The idea of Masculinity: is it harmful or helpful to today's black male youth?

Ghost_In_A_Shell

Talk No Jutsu
Daps
Apedemak%20sprite%202_zpsbff3fcm4.jpg

This is Masculinity. The Media wants us to think feminine bytch ass dudes is whats up and acceptable. My son will know how to kill by 3.

We must re-educate our children before people like young thug make them believe wearing high heels is acceptable behavior as a straight male.

Don't mind me. I am just a game developer being unapologetic.

I'm gonna ask right now, what is wrong with a "black guy in heels"? what happens to those who do not meet you're ideas of "masculinity"?
"
'

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Some people might be taught that but y'all suburban dudes gotta stop with the craziness. Outside of the first one you sound like some white person that takes pictures with black kids in foreign countries and sad thing is a lot of you cats on here be on that stupid shyt. Idgaf what y'all say y'all might be black but y'all can't convince me y'all from nowhere but the nicest of neighborhoods or in the words of Hov "you ain't live it you witnessed it from your folks pad" cause its too much stereotyping going on that reeks of cats with no connection to the situation period. The first thing you mentioned is definitely being part of a man just like getting a dude that will commit seems to be a thing for a lot of women to harp on
Yea dude be on some shyt sometimes

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
Toxic masculinity is bad for everyone. For black men I feel that masculinity is more of an issue if you grow up without a father. The validation and security that comes from a father/son relationship sets a foundation on which you build your life. Dudes who grow up without a father suffer because every movement, thought, action becomes a desperate attempt to prove to the world that they are "real" men. This is especially detrimental because usually fatherless males don't know what a real man is, so they operate on an exaggerated, hypersexualized, hyper masculine idea of what they think a real man is. Fatherless males are often impulsive, emotionally unstable, and unable to express themselves in a nonviolent way. Chris Brown would be the perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I feel a good amount of Black and Latino men in the Bronx and Harlem (where i'm mostly at) are confused as to what a man is, and how being a productive, member of society is important for our community. But it's hard to be perfect, my thing is if u're healthy and still selling drugs, then u okay, at least u got one thing right. I think first thing first comes our health, then taking care of personal responsibilities with out causing harm to self or others.

Some of the dudes I was around for guidance when I first jumped back into school an work were confused, and I was confused. But it is what it is, maybe I'm confused. We are who we want to be.

IslandG

All Star
Daps
The black youth is taught that masculinity = how many women you smash, how many pairs of Jordans you own, how long your rapsheet is, how many bodies you got, how much drugs you"ve sold and basicly how tough and violent you are. In the black community, thats considered a "real n1kka".
:camby:

Daps
Being a man isn't about being tough and aggressive

Masculine traits: Honor, steadfastness, discipline, courage, sense of responsibility, Strength, sacrifice, noble, dominant, competitive, confident

Tell me how those things are traits we shouldn't instill in all young men :francis:

My son will have all of these traits taught to him, your sons are free to twerk tho:yeshrug:
those arent masculine traits, those are hallmarks of person of good character
if people aren't teaching their daughter these same traits, they lost

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Some of those are values and arent exclusive to masculinity but meh.... :ehh:

Values aren't exclusive to ANYONE. But some things are easier to do for men. Easier for a man to be a protector and provider etc based on numerous societal norms.

Just like a man can be caring and nurturing as well. Just based on our norms that easier for a woman to do.

A good man knows how to do the things listed above but also be a nurturing father and not just an enforcer of laws within the home.

MegaManX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm gonna ask right now, what is wrong with a "black guy in heels"? what happens to those who do not meet you're ideas of "masculinity"?
"
'
I don't know if this is a joke or not.

Men in heels is by definition not masculine. Do i care if gay dudes wear heels? No. But no one is going to make me believe a dude rocking heels is "masculine."

Kitsune

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we live in a post-industrial society governed by technology and industry, humans are domesticated ,the natural order of things eventually becomes obscured and that includes the natural dynamic between man and woman. Woman lose nothing by being domesticated, men loss everything. Remove the artificial constructs mentioned above and a question like this wouldn't even exist

Edit: Oh this is about black people, thought this was a general question, nvermind

Last edited:

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Toxic masculinity is bad for everyone. For black men I feel that masculinity is more of an issue if you grow up without a father. The validation and security that comes from a father/son relationship sets a foundation on which you build your life. Dudes who grow up without a father suffer because every movement, thought, action becomes a desperate attempt to prove to the world that they are "real" men. This is especially detrimental because usually fatherless males don't know what a real man is, so they operate on an exaggerated, hypersexualized, hyper masculine idea of what they think a real man is. Fatherless males are often impulsive, emotionally unstable, and unable to express themselves in a nonviolent way. Chris Brown would be the perfect example of what I'm talking about.
They need father figures, "surrogate fathers". If there father isn't available whether physically or emotionally. They will look for that example of manhood elsewhere. But fathers are the first example a boy has. Whether his father is there or not, that teaches a son a lesson about how a man handles his responsibilities.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
Values aren't exclusive to ANYONE. But some things are easier to do for men. Easier for a man to be a protector and provider etc based on numerous societal norms.

Just like a man can be caring and nurturing as well. Just based on our norms that easier for a woman to do.

A good man knows how to do the things listed above but also be a nurturing father and not just an enforcer of laws within the home.
Duh. If its not exclusive to masculinity, it isnt exclusive to femininity either. I shouldnt have to say that. Like I already said as did others, some of the things listed are values and not sexual/gendered traits. I dont know the point of your post. Are you trying to teach me something...? I never argued those posts so... You couldve posted that without quoting me.

No need to quote this post either.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
I don't know if this is a joke or not.

Men in heels is by definition not masculine. Do i care if gay dudes wear heels? No. But no one is going to make me believe a dude rocking heels is "masculine."
Heels were originally made for men, for riding horses and holding on to the stirups.

No one is trying to make wearing heels masculine. That's not the point.