The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

Gravity

Banned
Daps
What is "being a man"? Are the standards of "being a man" harmful to black male youth or just black males overall? What are the terms associated with the idea of masculinity? do you feel any pressure if you do not conform to this idea of masculinity? what part does the media play into these things?

I just wanted to bring these issues out into the open and see if we can have an conversation, if you all want to.
The demonization of masculinity in men is what has hurt the black community as a whole. These days black women are damn near just as masculine as black men and that's a huge problem.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
The idea of "being a man" has gotten so twisted and convoluted these days. One person will tell you being a man is being a crutch to a woman. Another person will tell you being a man is being some tactless, unfeeling force of nature whos only goal is to hoard success, money and women.
It seems like parents would have a hard time teaching what real masculinity is because there's not even a concrete definition on what that is. People just say what is convenient to them at the moment.
Because being a man is simply having a dikk and being of age based on your environment. Being a successful man who is useful means a lot more. A lot more.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
No suprise fakkits like @Knuckles Red would dap the op :francis:

Only in the black community black males cannot be masculine to combat males of other races. This is a white supramacist tactic. But at the same time bw wants us to protect them. We cannot product y'all if your men ain't masculine enough. Double wammy.

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
The demonization of masculinity in men is what has hurt the black community as a whole. These days black women are damn near just as masculine as black men and that's a huge problem.
Yes and these women tend to emasculate their sons and their bfs/hubbys. A lot of black women tend to be bossy, overbearing and controlling. This doesn't set the proper dynamic for healthy family structure.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
What is "being a man"? Are the standards of "being a man" harmful to black male youth or just black males overall? What are the terms associated with the idea of masculinity? do you feel any pressure if you do not conform to this idea of masculinity? what part does the media play into these things?

I just wanted to bring these issues out into the open and see if we can have an conversation, if you all want to.
OP I have a question. What answers are you looking for because I see you debating with people who have one opinion. But not @Knuckles Red ect. Are you just looking for answers that prove you right? Or are you truly playing devils advocate?

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
I'm gonna ask right now, what is wrong with a "black guy in heels"? what happens to those who do not meet you're ideas of "masculinity"?
"
'
If you approve of feminity within black males then don't complain about blsck men not protecting y'all. You can't have it both ways.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I honestly plan and raising my sons and daughters the same way.

Education and awareness first.
Discipline and faith is 2nd and the one I am most forceful about.
Goals and skill development is 3rd.
After that, you can play and enjoy being a kid. Playing toys, games, etc.

By the time you are 18, when you enter college, you must know how to code in 2 programming languages, understand how to do cyber security from the ground and you must know the basic in financial literacy

I will do the same. All my kids will be guaranteed professional school paid for. I will not pay for undergrad. I have higher expectations.

I will give you a starter pack. You can start your career at my business which isn't here yet but will be.

I will give pay for a two week vacation for your high school graduation or you can use that money to add to your portfolio if you have one.

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
OP I have a question. What answers are you looking for because I see you debating with people who have one opinion. But not @Knuckles Red ect. Are you just looking for answers that prove you right? Or are you truly playing devils advocate?

:mjpls: i want to see where these ans
wers actually goes......and i was just asking questions

If you approve of feminity within black males then don't complain about blsck men not protecting y'all. You can't have it both ways.

what are you talking about?I'm just asking questions....fukk. Cant ol girl ask questions

Last edited:

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps

Only in the black community black males cannot be masculine to combat males of other races. This is a white supramacist tactic. But at the same time bw wants us to protect them. We cannot product y'all if your men ain't masculine enough. Double wammy.
Nobody is saying black males can't be masculine. There are nuances in this discussion that you're clearly not picking up on. Your emotions seem to be getting the best of you. A common trait among the fatherless...

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps

this was suppose to be an productive conversation.. the key word here is productive. No name calling.