to snap him up. They couldn't compete with the sort of haul the Browns would have received for their pick if both quarterbacks had been on the board, but in a much quieter market, that sort of deal could be far more friendly to Jacksonville.

San Francisco loses options

If this trade doesn't work out, it may benefit the 49ers in the long run, given that the Rams would be a less threatening opponent. In the short term, though, this hurts the 49ers in a couple of ways. The Rams needed a quarterback, and while they hadn't publicly suggested that they were interested in acquiring Colin Kaepernick, they were also saying as recently as last month that they were going to go into the season with Case Keenum as their starter. In other words, teams lie.

The 49ers might have hesitated to trade Kaepernick within their division, but it's not out of the question to imagine a move where the 49ers would have dealt Kaepernick to the Rams, possibly in a deal to get back current Rams backup Nick Foles, who had his best season under Chip Kelly in Philadelphia. Foles could very well still end up in San Francisco, given that the 49ers have plenty of cap room, while the Rams currently have an $8.8 million third quarterback they don't need. The Rams actually won't realize much savings by trading Foles -- they already paid the benched Arizona product a $6 million roster bonus which won't come off their cap by trading him -- but it would be a $1.8 million savings versus what it would cost to keep Foles on the roster or cut him, so expect the Rams to try and find a trade partner in the days to come.

Now, though, the 49ers lose a possible destination for Kaepernick, while the chances that one of the two top-rated quarterbacks will fall them to that seventh overall pick drops dramatically, given that the Titans were not taking a passer and the Rams are surely going to do so. The best-case scenario for the 49ers might be to trade down and draft Paxton Lynch, but they just saw a motivated trading partner in LA run right by them. If anything, if the top two quarterbacks are gone by seven, it might cause the 49ers to reach for Lynch at seven, a move which is aggressive at best.

It's harder for the Eagles to do something foolish

Despite re-signing Sam Bradford to a two-year deal and paying a premium for Chase Daniel in free agency, rumors still suggested the Eagles were smitten with the idea of trading up to number one, likely to grab Wentz. The Eagles wouldn't have had to pay as much to make the move, given that they were dealing from the eighth overall slot to the 15th pick, but that still would have cost them their 2017 first-round pick and one other premium selection.

That wouldn't have made sense on a number of levels. The Eagles are already missing their second-rounder from last year's Bradford trade, so they need to hold onto the picks they have. Philly could trade Bradford, but they would still owe $11 million in dead money for him on this year's cap, and there would be a sparse trade market given that the Eagles would have virtually no leverage after trading up. And with formerly-deposed general manager Howie Roseman back in control, the Eagles are more likely to treat draft picks as a precious commodity, given his previous history with the team versus Kelly's disastrous stint running player personnel.