The Menu | Horror Comedy | Starring: Voldemort, Beth Harmon and Beast | Streaming on Max

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Just saw it. Going to look up the meaning but honestly this aint a must see for me. I would have enjoyed this as much at home.

halfway through it felt like some Kanye, slavery is a choice film.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Loved it. I had the :skip: snicker going throughout the movie.

Chef Voldemort hit Tyler with the Gordon Ramsay:

gordon-ramsay-take-that-jacket-off.gif

And don't hang around :skip:

Tyler was just like Archer in the "Live and Let Dine" episode where he tried to impress Anthony Bourdain's Chef Lance Casteau, who was also a maniac. Archer knew all the techniques and even got to cook with the freshest ingredients just like Tyler.

407-archer-abbab.gif

At the end of the episode, Bourdain tells Archer:

663eaeb9-7946-41df-89b4-a197ebbe1b12_text.gif

Slowik was just like Bourdain's Chef in Archer with the "don't eat."

4qEL.gif

I thought the ending was great. How many times do you say "ahh, u shoulda did that from the beginning" :damn:when you're watching a horror movie? All the time. But then, you wouldn't have a movie. The movie cleverly acknowledges this and puts it into action at the end.

Early on, Margot tells Tyler that she's gonna send the food back after she sees the tortillas with his laser printed picture- taking picture. He won't let her. He calls her a child and a "dolt," I think. He tells her that you don't send food back here. She brilliantly does it at the end, after flipping the script with the clap.
Had she done that shyt at the beginning, she wouldn't have had to stab that Asian witch in the neck. :banderas: And we wouldn't have half a movie. I thought it was really well done. :ehh: Pun intended.

I would imagine, if you listed all the wild shyt that happens in this movie it would be a lot, but this movie never seems to completely go off the rails, it always sort of resets the tone back to zero every time.

Chef Slowik with the resetting clap

the-menu-fiennes.gif

Lurking Class Hero

Medicine for loneliness
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thought this was really funny. Not sure it's worth paying for at the cinema, but pretty good overall.

I could imagine some academic version of this with Jordan Peterson :russ: and Tyler as one of his teenage fanboys.

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Saw it last night. Enjoyed it better than I thought I would. A few scenes gave it sort of a "Twilight Zone" feeling. It also kinda had a "Get Out" touch to it as well, accept the people in trouble were White. And hearing that guess shout, "Get Out!", added some comedy to the film.

Speaking of "Get Out", with the passive aggressive treatment they were getting from the staff, especially from that Asian waitress, it reminded me how it felt being the only Black person working with mostly Whites and non-Blacks, on my former IT job. Not only did I experience passive aggressive treatment in the office, but sometimes on travel, and at luncheons. The first part of this movie was like watching them get back the treatment they gave out to Black people, accept the bad treatment was coming from everybody, including their own kind. Then things got really crazy.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting anything like this. As far as keeping my attention, I'll put it on the same level as "Barbarian" and "Smile".

Last edited:

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
Saw it on a billboard at lunch, reminded me of The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Will check it out this weekend.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Loved this, though it is a slight movie, it has such sharp writing, black humor, it's very good, and I go to those kinds of places, and would easily have done the $1200 experience from Hawthorne., so I am perfect audience for this. I love and indulge in foodie culture, been to a lot of Michelin star places, just went to a three star last month, which just got it's 3rd star! There's some fair criticism, though the Margo character is played pretty broad, she is supposed to represent the common viewer/voice of reason, but just like expensive watches, or hotels, or shoes, or ANYTHING really you can mock it and dismiss it, if you don't get it, or aren't a part of it.

I went and got a double cheeseburger from a local spot right after lol

The social satire and themes are done well enough to have me questioning where I would stand in the Chef's estimation as a giver or a taker, which means the movie is working.

Again, theater experience where no one laughed but me, if you aren't laughing in this movie, I don't see how or why you would possibly sit through 100 some odd minutes.

Daps
Loved this, though it is a slight movie, it has such sharp writing, black humor, it's very good, and I go to those kinds of places, and would easily have done the $1200 experience from Hawthorne., so I am perfect audience for this. I love and indulge in foodie culture, been to a lot of Michelin star places, just went to a three star last month, which just got it's 3rd star! There's some fair criticism, though the Margo character is played pretty broad, she is supposed to represent the common viewer/voice of reason, but just like expensive watches, or hotels, or shoes, or ANYTHING really you can mock it and dismiss it, if you don't get it, or aren't a part of it.

I went and got a double cheeseburger from a local spot right after lol

The social satire and themes are done well enough to have me questioning where I would stand in the Chef's estimation as a giver or a taker, which means the movie is working.

Again, theater experience where no one laughed but me, if you aren't laughing in this movie, I don't see how or why you would possibly sit through 100 some odd minutes.
I came away from this film with the exact opposite reaction/opinion.

It was predictable, generic and half-baked its way through the narrative. Because it didn't completely lean into its satire nature, it ended up undermining everything. There was no real absurdity, or cartoonish, or maniacal context to it, which to me is what makes satire effective, especially if you're tackling the culinary/critic world.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I came away from this film with the exact opposite reaction/opinion.

It was predictable, generic and half-baked its way through the narrative. Because it didn't completely lean into its satire nature, it ended up undermining everything. There was no real absurdity, or cartoonish, or maniacal context to it, which to me is what makes satire effective, especially if you're tackling the culinary/critic world.

That's fair criticism, though I vastly would prefer understated satire for material like this, than anything cartoonish, or absurd. This had thinly sketched characters, and wasn't hard hitting in terms of social criticism. I felt it had enough suspense, laughs, and satire to work. This may touch on your point overall, I read this last week.

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
Also I’m sure everyone knows a pretentious ass like Tyler :pachaha:

Reminds me of people who’d be in the sidelines at basketball courts yelling out plays and analyzing sets, but when you’d give them the ball they could barely dribble :mjlol: