The Menu | Horror Comedy | Starring: Voldemort, Beth Harmon and Beast | Streaming on Max

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Loved this, though it is a slight movie, it has such sharp writing, black humor, it's very good, and I go to those kinds of places, and would easily have done the $1200 experience from Hawthorne., so I am perfect audience for this. I love and indulge in foodie culture, been to a lot of Michelin star places, just went to a three star last month, which just got it's 3rd star! There's some fair criticism, though the Margo character is played pretty broad, she is supposed to represent the common viewer/voice of reason, but just like expensive watches, or hotels, or shoes, or ANYTHING really you can mock it and dismiss it, if you don't get it, or aren't a part of it.

I went and got a double cheeseburger from a local spot right after lol

The social satire and themes are done well enough to have me questioning where I would stand in the Chef's estimation as a giver or a taker, which means the movie is working.

Again, theater experience where no one laughed but me, if you aren't laughing in this movie, I don't see how or why you would possibly sit through 100 some odd minutes.
You would have died in marshmallow and chocolate cap. :heh:

I like this movie but I didn’t like the ending and a lot of the final act.

That line “we will all die,” and the chefs were “Yes, chef!” I cracked up lol

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
The movie felt like a pulled punch to me. Never did enough to fully feel like a movie. I enjoyed elements but overall I can’t say I liked this movie cause it just felt incomplete or unsatisfying. Funny enough it’s kinda like the meals they are clowning in the film in a way

this was a weird fukking movie..it was ok...nothing i would rewatch again

Glad I didnt spend any money on this. Was supposed to watch this in theaters a few times but plans fell through. Movie is not as smart as it thinks it is.
Good to see some fellow haters :salute:
This should've been a short film that went straight to Vimeo

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Interesting watch but it didn't quite go all the way for me

Yea same thing for me. I can't say it was a bad movie (it wasn't) but I can't say it was a great movie. It tried to make its points and in some aspects it did but other movies have tackled these issues in much more precise, enlightening, and entertaining ways (Knives Out and the wealthy).

Ralph Fiennes continues to be one of the best actors out there and the veteran actors (he & Judith Light) showed that their generation shines well above their younger counterparts. Yes I know, this wasn't asked to be some greatly acted film but still you can see the difference in generations of acting in this one.

Overall I'd give this 2.5/5 mics.
Absolutely loved this movie but Anya Taylor-Joy's lack of ass is so tragic :mjcry:

Director needs to be charged with some sort of crime for that much focusing in on it :stopitslime:

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Am I the only one who thought the trope of 'the cheeseburger' was corny?

It's been a trump card used against pretentious foodies since the inception of that world, and it did nothing to elevate that joke. It's the equivalent of a hip-hop film satirizing backpackers, and then using Rapper's Delight to defeat the final boss.
Well the thing is, even most Michelin star and top notch restaurants and steakhouses will have a cheeseburger on the menu because there's literally people, rich or poor, that will walk out of a restaurant if they don't have a cheeseburger. Plus no matter how highbrow, experimental, or pretentious a spot is trying to be, the cheeseburger and fries is the money maker and keeps most places open.

Daps
Well the thing is, even most Michelin star and top notch restaurants and steakhouses will have a cheeseburger on the menu because there's literally people, rich or poor, that will walk out of a restaurant if they don't have a cheeseburger. Plus no matter how highbrow, experimental, or pretentious a spot is trying to be, the cheeseburger and fries is the money maker and keeps most places open.
Almost every restaurant will serve a cheeseburger, but having it on the actual menu is another thing altogether.

I haven't been to too many high-end restaurants that have it on their menu, but I'm sure they'll make one if you ask. The large majority I've been to have either been set menus or ethnic cuisine (no cheeseburger listed in sight). I don't agree with the "cheeseburger and fries" keeping most places open either - that is really only specific to joints that specialize in burgers, or chain restaurants, or your diners. For the purposes of this argument as it relates to the film, these bougie ass restaurants are most definitely not reliant on those items to keep running.

Regardless of that, the cheeseburger is an age-old joke in the culinary world. The film simply didn't do anything to layer it or make it unique in any way, which really the film suffered from as a whole.

It was all quite bland (no pun intended).

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Saw it last night. I liked it. Although it was a bit unrealistic to me.

Like, he said, all those folks should've made a better attempt to escape. I also couldn't buy that ALL those people that worked for him were down to die. Especially since a lot of them were black. The movie would've worked better if he had just killed the rich people or had been killing people for a while on the low. I felt the suicide piece was written so the movie could have no loose ends but it's harder for me to swallow. (no pun intended)