The Menu | Horror Comedy | Starring: Voldemort, Beth Harmon and Beast | Streaming on Max

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I loved this movie. Just a really great blend of dark comedy, horror and social commentary.

The chef constantly ethering the guests had me dying

”This must be a new method of dicing shallots that we’re woefully ignorant of lmao

I see a few people here had a problem with the ending but I thought it worked

He was all about calling people out on their bullshyt and she called him out on his while reminding him of the brief period in his life when he actually enjoyed his craft. It makes sense that he let her live

Last edited:

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It was the first thing he ever cooked, when she was in his quarters, you saw a picture of him a lot younger with a burger and a spatula on a grill
I know that, I’m talking about the restaurant industry take on a cheeseburger at fancy restaurants. Posters were saying it was some industry joke.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
You would have died in marshmallow and chocolate cap. :heh:

I like this movie but I didn’t like the ending and a lot of the final act.

That line “we will all die,” and the chefs were “Yes, chef!” I cracked up lol

hahaha I may have gone out, but I'll never go out like that! I don't follow regular laws, I would never follow a deranged chef to my death, under the guise of social norms, they would have to stab me to death.

Was more considering socioeconomics, I may be there, I may be in a Michelin star spot, but I also used to sleep on toilet paper rolls in jail, and I picked up garbage by (gloved) hand and carried trash bags at a baseball stadium for work, so where am I in his rendering of givers and takers?

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Almost every restaurant will serve a cheeseburger, but having it on the actual menu is another thing altogether.

I haven't been to too many high-end restaurants that have it on their menu, but I'm sure they'll make one if you ask. The large majority I've been to have either been set menus or ethnic cuisine (no cheeseburger listed in sight). I don't agree with the "cheeseburger and fries" keeping most places open either - that is really only specific to joints that specialize in burgers, or chain restaurants, or your diners. For the purposes of this argument as it relates to the film, these bougie ass restaurants are most definitely not reliant on those items to keep running.

Regardless of that, the cheeseburger is an age-old joke in the culinary world. The film simply didn't do anything to layer it or make it unique in any way, which really the film suffered from as a whole.

It was all quite bland (no pun intended).
Might have stretched this statement to the extreme but I've been to a few nice steakhouses and restaurants and have seen a surprisingly non stop stream of burgers coming out of the kitchen when you'd think their other highly praised fare would be moving plates. Plus I've been in the bar/restaurant business off and on and the burger always keeps the cash registers singing . A huge amount of restaurants, high and low end, fail at the end of the day. Its an extremely rough and harsh business.

The Menu movie was definitely about the high end culinary experimental art world of dining and yeah with places like that a burger isn't on the menu but a chef might make on upon request

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Maybe you can order one, if you are a regular, or live next door, or whatever, but no three Michelin Star or Two Michelin start I've been to, had a burger on the menu. Not one I can thin of, and I've been to some of those most well known spots, and a handful of others. Maybe 10 total.

Steakhouses, different story.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Almost every restaurant will serve a cheeseburger, but having it on the actual menu is another thing altogether.

I haven't been to too many high-end restaurants that have it on their menu, but I'm sure they'll make one if you ask. The large majority I've been to have either been set menus or ethnic cuisine (no cheeseburger listed in sight). I don't agree with the "cheeseburger and fries" keeping most places open either - that is really only specific to joints that specialize in burgers, or chain restaurants, or your diners. For the purposes of this argument as it relates to the film, these bougie ass restaurants are most definitely not reliant on those items to keep running.

Regardless of that, the cheeseburger is an age-old joke in the culinary world. The film simply didn't do anything to layer it or make it unique in any way, which really the film suffered from as a whole.

It was all quite bland (no pun intended).
I mean the entire setup in the movie was leading to that joke.

None of them tried do the one thing at a restaurant you are supposed to do. Eat.

Burgers are versatile because the can be simple and complex. Chef had everything there but didn’t bring him happiness.

People kept trying to layer meaning and subtext over everything instead of just being at a restaurant. Even the chef lost sight of it.